Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

sigma 6 posted:

I think I speak for a lot of goons when I say it would be most appreciated. I know before you said it was kind of a random work-flow with a lot of tweaking here and there but drat man, please try! :)

I guess one thing I can say which is sort of a 'trick' is to have my lighting a hell of a lot brighter and stronger than you'd think necessary and darken all the textures/add contrast with the colour correct plugin for max. Mid grey becomes white in my sunlight, and I never use actual whites in my materials. The colour I work to is based on how things look in the shade. Lots of vray dirt within the materials to add depth to corners/etc. You can add bitmaps to what would normally be the white/black parts of the dirt, so I copy the texture into the dark part and ramp up the contrast/gamma and take the brightness down.
Incredibly low settings/no AA while i'm working on textures, shitloads of quick test region renders and subtle alterations to hue/colour balance/saturation of materials to make sure they all sit together well.

Thats as close to a workflow as I can think really, it's just constant updates and fine tuning - the more I do it the better it's got. Seems like you're making very little difference at first so it's quite easy to overlook.
Its probably not 'correct', I dont know if it's a popular way of working, but it works for me. I dont see CG as needing so many rules on this scale, it's just about making it look good.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 29, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

cubicle gangster posted:

...the colour correct plugin for max. Mid grey becomes white in my sunlight, and I never use actual whites in my materials. The colour I work to is based on how things look in the shade. Lots of vray dirt within the materials to add depth to corners/etc. You can add bitmaps to what would normally be the white/black parts of the dirt, so I copy the texture into the dark part and ramp up the contrast/gamma and take the brightness down.

Could you elaborate a little on this?? Unfortunately I am a complete newb to vray and have only played around with it a few times. Can similar results be achieved in mental ray with your technique? It makes sense the color you work to would be what the color looks like in the shade, but doesn't the shadow value change according to the time of day? You use the daylight system, correct? Textures should have no shadows on them as all shadows should be created in the scene through the 3d lights.
Which colour correct plugin are you referring to?
I remember back in the day "occlusion" was created with a "dirtmap" but I am not understanding that last part about adding bitmaps to the dirt and tweaking the contrast/gamma/brightness. Is there any way you could demonstrate using pics/examples?
Thanks for taking the time out to explain all this.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
This is the bit about dirt - http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150SP1/vraydirt_params.htm

You can add bitmaps to occluded and unoccluded areas.

I'm not sure what you mean by time of day, I dont use the daylight system. By shade I meant ambient light. And by sun, I mean when my main light hits the surface.

All there really is to it is making everything darker to allow for more contrast. If your textures are really dark and need more powerful light to get lifted up, it gives you a much bigger range of light to work with and generallly gives you more depth in the image. Sorry for the poo poo explanation. If you were sat next to me I could show you what I meant in seconds, but trying to describe whats in my head to someone who I dont know without any sort of visual aid is breaking my brain. :(

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by time of day, I dont use the daylight system. By shade I meant ambient light. And by sun, I mean when my main light hits the surface.

Do you not use the sun/sky system at all? Just direct lights/HDR or something? I never used Vray for exteriors until after the sun/sky system was introduced. All of my knowledge of exterior lighting before that is with non-GI/radiosity solutions.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

sigma 6 posted:

Could you elaborate a little on this?? Unfortunately I am a complete newb to vray and have only played around with it a few times. Can similar results be achieved in mental ray with your technique? It makes sense the color you work to would be what the color looks like in the shade, but doesn't the shadow value change according to the time of day? You use the daylight system, correct? Textures should have no shadows on them as all shadows should be created in the scene through the 3d lights.
Which colour correct plugin are you referring to?
I remember back in the day "occlusion" was created with a "dirtmap" but I am not understanding that last part about adding bitmaps to the dirt and tweaking the contrast/gamma/brightness. Is there any way you could demonstrate using pics/examples?
Thanks for taking the time out to explain all this.

Have a read up on the theory, a quick search threw up these links:
http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray/essential_gamma_01.htm
http://asgvis.com/index.php?Itemid=57&id=24&option=com_content&task=view
http://www.jamesshaw.co.nz/blog/?p=152

Usually what I do is use the sunlight system, set the gamma to ~2, and enable Reinhard colour mapping. Set GI to one bounce, low detail, irradiance. Click render and adjust the exposure of the camera. Then when shading objects you'll find that textures/colours need to be a lot darker than you would have thought.

