Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagina Wash
Jul 8, 2003

MMM LAWDY GETTUP
Testees on FX has recently become my pacifier since Mad Men, and Sunny are in limbo.

At it's core, it's good, brainless comedy with craploads of dick (and fart) jokes, but the characters are so well executed it's a joy to watch. The Japanese scientist is such a sadistic bastard, his delivery gets me every time.

Anybody else catch this lopsided (and probably dead soon) gem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
Extras. Ricky Gervais never fails to make me cringe.

Props to the Portland Library, where you get seasons of pretty much any show for free for 3 weeks at a time. Only downside is you have to wait in line for them. I have Deadwood, Mad Men, and The Wire on my list.

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!

MrCompson posted:

I recently binged through Veronica Mars, and while the third season was basically low-point after low-point, the last couple of scenes in the finale left me wanting more.

Thanks for this information. I've been waiting for someone to say something about season 3 of Veronica Mars to spark my interest again. I bought it probably a year ago, watched a couple of episodes and got bored. Now you've made me curious about the finale.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Trophy Boner posted:

(The Wire) Also, it seems like the characters are just there to move the story along.
Just gotta give this sentence more love for it's complete incorrectness.

The Wire gives the characters such attention it almost puts Dickens to shame, I'll accept that people would come out and complain about there not being a story, for you to go in the other direction, I'm seriously :psyduck:ing over here.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Vagina Wash posted:

Testees on FX has recently become my pacifier since Mad Men, and Sunny are in limbo.

At it's core, it's good, brainless comedy with craploads of dick (and fart) jokes, but the characters are so well executed it's a joy to watch. The Japanese scientist is such a sadistic bastard, his delivery gets me every time.

Anybody else catch this lopsided (and probably dead soon) gem?

One of the more unfunny shows on television. It's one joke- stretched over the course of series, with the joke slightly changing each episode. It disappoints me because A)It's from Kenny Hotz, and B)My friend did post-audio for it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've been bingeing through, god help me, CSI: Miami. I picked up the season 5 DVDs dirt cheap a couple of months ago just because I wanted something light and brainless that I could make fun of, and since then I've bought seasons 1-4 as well. (Also dirt cheap; I wouldn't pay anything approaching full price for them, I'm not that brain-addled.)

It's a terrible, awful, ridiculous show, but for some reason it's hooked me. No idea why; the only main character I even vaguely liked (Speedle) got killed off, and the other CSI shows don't appeal to me at all. Maybe it's purely for the comedy value of SuperHoratio and his Magical Power Posse breaking the laws of time and physics to crack every case in one working day.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

MrCompson posted:

watching Deadwood without subtitles was incredibly painful. vOv

How hard is it to understand "cocksucker"? :downsrim:

incredible bear posted:

Just gotta give this sentence more love for it's complete incorrectness.

The Wire gives the characters such attention it almost puts Dickens to shame, I'll accept that people would come out and complain about there not being a story, for you to go in the other direction, I'm seriously :psyduck:ing over here.

I see what you're saying, and you're right. I guess I just should've said that for some reason or another I just don't care about the characters or what happens to them all that much. Except Omar.

I've still enjoyed watching the show, just not nearly as much as everybody else it seems.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 6, 2009

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Watching complete seasons of shows through massive binges is by far my preferred method of attack in the modern day. Lately I've been watching Dr. Who Series 2 & 3. Before that it was The Office season 1.

Late to the party, me.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
Just finished up with Flight of the Conchords season 1.

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Extras. Ricky Gervais never fails to make me cringe.
Almost done with Extras. As much as I love The Office, I think this show is much funnier.

I'm planning on Freaks and Geeks next and then probably How I Met Your Mother. I only watched the first couple episodes when it came out and for whatever reason didn't watch anymore, but I know that if I just sat down with the DVDs I would love it.

NineInchRails
Dec 10, 2008

by The Finn
I finished True Blood very quickly and I've just started Lost Season 1 because I've never watched the show before.

I'm envious of people going through the Wire for the first time... that's so many hours of quality entertainment.

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!

ElScorcho posted:

I'm planning on Freaks and Geeks next and then probably How I Met Your Mother. I only watched the first couple episodes when it came out and for whatever reason didn't watch anymore, but I know that if I just sat down with the DVDs I would love it.

You've got a really awesome back-to-back combo going on there man! Freaks and Geeks is a really fun show, even more so now because you can try to spot all the people who went on the become much bigger stars. How I Met Your Mother is incredibly hilarious for a lot of reasons, but Barney is by far the greatest to me. His antics never cease to amaze and amuse the poo poo out of me.

Enjoy!

