Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I tend to think that's the mix, they're really good live even though they've only done like 4 shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I think that I just like every single kind of music with a horn part in it but I happen to feel that Third Wave Ska is the best kind.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dickeye posted:

See I don't get the love for second wave, or even third-wave that sounds like it. It all sounds the same to me, with a few exceptions, like the Toasters. But hey, to each his own.
You could make this criticism about any wave of ska.

I'll say this though. At worst, copycat second wave ska or traditional ska bands simply write uninspired music, and that's the worst you can say. Because to even be into that style of music usually means the band members did not just buy their first instruments yesterday. Even if I don't like one of these bands, I'm not going to turn them off if they start playing. It's why I enjoy the Pressure Drop Soundcast.

With third wave ska, "at worst" usually means "hi we're a high school band from new jersey called the Super Waffle Monkeys we don't practice or know any notes other than the dotted eighth but hey heres our off-key impersonation of less than jake". There are fuckin two thousand bands like this, probably 90% of which are in my state, and I want them all to go take a music theory class, or listen to some music outside of their genre, or get hosed. Any of the three.

Maybe it's just because I'm always in search of new music but the latter makes it torture.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Is it local band plug time? I believe it is! http://www.myspace.com/therobobuddies Right there, another ska/rock/something or other band.
What is it with these bands? I'd love to support them but there's no way for me to buy their music. Happens every time, seems like.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

guppy posted:

What is it with these bands? I'd love to support them but there's no way for me to buy their music. Happens every time, seems like.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's because to sell your music online it takes a certain amount of work and organization, and to a lot of smaller local bands like this it just isn't worth it. It looks like these guys have been together for about a year and probably only play local shows, so they don't have that much of a reason to get their music up on Itunes, or get their stuff sold through Interpunk or start up their own webstore just to sell 4 copies of their EP to random people that stumbled upon their music.

However I bet if you shoot them a message saying you want a copy of their EP they'll work out a way to send you one.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Josh Wow posted:

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's because to sell your music online it takes a certain amount of work and organization, and to a lot of smaller local bands like this it just isn't worth it. It looks like these guys have been together for about a year and probably only play local shows, so they don't have that much of a reason to get their music up on Itunes, or get their stuff sold through Interpunk or start up their own webstore just to sell 4 copies of their EP to random people that stumbled upon their music.

However I bet if you shoot them a message saying you want a copy of their EP they'll work out a way to send you one.
Yeah maybe I'll try that. Is it really that much effort to put up your stuff for sale on MySpace Music? I thought that was exactly what that service was supposed to fix.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Most of the bands I plug here, with the exception of like The Action and Endive, are local-only for now. Either it's because they're in college and only play when they're home, or if it's 4point0 it's because almost half the band is still in high school. Pretty sure they're doing an east coast tour this summer though once they get the album recorded.

I know someone in most of the little bands, friend of a friend and all that, I can always ask them to set up a mailing thing or get a copy for people or something.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 23, 2008

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I just finished editing a pretty crappy video montage of our recent Florida tour. Hopefully the next one will be better since now I know what kind of footage works best but you can check this one out anyway at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKIaskwa5vY

guppy posted:

Yeah maybe I'll try that. Is it really that much effort to put up your stuff for sale on MySpace Music? I thought that was exactly what that service was supposed to fix.

I dunno about putting stuff up on Myspace music, it might be pretty easy. Even if it wasn't much work though they probably just haven't thought that anybody that hasn't seen them live would really wanna buy their music, so they haven't gone through with it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Well that was an interesting show. Atomic Potato's drummer quit right before the tour, and nobody wanted to tour without a drummer but their singer/guitarist, so he put all the other parts on his ipod, BTMI style, and went on stage anyway.

He was still great, better than some of the bands I've seen.

Oh and the headliner, Razbari Sumthing doing a reunion show, was loving amazing. Just like wow.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Got this for Christmas:

http://www.joelleandres.com/skacalendar/ :iamafag:

A Boring Story
Mar 27, 2008

We're not going to Catalina, are we?

Obama Yo Mama posted:

For me it's: Do or Die > Sing Loud, Sing Proud / Blackout > The Meanest of Times > A Warrior's Code

You're forgetting their best album, The Gang's All Here.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
How can a guy with Goes To College for an avatar be so wrong?

Has anyone seen Forty Lashes? They're from Detroit, if that helps.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

For some reason I never discovered The Rudiments until last week. I am digging the hell out of Circle Our Empire, but from the little bit I've heard the rest of their albums are poo poo.

I kept catching songs on Last.fm and ended up buying the album, I haven't found anywhere you can listen online or I'd link something :( all of the songs on their MySpace are lovely

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

I loving love the Rudiments, although the only album I have of theirs is Circle Our Empire. Now I'm afraid to listen to anything else lest it not live up to awesome songs like The Doctor and Skactopus.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Skactopus is the best loving song

MarquisDeSodom
Dec 15, 2008
Anybody else going to see Streetlight Manifesto in San Diego tonight? I haven't seen them live yet, hoping for a good show.

Also Reel Big Fish is there but eeehhhhhhh.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guess who's going to go see Streetlight on the 31st in Rochester

This guy. Right here. How's it going?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

Guess who's going to go see Streetlight on the 31st in Rochester

This guy. Right here. How's it going?
Bastard. I miss Rochester. :(

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I have a ticket for the Streetlight/RBF show on the 20th at Roseland but I have a class and can't go :(

Well, I've seen RBF 6 times, and Streetlight 4 times so I guess it's not that big of a d....I WANT TO GO :cry:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The one benefit of being stuck in Syracuse till February.