Edit:
^^^^^^ You can mimic the effect of the sun system- all it's doing is using an env sphere with a gradient for fill light and a key light (the sun) which you can simulate with simply a disc area light. It's just nice that the angle of the sun and the colours in the env sphere are linked, plus the env sphere texture/colour that is 'outputting' light (as gathered by GI rays) is in floating point (not 8bit colour, but rather 32bit and therefore 'hdr').

Heintje fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 30, 2008

PBateman
Mar 11, 2007
Hey! I'm a total newbie at modeling...just downloaded Blender a couple days ago and did a couple tutorials.

I just made this scene:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Just have a few questions:
-How come you can't see the details of my utensils? They look all blurry in the render...did I need to make them big, subdivide a lot and then scale them back to size?

-Any good tutorials that'll teach the basic stuff for Blender that you guys could recommend? I've found quite a few good ones already but more input is always nice :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're blurry because they're only a few pixels tall.

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Yeah they are tiny and possibly not smoothed, as the vase and chairs aren't smoothed either.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!
Hey guys, just thought I'd bring this up because I know some of you have artwork that has been ripped off in this reel.

http://dfclimoilou.qc.ca/animation3d/juin2007/giroux_madeleine/fiche.html

Here is some stuff from my short film that she re-created.(Ripped off)
My stuff!

Copy of my stuff.

I also recognize some other stuff that has been posted in the 3d threads. Just a heads up. Some of it looks like it's from that goon go cart racing game, and some of those buildings at the start look very similar to touchtonedialings earlier stuff.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2994255&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
here is the thread where it was discovered. Figured if any of you had artwork that was ripped off you'd like to know.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Wow, at first I didn't think much of it, just a really uncreative student reel. Then the completely unaltered track footage from Zero Gear and an art gallery full of Tony Danza's Ho illustrations definitely put it over the edge. That's shameless!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

DefMech posted:

Do you not use the sun/sky system at all? Just direct lights/HDR or something?

I do sometimes, sometimes I make my own hdri's from it and customise them, and sometimes use the comptex - basically a way of using photoshop blending modes with 2 bitmaps (additive clouds over bare sky bg, for example)
However thats not as important as you think, thats just for colour. Realism tends to come from depth between light/dark areas and dirt, colours can be adjusted easily enough and they're dependant on what type of scene you actually want.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Hey guys, just thought I'd bring this up because I know some of you have artwork that has been ripped off in this reel.

I also recognize some other stuff that has been posted in the 3d threads. Just a heads up. Some of it looks like it's from that goon go cart racing game, and some of those buildings at the start look very similar to touchtonedialings earlier stuff.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2994255&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
here is the thread where it was discovered. Figured if any of you had artwork that was ripped off you'd like to know.

I'm actually in the same program she is! seems like she finished already though and I have no idea how I could help here. If there is anything you would like me to ask be done (if it's reasonable) I could look it out. I could go and see the program coordinator but if she's gone from school I believe it won't be of use much. :)

I don't know if I take PM's but if you need to contact me I check the thread everyso often.

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
Finally had some time to just play with stuff for no specific purpose, here's something I put together in the holidays. Don't know if I'm finished with it, but I really need to start doing something else now. It's modeled mostly in Max and the rest is done with Houdini/Mantra. Mostly just traditional lighting with a bunch of spotlights, shadow maps, blinns and lamberts. Friends of Russian literature might recognize the scene...

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Odddzy posted:

I'm actually in the same program she is! seems like she finished already though and I have no idea how I could help here. If there is anything you would like me to ask be done (if it's reasonable) I could look it out. I could go and see the program coordinator but if she's gone from school I believe it won't be of use much. :)

I don't know if I take PM's but if you need to contact me I check the thread everyso often.

There are an assload of Goons currently on the search for this person, I'm sure any help you could provide would be appreciated by Melee Beats, who she scammed for $2000.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
wtf, what has this person done? links?

edit: oooh right, it was the scam thread in GBS. Hahaha this person is going to be hosed with this many goons looking.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Heintje posted:

wtf, what has this person done? links?

edit: oooh right, it was the scam thread in GBS. Hahaha this person is going to be hosed with this many goons looking.

Ok, forget it, the other thread about the girl is just too drat annoying for my tastes (two pages talking about some girls vag? Grow up!).

The girl isn't at that school anymore, as those who have been touched by this should know, she graduated two years ago so I can't do anything for you there.

