Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

NashAsh posted:

In one of the Opera threads, it was said that the two-line Enter is supposed to be a feature, and that shift-Enter skips only a single-line. I don't know what garbled text problem you're talking about though. Screenshot?

I'm no longer able to reproduce the garbled text problem because I told someone about it. Obviously.

However, two-line enter by default is an incredibly retarded "feature," and I wish to disable it rather than rewiring my muscle memory to use shift-enter. How can I do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Casao posted:

opera:config#UserPrefs|EnableScrollMarker

That the point? Cause I just disabled that, hoping it kills it.

I still don't understand exactly what it's supposed to do.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

SecretFire posted:

Say you're scrolling down a page with page down. It goes one screens height at a time, right? Let's say there are 3.5 screen heights on the page. You start on 1, press it once and you're now on 2. Press it again, you hit 3. There's only half a page left though, so you can only go down half a page. What it does is show a bar where the bottom of the last "page" was, the bottom of your old view.

I don't know what use it has, but that's how it works as far as I am aware.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

SecretFire posted:

Took me a second to figure it out. Basically its a marker to indicate the bottom of a page before you scrolled. So move yourself to the top of a given page and look at whats at the very bottom. Then scroll by flicking the mouse wheel or something. If you see that marker, it should indicate the bottom of where you just were.

In my opinion its completely useless, so I'll probably turn it off.

Edit: beaten... but w/e keeping my post.
Edit2: Actually not beaten, I think Casao has a different idea of what it does.

hobolooter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 7, 2008

DevastatorIIC
Nov 13, 2006

Dvorak- Ubuntu- KDE- and Opera-fag

Casao posted:

I don't know what use it has, but that's how it works as far as I am aware.

hobolooter posted:

In my opinion its completely useless, so I'll probably turn it off.

Well I think it's awesome. I hate having to backtrack and find out where I last read, only to find out it was about one line from the bottom.

case
Mar 27, 2005

Is there a keyboard shortcut for re-open last closed page? I can't remember how I set it up, I think it was from a few Opera threads ago. It was bound to ctrl+alt+z but there doesn't seems to be an option in shortcuts.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

case posted:

Is there a keyboard shortcut for re-open last closed page? I can't remember how I set it up, I think it was from a few Opera threads ago. It was bound to ctrl+alt+z but there doesn't seems to be an option in shortcuts.

Just Ctrl+Z works for me, you could also try Ctrl+Shift+T (or whatever it says under Window -> Closed).

case
Mar 27, 2005

ColdPie posted:

Just Ctrl+Z works for me, you could also try Ctrl+Shift+T (or whatever it says under Window -> Closed).

Spot on. Thanks!

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice
I've always known about this "feature" but thought I might mention it here:

If you start a mouse gesture on a tab for any window (active or inactive), it'll perform whatever function on that tab. If you want to refresh a background tab, you can hold right-click and move up then down. Or closing a tab you can hold right-click and move down then right. You can also go back/forward with the mouse button rocking gestures too.

It's useless most of the time, but it's kind of useful in selecting/closing a bunch of tabs without activating them.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

NashAsh posted:

If you start a mouse gesture on a tab for any window (active or inactive), it'll perform whatever function on that tab. If you want to refresh a background tab, you can hold right-click and move up then down. Or closing a tab you can hold right-click and move down then right. You can also go back/forward with the mouse button rocking gestures too.

It's useless most of the time, but it's kind of useful in selecting/closing a bunch of tabs without activating them.

I think someone mentioned this earlier, and yeah I agree, it's a loving sweet feature.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stanley Pain posted:

Holy crap Opera 10 is FAST. Facebook has never felt this responsive. What're some good pages to test out javascript performance?

Netvibes.

Arranging the widgets on Netvibes, moving them into other tabs, or just moving them inside a tab. So smooth...

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006
I'm still getting many random issues with Facebook, GMail, and SA. All of these sites I tend to frequent on a regular basis. Opera tends to do things to piss me off, but having pages fail to work properly is just really obnoxious. An example is posting to someones wall on facebook, it doesn't show up. So I mashed the enter key thinking it was just slow and it posted like 7 times. GMail often gets stuck between inbox and compose, which is just a hassle to refresh.

