Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

sharkytm posted:

oilless are loud as gently caress. My Craftsman is oilless, and its awful to work around.

This is true from experience. My craftsman is put-outside-and-run-a-long-hose-in-the-garage loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I've considered building a sound dampening box around mine.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

ease posted:

I did this for our oilless craftsman at work, but got pretty poor results. Sound levels went down, but without lead/tar sound barriers you aren't going to stop the low frequency vibration very well.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
For all of you wanting a good electric impact, take a look at Rigid's R6300 HD Impact Wrench.
Max Torque: 450 ft.lb.

It's hard to find poo poo it won't break loose on your basic 120v power.
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R6300-Impact-Wrench/EN/index.htm

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Do electric impact wrenches still user the hammer type mechanism that an air one uses? Does it still make that machine gun like sound?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

ease posted:

Do electric impact wrenches still user the hammer type mechanism that an air one uses? Does it still make that machine gun like sound?

The good quality ones do. There are a few cheap ones that have to spin up for each impact and are more like 'whiiiiir....crack.' Chances are that you won't encounter one of these unless you go for the absolute cheapest - think $30.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ease posted:

I'm building one around mine. I'll use lead flashing and 3 densities of foam to try and absorb the noise.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

sharkytm posted:

I'm building one around mine. I'll use lead flashing and 3 densities of foam to try and absorb the noise.

What do you plan to do about heat dissipation?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Should just put the thing in a giant refrigerator. Made out of lead.

ease fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 10, 2008

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

laymil posted:

What do you plan to do about heat dissipation?

It won't run that much first of all, and I'll install a vent and a fan if its an issue.

Alternately, I could save up and buy a 220v industrial compressor and mount it wherever.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

sharkytm posted:

It won't run that much first of all, and I'll install a vent and a fan if its an issue.

Alternately, I could save up and buy a 220v industrial compressor and mount it wherever.

Water-cool that bitch.

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma

Kynetx posted:

Water-cool that bitch.

Real nerds use Flourinert

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Kynetx posted:

Water-cool that bitch.

Been there, done that...
With my PC, of course.

My HF toolbox is in the garage, and looks awesome. I've got to transfer my tools over, then I'll take pictures. Its seriously nice, and very well-built.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Just picked out my Christmas present from my parents: 260 piece Craftsman mechanic's tool set on sale for $160.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I just got back from Linen's 'n' Things. They are now selling the store hardware, AKA shelves and lights. I bought 2 4' 4xT8 bulb fluorescent fixtures for $20 ea, and 5 rails and 12 metal shelves for $72. $117, and I've got enough shelving for most of my garage. If you have one near you, I'd head over tomorrow and get your fill.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
I broke down and bought a car (Volvo 850 wagon) as a backup for my motorcycle, and as the car needed new rotors and a suspension refresh, It seemed like a good time to go get some new tools. A trip to Lowe's and several hundred dollars later, I was making those sweet auto shop sounds with my new Kobalt 30 gallon compressor and impact wrench (the "industrial" one with 525 lb-ft of torque was on sale, so I bought one). The oil-free compressors were cheaper, but this thread convinced me to pop the extra $100 for the belt-driven oil-lubricated cast-iron one instead.

My new impact wrench made the brake job hilariously easy compared to the angry, sweaty, grunt-and-sweat experience I usually have removing old bolts. The job went so well, I was inspired to schedule a tech day in a couple of weeks with four friends, where we will attempt to rebuild the outer CV joints of a VW Passat (really, it's just an excuse to use my new impact on something).

sideshowalan
Aug 4, 2004

The rake, my archenemy!
Anyone have an opinion on spring compressors?
The struts are going to get replaced on my 01 Corolla and my spring compressor choice is down to either:

HF Clamshell style: This is my top choice so far, seems like it would be faster than the '2 sticks' method.

Craftsman Compressor: I'd trust the build quality of this over the HF clamshell but it seems like it would take longer. Also there's the fear of one of the sticks sliding over and pinching my finger off.

The HF $12 "screw it they're good enough" compressors have already been ruled out, they just look too flimsy.

