Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Why the gently caress would my turn signals be buzzing at me?

Here's the problem: My left turn signal is funky. Sometimes it will work fine, but usually it will work for just a second or two until the front one turns off (so the rear one blinks at twice the speed), then they both shut off and I hear a buzzing coming from the steering column.

I haven't been able to tear stuff apart (it's snowing like a bitch right now) and I probably won't have time until Friday. Any ideas? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

TractionControl posted:

As long as you look over the cooling system with a fine tooth comb...it shouldn't be TOO bad. Those are the common failure points. Those are the major things about E30s, and E36s.

They do not have tilt steering wheels.

I would just go ahead and replace the entire cooling system if you don't know when it was done last. If you do pick one up ask in here what all parts you need. If you have all of the parts you need at first it is a couple hour job, tops. If you try to just buy what you know needs to be replaced and wing it you'll end up like me, waiting 5 weeks to complete what should be no more than a 3 hour job. :v:

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Anyone here tried the UUC RSC36 exhaust? I currently have a AA Gen III which was installed by the PO and is nice and quiet for the most part, but I am kind of disgusted with AA as a company and have an opportunity to trade for the UUC. Would the UUC be much louder? I don't want to annoy myself on the highway and wake up my neighbors with a ricey exhaust.

Mr. Toast
Oct 10, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Pissingintowind posted:

Anyone here tried the UUC RSC36 exhaust? I currently have a AA Gen III which was installed by the PO and is nice and quiet for the most part, but I am kind of disgusted with AA as a company and have an opportunity to trade for the UUC. Would the UUC be much louder? I don't want to annoy myself on the highway and wake up my neighbors with a ricey exhaust.

If my UUC System U as anything to go by, if it is loud it will NOT sound ricey. That exhaust had an amazing sound to it.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
The RSC36 will be much, MUCH louder than your AA, but like Mr. Toast said, not ricey, and no drone. In short, it sounds loving amazing, it is personally my favorite E36 exhaust followed by the System U. Your neighbors may not like you for it, though.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I'm finally getting my e39 back today after nearly a month in the body shop. I just thought I would share.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

The RSC36 will be much, MUCH louder than your AA, but like Mr. Toast said, not ricey, and no drone. In short, it sounds loving amazing, it is personally my favorite E36 exhaust followed by the System U. Your neighbors may not like you for it, though.

Bah, not what I wanted to hear. I do like nice sound, but I hate being that guy with the car that wakes up the entire street. Anyone have a RSC36 near NJ that I could take a ride in? I promise I won't touch you :pedo:.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

two_beer_bishes posted:

Why the gently caress would my turn signals be buzzing at me?

Here's the problem: My left turn signal is funky. Sometimes it will work fine, but usually it will work for just a second or two until the front one turns off (so the rear one blinks at twice the speed), then they both shut off and I hear a buzzing coming from the steering column.

I haven't been able to tear stuff apart (it's snowing like a bitch right now) and I probably won't have time until Friday. Any ideas? :(

Sounds like you need a new turn signal relay. Sounds exactly like that.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
You already have one of the best quiet after market exhausts. I can't say that I like AA either, but their E36 exhaust is pretty good.

You may want to see if anyone with a Dinan, Remus or Stromung exhaust would trade, those are some of the quieter ones just off the top of my head.

Mr. Toast
Oct 10, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Stromung - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXrjPYgvrlc
Remus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ltxbjwnOs&feature=related
Dinan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWMaUW7dCr8&feature=related (He has magnaflow cats too, I can't tell between other videos if they are making it louder)

My UUC System U :swoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwGdvi0m-Yk

If I do end up getting that E30 I want to get another one of these and get it on there somehow. I've read of a few E36 exhausts being modified to fit on an e30.

If you drive gently, I don't think the UUC would piss off your neighbors. But, if quiet is your thing, based on youtube I would go with the Stromung. Youtube can be misleading though.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Mr. Toast posted:

If you drive gently, I don't think the UUC would piss off your neighbors.

I don't think it's possible to drive gently with a UUC exhaust. I know I would be too tempted to go WOT everywhere if I had one, which is why I don't have one.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Toast posted:

Stromung - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXrjPYgvrlc
Remus - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ltxbjwnOs&feature=related
Dinan - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWMaUW7dCr8&feature=related (He has magnaflow cats too, I can't tell between other videos if they are making it louder)

My UUC System U :swoon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwGdvi0m-Yk

If I do end up getting that E30 I want to get another one of these and get it on there somehow. I've read of a few E36 exhausts being modified to fit on an e30.

If you drive gently, I don't think the UUC would piss off your neighbors. But, if quiet is your thing, based on youtube I would go with the Stromung. Youtube can be misleading though.

Personally I think I like the Stromung the best, though the UUC is a close second. Makes me kind of wish my exhaust was rotting so I could justify spending money on a new exhaust :D

Mr. Toast
Oct 10, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

I don't think it's possible to drive gently with a UUC exhaust. I know I would be too tempted to go WOT everywhere if I had one, which is why I don't have one.