Opera is still my preferred and default browser, I just wish they'd fix the little things. I also think all my problems stem from the javascript engine. Maybe they sacrificed stability for speed? Who knows.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hobolooter posted:

I'm still getting many random issues with Facebook, GMail, and SA. All of these sites I tend to frequent on a regular basis. Opera tends to do things to piss me off, but having pages fail to work properly is just really obnoxious. An example is posting to someones wall on facebook, it doesn't show up. So I mashed the enter key thinking it was just slow and it posted like 7 times. GMail often gets stuck between inbox and compose, which is just a hassle to refresh.

Opera is still my preferred and default browser, I just wish they'd fix the little things. I also think all my problems stem from the javascript engine. Maybe they sacrificed stability for speed? Who knows.

The facebook wonkiness was fixed a few releases ago, you should probably upgrade.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

The facebook wonkiness was fixed a few releases ago, you should probably upgrade.

Issues appeared the latest stable as well as Opera 10 Alpha (which is what I was mainly ranting about).

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

hobolooter posted:

Opera 10 Alpha (which is what I was mainly ranting about).

How about submitting bugs? That's probably a pretty productive use of your time.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

hobolooter posted:

Why is it that people don't know how to not double post? Hit submit once, and if it doesn't do anything, hit refresh and it will probably be there. This isn't directed at you specifically, since you're obviously having recurring problems here, but generally speaking, browsers hang every once in a while, it happens. That poo poo reminds me of people that double click everything, including things like hyperlinks.

NashAsh posted:

I love this feature too. Opera has made Mouse Gestures a staple for me. If the browser doesn't have mouse gestures, it's crap to me now. :colbert:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Anunnaki posted:

I love this feature too. Opera has made Mouse Gestures a staple for me. If the browser doesn't have mouse gestures, it's crap to me now. :colbert:

It's true. Mouse gestures spoil you and don't go to any web browser without them, lest you find yourself trying to close a tab without the cursor anywhere near the tab.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Did you know: Clicking on a image while holding Ctrl opens the "Save image as" dialog.

<-- Try it now.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anunnaki posted:

Why is it that people don't know how to not double post? Hit submit once, and if it doesn't do anything, hit refresh and it will probably be there. This isn't directed at you specifically, since you're obviously having recurring problems here, but generally speaking, browsers hang every once in a while, it happens. That poo poo reminds me of people that double click everything, including things like hyperlinks.

On the forums at least, it happens sometimes on accident. I get it because my mouse will randomly read a double click when the batteries get low.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

It's ajax. It never reloads... Its not like I can't tell the difference between a hang and an asynchronous call. btw, that was pretty much my first double post ever. :-p

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Wheany posted:

Did you know: Clicking on a image while holding Ctrl opens the "Save image as" dialog.

<-- Try it now.

Wow, I did not know that.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Wheany posted:

<-- Try it now.

:aaaaa:

What do I have to do to get Opera 10 to inherit my skins, tab layout, bookmarks, etc? They're not all covered by Opera Sync, right?

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention

Satire Forum Mom posted:

That page line is in 9.62. You just have to enable it.
And I just did. I think it's pretty handy because I get lost in walls of text because of paging up and down all the time. Well, not all the time but enough of the time for this feature to be worthwhile.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

bartkusa posted:

:aaaaa:

What do I have to do to get Opera 10 to inherit my skins, tab layout, bookmarks, etc? They're not all covered by Opera Sync, right?

Goto the preferences directory, C:\Users\NAME\AppData\Roaming\Opera and copy the Opera preference into Opera 10 Alpha.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NashAsh posted:

If you start a mouse gesture on a tab for any window (active or inactive), it'll perform whatever function on that tab.

Anunnaki posted:

Casao posted:

On the forums at least, it happens sometimes on accident. I get it because my mouse will randomly read a double click when the batteries get low.

I think it's kind of interesting how mouse-focused you guys are while I'm completely keyboard-focused. Want to switch tabs? Ctrl-tab. Close a tab? Ctrl-W. Open a new tab? Ctrl-T. Reload current tab? Ctrl-R. Submit a post? Tab, space.

Note that those are all left-handed shortcuts, so you can use the mouse to click links or go back & forward (thanks rocker gestures! the only ones I use) and use these keyboard shortcuts at the same time.

Also just goes to show how awesome Opera is since it supports mouse-focused and keyboard-focused styles perfectly :)

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ColdPie posted:

I think it's kind of interesting how mouse-focused you guys are while I'm completely keyboard-focused. Want to switch tabs? Ctrl-tab. Close a tab? Ctrl-W. Open a new tab? Ctrl-T. Reload current tab? Ctrl-R. Submit a post? Tab, space.