Of course there's also the option to just take all 4 of them out, run them over to a local shop and have them switch the struts out using their big hydraulic compressor. But I'd rather just spend the same money on my own comprssor and be able to do it again anytime in the future

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

sideshowalan posted:

The struts are going to get replaced on my 01 Corolla and my spring compressor choice is down to either:

HF Clamshell style: This is my top choice so far, seems like it would be faster than the '2 sticks' method.

Craftsman Compressor: I'd trust the build quality of this over the HF clamshell but it seems like it would take longer. Also there's the fear of one of the sticks sliding over and pinching my finger off.

The HF $12 "screw it they're good enough" compressors have already been ruled out, they just look too flimsy.

Of course there's also the option to just take all 4 of them out, run them over to a local shop and have them switch the struts out using their big hydraulic compressor. But I'd rather just spend the same money on my own comprssor and be able to do it again anytime in the future

I have a set of the Craftsman compressors and they are a pain in the rear end because of how slow they are, but they are effective. For Macpherson struts, the clamshell is a million times easier (plus it ensures that you have equal pressure on both sides).

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
What should I look for in a pneumatic impact wrench? The prices range from $30-300+ and I just want to make sure I'm not getting a piece of poo poo...

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sideshowalan posted:

I've got the Craftsman ones, they failed during the 3rd use. Replaced free, worked fine 5 times subsequently (this is driving them w/ impact gun which you're "not supposed to do").

I just got the H-F ones, but haven't had the opportunity to use them.

two_beer_bishes posted:

What should I look for in a pneumatic impact wrench? The prices range from $30-300+ and I just want to make sure I'm not getting a piece of poo poo...

Used Snap-On or an Ingersoll-Rand 450 ft-lb gun at Lowes.

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000

two_beer_bishes posted:

Husky composite 600ft/lb from home depot. I have a couple of them along with a new 1200ft/lb snap on. The husky is light and very durable. You can usually get it for around $150 in store.

heyou
Dec 30, 2004
Mr. Green....Gesundheit.

EnergizerFellow posted:

Speaking of impact stuff, anybody try Sunex stuff? They are a new brand to me, but the quality looks quite good for a reasonable price. Looks to be Taiwanese in origin and may be the same stuff as the high-end Harbor Freight (Pittsburgh Professional, Earthquake), but with a much larger catalog.

I had a co-worker reccomend Sunex to me after I mentioned the extreme pricing on a Snap-On impact set I was about to buy when I first started out. So I bought these two sets:

29pc. 3/8" Metric Master Impact Set http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SUN-3329.html
39pc. 1/2" Metric Master Impact Set http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/SUN-2669.html

They rule. I've been beating the hell out of them at work for a year and have yet to do anything but wear the paint off a little. They're very solid sockets, I even used my 30mm 1/2" to press out a wheel bearing on our 25 ton press. I couldn't recommend Sunex sockets any more highly. Great price, great quality. I actually prefer my Sunex universal sockets to Snap-Ons!

I'm not sure about how nice the rest of their product line is, but I'm not afraid of buying if it's half as good as the impact sockets.

I get almost all my tools from http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/, another tech at work gave me their catalog one day. EXTREMELY fast shipping and great customer service. Prices are rock bottom and they sell very high quality tools. I almost never can find stuff cheaper than here. You get free shipping on orders over $100 as well, and if you're buying big stuff, free truck freight shipping over $800.

I was running out of space in my little apprentice box, so I bought one of these: http://www.devildogtools.com/in56toboxcor.html Solidly built, tons of space and a good price. I was just happy not to be thousands in debt to the tool guys, but I'm pretty pleased with it. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

this is pretty "duhhh" poo poo but

that walmart $20 rachet set will only take you so far.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Toucan Sam posted:

Husky composite 600ft/lb from home depot. I have a couple of them along with a new 1200ft/lb snap on. The husky is light and very durable. You can usually get it for around $150 in store.

I ended up with a 650ft/lb Husky Composite for $130. I'm happy with that!

Toucan Sam
Sep 2, 2000
I knew it was somewhere around 600ft/lb. They're great quality for the money. Just as good a balance as my snap on and they can take a beating for sure.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What's the consensus on Armstrong tools? A guy I know who owns a machine shop swears by them, so I figure they're more than fine for a home mechanic?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Jorsh posted:

this is pretty "duhhh" poo poo but

that walmart $20 rachet set will only take you so far.
Aha, there's your problem right there! You should have gone for the $5 taiwanese ratchet set instead. I've beat on mine with a sledge hammer before (they're disposable, right?) without so much as a crack.

