Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SolidRed posted:

Farscape is readily available in Australia over at Ezydvd. I'm sure you'll be able to find a copy where ever you/he live/s. Ezydvd does ship overseas if worse comes to worse.

I have been attempting to watch Babylon 5, but I only purchased Season 1 and so far have been unable to get past the second dvd. I guess it's just not my bag, which is a shame as I love most SciFis that other fans seem to love along side it.

I would attempt to get Farscape if i was in your shoes, as good as Firefly is. It doesn't have an end, and it leaves you wanting. Don't punish yourself with a series that sets up a few story lines you will be looking forward to, and then ends out of the blue. Farscape while not as down to earth as Firefly, is a great watch that is worth checking out.

If you can make it through the first season of Farscape to get to the good stuff, you should give the same try at Babylon 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I couldn't even get past the first episode of Farscape. :(

I do plan on trying to get past the first season of Babylon 5 though... it sounds exactly like the kind of scifi I'd like.

I want to watch Deep Space Nine for the same reasons as Babylon 5, but I feel I should watch TNG first. I'm about halfway through the first season, and boy does it start out bad (excluding the great pilot). It has slowly gotten better though, I'm starting to enjoy it. If it keeps getting better, I'll be hooked eventually.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get through the first holodeck episode. :(

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah, Farscape definitely requires a certain taste. B5 starts out on somewhat more familiar ground for Trek fans, stylistically and thematically.

Maybe it's because I had already seen it and knew what to expect, but when I rewatched B5 I thought most of the first season was at least acceptable. There is a lot of stuff that you probably don't really pick up on the first time through. The main problem I think is the actors hadn't settled into their roles, and the effects, on top of being dated, ranged from bad to mediocre even at the time. In those respects I'd say it's similar to the way TNG starts off, so it doesn't seem like it should be too big an obstacle for you.

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video
I just finished the series finale of Six Feet Under about 20 minutes ago. It's been said before (in the last 2-3 pages of this thread even), but despite never liking more than maybe two characters and really not enjoying a good half of the show, the last 10 or so minutes of the series finale totally justified watching it all. I'd never bawled at a TV show before tonight :cry:

Perfect doesn't begin to describe it.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

Astroturf Neckbeard posted:

I just finished the series finale of Six Feet Under about 20 minutes ago. It's been said before (in the last 2-3 pages of this thread even), but despite never liking more than maybe two characters and really not enjoying a good half of the show, the last 10 or so minutes of the series finale totally justified watching it all. I'd never bawled at a TV show before tonight :cry:

Perfect doesn't begin to describe it.

okay how would you do this? i mean im just finishing season two...that means like thirty six more hours of this is impossible. i do want to see the ending but skipping towards it would probably just confuse me.

Is there a glimmer of goodness in 3/4/5?

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video
Some of the characters do get more tolerable, and there are some interesting story arcs. It's not bad television by any means, and you should totally stick with it to the end.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Some of the characters do get more tolerable, and there are some interesting story arcs. It's not bad television by any means, and you should totally stick with it to the end.

Agreed. The first season or two were the best. The rest were just okay. Certainly better than most things on TV. As much as I can't stand Jeremy Sisto, Billy was one of my favorite characters when he was off his meds. The rest of them? Meh. The finale was loving fantastic, but it gave me a weird feeling that everything was about Claire, and I never really liked her. Go ahead and stick with it. The payoff is worth it.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
alright I will, i mean the end of season 2 kind of picked up

just wanted to add I hope the mom stays as endearing as she has been in the first two seasons, she makes me want to hug my mom sometimes and is the voice of reason. I hope david remains awesome and nate isn't such a tool in season 3

ChristianDB fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 5, 2009

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video

ChristianDB posted:

alright I will, i mean the end of season 2 kind of picked up

just wanted to add I hope the mom stays as endearing as she has been in the first two seasons, she makes me want to hug my mom sometimes and is the voice of reason. I hope david remains awesome and nate isn't such a tool in season 3

I don't want to spoil too much, but don't get your hopes up. I pretty much hated Ruth from the start, though. By the end of the series, Nate was pretty much my most hated character.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

I don't want to spoil too much, but don't get your hopes up. I pretty much hated Ruth from the start, though. By the end of the series, Nate was pretty much my most hated character.

well then.

haha

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Trophy Boner posted:

I couldn't even get past the first episode of Farscape. :(

I do plan on trying to get past the first season of Babylon 5 though... it sounds exactly like the kind of scifi I'd like.