If anyone wants to be serious about this, I can offer my help, just let me know and i'll shoot you the e-mail of the responsible of my program. The guy is a teacher in her program and could perhaps take her reel off the web. If this isn't good enough for some of you, I could perhaps go and see him and explain the situation (''a girl ripped off stuff from people I met on the internet, here is why you have to take her reel off the server'' kinda stuff but it won't work as long as I don't have concrete evidence that she has stolen anything)

So if you want, send me stuff you did she ripped off with PROOF and I'll pass it along, OR, I can send you his e-mail address. I don't know what could be best but I'd like to help out.

Just remember to keep the scams and stuff she did out of this, i'm only doing it because you've been ripped off and I would expect the same of others in this thread.

If I don't get any news, i'll just let this subject slip into oblivion but the other thread isn't a place where i'll wade through pages upon pages of losers wishing they could one day impress a girl enough on the net to get down with her. :)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's been some cool stauff posted in this thread since I last posted
The lighting and DOF in that image are really nice sinc

I'm sick of working as a generalist on crappy TV commercials and want to go in the modeling direction. Thus I'm doing a bunch of anatomy and character tests with MAX and Zbrush. This much took about half a day but would need a fair bit more work.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

Odddzy posted:

Ok, forget it, the other thread about the girl is just too drat annoying for my tastes (two pages talking about some girls vag? Grow up!).

The girl isn't at that school anymore, as those who have been touched by this should know, she graduated two years ago so I can't do anything for you there.

If anyone wants to be serious about this, I can offer my help, just let me know and i'll shoot you the e-mail of the responsible of my program. The guy is a teacher in her program and could perhaps take her reel off the web. If this isn't good enough for some of you, I could perhaps go and see him and explain the situation (''a girl ripped off stuff from people I met on the internet, here is why you have to take her reel off the server'' kinda stuff but it won't work as long as I don't have concrete evidence that she has stolen anything)

So if you want, send me stuff you did she ripped off with PROOF and I'll pass it along, OR, I can send you his e-mail address. I don't know what could be best but I'd like to help out.

Just remember to keep the scams and stuff she did out of this, i'm only doing it because you've been ripped off and I would expect the same of others in this thread.

If I don't get any news, i'll just let this subject slip into oblivion but the other thread isn't a place where i'll wade through pages upon pages of losers wishing they could one day impress a girl enough on the net to get down with her. :)

Yeah, the scam thread turned to crap pretty fast. Anyways, thanks for the info! I don't see much more coming from this. Her reel isn't that great and I doubt she'll be getting a job anywhere off of it. If someone else wants to take it further they can. But I doubt anything will come from it. Thanks again! And good luck in the program.

EoinCannon-Great looking model!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EoinCannon posted:

There's been some cool stauff posted in this thread since I last posted
The lighting and DOF in that image are really nice sinc

I'm sick of working as a generalist on crappy TV commercials and want to go in the modeling direction. Thus I'm doing a bunch of anatomy and character tests with MAX and Zbrush. This much took about half a day but would need a fair bit more work.

I would love to see a realtime vid to see how you accomplish that much work in half a day.

Where's his genitalia? It looks really good, but if you're going to model it that realistically, then give him some genitalia.

Eep
Jan 24, 2007
Title text: Optional
gearing up to tackling matchmoving soon, what do you guys recommend i should start with? boujou, pftrack?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've only used boujou but found it relatively simple to get results from, depending on the quality of the footage of course. I think pftrack has most of the same features.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Syntheyes is also very good. As good as boujou for quality of track i'd say, and much cheaper.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cubicle gangster posted:

Syntheyes is also very good. As good as boujou for quality of track i'd say, and much cheaper.

I started with Boujou, and moved on to Syntheyes. I could customize my track much easier, and felt I had much more control with Syntheyes. That being said, I'll still throw a clip through Boujou if the other program is giving my wonky results since it's essentially a 1 button solution.

Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?
I haven't really touched anything 3d related in years. I picked up the ZBrush trial tonight on a whim after reading this thread on and off.

There's a handful of glaring errors (god drat ears are a pain), but I can't even begin to express how awesome it was to bust that out so quickly. In the past I've given up trying to make a character with other apps due to the technical restraints and complications of poly pushing, but ZBrush just makes that all go away. Seriously impressed.

Edit: I've been updating it, drat this is a fun program.