I've got plenty of spares, too. I mean, at $5 a set, I've got a set in every car, a set in the workshop, and one in my desk at work.

grover fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 22, 2008

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

two_beer_bishes posted:

I ended up with a 650ft/lb Husky Composite for $130. I'm happy with that!

I think I have the same one. It's awesome.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

ease posted:

Have you ever done rear disc brakes? On most foreign cars (not sure about US) you need to push in and rotate at the same time because of the screw type e-brake mechanism.

On the compressor thing, yeah I'm going to do it. Mine only gets 6 and 9 SCFM. I have 240 outlet in my garage I wired up for testing a hot tub that I no longer use

I had my rear pads and rotors replaced this past summer and I think they tried to use the rotating part to screw me. They told me both calipers in the rear were seized and would need to be replaced. They started making calls but the only place that had them was a Mazda dealer at around $350 a pop I think. I was pacing around all pissed, making phone calls, canceling plans, etc.

Then I see the guy who was working on the car call someone else over who said "I'm right about something for once" loud enough for me to hear while pacing in the parking lot. I walked over to see if they had any luck and the guy said "yeah, turns out you need to rotate them to push the pistons back in"

So, I have a feeling that if the first place they called had new calipers in stock at the low low price of $200 a piece they would have just ordered them on the spot and stuck me with the bill, but since they couldn't find them for a reasonable price they pretended they didn't know how to do the brakes on a Mazda. I have a hard time believing a garage wouldn't know something like that.

I wish there was a foolproof method of finding a garage that doesn't suck. I wish I had my own garage to do my own work in actually.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

sideshowalan posted:

I bought the expensive NAPA spring compressors and to my dismay they look identical to the Harbor Freight ones.

Replacing struts was one of the scarier things I've done on a car, next time I'll price out what a local shop will charge if I bring in the strut assemblies off the car.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

sideshowalan posted:

To ensure that you will actually be able to use these tools more than once, use grease (I like anti-seize compound) on the threads and run the greased portion into the pinion before working. I also recommend against using the impact wrech on them. Doing so will help ensure these tools can be reused next time you need them.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

hippynerd posted:

Real nerds use Flourinert

So. Goddamn. Sexy.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

two_beer_bishes posted:

what drive? The Ingersol Rand Titanium n Torque is a fine mother fucker
edit: whoops didn't see your purchase. Leaving the the name up for those that want to spend more.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 22, 2008

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There's this stuff someone mentioned called wire dry spray, and I think I found the brand Gunk associated with it? I'm looking for something I can spray into/onto electric connections to drive moisture off of them. Is wire dry what I want? And what's the right name for it?

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

kimbo305 posted:

There's this stuff someone mentioned called wire dry spray, and I think I found the brand Gunk associated with it? I'm looking for something I can spray into/onto electric connections to drive moisture off of them. Is wire dry what I want? And what's the right name for it?

WD40. This is what WD40 (water displacement) is actually supposed to do.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

WD40. This is what WD40 (water displacement) is actually supposed to do.
Do NOT do this! WD40 will coat everything, and you can't get rid of it. Also, it's an insulator. Special-made electronics cleaner does an even better job, and evaporates completely after you've used it. I have a can of electronics cleaner I bought at AutoZone years ago, and I use it constantly for cleaning electronic connectors.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
contact cleaner?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Nerobro posted:

contact cleaner?
Electrical contact cleaner? Yes. Contact lens cleaner? No.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
I've got in my hand a 1lb 3oz (spray-paint can-sized) bottle of CEC "Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner" with graphics of an alternator and starter motor on the front. I believe it's mostly tetracloroethylene. It works great, but dissolves plastic- not to the point where it melts through or destroys parts, but it'll ruin a laptop screen (I'm pissed at myself for this one, but at least the keyboard works, heh), and will leave a visible mark on plastic components when it dries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I am going to post up a big review of a bunch of HF tools after xmas but I am sorta curious, would anyone be interested if I started a tool deal watching thread in coupons? I tend to watch sales pretty closely and would add some instructions for how patient people can find great deals on stuff.