Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
So much on the list of cosmetic things to fix/replace. :(

e: '88 Ford T-bird Turbocoupe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Prescription Combs fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 31, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Prescription Combs posted:

How's the Lima doin' under the scoops? :clint:

Anything crazy? Or just a stock IHI and heatsoaker?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Sockington posted:

How's the Lima doin' under the scoops? :clint:

Anything crazy? Or just a stock IHI and heatsoaker?

Freshly rebuilt(6k~ ago) with a ported/polished head and big cam. Still IHI and heatsoaker, though. :( Injectors, Holset, frontmount, and megasquirt eventually. :fap:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Freshly rebuilt(6k~ ago) with a ported/polished head and big cam. Still IHI and heatsoaker, though. :( Injectors, Holset, frontmount, and megasquirt eventually. :fap:

Sent you a PM to make some of those dreams come true sooner than later. :clint:

Love 2.3 Turbo engines

ThwartedEfforts
Aug 20, 2002

Care to explain what the hell it is?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

ThwartedEfforts posted:

1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbocoupe

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

I'm so jealous. What an awesome little car.

It's not in bad condition considering I'm the 10th owner and the previous 9 almost certainly thrashed the poo poo out of it for 100k miles.

It's going to need some work in the next couple of years though. The chassis rails ideally need welding, and there's surface rust appearing in all the usual places.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

sw0cb posted:

Can you tell me more about the B4c option code? What did it entail? And I love your third gens, my next project is gonna be a third gen with a 350 swap.

The B4C is the cop car model. Nothing more than a low key Z28 with Rally Sport styling.

In the 3rd gen they only made B4C's in 1991 and 1992 with less than 400 cars made each of the two years.

In 1992 they added the 1LE option to the B4C. The 1LE option at the time was special front spindles with multi piston calipers from the Corvette and rotors from the massive Caprice B-body/truck line. The 1LE was normally radio and AC delete. The B4C with 1LE was the only way the option could be had with both radio/AC installed. In the 1992, with all of the parts stolen from the 1LE and Z28 cars of those years you got, engine and steering oil coolers, aluminum driveshaft, heavy duty charging from the truck line.

Basically If you own a 1991 or 1992 1LE optioned Z28 you have everything these cars had except radio and AC.

wikipedia page about them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B4C

Official GM 1992 B4C model literature I own put into PDF form
http://www.outlawperformance.com/images/B4Cstuff/B4Cbook/92_b4c.pdf

If you are planning a third gen 350 swap, may I recommend that you buy the cleanest car you can to start with. Preferably a 6 cylinder for cost.

Avoid T-tops and convertibles at all costs because even if you put in subframe connectors t-top/convertible models are total slinkeys.

I think a perfect donor car would be a 6 cylinder 5-speed car 1989 and later.

Option 1:
1) Buy 6 cylinder 5 speed 3rdgen car
2) buy aluminum LS1/LS2/LS6/LS7 motor and ECM from wrecked 4th gen GTO/camaro/firebird/corvette/G8
3) 3rd gen motor mount LS series swap brackets from one of the many vendors
4) street rod LS series wiring harness
5) T56 6-speed, shifter, flywheel, clutch, hydraulics from wrecked LS Camaro/Firebird (try to get it with the engine)
6) T56 3rdgen swap crossmember from one of the many vendors

Option 2:
1) Buy 6 cylinder 5 speed car
2) buy 4.8L-5.3L-6.0L LS series motor (for thousands of $$ less) and ECM from wrecked pickup/suv
5) T56 6-speed, shifter, flywheel, clutch, hydraulics from wrecked LS Camaro/Firebird
6) Get stock 4th gen LS1 camaro/firebird intake and fuel rails
7) T56 3rdgen swap crossmember from one of the many vendors
8) change cam to make 350hp-550hp

This swap is so easy it seems like a no brainer. The trans stuff goes in so easy that LT1 T56 swaps into regular small block 3rdgens seems like it was made for it. If you have local wrecking yards that are reasonable they can be your friends here. In my town they are too proud of these now "dime a dozen" motors so the better deal is on ebay even with truck freight.

