Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

Cart posted:

Just finishing up The Shield (god season 5 ending was brutal, can't wait to see the fallout) and I think I need a break from this type of show before starting on The Wire.

Figured I'd go for a more lighthearted show, was thinking of either Chuck or Burn Notice, are they any good at all, how do they compare?

I've just recently made my way through Chuck, and I've been a fan of Burn Notice since early on. Both shows are different but if you like lighthearted shows with a sense of humor and a cool attitude, both are very well. Burn Notice is more of a cool spy thriller with comedy elements thrown in, Chuck is made by the same guy who made "The O.C", but it takes the good elements of that and adds in better humor. It has the same sort of sexual tension that "The O.C." had and a good soundtrack without the soap operaish elements. If you have the time, try watching both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Trophy Boner posted:

Oh nevermind, you're rewatching it, not watching it for the first time.

Was that for me? I am rewatching both, although I recently binged through Lost, and I'm just doing again, hopefully I can time it right so that I wrap up Season 4 on or about January 20th so I can seamlessly segue into Season 5 on the 21st.

BTW, Rome won out. :hist101: THIRTEEN!!!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Veronica Mars S3 (only found I had this on this on dvd recently)
Sons of Anarchy S1, Lost S4 - was working a night shift and tore through these in several nights (nothing happens over Xmas week).
Next up:
Chuck S2
Eli Stone S2

CMingus
Sep 16, 2002
running away
We are 1/2 way through Boston Legal

next up: BSG S2

with one L
Jul 30, 2008
Just finished both season of Big Love which I enjoyed and am now looking forward to the 3rd season in a few weeks. Also watched the first season of Breaking Bad . Bryan Cranston makes that whole show, he's fantastic in it. Next up is both seasons of The Tudors

Mike Hock
Jun 22, 2005

The gift that gives back.
I finished the first four seasons of Entourage a while back and I finally have all the episodes of The Venture Brothers on my DVR to go back through although I think I've already seen every episode.

However, the show that is my digital crack right now is The Wire. This might be one of the best shows ever put on TV. I mean I used to love the Sopranos when I still had HBO but The Wire is on a totally different level for me. I've gone through the first 4 seasons in a week and plan to finish the series as soon as possible although I know it's going to be depressing when it does actually end. I really want this show on Bluray as soon as possible.

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
Has there been a good SciFi show after BSG? Is anything on at the moment at all? (trying to lessen the shock of BSG ending soon)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've been watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. I love it but each episode is so hard to watch due to its awkwardness.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I just finished Carnivale today, those bastards I demand a 3rd season.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Kane posted:

Has there been a good SciFi show after BSG? Is anything on at the moment at all? (trying to lessen the shock of BSG ending soon)

Let's see:

Firefly
Babylon 5 (I've only seen the first season, which sucked, but everyone else around here swears it gets better in Season Two)
Dr. Who
Sliders (Just the first two seasons)
Farscape (Though I'm not sure how to get a copy, short of :filez:)
Futurama
The X-Files
The Twilight Zone (There's a marathon running right now)

If you're looking for something close to BSG, go with Firefly or Babylon 5.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All those shows came before BSG

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Mu Zeta posted:

All those shows came before BSG

Well, in that case, just Dr. Who. And you'll need to wait a year before new episodes air, because its on hiatus right now.

Maybe also Caprica (if it ends up being any good) or Fables (if ABC picks up the show after the pilot and if it also ends up being any good).

rangergirl
Jun 3, 2004
A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer
I sat inside last Sunday eating leftover Christmas candy and watching 8 hours of Deadwood. I love that show and I love the word "cocksucker".

Also, I didn't know they were making a Fables miniseries (or whatever). I hope they don't gently caress it up too badly, it's one of my favorite series.

rangergirl fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 1, 2009

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
e

4665c1074f50

Annabel Pee fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 24, 2016

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Generation Kill. God, it's depressing.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Doakes posted:

Wire (Never seen)

Good Choice?