Well that and 4point0 shows, which I'm going to tonight. Going to see if I can get any of the band to go with me to Streetlight

I'd really like for the ticket prices to go up but nothing, yet

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I have a ticket for the Streetlight/RBF show on the 20th at Roseland but I have a class and can't go :(

Well, I've seen RBF 6 times, and Streetlight 4 times so I guess it's not that big of a d....I WANT TO GO :cry:

I would seriously punch a baby to get that ticket and a ride down there.

gently caress you baby I want to see that show. Still, Swellers and Streetlight, with A Wilhelm Scream and The Stitch Up opening. Not bad.

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
Has anybody here seen Bomb the Music Industry? They've been booked for a show in Exeter towards the end of this month and I enjoy a lot of their stuff so I was wondering how they are live.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

demolition rickshaw posted:

Has anybody here seen Bomb the Music Industry? They've been booked for a show in Exeter towards the end of this month and I enjoy a lot of their stuff so I was wondering how they are live.

Absolutely ridiculous. I swear to god they double as a comedy act. They'll argue flat out on stage, and switch instruments while taking drinks from the beers they all brought on stage. Its great.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
BTMI is one of my absolute favorite bands to see lately. They play a ton of really random, last-minute shows in the Brooklyn area. Seeing them in a larger venue is fun, but they really shine when it's some cramped poo poo-hole. The last time I saw them was at a place called John Bosch in Brooklyn, which was basically a 15x15 bandspace already 1/3 filled with garage junk.

They argue, yell, invite people up, get piss drunk, and play in the dark. Seeing them play is like a choose-your-own adventure chock full of audience interaction.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
are The Drapes and Willie Psycho ska?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
So who's listened to the new Reel Big Fish yet? I find it amusing that they did Brown Eyed Girl, considering they've been credited with that ska version since the Kazaa days.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 4, 2009

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

TLG James posted:

So who's listened to the new Reel Big Fish yet? I find it amusing that they did Brown Eyed Girl, considering they've been credited with that ska version since the Kazaa days.

I had no idea it was out already. I was under the impression that it wasn't coming out until later in the month. I'm going to get it ASAP, I've been really excited to hear it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I had no idea it was out already. I was under the impression that it wasn't coming out until later in the month. I'm going to get it ASAP, I've been really excited to hear it.
It's not out but you can hear some at the site.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

guppy posted:

It's not out but you can hear some at the site.

I just got the whole thing and I'm listening to it now. Nothin' but a Good Time is pretty good so far.

e: Veronica Sawyer is okay but nowhere close to the original

e2: Brown Eyed Girl is probably the best version ever, it's got a nice reggae funk to it, but it's still faster and upbeat. I really like how they did it.

vvvv :ninja: I cannot reveal that information at this point in time :ninja:

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 4, 2009

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Obama Yo Mama posted:

I just got the whole thing and I'm listening to it now. Nothin' but a Good Time is pretty good so far.
Where did you get it? RBF's site says the 20th.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Although I generally cant stand ska, I found "kiss your rear end goodbye" by the Blue Meanies in a stack of my old LPs this week, and that album still rocks. Ive listened to it like 4 times since I dusted it off.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was pretty let down by the cover of Talk Dirty To Me. The Regatta 69 version is so much better.

The rest of it was pretty good though, Brown Eyed Girl is probably the highlight with Veronica Sawyer in second.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Dickeye posted:

I was pretty let down by the cover of Talk Dirty To Me. The Regatta 69 version is so much better.

I thought they took the song in an interesting direction and it wasn't bad, it just wasn't what I was expecting.

I was disappointed by it, but all in all it was pretty good.

e: Won't Back Down was one of my favorites. They did it pretty much exactly like I imagined.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 5, 2009

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
Why did they do another version of Monkey Man? Not that this one's bad, it's just that it's really not much different from the first one. Then again I love pretty much any version of that song.

Gotta agree with everyone about Brown Eyed Girl. I've got a bunch of different covers of it and RBF's has got to be the most enjoyable. I love what they did with Talk Dirty To Me too, but those are the only ones on the whole album that really stand out to me. It's a fun listen overall, but not as exciting as I think I pumped myself up for.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RBF really weirds me out. They think they sold out when they made Cheer Up, but all of their music now sounds like generic corporate-made music. Like, the kind made for car commercials and Six Flags. It's so boring and ordinary and every song has the same identical sound. There's like no effort whatsoever put into the songwriting.

Here's 2 chords.. a horn line to repeat over and over.. okay just throw in some guitar distortion whenever.. PERFECT. DONE.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Cheer Up is my second favorite album by them too (tied with Turn The Radio Off). Although I thought the album they were angry about was We're Not Happy... I wonder if I should see if I could talk my friend that lives in Nashville into taking off work so we can hang out and see the Streetlight/RBF show later this month. I really wanna see them both but I don't want to inconvenience the guy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No, they were mad about Cheer Up, it's the one where they thought people were going to ahte them for selling out, so Aaron started the Forces Of Evil just in case.

Post Cheer Up is alright, their last album was pretty bad though

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Oh ok, I thought their last album was ok but it's definitely their worst.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

the_Vandal posted:

Cheer Up is my second favorite album by them too (tied with Turn The Radio Off). Although I thought the album they were angry about was We're Not Happy... I wonder if I should see if I could talk my friend that lives in Nashville into taking off work so we can hang out and see the Streetlight/RBF show later this month. I really wanna see them both but I don't want to inconvenience the guy.

I thought We're Not Happy was pretty much made to get them out of their record contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Oddly enough, as I opened this thread, "Till I Hit The Ground" from "Monkeys for nothing..." came on during the Fiesta Bowl.