Which brings us to

Option 3:
1) buy a V8 1987-1990 IROC or 1991-1992 Z28 with the 5.0L and 5-speed
2) build a badass 350-383-406 in any form from mild to race (with consideration of the ECM limits when you put the cam and compression).
3) buy a Holley Stealth Ram intake and fuel rails (if you live in a non emissions state).
4) get a T56, clutch, flywheel, hydraulics from a 1993-1997 LT1 camaro/firebird
5) Get the T56 swap crossmember
6) Get a prom built by Alvin at PCM's for less or buy the equipments and learn to do it yourself.

Here are the problems:

TPI is unacceptable pretty much without spending some money to bandaid its shortcomings.

Be prepared for rear end breakage. Especially with a stick. There are specific bolt in replacement rears in 12 Bolt, 9 inch, and Dana 60 flavors with an occasional SUPER RARE Dana 44. The better 9 Bolt Aussie rear is not acceptable either.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 31, 2008

Isepic
May 7, 2002

One more Subaru checking in. 2003 WRX, bone stock, aside form a little stereo work. Wingless from the factory.

Noidea
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl
Messing with HDR photography. The subject is my 2003 C32 AMG (which needs lowering badly, do they really need to ship cars to the US with jacked suspension, we are all not fat and the roads are not that bad) Big image here: https://wi.somethingawful.com/d1/d1969f3b070600ffafc528d79aa7daef6c03ad28.jpg

Noidea fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 2, 2009

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

ThwartedEfforts posted:

Thoroughly awesome.

Vader
Jun 13, 2007

get to da choppa

Penguins Like Pies posted:

:swoon: I want! Have you made any mods to it? The jdm front is much better than the usdm.

Pretty much factory 2000 DC2 Type R-X.

Just minor mods really. Ohlins adjustable suspension, HKS exhaust, and a J's racing carbon fibre "whales penis" intake and filter.

MIght be for sale soon :) looking at a DC5-R http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Honda/Integra/auction-194668564.htm

Vader fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 2, 2009

Jarllax
Dec 29, 2003

Something in the universe loves the entity that is me.
Just bought this last September.

2006 Mazdaspeed 6 with 32,000 miles on it currently. Fun as hell to drive.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

The B4C is the cop car model. Nothing more than a low key Z28 with Rally Sport styling.

In the 3rd gen they only made B4C's in 1991 and 1992 with less than 400 cars made each of the two years.

In 1992 they added the 1LE option to the B4C. The 1LE option at the time was special front spindles with multi piston calipers from the Corvette and rotors from the massive Caprice B-body/truck line. The 1LE was normally radio and AC delete. The B4C with 1LE was the only way the option could be had with both radio/AC installed. In the 1992, with all of the parts stolen from the 1LE and Z28 cars of those years you got, engine and steering oil coolers, aluminum driveshaft, heavy duty charging from the truck line.

Basically If you own a 1991 or 1992 1LE optioned Z28 you have everything these cars had except radio and AC.

wikipedia page about them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B4C

Official GM 1992 B4C model literature I own put into PDF form
http://www.outlawperformance.com/images/B4Cstuff/B4Cbook/92_b4c.pdf

If you are planning a third gen 350 swap, may I recommend that you buy the cleanest car you can to start with. Preferably a 6 cylinder for cost.

Avoid T-tops and convertibles at all costs because even if you put in subframe connectors t-top/convertible models are total slinkeys.

I think a perfect donor car would be a 6 cylinder 5-speed car 1989 and later.