Yes. I'm guessing just season 1 though? You may want to save up for when you buy the others.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Mike Hock posted:

However, the show that is my digital crack right now is The Wire. This might be one of the best shows ever put on TV. I mean I used to love the Sopranos when I still had HBO but The Wire is on a totally different level for me. I've gone through the first 4 seasons in a week and plan to finish the series as soon as possible although I know it's going to be depressing when it does actually end. I really want this show on Bluray as soon as possible.

Same here. I'm toward the end of Season 2 right now, and it is one of the best tv shows I have ever watched. I'm a really big fan of crime dramas, and I'm so glad that I started watching this show.

I also recently binged through most of Jericho and Weeds. I love winter break. :)

I am going to start watching 30 Rock whenever I finish with these shows.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
Binging through House season one, going on season 2 of Queer as Folk, just got American Gothic and the short live "Invasion".

I am psyched.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
question about six feet under

Earlier in the thread I mentioned I was plowing through it. The first season is fantastic, I was consumed by it's awesomeness.

Now I'm watching the second season and I feel like I'm really starting to hate almost all the characters except for dave and the mother. Their story lines are too dramatic ( I know its a drama but season one was also funny!) for my tastes. I know the first season formula would get stale if overused but it was cool to see other characters.

In my opinion Nate is just unlikeable, if he isn't crying then he's being a really unlikeable guy and I'm even surprised brenda puts up with this dude. Brenda sucks, I don't want to spoil it for anyone but if you watched it, she's not really likable either. Claire is just a dumb teenage girl ( I mean she does that well but I never did like her character).

Special mention to Federico, even though he is homophobic I still like him, he's just a charming dude ( i always liked him in scrubs) and hardworking. I wish they'd give him more episodes and wrote in some respect for him, they treat him like poo poo.

Saying all that, is season three any good or does it drift to the poo poo pit? I really don't want to spend much more money then I have to and I'm ok to just stop watching. The episodes have been a chore to get through this season.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

^ I'm sure many people will tell you to watch the whole series. I myself quit at the end of Season 2 because I hated all the characters. Then a friend lent me Season 5 DVDs and it was worth it just to watch the last 5 or so episodes because they were great. I don't feel like I missed out on anything.

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Binging through House season one, going on season 2 of Queer as Folk, just got American Gothic and the short live "Invasion".
American Gothic is as awesome as I remembered it, except the special effects reek of 90's cheesiness.

Question:
I'm about to watch Generation Kill soon and I know there's a lot of characters. Can I watch it like I did The Wire where I just watched the first few episodes not fully understanding everything and then eventually, it all clicks together? Or should I really put an effort to keep track of all the people?

roxanne
Sep 5, 2006

Started watching Lost a couple of months back, got to about episode 15 of season one and just stopped. I started back up about a week ago and now I just have to watch the season 4 finale and I'm done. Don't know why I stopped watching in the first place but it sucked me in this time. I'm going to miss watching a ton of episodes a day. :(

I borrowed season 1 of The Wire from a friend after all the recs here and I watched one episode and I don't know if I can bring myself to watch anymore. I don't know what it is but I just didn't really like it, I might force myself to go through the season though because apparently it's really good, right? :sigh:

I want to start watching Supernatural but I'm a huge wimp and I need someone to watch it with me.

Anorak Revolution
Apr 26, 2008

by Fragmaster
Lost here, starting from the pilot tonight, hoping to be done with season 4 by the time season 5 begins. Really psyched :lost:

ChristianDB posted:

question about six feet under

Saying all that, is season three any good or does it drift to the poo poo pit? I really don't want to spend much more money then I have to and I'm ok to just stop watching. The episodes have been a chore to get through this season.

Stick through with it. SFU is not even-handed, the middle bit can be dragging on for some people, but it's still hands down the best American Drama series there ever was.

