Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

SGT. Squeaks posted:

yeah, if it's too dark to see the tv, it's obviously too dark. Thanks guys! I'll lighten it up a bit. I'll fix the texture too.

I think a lot of what it needs is bounced light, so start adding a few kickers and lights which will illuminate the back of things a bit, also try adding a glow to the TV screen somehow so you can see where the light is coming from even if you can't see the light itself. Also maybe increase the brightness of the light the TV is emitting, since I guess thats where you want people to look, and especially if there's a character in the scene he will need some sort of stronger light in order to see him clearly.

DefMech posted:

I've been learning a new piece of software lately that's entirely NURBS based. I just glanced at the thread title again and it popped out at me. Does anyone else here actually use NURBS/Solids modeling very often? I figure most of that discipline is in the engineering field and not so much entertainment/art these days.

I've seen a few people having a blast in MOI which is free. Mainly for modelling solid, individual objects. The only reason I personally use them is when rigging, parametric surfaces are still a crucial part of everyone's toolset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

tuna posted:

I've seen a few people having a blast in MOI which is free. Mainly for modelling solid, individual objects. The only reason I personally use them is when rigging, parametric surfaces are still a crucial part of everyone's toolset.

Could you elaborate on this? Rigging for me is binding stuff to a skeleton, though I admit that I pretty much do bare bones rigging.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I might as well throw this up here:

(click for larger)

I've been battling with getting ZB deformation of the suit wrinkles into XSI and I hate the process. UVs don't work properly so there's lots of fixing the image in photoshop, remapping the displacement image range so to match what it should look like, Ultimapper in XSI kept giving me big black marks on the image so I couldn't use that. I hate this process, and I've still got a ton of things to fix and design the helmet and texture his skin and :(
Hopefully it's a decent mix of new/retro space styles. I love the silver aircraft and shiny suits they wore in them and the pioneering spirit of the 50's with rocketry and jets, so I'm going to aim for that a bit.

SynthOrange posted:

Could you elaborate on this? Rigging for me is binding stuff to a skeleton, though I admit that I pretty much do bare bones rigging.

You can use curves and surfaces in all sorts of funky ways to drive/constrain deformers or whatever you wish. It's useful being able to drive things based on the UV coordinates of NURBS that you can't do on polygons. Usually for more complex deformation in a rig (like on a face or something complex with layers of deformations happening I.E. deformers that need to adapt and work with previous deformers), simply having a rotating bone or a movable object won't get you where you want, so you could use nurbs/curves to help drive or constrain layered controls that do things like : collision intersection, moving deformers explicitly along a complex surface, mapping object positions along a surface, etc. etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks.

As for ZB/XSI problems, I had something similar crop up when painting my Max models in ZB. ZB divides up polygons differently to Max, causing no end of headaches when I first discovered it. The workaround is to subdivide the model a few times before exporting it to paint in ZB.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

Thanks.

As for ZB/XSI problems, I had something similar crop up when painting my Max models in ZB. ZB divides up polygons differently to Max, causing no end of headaches when I first discovered it. The workaround is to subdivide the model a few times before exporting it to paint in ZB.

Does that not mess up the the way the displacement is mapped on the UVs? It sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a shot next time I jump in there, cheers. What I found was at the very borders of the islands ZB would make the displacement colour bright white and black like marching ants, which sometimes exploded the mesh along certain seams, so I painted those parts out in photoshop and it was all fine again, but at that point I can't go back into ZB and carry on painting so it isn't a good non-linear workflow. I would've just done it in Modo (which I quite like for painting), but I can't get the Vector Displacement map from Modo working in XSI/MR.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah, actually you might be having a different problem entirely. Have you tried using the 'Fix Seam' button in ZB's Tool>Texture menu? That extends the edge pixels on a texture. The amount it does this by can be controlled using the FSBorder slider.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Yeah I gave that a quick try but nothing really happened so I went back to Photoshop . I think I need to read up on how properly to use it.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

tuna posted:

That's exactly the program I was referring to, but it's definitely not free :) It's an extremely simple and fun program, basically the Sketchup of NURBS, but still a different enough workflow to be challenging. I love being able to boolean my heart out and still end up with a clean mesh.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Oh poo poo it's $200 :confused:

I always thought it was gaining popularity because it was free. Must be actually quite fun then :)

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

tuna posted:

You can use curves and surfaces in all sorts of funky ways to drive/constrain deformers or whatever you wish. It's useful being able to drive things based on the UV coordinates of NURBS that you can't do on polygons. Usually for more complex deformation in a rig (like on a face or something complex with layers of deformations happening I.E. deformers that need to adapt and work with previous deformers), simply having a rotating bone or a movable object won't get you where you want, so you could use nurbs/curves to help drive or constrain layered controls that do things like : collision intersection, moving deformers explicitly along a complex surface, mapping object positions along a surface, etc. etc.