I want to watch Deep Space Nine for the same reasons as Babylon 5, but I feel I should watch TNG first. I'm about halfway through the first season, and boy does it start out bad (excluding the great pilot). It has slowly gotten better though, I'm starting to enjoy it. If it keeps getting better, I'll be hooked eventually.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get through the first holodeck episode. :(

You don't need to watch TNG to power through DS9. I saw all seasons of DS9 before TNG and there was nothing clashing or missed. I enjoyed DS9 more so than TNG as well. I tried getting into B5 but I watched the first 5 episodes or so and it is excruciatingly hard to watch. I hope it picks up in later seasons because I'm not getting the same feel from this as I did from DS9, which was hard to put down and stop watching.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

SolidRed posted:

I have been attempting to watch Babylon 5, but I only purchased Season 1 and so far have been unable to get past the second dvd. I guess it's just not my bag, which is a shame as I love most SciFis that other fans seem to love along side it.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

I tried getting into B5 but I watched the first 5 episodes or so and it is excruciatingly hard to watch.

I was exactly the same way. In fact, despite loving B5, I still have to force myself to sit through the first season. In fact the first 5 episodes of B5 might be the single worst thing I've ever had to endure.

However, and this is the biggest "however" in the history of the internet, unless good TV isn't your bag, get season 2 and then come back here to tell all of us how wrong you were.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
halfway through the third season of six feet under, it's not as bad as I thought it would be. But do the writers purposely make everyone as unlikable as possible? It seems like they went OUT OF THEIR WAY to make federico and the new chick douchebags. Jesus.

But it hasn't been a chore yet, man I should get some sleep.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not going to tolerate all this Six Feet Under hate :(

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Just over halfway through the first season of Stargate Atlantis and it's actually a lot better than I thought it would be. Very impressed so far. Sheppard shooting baddies from up above in The Eye was loving badass. :dance:

Unfortunately there's no emoticon to convey how absolutely awesome McKay is.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It goes downhill after season 1. They pussify Sheperd so much it's unbelievable. The finale of season 1 is badass so you got some decent TV to look forward to.

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not going to tolerate all this Six Feet Under hate :(

It's not hate, at least not on my part. I did mostly enjoy the show, I just didn't get into it like I usually do with shows I binge through. Only reason I can imagine is the majority of the characters being totally unlikable.

Actually, I was also wondering if they were intentionally written like that.
...were they?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I liked almost all the characters. Billy was over the top but I liked him too. It's fun seeing a grown man cry. I didn't like Lisa because she felt out of place in the show.

It's life, sometimes people just do stupid or mean poo poo for no reason. They all had flaws.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

I liked Ruth just fine until the way she treated George after he got out of the hospital. I mean the gently caress? Dumping him off in an apartment and just trying to forget about him. Seriously? I couldn't ever bring myself to like her again and her very last scene only made me sad because of the other characters, not because of her. But yeah, stick with Six Feet Under, there's some fantastic stuff coming up, and the ending doesn't disappoint.

I had the same problem as a lot of other people with Babylon 5. The first season is on Hulu and I started it a few months ago and got through the pilot + like 4 more episodes and haven't gone back. It's one of those shows I've always promised myself I'd watch since I love TNG so much and like DS9, but I wasn't enjoying anything about the show so far.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Started with Mad Men yesterday. Bought it on a whim and based on it's internet merits when it was on sale a couple of weeks ago. I'm now 4 episodes in and so far, I am a tad disappointed. From the description I expected it to focus more on the work in the agency instead of the boring family drama surrounding some if not all of the characters.

At this point, I find it hard to like any of the characters (except Christina Hendricks' :swoon:), and while this may be intentional, I hope that changes soon. Currently I don't give a gently caress about Draper and whom he is screwing with or if Campbell will eventually lose his job or be miserable with his wife. I'd prefer more advertising magic and office intrigue.

I'm not quite getting the hype, but I'll stick with it to see where it goes.

On the plus side, the BluRay looks fantastic and both the costumes and the set design do a good job of conveying the spirit of that era.

Oh, and I love the opening credits.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I watched every single episode of How I Met Your Mother in 1 week. I love that show so drat much. I never thought I'd enjoy a show, any show, on CBS other than Letterman.

I'm starting to rewatch Rescue Me again all the way through for the 4th time. I figure that I'll be all the way through by the time the new season starts.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

It goes downhill after season 1. They pussify Sheperd so much it's unbelievable.

I still don't get why you and a couple others keep saying that about Shepard.

And Atlantis was pretty consistent in quality, which is not to say it's an excellent show or anything, but I can't point to a season and say it was truly any worse than another. Except maybe the season where Tapping was around to run out her contract.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
House - up until the newest episode. Apparently, the tv network's been showing it for ages, but I just managed to catch the start of season 2-ish and the season(s) throughout. Incidentally, it's the best season, and it seems to decline steadily from then on. The first half of season 3 is great, and throughout the entire series, the dialogue is the best-written I've seen for a long time, if not ever. However, the medical aspect and focus, which I've thoroughly enjoyed and delved into has been neglected like a celebrity youngster's offspring from around that point on.

