Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ultra-inquisitor posted:

Ok, that's a bit more drastic than I was expecting, and pretty conclusive. I was actually only considering using one for a full-screen overlay (ie using one 1024x768 texture) because using a 1024x1024 is causing slight but noticeable scaling artifacts. I don't think this is going to impact performance - I'm more worried that drivers (especially ATI's) will be dodgy and give me the old white texture routine.
As far as I know, rectangle textures (see: ARB_texture_rectangle) give good speed on all hardware, you just have to deal with the fact that the coordinates aren't normalized and you can't mipmap them.

edit: Yes, you can use a subset of a larger texture, but get a full-screen overlay on a 1680x1050 screen and tell me if you can find a better use for the 7MB of VRAM you're wasting. :)

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 15, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Just make a 1024x1024 texture, and draw just set the UV coodinates on your 1024x768 quad to keep from stretching. You don't have to utilize the whole thing texture.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

OneEightHundred posted:

edit: Yes, you can use a subset of a larger texture, but get a full-screen overlay on a 1680x1050 screen and tell me if you can find a better use for the 7MB of VRAM you're wasting. :)

Savagely optimize it and put other (small) textures in the space that would be offscreen for the overlay. :colbert:

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
As far as I remember, for clamped texturing the speed is almost the same since you avoid a mod for every texture lookup.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Savagely optimize it and put other (small) textures in the space that would be offscreen for the overlay. :colbert:

or split your overlay into multiple pieces, compact the texture to as small as it can go, and draw multiple quads per pass

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

BernieLomax posted:

As far as I remember, for clamped texturing the speed is almost the same since you avoid a mod for every texture lookup.
Things like that are usually cheap and merged in with other operations so they're essentially free. The entire point of power-of-two textures is that any multiply or divide math just comes down to bit shifting and modulo just involves zeroing high bits.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

As far as I know, rectangle textures (see: ARB_texture_rectangle) give good speed on all hardware, you just have to deal with the fact that the coordinates aren't normalized and you can't mipmap them.
I've gone for this, thanks. I'm only using a small number of textures (less than 5), so I doubt performance will be a problem, but I've created a fallback just in case.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Does Intel release any sort of OpenGL SDK/headers? Ive scourged the internet for them, but no luck, and I need some 1.4 functionality that the "standard" Windows headers (stuck at version 1.1 i think) do not offer.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Doesn't Mesa 3D compile on Windows?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Avenging Dentist posted:

Doesn't Mesa 3D compile on Windows?

Wow. Thanks for linking this...

I've been coding in OpenGL for half a year now, and this is the first time I hear of Mesa 3D. Compiling it now!

edit: I compiled it (had to fiddle around with the GLUT header a bit though) and ran it. It "works", but the performance is equally bad to the headers that come bundled with windows...(when i run any of my code, it hits the CPU, HARD). Should i just shore this up to the general crappyness of the Intel driver?

bonus question:

Im trying to do some shadowmapping, but I want to avoid using FBOs. Is there way to read the current depth buffer into a texture using something like glCopyTexSubImage2D? <- fixed this. Turns out if the target texture is a depth component one, then glCopyTexSubImage2D will read straight from the depth buffer.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 17, 2008

zzz
May 10, 2008
Try an extension library like glew, it makes accessing all of OpenGL's functionality painlessly transparent

Not sure if it differentiates between hardware support and emulation, but it's worth a try

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

You don't want to compile Mesa 3D, you do want to use it to get OpenGL-compatible headers. It comes with gl.h, get glext.h and wglext.h from here, and either link against opengl32.lib, or load opengl32.dll and get the entry points manually.

As for lovely performance, the 915G chipset (a.k.a. GMA950, the most common Intel IGP right now) performs worse than a GeForce 2, so don't be surprised. They're so alarmingly bad that you really only have two sane design decisions: Make your game look like it was made in 1997, or don't support Intel IGPs.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 17, 2008

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

As for lovely performance, the 915G chipset (a.k.a. GMA950, the most common Intel IGP right now) performs worse than a GeForce 2, so don't be surprised. They're so alarmingly bad that you really only have two sane design decisions: Make your game look like it was made in 1997, or don't support Intel IGPs.

I'm just writting some demo code for a workshop I'm teaching, and most of the PCs at the lab have crappy Intel IGPs on them.

The thing is that performance is WAY too crappy. Let me put it this way:

I render at 512 * 512 resolution, a scene comprising of 2 spheres and a quad, 3 times (i'm doing shadowmapping), and this thing draws at LESS than 1 frame per second and hammers the CPU like there is no tomorrow.