Were using a really cool folicle system in maya 08 on our main rigs.

basically, constrain two ends of a divided nurbs place to your joints (say, shoulder and elbow), add a hair folicle to the center of each nurbs division, then a whole lot of mess of locators and bones and heirachy poo poo.

The folicles always stay in the center of the nurbs division, meaning you can can control the portion with true elasticity and twistyness. its totally sweet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Clearly my rigging-fu is weak and I should pick up a dedicated book on it.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
http://www.fahrenheitdigital.com/dvds/rigging/ - these dvds are long and slow (and slightly dated), but theyre the best to get up to speed on rigging (in maya atleast). He starts everything from scratch.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I have met Aaron Holly and he seemed like a really nice guy.
(ninja edit: He created RIGGING FOR FEATURE ANIMATION) He is the brother of one of the admission reps at my school and was nice enough to give a talk about rigging once. His brother told me he is at WETA now. Really been meaning to watch that DVD too. Thanks for reminding me.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 4, 2008

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Kirby posted:

Were using a really cool folicle system in maya 08 on our main rigs.

Yeah I use ribbons for spines and limbs for most character rigs, they're a really nice way of doing things. Except in XSI I can use a fast surface constraint, or a multithreaded ICE compound to do the trick instead of Maya's slow hacked up way of using follicles :madmax: :hellyeah:

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

tuna posted:

Yeah I use ribbons for spines and limbs for most character rigs, they're a really nice way of doing things. Except in XSI I can use a fast surface constraint, or a multithreaded ICE compound to do the trick instead of Maya's slow hacked up way of using follicles :madmax: :hellyeah:

** NEW TO MAYA 2010 **

- nICE
- Improved surface constraints
- FACE ROBOT
- everything else we can rip out from the Softimage catalouge
:hellyeah:

Kirby fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 4, 2008

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Haha

I just can't wait to use the view cube in XSI 2009

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
So just how unlikely is it that with Maya and now XSI under Autodesk's wing, we'll see an overhaul of Max's material editor?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But I've become used to suffering!

Lamb-Blaster 4000
Sep 20, 2007

still working on my film strip from last page, I need to make a projector effect, nothing special, just need a flickering light. I've googled around for a tutorial, and only found one that said to put a noise map on my intensity. Not sure what I'm doing wrong with that, but it's not working.

3d studio 9
Mental Ray
Targeted Spot Light

EDIT-

I applied a noise controller to the light's multiplier, it's working well, though I'd like more refined control over the effect

Lamb-Blaster 4000 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 4, 2008

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The 3D emoticon thread inspired me to pick up a new hobby :)

I downloaded Blender (pretty awesome considering it's free), watched the intro tutorials from BlenderUnderground (highly recommended if you're a newbie like me) and decided to try my hands on car modelling. The first two attempts where horrible abortions with incredibly messed up meshes, but now I'm slowly getting the idea I think.

Still a long way to go detailing this one. I don't even want to think about the interior :cry:

I want to see more pretty pictures from the pros!

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

DefMech posted:

So just how unlikely is it that with Maya and now XSI under Autodesk's wing, we'll see an overhaul of Max's material editor?

I didn't say this, but Autodesk is doing a major UI (and core) overhaul for max 2011 (so that's after 2010, yes).

If you tell anyone, i will come to your house and stab you! :ese:

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
So I went into work and a few of us got the below email in our inboxes:

*Sigh*

I suppose this can be applied for any industry, but folks, in this business keep business emails for business only and keep personal details out of them.

Some guy at a studio sent a private email to an alias by mistake and it got beamed to most of the tv networks and fx studios in Los Angeles.

No one responded for a few hours but man.. what a boner...

Names/companies removed to protect the idiotic...

Somebody who didn't check his email settings posted:

Dear [recipient],

This past summer I was apprehended by the police for soliciting a prostitute. Without going into too much detail, my fine was $100.00 and fourteen days of community service. This past week I was reminded by my attorney that I must accomplish this task by January 4th . Unfortunately, I am only able to fulfill my obligation on the weekend.

At this juncture of the [software] class, since i'm not an artist and will never aspire to be one, I feel that with the aid of the on-line tutorial, I have reached my initial goal, that of which was to understand what [software] is.

Please advise me, as to whether we can work out an agreement where neither you or myself are penalized, and whereupon I may be able to fulfill by legal obligation.

Much thanks and happy holidays to YOU and YOURS !
[sender]

ps

I will be calling you later today

That guy must be pulling his hair out now.

It's still pretty drat funny.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 5, 2008

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

BigKOfJustice posted:

So I went into work and a few of us got the below email in our inboxes:

*Sigh*

I suppose this can be applied for any industry, but folks, in this business keep business emails for business only and keep personal details out of them.