This much is true. The burbling on deceleration is also quite nice. I hope electric cars don't come too soon - the sound is half the experience.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

ynotony posted:

Sounds like you need a new turn signal relay. Sounds exactly like that.

I figured as much, I've just been too goddamn busy at work to be able to look at the schematics to see if there is in fact a relay physically in the steering column. I'll make time tomorrow to track it down. Thanks for confirming that.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

How tricky is it to repair the rear cup holders in an e39? The shop that did an awesome job on my body work managed to break one of them, but I'd rather just have them ship me the part. As opposed to taking the car out there and dealing with the logistics of that move.

Edit: BONUS QUESTION! I've got a DICE ipod interface in the vehicle, but it don't sound so good and has been surpassed by the DICE Silverline. Anyhow, I was going to pick one up for christmas, but I wanted to see if anyone had better iPod integration suggestions for an e39. Now, I know a modern head unit will be better, but I like the funk schwea of the stock look. Also, I like the nice integration. So, what is the best iPod integration that keeps the stock stereo/controls.

wwb fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 10, 2008

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

So....Someone should talk to me about putting an LS1 into my E36 M3...I see the kits are insanely expensive and my custom fab guy is really good and really cheap, so instead of $3k for a set of headers, it'd probably be like $1100...and so on. So what else should I need to know about the swap as far as electrical stuff goes?

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

JaySB posted:

So....Someone should talk to me about putting an LS1 into my E36 M3...I see the kits are insanely expensive and my custom fab guy is really good and really cheap, so instead of $3k for a set of headers, it'd probably be like $1100...and so on. So what else should I need to know about the swap as far as electrical stuff goes?

Who cares! You're dropping an LS1 into an E36! THAT is what matters.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Doctor Bud posted:

Who cares! You're dropping an LS1 into an E36! THAT is what matters.

I see nothing wrong with this.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wwb posted:

Edit: BONUS QUESTION! I've got a DICE ipod interface in the vehicle, but it don't sound so good and has been surpassed by the DICE Silverline. Anyhow, I was going to pick one up for christmas, but I wanted to see if anyone had better iPod integration suggestions for an e39. Now, I know a modern head unit will be better, but I like the funk schwea of the stock look. Also, I like the nice integration. So, what is the best iPod integration that keeps the stock stereo/controls.

As far as I'm aware the DICE is the only all-in-one option for models that didn't have it offered from the factory. There's also the Intravee, but you then have to buy an AI-Net iPod adapter on top of the Intravee unit.

I have a HD DICE and don't have any complaints aside from the connectors at the rear of the car come loose over time. It first shows as a slight clicking when the unit sends a display update to the head unit, then slowly as the connection gets looser I start getting ignition whine. My CB antenna cable also runs right alongside the DICE cable, so if it gets too loose I get a nasty screaming noise when I transmit. Fortunately it's a simple job of popping the trunk, pulling back the carpet, unplug and replug. 45 seconds tops.

HD Radio and the Aux input are nice to have too, though I rarely use HD since the range is lovely on it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 11, 2008

arkiteKt
Jan 2, 2006

I am an obese homosexual who uses a scooter!
Can anyone tell me about the general experience of owning an '00 M5? This old guy who lives near me is getting rid of his (just bought a brand new Benz) and here's the specs:
- all maintenance records
- some sort of "platinum" extended bumper->bumper warranty to 90k (car has 66k)
- clutch was just replaced 6k ago
- Gorgeous looking - Avis Blue ext. / Black int. - tint + those carbon wheels

I live near him so it's definitely always been garaged... he wants 20k. Anything to watch out for on these M5s? I checked out M5Board and it seems like if something goes wrong it's probably a minimum of 1k+ to fix it. Other common problems include the carbon buildip and VANOS issues. Anything else specific to check?

Would the general suggestion be "go with the car if you can afford the maintenance"?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Regardless of whether or not you can afford it, do you think it's worth paying the maintenance to own an M5? Of course everyone here is going to say get it.

arkiteKt
Jan 2, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Regardless of whether or not you can afford it, do you think it's worth paying the maintenance to own an M5? Of course everyone here is going to say get it.

I've never owned a BMW so I'm not sure what "the maintenance" really costs. I drive ~6k miles a year, and after talking to this guy he paid out the rear end for the best extended warranty to 90k. Is there any extra-expensive maintenance that isn't covered by warranty?

From what I've read it's usually just the oil changes.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

arkiteKt posted:

I've never owned a BMW so I'm not sure what "the maintenance" really costs. I drive ~6k miles a year, and after talking to this guy he paid out the rear end for the best extended warranty to 90k. Is there any extra-expensive maintenance that isn't covered by warranty?