Azazel fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 6, 2009

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

Anybody know how i can get max to give me like a series of images of the outlines of the cross section of a model from bottom to top about 1cm apart?

PowerLlama
Mar 11, 2008

I love SynthEyes. But not many places use it. Everywhere has boujou though.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Stocking posted:

Anybody know how i can get max to give me like a series of images of the outlines of the cross section of a model from bottom to top about 1cm apart?

I can't think of a way to do this automatically but you could put a volume select modifier on the object with the selection level set to vertex (or face probably) and then put a deletemesh on top of that. You can them move the vol. select gizmo along and delete all the mesh within it. Something like that anyway.

Fake Edit: You could also put an edit poly modifier on top of the deletemesh to clear the selection and then put a cap holes on top of that so you have a surface instead of an open hole.

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 6, 2009

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer

Stocking posted:

You can use the Section shape for that, it creates a shape outlining the mesh. like this:

Click here for the full 1600x1016 image.

I used it to make some CAD reference for a bridge console of a ship interior i had to viz, so that they can manufacture it. It was fun :haw:

Might as well post something i made recently:

Click here for the full 1600x729 image.

Click here for the full 1536x698 image.

Click here for the full 1536x698 image.

The problem is, i modeled this house off a photo of a small real model (maquette?), which has no environment, and since i'm poo poo at designing, the environment is kinda... lovely.

International Log fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 6, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The grass is really great Log
I've never even seen that Section shape before :downs:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Continuing my mission to improve my modeling and put together a showreel to get a modeling gig. This one is about 4 hours work at this point. Hands and feet have not been touched at all yet. Hair is just a visual aid at this point. I would hope that people could recognise the likeness although the proportions are not quite there yet.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EoinCannon posted:

Continuing my mission to improve my modeling and put together a showreel to get a modeling gig. This one is about 4 hours work at this point. Hands and feet have not been touched at all yet. Hair is just a visual aid at this point. I would hope that people could recognise the likeness although the proportions are not quite there yet.

Don't know who it is yet, but yeah it looks good except for some slight proportion irregularities. For being as lean, cut as he is the upper thigh/hip area has just a bit too much mass, that or the upper body needs to V out just a tad bit more. Subtle changes of course, looks great overall except still no genitalia and it really stands out.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

International Log posted:

You can use the Section shape for that, it creates a shape outlining the mesh. like this:

Hahahah in what... 7 years of using max I never noticed that little button sitting at the bottom. I wonder what else in there I've missed.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

IGGY?!

If so, goddamn that is so awesome.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Akaikami posted:

IGGY?!

If so, goddamn that is so awesome.

And if so then, yeah the thighs need to be chicken bone thin. Saw that guy last year and he's the skinniest human alive.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

BonoMan posted:

And if so then, yeah the thighs need to be chicken bone thin. Saw that guy last year and he's the skinniest human alive.

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img136/3531/igi5ks3.jpg

Dunno man, his thighs look decent in this pic. It might be the angle of the picture but he fills in the thighs of the jeans pretty good.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Akaikami posted:

http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img136/3531/igi5ks3.jpg

Dunno man, his thighs look decent in this pic. It might be the angle of the picture but he fills in the thighs of the jeans pretty good.

I can't see that pic, but here: http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2008/03/05/iggy_pop_wideweb__470x297,0.jpg

They're pretty skinny.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback people, very useful
Yeah It's supposed to be Iggy
The genitalia is noticeably lacking, maybe there's something Freudian going on in my head?
As for his general build, It really does seem to vary from picture to picture and from pose to pose. Mine is far from accurate but I will be aiming for something close to this

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Slowly working on the lighting and props now that I've got a little spare time at work. I'm working on a new one from an old model I did when we painted our kitchen last year. The shot is going to be through the window over the sink, looking at the stove, but for now I'm just trying some (very splotchy) lighting.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

higher angle

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 7, 2009

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
So today I decided to try getting into zbrush, so I downloaded the trial and...

Uh, is the interface SUPPOSED to be this bad? I just want to do some displacement mapping. Would I be better off just using the mudbox trial? I only gave it a glance, but the interface seems less daunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The ZBrush interface feels really weird when you start using it, especially if you're familiar with most mainstream 3D apps. Mudbox is more 'maya-like' in it's UI as far as I know. That said, there is a reason why heaps of amazing artists use Zbrush, it is rewarding once you figure out the UI.

If you only want to do some displacement mapping maybe go with the UI that is more immediately useable to you.