Season 3 isn't liked too much because of one character, but trust me, go through with it, and when the last episode of season 5 is over, you'll be incredibly glad you went through it (well, after crying your heart out)

TuxRacer69
May 6, 2007

by Fragmaster

roxanne posted:

I borrowed season 1 of The Wire from a friend after all the recs here and I watched one episode and I don't know if I can bring myself to watch anymore. I don't know what it is but I just didn't really like it, I might force myself to go through the season though because apparently it's really good, right? :sigh:

I did this the first time I was going to watch The Wire and it was a big mistake. When I went back to try again I finished the first season and was mad at myself for postponing so long.

Of course, now I'm doing the same thing with Season 2 (got 2 episodes in and then kinda forgot about it :v:)

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Anorak Revolution posted:

and when the last episode of season 5 is over, you'll be incredibly glad you went through it (well, after crying your heart out)

The last 10 min of the finale is the best ever. It's worth watching the entire series if only for the finale. Even just hearing that song "Breathe Me" ... :cry:

Edit: Right after I posted this, I thought it sounded familiar. Turns out I've already said something similar in this very thread. Whoops.

Pardot fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 2, 2009

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Just binged through the first four seasons of The Shield. I'm really impressed by it, especially how it never pulls it punches.

Eagerly awaiting the fifth series to arrive at my door, but I probably need something a little lighter until then so I've grabbed the first 30 Rock DVD

Kane
Aug 20, 2000

Do you see the problem?

Conscious of pain, you're distracted by pain.
You're fixated on it. Obsessed by one threat, you miss the other.

So much more aware, so much less perceptive. An automaton could do better.

Are you in there?

Are you listening? Can you see?
No one's making SciFi anymore, huh. That sucks.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Kane posted:

No one's making SciFi anymore, huh. That sucks.
:lost:

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!
Right now I'm binging my way through season 1 of The Shield. I've really been enjoying it overall, but it's definitely not as good as The Wire. I've got a birthday coming up in February and I'm hoping that I'll be able to get the complete series set of The Wire that was just recently released. I've only seen the first 3 seasons so far, but it's most definitely one of my favorite shows of all time and I look forward to watching it all from start to finish ASAP.

Recently I've also binged on Smallville S1, Spaced, Heroes S2 and How I Met Your Mother S2 - current S4.

My goals are to complete the following in a somewhat timely fashion:

30 Rock S1
Friday Night Lights S1
John From Cincinatti S1
Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles S1
The Venture Brothers S2
Freakazoid S1
Carnivale S1
Veronica Mars S3

We'll see how fast I actually make it through all that stuff, but I'll give it a shot. I've actually got more stuff that I need to watch besides just those sets, but I figured I may as well start somewhere.

Dayewalker fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 5, 2009

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

incredible bear posted:

:lost:

I just rewatched all of Season 1 over the last week and drat was that some good television.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Yer Burnt posted:

I'm about to watch Generation Kill soon and I know there's a lot of characters. Can I watch it like I did The Wire where I just watched the first few episodes not fully understanding everything and then eventually, it all clicks together? Or should I really put an effort to keep track of all the people?
Well the one thing about Generation Kill is that it is very re-watchable, so there is no reason to get worried about not getting everything at once. It makes it just as enjoyable to watch the second time.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

roxanne posted:

My problem with The Wire was that there were so many people and I felt like unless I had my eyes glued to the TV while watching it I couldn't keep up. I usually watch shows while playing video games or browsing the internet. So I ended up loading up HBO's episode guide and reading the recap after watching each episode so I made sure I understood everything that happened every hour. That helped me get into the show more.

I think a lot of people have the same problem you're feeling in the first few episodes of the show. But really, stick with it, it keeps getting better.

Xankrys
Jul 26, 2006

Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen
Jeeves and Wooster. I picked up on a lark from B&N, and am now three quarters of the way through the series.

And all this while reading some of the books at the same time.

If I don't watch myself, I start sounding like something out of a bad Fitzgerald novel.

And House, moreso than usual. With bits of Blackadder thrown in. (It's sad...I think, that three completely seperate binges all have the commonality of Hugh Laurie in them, but I'm watching them for three completely different reasons.)