If I remember correctly, everything about an M5 is expensive - tires, brakes, clutch, etc... and I doubt a warranty would cover any of that.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/62434-e39-m5-frequently-asked-questions-faq.html

That should be an excellent link, the 'buyers guide' posted especially.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

wwb posted:

How tricky is it to repair the rear cup holders in an e39? The shop that did an awesome job on my body work managed to break one of them, but I'd rather just have them ship me the part. As opposed to taking the car out there and dealing with the logistics of that move.

i found they come out easy ... i also found, after the 3rd or 4th time of having a problem with them, that they are not worth it
i just have a void where they once were

jambo
Jun 21, 2002
Hello boys and girls, what a sexy thread. Here's my lover, I'm about to skip work for 4 or 5 months and road trip around america with it. Looking forward to sore asses and numb thighs

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

arkiteKt posted:

Most BMWs are quite easy/inexpensive to own, but when it comes to an M5 (and this applies to M3s as well but not as extreme) if you can't afford to put $2,000 a year into it I probably wouldn't recommend it. Not that things will be breaking, but if you can't buy this car very comfortably I wouldn't suggest it. A 540 would be much cheaper to maintain. M parts are MUCH more than regular BMW parts.

jambo posted:

I loving love the shape and colour of these cars. Unf unf. Beautiful mate. The shine in the first shot is just incredible.

Xenoid fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 12, 2008

arkiteKt
Jan 2, 2006

Xenoid posted:

Most BMWs are quite easy/inexpensive to own, but when it comes to an M5 (and this applies to M3s as well but not as extreme) if you can't afford to put $2,000 a year into it I probably wouldn't recommend it. Not that things will be breaking, but if you can't buy this car very comfortably I wouldn't suggest it. A 540 would be much cheaper to maintain. M parts are MUCH more than regular BMW parts.

Thanks for the legit advice, I decided against the M5 only because of all the ridiculous horror stories on M5Board about the engine and it's many problems (rod bearings, VANOS, etc...). I'm much more inclined to pick up a car that may have issues so long as the engine is solid. The M5 does not seem to be the case here.

I could certainly afford it and the maintenance, but with the type of driving I do (short trips daily), it'd be the hardest wear-and-tear on the engine and its components.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Do keep in mind places like that host the very vocal minority. Generally M5s (and BMWs in general really) are very well built and can last forever, the problem with the M-cars being that it really does cost a lot to keep it running.

An M5 would make an awesome daily driver. The question is can you keep up with the needed maintenance costs. As someone posted in here earlier, the joke is the M5 has parts that are 5x the usual cost, and the M3 has 3x the cost. It's obviously hyperbole, but it does underline that the M cars require some extra TLC.

That said, go find a good E39 528i with the sport package, or a 540i if you can afford to run V8 fuel prices :)

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

jambo posted:

Hello boys and girls, what a sexy thread. Here's my lover, I'm about to skip work for 4 or 5 months and road trip around america with it. Looking forward to sore asses and numb thighs

These photos are loving beautiful, I never noticed the detail in the M hood before.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

jambo posted:

This shot should be in a calendar or something! At first I thought it was the CS concept brought back to life. :wth:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Bought the UUC rotors/ss brake lines. Brake lines are fine, but they sent me 5 lug rotors instead of 4 lug for the E30. Oopsy.

Also, just made a deal to pick up an '84 325e with bad ICV and shifter bushings for $1000.

jambo
Jun 21, 2002
Thanks guys, love the bimmers but being from Australia we are used to paying $150k+ for an optioned up Z4M. So you can imagine the look on my face when I moved to the US and saw what you bastards pay, not as much of a life sacrificing hobby to buy one over here!

G_Gnome
Sep 24, 2004
The G Gnome Project
A 1977 630 CSI for 2500 CAD obo?

How much of a scam/pile of junk would this be:

Click here for the full 1265x931 image.

I really like the 630, don't know much about them other than that. If this turns out not to be too much of a scam what should I be looking for when I check it out?

EDIT: I'm thinking it's a complete scam, because they didn't make a CSi utill 78 right? That, and the photo is straight from wikipedia...

G_Gnome fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 13, 2008

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

G_Gnome posted:

A 1977 630 CSI for 2500 CAD obo?

How much of a scam/pile of junk would this be:

Click here for the full 1265x931 image.

I really like the 630, don't know much about them other than that. If this turns out not to be too much of a scam what should I be looking for when I check it out?

EDIT: I'm thinking it's a complete scam, because they didn't make a CSi utill 78 right? That, and the photo is straight from wikipedia...

If it's a BMW on kijiji and it sounds too good to be true, it is.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

ynotony posted:

New z4 anybody?
It looks awesome.

http://tinyurl.com/6yvopo

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hedge posted:

It looks awesome.

oh goodness, I think I agree. Even the rear end looks fine.

And those are some neat HVAC controls... wow.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
More picture?

And I am assuming this is the designer, Juliane Blasi. And she is hot. That makes the car hotter.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

hedge posted:

It looks awesome.

I agree, but mostly because it doesn't look radically different from the current Z4. They just gave it the new corporate front and rear and kept everything in between the same. Not a bad thing at all.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Since it's only going to be available in hardtop convertible version, and the big benefit of the Z4 coupe was the chassis rigidity, how does hardtop convertible (with top up) compare to a coupe and a softtop? Does it give any help, or is it no better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

protmind
Dec 25, 2007
How much is this sucker going to weigh?