Option 1:
1) Buy 6 cylinder 5 speed 3rdgen car
2) buy aluminum LS1/LS2/LS6/LS7 motor and ECM from wrecked 4th gen GTO/camaro/firebird/corvette/G8
5) T56 6-speed, shifter, flywheel, clutch, hydraulics from wrecked LS Camaro/Firebird (try to get it with the engine)
6) T56 3rdgen swap crossmember from one of the many vendors

Option 2:
1) Buy 6 cylinder 5 speed car
2) buy 4.8L-5.3L-6.0L LS series motor (for thousands of $$ less) and ECM from wrecked pickup/suv
5) T56 6-speed, shifter, flywheel, clutch, hydraulics from wrecked LS Camaro/Firebird
6) Get stock 4th gen LS1 camaro/firebird intake and fuel rails
7) T56 3rdgen swap crossmember from one of the many vendors
8) change cam to make 350hp-550hp

This swap is so easy it seems like a no brainer. The trans stuff goes in so easy that LT1 T56 swaps into regular small block 3rdgens seems like it was made for it. If you have local wrecking yards that are reasonable they can be your friends here. In my town they are too proud of these now "dime a dozen" motors so the better deal is on ebay even with truck freight.

Which brings us to

Option 3:
1) buy a V8 1987-1990 IROC or 1991-1992 Z28 with the 5.0L and 5-speed
2) build a badass 350-383-406 in any form from mild to race (with consideration of the ECM limits when you put the cam and compression).
3) buy a Holley Stealth Ram intake and fuel rails (if you live in a non emissions state).
4) get a T56, clutch, flywheel, hydraulics from a 1993-1997 LT1 camaro/firebird
5) Get the T56 swap crossmember
6) Get a prom built by Alvin at PCM's for less or buy the equipments and learn to do it yourself.

Here are the problems:

TPI is unacceptable pretty much without spending some money to bandaid its shortcomings.

Be prepared for rear end breakage. Especially with a stick. There are specific bolt in replacement rears in 12 Bolt, 9 inch, and Dana 60 flavors with an occasional SUPER RARE Dana 44. The better 9 Bolt Aussie rear is not acceptable either.
Wow! Thanks for all the info. Yeah the LS1/LT1 swap looks really attractive compared to dealing with the TPI bullshit.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

sw0cb posted:

Wow! Thanks for all the info. Yeah the LS1/LT1 swap looks really attractive compared to dealing with the TPI bullshit.

I personally avoid the LT1 engine swaps too (except the T56 trans that come behind them work great behind regular small blocks). I would rather have a warmed over 5.3L truck motor than the more powerful Gran Sport LT4 version of the LT1!

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

B4Ctom1 posted:

I personally avoid the LT1 engine swaps too (except the T56 trans that come behind them work great behind regular small blocks). I would rather have a warmed over 5.3L truck motor than the more powerful Gran Sport LT4 version of the LT1!

Really? Why?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

This is my first one, and it was a fantastic buy. I've still got a bit of work to do on her before she's tip top, and she's 3 1/2 hours away in Dallas where the garage and the tools are, but I'll get her ready, and back down with me here sometime hopefully mid this year.

As it stands, she's kick rear end, just going to be, interesting, to work on.

edit: Next time I go up, I'll be taking better pictures too. She has been given the whole treatment since this photo, she's much shinier now.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

aSocial posted:

that's a killer wing you got there, what's it do for you drag coefficient?

I missed this killer line from last page but the wing on my truck isn't supposed to help with aerodynamics. It's there for ricer envy and killing birds, two tasks it excels at. Did I mention it is all steel, or aluminum.....it's loving metal, anyways.

Thank you, Chrysler engineering department.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 3, 2009

ThwartedEfforts
Aug 20, 2002

Korwen posted:

This is my first one, and it was a fantastic buy.

Always wanted one. Here they come in two guises: either cheap and in poor condition or hellishly expensive and immaculate. There seems to be no middle ground. The GTS seems to be the one everyone goes for with late model cars fetching £20K plus (though I doubt many will sell at that level this year).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sw0cb posted:

Really? Why?