Regalia
Jun 11, 2007
Apologies if this has been asked before but does anyone know of a good resource that has properties of common materials? E.G. Diffuse, Specular, etc of metals and plastics and what not.

Thanks.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

shodanjr_gr posted:

bonus question:

Im trying to do some shadowmapping, but I want to avoid using FBOs. Is there way to read the current depth buffer into a texture using something like glCopyTexSubImage2D? <- fixed this. Turns out if the target texture is a depth component one, then glCopyTexSubImage2D will read straight from the depth buffer.

try a pbuffer.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Normally you want to use framebuffer objects and multiple render targets for that (using the extensions that conveniently have the same names!), pbuffers involve expensive context switches and kind of suck.

StickGuy
Dec 9, 2000

We are on an expedicion. Find the moon is our mission.

shodanjr_gr posted:

I render at 512 * 512 resolution, a scene comprising of 2 spheres and a quad, 3 times (i'm doing shadowmapping), and this thing draws at LESS than 1 frame per second and hammers the CPU like there is no tomorrow.
I still suspect you're using some call that is forcing the software path. Have you tried commenting out as much as possible to find out what exactly is causing the performance problems? Assuming you have the correct drivers installed, hardware support should "just work" if you're using basic OpenGL stuff and linking with opengl32.lib.

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS

OneEightHundred posted:

Normally you want to use framebuffer objects and multiple render targets for that (using the extensions that conveniently have the same names!), pbuffers involve expensive context switches and kind of suck.

The OP specifically said he didn't want to use FBOs.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

shodanjr_gr posted:

Just for kicks, try dropping the spheres and stick to cubes for now. See what happens.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

heeen posted:

The OP specifically said he didn't want to use FBOs.
Oops.

What's wrong with FBOs? (i.e. why would you ever want to use pbuffers over them?)

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Just for kicks, try dropping the spheres and stick to cubes for now. See what happens.

Tried that, same thing (maybe sliiiiiiiiiiiiightly faster).

I also tried uncommenting all calls that are not related to matrix stuff, or to geometry production, but still the peformance is equally crappy...I have also reinstalled the GMA drivers by intel...

quote:

Oops.

What's wrong with FBOs? (i.e. why would you ever want to use pbuffers over them?)

While I understand (and love) FBOs, I just want to show how shadowmapping works in principle and dont want to overcomplicate the demo. Plus I cant be sure if all the lab hardware supports them...

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

just keep cutting stuff until the framerate goes over 1fps

BernieLomax
May 29, 2002
This might sound silly, but I got this to work by setting the desktop to 16 bit on my really crap computer. Wild guess?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

BernieLomax posted:

Wild guess?
The graphics driver only support HW rendering in 16-bit modes.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

shodanjr_gr posted:

Tried that, same thing (maybe sliiiiiiiiiiiiightly faster).

I also tried uncommenting all calls that are not related to matrix stuff, or to geometry production, but still the peformance is equally crappy...I have also reinstalled the GMA drivers by intel...

While I understand (and love) FBOs, I just want to show how shadowmapping works in principle and dont want to overcomplicate the demo. Plus I cant be sure if all the lab hardware supports them...

How are you implementing the shadow mapping? What's your state look like? Are you copying the depth texture to the CPU memory and back to the GPU? Are you letting OpenGL generate the texture coordinates for you with regards to the shadow mapping? Pbuffers suck horribly and the intel chips are crap with FBOs (and in general). What happens if you just draw your scene twice, does performance still suck? Have you tried a profiler?

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

This is a 2D rather than a 3D question, but - if I'm using OpenGL, what's the recommended way(s) of doing an integer scaling of the output to the screen (i.e. either normal size, or exactly double in both dimensions, or exactly triple, etc.), with no filtering (nearest neighbour scaling)? I do want this to be over the entire rendered output, not just individual components (so, for example, if something is rendered rotated at 45 degrees, its pixels still appear aligned to the edges of the screen at 4x scale).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dimebag dinkman posted:

This is a 2D rather than a 3D question, but - if I'm using OpenGL, what's the recommended way(s) of doing an integer scaling of the output to the screen (i.e. either normal size, or exactly double in both dimensions, or exactly triple, etc.), with no filtering (nearest neighbour scaling)? I do want this to be over the entire rendered output, not just individual components (so, for example, if something is rendered rotated at 45 degrees, its pixels still appear aligned to the edges of the screen at 4x scale).

Render the scene to an FBO appropriately smaller than the screen, render the result on a fullscreen quad with the filter set to GL_NEAREST, go hog wild.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

sex offendin Link posted:

go hog wild.
I will!