Note that those are all left-handed shortcuts, so you can use the mouse to click links or go back & forward (thanks rocker gestures! the only ones I use) and use these keyboard shortcuts at the same time.

Also just goes to show how awesome Opera is since it supports mouse-focused and keyboard-focused styles perfectly :)

It's really just personal preference. Web applications are generally very visual, so I'll use the mouse. But when I'm at work, using QuickBooks, or Word, I'll use the keyboard for everything and just tab/shift-tab all over the place.

Edit: VVVVVVVVV

Yeah, one of the things that bugs me about Opera is that the Fast Forward feature doesn't always work. A lot of the time that I try to use it, it brings me to the last page, or the next thread (depending on the site).

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 10, 2008

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
ColdPie, I assume you know about Shift + Arrow Keys?

Also: hitting space space space space spaENDOFPAGEce space will go to the next page of a multipage thread. It uses the fast forward feature.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

down1nit posted:

ColdPie, I assume you know about Shift + Arrow Keys?

I didn't actually, that might come in handy sometime. Thanks

Anunnaki posted:

Edit: VVVVVVVVV

Yeah, one of the things that bugs me about Opera is that the Fast Forward feature doesn't always work. A lot of the time that I try to use it, it brings me to the last page, or the next thread (depending on the site).

Please please please don't futurequote.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
I've just installed Opera 10.0, but I can't switch tabs with keys 1 and 2. Can anyone recall how you bring back the old keyboard shortcuts, because fidgeting with the Shortcuts tab doesn't seem to work.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Zuffox posted:

I've just installed Opera 10.0, but I can't switch tabs with keys 1 and 2. Can anyone recall how you bring back the old keyboard shortcuts, because fidgeting with the Shortcuts tab doesn't seem to work.

Shortcuts -> check enable single key shortcuts. Or something like that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Stupid question which has probably been answered at some point. In older versions of Opera, and IE, you could hover your mouse over a link, and it would show what that link is in the Status bar. I'm running 9.62 and can't figure out for the life of me how to do this. Did they just take that feature out, or what?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Rat posted:

Stupid question which has probably been answered at some point. In older versions of Opera, and IE, you could hover your mouse over a link, and it would show what that link is in the Status bar. I'm running 9.62 and can't figure out for the life of me how to do this. Did they just take that feature out, or what?

make sure view->toolbars->status bar is checked.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

It's checked, it just doesn't show any URLs when I hover the mouse over links like it used to back in the bygone previous editions.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

The Rat posted:

It's checked, it just doesn't show any URLs when I hover the mouse over links like it used to back in the bygone previous editions.

Something is wrong then. Make an html page and test it out with nothing else on the page.

something like:
code:
<a href="http://google.com/">Google.com</a>

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Perhaps your Status Bar has been modified to be without the Status Field?

Use Tools | Appearance | Buttons and try to add it back
I just verified that "Status Field" is what you want.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Okay, I'm seeing what you mean in the Tools/Appearance/Buttons section. It has 'Documents' and 'Total' highlighted. However it doesn't seem to be letting me enable the others, be it by double-clicking, dragging, or anything else.

Maybe I'm a three-thumbed retard or something.

Jale
Nov 6, 2005

The Rat posted:

Okay, I'm seeing what you mean in the Tools/Appearance/Buttons section. It has 'Documents' and 'Total' highlighted. However it doesn't seem to be letting me enable the others, be it by double-clicking, dragging, or anything else.

Maybe I'm a three-thumbed retard or something.
Click the text that says "staus field" and drag it to the bottom of the screen.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Holy gently caress my mind is blown.

Thanks dude, I totally didn't get how that was supposed to work.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Jale posted:

Click the text that says "staus field" and drag it to the bottom of the screen.

What he said, yeah.

Opera toolbar customization works by dragging stuff (like the items in the Appearance dialog) to the toolbars and dropping them there. My guess is that at some point you right clicked the "status field" part of the status bar and hit "remove from toolbar" or some config otherwise corrupted itself to do the equivalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reisen
Aug 5, 2005

I've been using the bookmark synch feature, and it's great for adding new bookmarks to multiple computers, but if I delete a bookmark it just comes back the next time it synchs. How can I delete bookmarks?