The loss of Cameron and Jess really seems to have killed it off, too, and there's a dynamic that is severely crippled - the new squad's characters aren't properly introduced or detailed, and I initially thought that they would only be transitory, considering how little attention they've seemed to get. Hot bisexual or not.

The three main aspects of House are Medicine, Humour and Soap - the last two still exist, but at great expenses; House may be funny, it's not going anywhere. The tension between who's going to boink who isn't very interesting anymore to me particularly when the writers don't write consistent characters, with Cameron going in a bujillion different ways at the same time. If Wilson weren't there, who knows where we'd be.

My annoyance with the show du jour is how everyone's so loving compelled to analyze each other - constantly. "House, you just blablablabla". And to what end? Whedon-esque angst and stuff, maybe. Or they want to create an illusion of complex personalities - i.e. realistic ones.

Which brings me to: The theme of "you need to break out of your stable, boring life and do crazy poo poo - carpe loving diem"(TM) is also annoying me to no end: At least House, Cameron, Julia/13 and Foreman have been through it at this point. Wat.

Also, the dream and hallucinations sequences. Enough already.

I still watch the show, hoping that some of the things are addressed - after all, season 2 was great, and you're often entertained to a satisfactory degree regardless.

cnrkb fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 5, 2009

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

IRQ posted:

I still don't get why you and a couple others keep saying that about Shepard.

And Atlantis was pretty consistent in quality, which is not to say it's an excellent show or anything, but I can't point to a season and say it was truly any worse than another. Except maybe the season where Tapping was around to run out her contract.

In the first season finale, you can see the fuming hatred in his eyes when he yells "Kolllyyyaaaaaaaa!" For a moment I was impressed at how dark it was and that maybe the show was going in a much darker path than I thought. But that kind of emotion never really happens again.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
A friend just lent me the first season of The Wire, and I have to say, I hate it so far, and I think you guys are a bunch of liars.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Zealous Abattoir posted:

A friend just lent me the first season of The Wire, and I have to say, I hate it so far, and I think you guys are a bunch of liars.

I never got past the first few episodes, but everybody seems to agree that it's the greatest show ever so I keep meaning to go back and give it a go.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Zuffox posted:

House

House is a pretty entertaining show if you watch it for House being crazy and funny. If you watch it for any other reason, you'll be disappointed.

Lascivious Sloth posted:

You don't need to watch TNG to power through DS9. I saw all seasons of DS9 before TNG and there was nothing clashing or missed. I enjoyed DS9 more so than TNG as well. I tried getting into B5 but I watched the first 5 episodes or so and it is excruciatingly hard to watch. I hope it picks up in later seasons because I'm not getting the same feel from this as I did from DS9, which was hard to put down and stop watching.

Well, I like TNG, but I just can't stand holodeck episodes. Maybe I'll just skip it.

Zealous Abattoir posted:

My problem with The Wire is it seems the first half of a season is nothing but setting everything up for the latter half. I've watched three seasons so far, and it's always the same: I have to force myself to watch the first half (or at least the first few episodes), and then after that it's intriguing enough that I don't have to force myself anymore. I've been on the fourth season for months, and I just can't summon up the will to watch it.

Also, it seems like the characters are just there to move the story along. I don't really care about any of them, and for me to really enjoy a show I need to be able to connect with the characters.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 5, 2009

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

It's not hate, at least not on my part. I did mostly enjoy the show, I just didn't get into it like I usually do with shows I binge through. Only reason I can imagine is the majority of the characters being totally unlikable.

Actually, I was also wondering if they were intentionally written like that.
...were they?
I'm the same way, I may complain a lot but season 3 isn't as overly dramatic as season 2 was. Although most of the characters are tools the show has some decent writing and its paced well where I'm entertained by each episode in this season. I guess binging through season one where I liked all the characters and quickly see them become lovely people is kind of a kick in the balls. Not much humor now to it either which is also a downer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Well, what don't you like about it? What were you expecting? Most people tend to agree that the first few episodes are kind of slow. But, as the story is paced like a long novel, everything pans out in the end in such a way that going back to those very same episodes will be much more meaningful once you can pick up all the subtle clues and bits of foreshadowing. I understand that this style of storytelling is not going to be for everyone, though. There isn't going to be one scene, or one season, where everything "clicks." It's the steady progression from the first episode of season 1 all the way to the last episode of season 5 that makes people like it so much.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

- Can't understand what anyone is saying.
- Depressing and ugly
- boring

I watched 4 episodes of season 1 and gave up. After seeing the huge discussion thread I'm definitely planning on giving it another go from episode 1, but I get distracted and end up going through the West Wing, Rome, or Sports Night for the billionth time. I also started watching more lightweight stuff recently like Psych, Burn Notice, Top Gear, and when I sit down to watch something really dense like The Wire I just groan. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for a show like that at this time.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Nate RFB posted:

There isn't going to be one scene, or one season, where everything "clicks."