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

sex offendin Link posted:

Render the scene to an FBO appropriately smaller than the screen, render the result on a fullscreen quad with the filter set to GL_NEAREST, go hog wild.

Why would you do that instead of just changing the viewport appropriately?

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

not a dinosaur posted:

Why would you do that instead of just changing the viewport appropriately?
I wanted the output to be simplistically scaled with no increase in resolution, as you would get if you just change the viewport.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

dimebag dinkman posted:

I wanted the output to be simplistically scaled with no increase in resolution, as you would get if you just change the viewport.

So, change the viewport and the projection for the camera. :confused:

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

dimebag dinkman posted:

Right. This is what I usually do for integral scaling.

code:
void Application::resize(int screen_width, int screen_height)
{
    int scaling_factor =
        std::min(screen_width / target_width, screen_height / target_height);
    int render_width = target_width * scaling_factor;
    int render_height = target_height * scaling_factor;
    int render_x = (screen_width - render_width) / 2;
    int render_y = (screen_height - render_height) / 2;

glViewport(render_x, render_y, render_width, render_height);
    glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
    glLoadIdentity();

glOrtho(0.0f, target_width, 0.0f, target_height, -1.0f, 1.0f);
    glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
    glLoadIdentity();
}
target_width and target_height set to whatever low resolution you intend to scale up.

edit: should note this will center the viewing area in the middle of the window

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

I'll try to clarify what I mean:

I want the one on the left. (Yes, really).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

not a dinosaur posted:

Right. This is what I usually do for integral scaling.

code:
void Application::resize(int screen_width, int screen_height)
{
    int scaling_factor =
        std::min(screen_width / target_width, screen_height / target_height);
    int render_width = target_width * scaling_factor;
    int render_height = target_height * scaling_factor;
    int render_x = (screen_width - render_width) / 2;
    int render_y = (screen_height - render_height) / 2;

glViewport(render_x, render_y, render_width, render_height);
    glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
    glLoadIdentity();

glOrtho(0.0f, target_width, 0.0f, target_height, -1.0f, 1.0f);
    glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
    glLoadIdentity();
}
target_width and target_height set to whatever low resolution you intend to scale up.

edit: should note this will center the viewing area in the middle of the window

Well, yeah, he could do that, but he still has to scale the result up to fill the entire normal viewport, which is included in what I posted.

PnP Bios
Oct 24, 2005
optional; no images are allowed, only text

dimebag dinkman posted:

I'll try to clarify what I mean:

I want the one on the left. (Yes, really).

Sample the buffer and when you call glTexParameter, use gl_Nearest?

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

PnP Bios posted:

Sample the buffer and when you call glTexParameter, use gl_Nearest?
Could you explain what you mean by "sample the buffer" a bit more? Do you just mean rendering to a framebuffer object, as sex offendin Link suggested?

Commander Keen
Oct 6, 2003

The doomed voyage of the Obsessivo-Compulsivo will haunt me forever

dimebag dinkman posted:

Could you explain what you mean by "sample the buffer" a bit more? Do you just mean rendering to a framebuffer object, as sex offendin Link suggested?

If you're rendering to an FBO, then there's no sampling to be done (assuming you're using a texture as the appropriate color attachment), otherwise, use glReadPixels

heeen
May 14, 2005

CAT NEVER STOPS
I'm having a problem with non power of two textures under OpenGL, this is what I'm getting:

Somehow all values are off by one channel. I'm using GL_RGB for the data and internal alignment.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

heeen posted:

I'm having a problem with non power of two textures under OpenGL, this is what I'm getting:
If the image width isn't divisible by 4, you need to use glPixelStorei and set the unpack alignment to 1. It defaults to 4 (meaning image rows are expected to be aligned to 4-byte boundaries).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecotourist
Nov 1, 2008
Say I have a mesh of vertices that I want to draw as triangle strips or
triangle fans. The vertices are packed into (an) array(s), and vertices
are shared by multiple primitives, of course.
1. Does glVertexPointer(),glNormalPointer(), etc. followed by glDrawElements()
have close to optimal performance nowadays, or is there a different interface
that's a much better choice? At present, each primitive set is 8 vertices, a
hexagon drawn as a trifan.
2. Does it matter whether
a: the vertices, normals, and texture coordinates are packed into an array of structs
b: there are separate vertex array, normal array, TC array
3. How much does spatial locality matter to performance on modern hardware?
glDrawElements() takes an array of indices, is it faster if the used vertices are
close together in memory than if the indices (uint) jump all over the place?

I'm basically looking for current common knowledge. I don't want to put a lot
of work into using an interface that's about to be obsoleted and/or stupidly
inefficient.