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Just finished watching 30 Rock seasons 1 and 2 for the second time. It was just as good if not better than the first time. Also watching Big Love season 2 for the first time- my heart burns with a hatred for Rhonda that's indescribable.

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video
I'm halfway done with Generation Kill, which has been awesome so far. Next up is How I Met Your Mother, which I know nothing about other than it has Alyson Hannigan and lots of goons seem to love it.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

NineInchRails posted:

I'm envious of people going through the Wire for the first time... that's so many hours of quality entertainment.

I can say the same thing to you about Lost... you've got some excellent television ahead of you.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Lost is one of those shows where I wish I could give myself amnesia just so I could watch it over again fresh.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I saw Band of Brothers for the first time and I watched the whole thing in two sittings, granted it's only 10 episodes or whatever but I'd still consider it the best series I've ever seen.

I also started watching X-Files. Love that show so far. I saw the second movie in theatres (opening night, my friend is an X-Files fanatic :(), and thought it was a pile of poo poo. But my friend convinced me to watch the show, which I'm pleased to say is very enjoyable. Mullder and Scully balance each other out and keeps the show grounded.

The very first show I binged through was Heroes, I rented seasons 1 and 2 and watched everything in 2 days. I never really heard anything about it before, but I thought people having special powers was awesome and I gave it a shot. My cat's name is Sylar now :buddy:. I've been thinking about starting something new like Lost but everyone who watches that show says it's a pile after seasons 1/2.

Jiminy Cricket
Feb 5, 2008

Flight Suit Up!
Binging through season 1 of Chuck right now. I decided to check it out after discussion about it in the HIMYM thread and i watched the first 8 episodes in one day. I've now decided to try and make it last a bit longer, maybe 1 episode a night...although i doubt i'll be able to, it really is very good.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
To anyone who likes Chuck, watch How I Met Your Mother, and vice versa. They're my two favourite shows (at least currently running shows, there's always Firefly), and I think they've got a little bit of the same kind of atmosphere. I've never heard of a person who loved one but didn't love the other after watching it.

slowfoot
Jun 19, 2005

Yeet posted:

I've been thinking about starting something new like Lost but everyone who watches that show says it's a pile after seasons 1/2.

Season 3 has a slow patch of lame episodes, but then picks up. And season 4 was awesome. You'll barely even notice if you're going through them quick.

Inspector Detector
Dec 13, 2008
INCAPABLE OF WRITING ANYTHING THAT ISN'T THE PLATONIC IDEAL OF "BEING A HOSTILE, SELF-IMPORTANT, OBNOXIOUS DICK"

Nobody likes you, so kindly fuck the hell off.
When House first aired i hated it but i started to watch it again a few weeks ago and now i cant stop. im on season 2 now and will be on season three as soon i can get the dvds.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Yeet posted:

I've been thinking about starting something new like Lost but everyone who watches that show says it's a pile after seasons 1/2.
To echo slowfoot, that opinion is wrong. Season 2 is a pretty big chore at time, Season 3 apparently started badly (a common opinion that I don't personally share), but from Season 3 Episode 7 through to the present, I'd say there's probably only been about 3 bad episodes (which won't weigh you down on DVD) and all the best episodes of the series have come from that point.

Though, as you're so late to the party, if you can watch something else, I'd do so. You may as well wait until the whole series is over and then make a start.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeet posted:

It has its ups and its downs (first half of season 3 was very slow, as someone said), but it's absolutely worth watching. Since you won't be having to wait weeks between episodes or be frustrated by a big chunk of commercials every 7 minutes ruining the pacing, you won't really have any problem I don't think. Especially since you managed to soldier through both seasons of Heroes. Lost's slow patch is nothing compared to Heroes season 2.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

ElScorcho posted:

Almost done with Extras. As much as I love The Office, I think this show is much funnier.

The finale is so very, very depressing.

Anyway, I watched the first two episodes of Deadwood and the first episode of The Wire. I have to say so far I would rather watch Deadwood.

badtitties v2.0
Feb 29, 2008
I've watched about 35 episodes of How I Met Your Mother in the past 4 days, and it's pretty drat good. It's just a sitcom, but the episodes are surprisingly funny and very quick/easy to watch. Definitely would recommend.

And for whoever said Lost was a "pile", I would have to whole-heartedly disagree. Great show, I've got all the DVD sets and watched each of them multiple times. One of my favorite shows, along with the Wire.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Yeet posted:

I think it gets better the farther you get into it. Like with any series, some seasons aren't as strong as the others, but with Lost, there's only a couple of worthless episodes, and even those usually build on something from a previous episode, or play into something that comes up later. If you're planning to watch the new season that's starting in 2 weeks, you'd best get crackin' at those previous seasons because if you try watching it without any clue as to what's going on, you'll be, er, lost.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Yeet posted:

It's not so much a "pile" but rather how different it becomes after season 2. Specifically it gets to become a little bit more "sci-fi" than "realistic drama." This became a turn-off for a lot of people who stopped watching.