The Dee interrogation scene in the Season 1 finale comes close.

But yes, it's been said several times before that it's a very very slow paced show- especially in the beginning.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

- Depressing and ugly
- boring

Well to be fair Baltimore really is that depressing and ugly.

I couldn't get into the wire either though. It isn't that it's a bad show, it's that I always get 3-6 episodes into the first season before admitting that I'd really rather be watching something else, and then sort of never get around to watching any more of it.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

I believe David Simon once said that the reason The Wire's ratings are so terrible is because people turn it on and say "I just can't understand what this negro is saying - change the channel". He's right, and he's wrong. He's right in that sure, some people will tune out because it's a black guy being confusing. He's wrong in that, it's really loving hard to understand these people. Not only is there the level of slang, they don't really speak clearly. I seem to have no problem understanding every word, but I grew up in a fairly poor area so maybe my ears are accustomed to it. My wife, on the other hand, is constantly asking me "What the hell did he just say? Why do you like this show, it's in another language and there's no subtitles"

EDIT: Also - it's possible it's just for you. Not everyone's tastes are the same, and a lot of people don't give a poo poo if every critic has said it's the greatest show on American television in the last decade if not longer. However, it does have a very slow start, but also an amazing payoff - if you get to the end of Season 1 and you still hate it, then it's not for you. It's not something like B5 whose second season was so vastly superior to the first that you need to go through 2 seasons before calling it quits.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 6, 2009

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty

I had successfully avoided this show for half a decade. Then my sister gave my girlfriend and me seasons 1 and 2 over Thanksgiving weekend, and we watched both over the next weekend. We then got 3 and 4 and watched those last weekend. Damned if we didn't leave work today and immediately get season 5. We're watching right now.

This loving show.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

SirMonkeyButt posted:

I had successfully avoided this show for half a decade. Then my sister gave my girlfriend and me seasons 1 and 2 over Thanksgiving weekend, and we watched both over the next weekend. We then got 3 and 4 and watched those last weekend. Damned if we didn't leave work today and immediately get season 5. We're watching right now.

This loving show.

Enjoy it now- season 5 is the best season (or at least second best). Then season 6 comes along and somehow manages to be worse than Season 4 :smith:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Trophy Boner posted:

House is a pretty entertaining show if you watch it for House being crazy and funny. If you watch it for any other reason, you'll be disappointed.
I like watching House's interaction with other characters, especially Thirteen and Cuddy. It seems like House becomes an anchor for all the other characters' development. I haven't seen a huge amount of episodes, so take this with the grain of salt with which it's due, but what I've seen indicates that working with him makes his colleagues more nihilistic and cynical by exposure, especially Foreman. For some reason, the "negative" character development reminds me of Michael's arc through the first two Godfather movies. I'm not saying they're comparable in quality; just that they seem similar to me.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I like watching House's interaction with other characters, especially Thirteen and Cuddy. It seems like House becomes an anchor for all the other characters' development. I haven't seen a huge amount of episodes, so take this with the grain of salt with which it's due, but what I've seen indicates that working with him makes his colleagues more nihilistic and cynical by exposure, especially Foreman. For some reason, the "negative" character development reminds me of Michael's arc through the first two Godfather movies. I'm not saying they're comparable in quality; just that they seem similar to me.

What I said is mostly true for the most recent seasons. I like the characters, even the new ones, but if House being House isn't your main reason for watching the show, it's bound to disappoint.

Of course there are some pleasant surprises - the season 4 finale(s), for example.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

English is not even my first language and I could understand what people were saying. You just need to get used to it.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Or, you know, turn on the captions.

I understand it when people say that The Wire takes patience, but I loved the pace of The Wire, and I'm someone who lost patience with Six Feet Under and Lost. With The Wire, I always felt like the writers knew exactly what they were doing and no scene or storyline was filler. I can't say that about any other TV show I've watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

Rapsey posted:

English is not even my first language and I could understand what people were saying. You just need to get used to it.

Same. I'm Norwegian and I had no problems understanding what anyone was saying. On the other hand, watching Deadwood without subtitles was incredibly painful. vOv

I recently binged through Veronica Mars, and while the third season was basically low-point after low-point, the last couple of scenes in the finale left me wanting more.