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Just bought season 3 of Buffy so I'm going to watch the first three seasons over the course of a few weeks. Haven't watched this show in a long time so it should be fun.

I'll probably do the same thing with Stargate Atlantis. I don't know if I'll like it as much as SG-1 but I bought the first two seasons for $15 each so I could probably do worse, right? :unsmith:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Because of the horrible holiday black hole where nothing remotely new airs, I decided to check out Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Pretty drat good show.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Babylon 5. I've been burning through the first couple of seasons on Hulu, watching 1-2 episodes a day. I only watched it occasionally when it first aired, so I didn't really get the full effect. I think already knowing the overall plot has actually improved my enjoyment of the show, since I think I would have missed a lot of cool moments otherwise.

I might try watching Twin Peaks or Heroes after this, but I'm not sure.

Lately I've had the urge to watch a Star Trek series. I guess I'll give Voyager or Enterprise another shot at some point.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Been watching Spaced and Coupling with a new lady friend. She's loved both so far. I'm going to start on Mad Men pretty soon.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

NotInventedHere posted:

Babylon 5. I've been burning through the first couple of seasons on Hulu, watching 1-2 episodes a day. I only watched it occasionally when it first aired, so I didn't really get the full effect. I think already knowing the overall plot has actually improved my enjoyment of the show, since I think I would have missed a lot of cool moments otherwise.

Yeah, the first season especially is much better when you get to see all the foreshadowing and buildup.

Citizen Dildoe
Jan 28, 2003

BattleSitar Galactica

...back in June I posted:

...wife and I went through Arrested Development in a few weeks and loved it...now working through The Sopranos...after that the next series on our plate will be The Wire...

It took me a little longer to get to but I just finished The Wire this evening. I found that it started slow and had no immediate hook for me but it didn't take me long to realize how great this series was. I would like to rewatch it again soon.

I was late getting onto The Wire because the wife and I went through Weeds and Entourage. We enjoyed both shows and look forward to their return in the new year, but Entourage was a lot better than we expected. Weeds was a good watch, I got a little frustrated with the drama surrounding Nancy at the end of the last season but Doug and Andy made up for any shortcomings.

We also started watching Six Feet Under and are nearly done season one. We have kind of fallen out of the show in the last few weeks but we just need to watch a few episodes back-to-back in order to jump back into the show. Since Six Feet Under is a little heavy for Sunday afternoon watching we began rewatching Arrested Development and laugh harder than we did the first time around.

With The Wire done my personal watch list will be Generation Kill and Band of Brothers. I would also like to go through Firefly again but I will see how things look in a few months.

EDIT: Perhaps I should add The Shield to my list because I have seen it mentioned a lot here.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I recently picked up Mad Men season 1 on Blu-Ray so I've been watching that. The only thing is that the show is so intense that I have to limit myself to just one or maybe two episodes a night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

JustV posted:

Let's see:

Firefly
Babylon 5 (I've only seen the first season, which sucked, but everyone else around here swears it gets better in Season Two)
Dr. Who
Sliders (Just the first two seasons)
Farscape (Though I'm not sure how to get a copy, short of :filez:)
Futurama
The X-Files
The Twilight Zone (There's a marathon running right now)

If you're looking for something close to BSG, go with Firefly or Babylon 5.

Farscape is readily available in Australia over at Ezydvd. I'm sure you'll be able to find a copy where ever you/he live/s. Ezydvd does ship overseas if worse comes to worse.

I have been attempting to watch Babylon 5, but I only purchased Season 1 and so far have been unable to get past the second dvd. I guess it's just not my bag, which is a shame as I love most SciFis that other fans seem to love along side it.

I would attempt to get Farscape if i was in your shoes, as good as Firefly is. It doesn't have an end, and it leaves you wanting. Don't punish yourself with a series that sets up a few story lines you will be looking forward to, and then ends out of the blue. Farscape while not as down to earth as Firefly, is a great watch that is worth checking out.