Verdance
May 9, 2007
Tweak
Pushing Daisies. I know there's not much to catch up on, but I watched the whole first season yesterday.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Even though there are some rough patches in season 2 and 3 of Lost, all is redeemed in season 4, which I think almost every Lost fan agrees is far and away the best season so far. It's goddamn amazing from start to finish.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Trophy Boner posted:

Even though there are some rough patches in season 2 and 3 of Lost, all is redeemed in season 4, which I think almost every Lost fan agrees is far and away the best season so far. It's goddamn amazing from start to finish.
Apart from that goddamn Kate episode :argh:

Who didn't know the ending of that 10 minutes in? Anyone?

And it wasn't even a "We know the ending but it's how we get there" kind of storyline.

Madama Butterfly
Apr 6, 2005

All who dare to cross her course are swallowed by her fearsome force!
Over the winter break, I watched all of season 3 of Dexter in 3 days, and then all of True Blood over a weekend.

Just waiting for some other series to grab my interest.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I'm trying to get through Season 6 of 24 and then I'm going to try and watch Redemption before Season 7 starts Sunday.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Anyway, I watched the first two episodes of Deadwood and the first episode of The Wire. I have to say so far I would rather watch Deadwood.

The problem you're probably having with the wire is that it starts off as if it were in the middle of the 3rd season or something. There really isn't any introduction to the characters or explanation, and it's a little hard to tell whats going on. You really ought to watch the first 4-6 episodes before everything sinks in.

I recently went and watched the first episode again after finishing the series whenever it ended last year. Now that I knew who everyone was, ever scene was completely clear. It was a lot of fun seeing every single minor character in that first episode and knowing they all ended up playing important parts later on.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

CaptainHollywood posted:

Specifically it gets to become a little bit more "sci-fi" than "realistic drama." This became a turn-off for a lot of people who stopped watching.

I'm a bit surprised to read this, since I don't think a polar bear out of nowhere and a smoke monster belong anywhere near a "realistic drama". I'm fairly certain both of those happened in season 1.

Having said that, I love Lost, but it's nowhere near as good as The Wire. Then again, nothing is.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

Madama Butterfly posted:

Over the winter break, I watched all of season 3 of Dexter in 3 days.

May I ask, how is Dexter season 3 all in one go? I know a lot of us were disappointed with it as a weekly experience (I personally didn't mind it much), but I have only seen the other two seasons in one go.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

I only just got into Dexter during Season 3 so I watched Season 1 & 2 over the holidays.

Now I can't wait for Season 4, ugh so far away.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

May I ask, how is Dexter season 3 all in one go? I know a lot of us were disappointed with it as a weekly experience (I personally didn't mind it much), but I have only seen the other two seasons in one go.
Seconding the question. Loved season 2, and 1 was great all in all. First few episodes of 3 hasn't managed to grab me in any way, since there's no real sense of impending conflict or escalating danger.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

MrCompson posted:

Same. I'm Norwegian and I had no problems understanding what anyone was saying. On the other hand, watching Deadwood without subtitles was incredibly painful. vOv

I recently binged through Veronica Mars, and while the third season was basically low-point after low-point, the last couple of scenes in the finale left me wanting more.

Yeah same here. never had a problem understanding people in the wire. And I thought it was fantastic that something so realistic/harsh is possible in a tv show.
I guess you have to accept the fact that the wire is made differently from most other shows, and that it doesn't use the standard formulas, to be able to enjoy it.
To answer the OP,
after madmen I really don't see any good new shows worth watching at the moment(correct me if I'm wrong).
I watched all the episodes of Huff recently, I had never seen anything of it while it aired, and I thought it was really good.
waiting for new sason of breaking bad, the mighty boosh, top gear, etc

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

MI-5/Spooks. Ever since I got netflix and realized they had the first 4 seasons available for streaming to my xbox I can't stop watching them.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Working on Six Feet Under right now. I just finished the first season and I'm 1 episode into the second. I like Nate, Dave, Claire, Frederico and most of the people, but I can't freaking stand Brenda and I'm confused why Nate even likes her in the first place or puts up with any of her crazy poo poo.

From reading the other comments so far in this thread, I guess I'm in for even more unlikeability in the future, but I shall soldier on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
Season 3 of Dexter in one go was pretty entertaining. Not as good as season 1 and 2, but personally, I couldnt torn myself away from it.