I'm guessing it probably has to do with the fact that all of the aftermarket development is going into the GenIII/IV V8s. The GenII is not a bad engine, but it does have some obnoxious faults (Optispark, waterpump) and it doesn't really offer anything over even the 5.3.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

I missed this killer line from last page but the wing on my truck isn't supposed to help with aerodynamics. It's there for ricer envy and killing birds, two tasks it excels at. Did I mention it is all steel, or aluminum.....it's loving metal, anyways.

Thank you, Chrysler engineering department.
Obviously they made it as heavy as possible to try to even out the weight distribution!

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The rear end of my boring 2008 Titan of which I have basically no photos because it's brand loving new and not exciting at all :

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

For some reason I only have distant or background shots of my wife's 2006 Pacifica Limited. This car sucks but at least it has every bullshit option known to man, like suede seats, heated front and rear captains chairs, power adjusted pedals, and a dimming loving drivers side mirror. Still, it sucks and I hate it. Also, thank jesus for gap insurance because it isn't worth poo poo considering the $42,000 msrp 2 years ago. -

About to eat my daughter :

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Hanging out below our vacation condo :

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Sitting in front of our house before we bought it and lost $130,000 in equity in 12 months :

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

And the back of my ugly head while I'm driving it :

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Battle Bott
May 6, 2007

How's that for a first car?
1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V. 56k miles.

Sorry I don't have any good pictures, I used a borrowed camera, and lost the original.

Boneclinkz
Dec 12, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Battle Bott posted:

How's that for a first car?
1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V. 56k miles.

Sorry I don't have any good pictures, I used a borrowed camera, and lost the original.

I am in love with your first car.

Meathole
Jul 25, 2007
Boy's have penises and girls have vaginas

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm guessing it probably has to do with the fact that all of the aftermarket development is going into the GenIII/IV V8s. The GenII is not a bad engine, but it does have some obnoxious faults (Optispark, waterpump) and it doesn't really offer anything over even the 5.3.

Yep...huge aftermarket, better heads, stronger engines, far more power potential for a reasonable amount of money, better reliability(no optispark),etc... This is coming from a guy who has owned a 1995 Z-28 for 5 years, rebuilt the engine, and spent far too much money to achieve the power level of a stock LS-1. A 5.3 with a cam swap should produce about the same power as an LT-1 with full bolt-ons, long tube headers, intake/exhaust, and a decent cam.

Plus the LT1's are based on the old small-block architecture, with reverse cooling and decent computer controls. The LS-series of engines on the other hand are a clean-sheet design and improved in just about every way.

Bonus picture of pretty LT-1:

Meathole fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 4, 2009

staticpat
Jan 1, 2005

Jesus crust, I'm hungry!
Rallycross Car

Reliable Daily Driver

staticpat fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 4, 2009

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Time to get our GM on.

`05 Pontiac GTO (daily driver)

`85 Chevy Monte Carlo (for when I need a trunk)

HEHEHE
Mar 16, 2003
Cisco Dungeon Master
'97 318ti

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Shot of my car as I saw it on my computer screen at the auction yard in Georgia last year. It was rear ended, albeit not that hard, but was deemed a total loss by the insurance company because of minor frame damage.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

After many surprise repairs (bad battery, no heat, cracked radiator, bad p/s lines, only one engine mount intact and plenty other things needing replacement..) on top of pulling the frame/painting the rear - I finally got the car near tip-top shape in a little under a month.

Shot as of this past fall, I lowered it a little to get rid of the terrible wheel gap. I love this car, as it's been a blast to drive as well as a great learning experience on how to work on 4cyl E36's.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Meathole posted:

That is the one real advantage the LT1/LT4 has right there - it's a better looking engine when stock. That intake manifold is just nice to look at, and if you do a little work on the engine bay the valvecovers aren't bad either. When you yank the FRCs off of a LS1 (or get one out of a vehicle that didn't have them), the bare coil packs and the composite intake manifold are, honestly, ugly.