Some guy at a studio sent a private email to an alias by mistake and it got beamed to most of the tv networks and fx studios in Los Angeles.

No one responded for a few hours but man.. what a boner...

Names/companies removed to protect the idiotic...

That guy must be pulling his hair out now.

It's still pretty drat funny.

That's probably the easiest, though not the best way to get your name noticed and remembered in an industry.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

How one keystroke can ruin a career.

:downsbravo:

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Hahahahaha that is GOLD. I remember once on a huge CG email list I'm on- some kid and his friend got hold of his fathers email while he was out of the room/house and started cussing out everyone on the list. Funny poo poo.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Gobelins, one of those awesome French animation schools, just updated their student work section. As usual, lots of stuff worth taking a look at:

http://www.gobelins.fr/galerie/animation/

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

DefMech posted:

Gobelins, one of those awesome French animation schools, just updated their student work section. As usual, lots of stuff worth taking a look at:

http://www.gobelins.fr/galerie/animation/

"After the rain" was very well done, but it made absolutely no sense :D

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Start of my new scene. Simple shapes to denote where objects will generally be, very basic lighting set up. I'm mostly trying to get the cameras/composition set up before I get to work.
http://www.vimeo.com/2480792

Yasha From Russia
Apr 6, 2006
with a thousand words say but one
I started studying animation in June and have just completed my final project for the year. We had 3 weeks to model, texture, rig, animate and everything else in 3 weeks. here is what i came up with:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGnZ15sGXg

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yasha From Russia posted:

I started studying animation in June and have just completed my final project for the year. We had 3 weeks to model, texture, rig, animate and everything else in 3 weeks. here is what i came up with:

I personally think the song is much too annoying for it's own good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yasha From Russia posted:

Not terrible...I kinda dig the song. My main problem is that most of the movements and actions don't feel like they have real weight behind them or are working on wonky physics. Study motion and the principles of animation a little more and it will be worlds better next time. It was a lot better than I expected for a "I just started" animation.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
Yeah most people who do a 'Just started' animation, mean just that. They're still getting used to the program but I can tell if you managed to do that within 3 weeks you at least have a good idea of how to do what you want. You just need to get the principles down. Which is a definite good thing. You're well on your way to getting somewhere good.

So taking a look at that Universities work makes me cry. I wish I had the creative vision to come up with visuals like that. I can do the work, I just don't think I can invent something that stylistic and good looking. However living in Tokyo and having lots of free time means I'm able to work a lot more on this stuff now. In-between teaching English I have plenty of free time. I'm going to try to do something soon :)

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
w00t I got accepted for an internship at SideFX in Toronto, I start in Feb!

I am going to freeze my nuts off...

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

^^^ Congratulations!!!

Here is a WIP render of a friend's character I am working on modeling:

Max2008 + Mray

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

^^^ Congratulations!!!

Here is a WIP render of a friend's character I am working on modeling:

Max2008 + Mray

Long enough legs?

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

Fayez Butts posted:

Long enough legs?

And big enough feet?

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
she's quite triangular in nature. Strong wind couldn't knock her down, no way.

Anyway, anyone else sign up for the gnomon masterclass?
Some really good stuff on there, I've skimmed some and watched the Cinematic Lighting class with Jeremy Vickery.

Also the whole 'only available online! not saved or stored for later viewing!' thing is a bit of a non issue if you just check your browser cache :ssh: i thought they would atleast try some fancy encoding or something.

bigredbutton
Feb 22, 2006

The jolly, candy-like button!

Nap Ghost
Bioware has finally released part of our CG trailer for Dragonage! We finished it back in January '08, so it's great to finally see it posted for all to see. :D

Dragonage - "The Grey Wardens"
http://dragonage.bioware.com/gallery.html#videos

Since the video is heavily compressed, I've included a few high-res stills from our master:

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

I was the Lead TD on this one, so I did lighting, rendering, shaders, FX, crowd setup, compositing and pipeline. As part of my role, I also consumed more beer than any other person at the studio during the course of the project...
If anyone has questions for me about the project, please feel free to ask and I'll answer them tomorrow. (I'm off to sleep now)

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
poo poo, nice work!

In other news, I accepted an internship at SESI!!! Off to Toronto I go... I'm flying in for a week on Thursday to have a look around.

edit: yay for hangovers. I've now said that twice in this thread hahaha.

Heintje fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 14, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks guys. I was trying to decide how much I should go with the original exaggerated proportions of the drawing I was given, or make it more realistic. Obviously the pose will be fixed once the model is done. I have no idea what is going on with her feet.

Kirby: The Jeremy Vickery one was one of the best ones I saw live. It was so early though and I only caught half of it. Appreciate the tip about the cache.

bigredbutton: That is some amazing work! Reminds me of the kind of quality I recently saw in the warhammer online trailer (gnomon/blur event).