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Current status of my car :smith:

The rest of the album

I was going northbound through an intersection, an ambulance was making a left from westbound to southbound with lights on. A white Chrysler 300 stopped for the ambulance, then a Ford Focus hit into the back of the 300, followed by me hitting the Focus. Due to the Focus's inability to brake, and the fact that my brakes weren't good enough, I was not deemed at fault, thank god. The fact that my hood is so messed up actually helped determine me to not be at fault, because I was standing on the brakes so much the front of the car dipped.

Hopefully getting it back from the bodyshop soon. Figures I just ordered some MB Quart speakers, some Borbet rims, and some Bridgestone Potenzas.

Lt Moose
Aug 8, 2007
moose

Lt Moose fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 4, 2016

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008
One more for the Subaru Army.

2004 WRX with a Cobb AP Stage 2. Just got back from Florida after putting ~3500 miles on it round trip (and just rolled over 60,000 miles too). In the spring im planning on getting some new rubber, replacing all the hoses and seals, and doing the 60k service in the garage.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

EDIT: If your going to use my plates to find out where I live and come steal poo poo from my car, please dont bother as I dont leave anything inside of it. Also, please do a better job than the other rear end in a top hat who messed up my trunk key slot, as I can only open my trunk from the inside now.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Meathole posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

sw0cb posted:

Really? Why?

Yep...huge aftermarket, better heads, stronger engines, far more power potential for a reasonable amount of money, better reliability(no optispark),etc... This is coming from a guy who has owned a 1995 Z-28 for 5 years, rebuilt the engine, and spent far too much money to achieve the power level of a stock LS-1. A 5.3 with a cam swap should produce about the same power as an LT-1 with full bolt-ons, long tube headers, intake/exhaust, and a decent cam.

Plus the LT1's are based on the old small-block architecture, with reverse cooling and decent computer controls. The LS-series of engines on the other hand are a clean-sheet design and improved in just about every way.

Those are all the valid reasons (mostly the better heads and no optispark). Add to that the smaller packaging architecture and reusable gasket system makes them a joy to work on. They don't take up a lot of space except in the oil pan area. Also I do believe even with accessories they are lighter even the iron block versions than similar fully dressed motors like LT1's and L98's.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
1962 Corvair Monza 900 Sedan. Repainted once back in the 80's. Typical Ohio Rust. 84hp Air Cooled flat six engine. Two speed Powerglide automatic transmission. 42,650 original miles. God I love this car.

At college I'm known as the kid with the weird old car.
It's now in the garage for the winter.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 5, 2009

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

MullardEL34 posted:

1962 Corvair Monza 900 Sedan. Repainted once back in the 80's. Typical Ohio Rust. 84hp Air Cooled flat six engine. Two speed Powerglide automatic transmission. 42,650 original miles. God I love this car.

At college I'm known as the kid with the weird old car.
It's now in the garage for the winter.

I have to wonder, how is that thing on the Interstate?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

MullardEL34 posted:

1962 Corvair Monza 900 Sedan.

Shoot me an IM! We must talk.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

slaphappynickname posted:

2006 Pacifica Limited....$42,000 msrp 2 years ago...lost $130,000 in equity in 12 months...

Is your name Robert Willumstad?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Old thread had some neat cars: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2785394&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Sefyroth
Feb 15, 2007
I am me.
Here's mine, the first week I got it. It's now on 16" winter rims and it has a small dent on the right of the front bumper :(

It's a 2008 GTS. I'm thinking I should have held out for the Ralliart.

With my mom's Mazda 6.

A glimpse of my brother's Celica.

I'm planning on putting a bit of money for performance this spring, still researching where to invest first!

Edit for too wide pictures :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

HEHEHE posted:

318ti

Nice we picked up a black 318ti this fall with a plugged cat and bad idle. Fixed it and it is a great little car. Nice work bringing one back that was bound for scrap.