Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

golden_appel posted:

This is on 9.63 that I installed a few days ago, with no previous versions ever having been on this PC. Any suggestions for alternative methods of ad-blocking, preferably something like the Ad-Block extension for FF that has a sensible starting list with the ability to whitelist certain sites/pages.

You can probobly google a starting list and you can enable content blockgin on per-site basis. Right click -> Edit site preferences -> Content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

Wheany posted:

You can probobly google a starting list and you can enable content blockgin on per-site basis. Right click -> Edit site preferences -> Content

I think this would leave me with the same problem, that whenever I access a page that has blocked content the page never seems to finish loading. It displays OK but the progress bar never closes and memory usage creeps up and up.

In the meantime, I just removed the blocklist because I'm finding that Opera WITH ads is still a hell of a lot quicker than Firefox WITHOUT ads (and much nicer to use too).

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

golden_appel posted:

I think this would leave me with the same problem, that whenever I access a page that has blocked content the page never seems to finish loading. It displays OK but the progress bar never closes and memory usage creeps up and up.

In the meantime, I just removed the blocklist because I'm finding that Opera WITH ads is still a hell of a lot quicker than Firefox WITHOUT ads (and much nicer to use too).

That's an odd problem, and not one I'm experiencing.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

Casao posted:

That's an odd problem, and not one I'm experiencing.

I'm experiencing it. Sometimes, when I click a link, nothing happens until i gesture up or hit stop, then the page I requested starts loading. It's an odd error, and I'll have to submit a bug report when I get home. I'm using the urlfilter.ini entries from http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/ . A couple people on the Opera forums have noticed it too, but for the life of me I can't find the drat posts anymore. :(

Though I've never seen memory usage creep... like he's experiencing

in fact, it seems to be specifically: pixel.quantserve.com

I've added an entry to the hosts file but it doesn't seem to help. Also adding it to urlfilter doesn't seem to work either. Hrmph.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 5, 2009

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
New version of Opera 10.0 out - presumably the beta version.

The downloader doesn't work, though. :smith:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Zuffox posted:

The one built into Opera? Just brought me up to build 1219 just fine.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Dangit. Do you know, where the download is stored on the computer? The Opera homepage doesn't seem to be updated with the new version.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Zuffox posted:

New version of Opera 10.0 out - presumably the beta version.

I got the update notification, but it freaked out about 9.5 still being installed and said I would have to do it manually.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Zuffox posted:

Dangit. Do you know, where the download is stored on the computer? The Opera homepage doesn't seem to be updated with the new version.

Unfortunately, I don't. Also, my update worked from going from the last alpha version to the new one, in case that makes a difference.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Casao posted:

I got the update notification, but it freaked out about 9.5 still being installed and said I would have to do it manually.
That's the one, yes. I don't have any other version of Opera installed, so I'm at a bit of a halt.

Cedra
Jul 23, 2007
Is there a way to make use of the space that the File bar has, I looked at Arcticthunder's screens and see he's removed it entirely. I'd just like to customize it myself, since I'm at 1280x800 and it feels kinda cramped compared to my Classic Compact FF setup, where everything except is on 3 lines (NAvigation and Addr bar alongside the File bar, Tabs and personal bookmark hotbar by themselves).

Anyone found any decent slim skins for Opera as well? I'm sporting Emil and that's the thinnest I can get while looking aesthetically pleasing.

Cedra fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 6, 2009

CT2049
Jul 24, 2007
I guess a skew off the skins question, is there a way to make the file/edit/view/etc.. bar to disappear like you can in IE7? I almost never use it and it would be nice if I could make it auto hide.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Cedra posted:

Is there a way to make use of the space that the File bar has, I looked at Arcticthunder's screens and see he's removed it entirely. I'd just like to customize it myself, since I'm at 1280x800 and it feels kinda cramped compared to my Classic Compact FF setup, where everything except is on 3 lines (NAvigation and Addr bar alongside the File bar, Tabs and personal bookmark hotbar by themselves).

You can drag any icon onto any bar you want under "Customize", you know. Go to "Buttons", pick and choose whatever you like, put it on any bar you have visible.

Also I was going to recommend a skin but it seems like Emil is a bit slimmer, so it's not much use. Sorry.

Cedra
Jul 23, 2007

Syrg posted:

You can drag any icon onto any bar you want under "Customize", you know. Go to "Buttons", pick and choose whatever you like, put it on any bar you have visible.

Also I was going to recommend a skin but it seems like Emil is a bit slimmer, so it's not much use. Sorry.

I'm talking about the File toolbar

This bar seems to be exempt from any Customization option whatsoever.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://operawiki.info/CustomButtons#menu

You're right; you can't customize it. However, you can kill it and recreate it to a fairly large degree as part of another bar via some hacky custom buttons. Their behavior as "menus" isn't perfect when finished, but it works okay if you rarely use them.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Lakitu7 posted:

You're right; you can't customize it. However, you can kill it and recreate it to a fairly large degree as part of another bar via some hacky custom buttons. Their behavior as "menus" isn't perfect when finished, but it works okay if you rarely use them.

Hell, if there were a Feeds panel, I wouldn't need to use the toolbar at all.

Edit: VVVVVVVVVVVVV
Doesn't look like it lets you add it to the side panel, and there's not much point in getting rid of the toolbar if I'm just going to be moving a dropdown menu from one place to another.

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 7, 2009

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Well, you could use that link above to put the feeds menu on whatever other toolbar in button form if you like.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Sweet, I've been looking for this, thanks!

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Wow this is useful. Just when I thought Opera couldn't suit my needs any more perfectly...

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Dude I just accidentally found out that if you hold left-click on the menu button, it'll give you context menu instead of making the normal menu visible.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Is there any way of changing Opera's native landing page for RSS feeds? For RSSs, I'd prefer to save them to Google Reader, and for podcasts I'd like to to at least be able to download the podcast links.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Zuffox posted:

Is there any way of changing Opera's native landing page for RSS feeds? For RSSs, I'd prefer to save them to Google Reader, and for podcasts I'd like to to at least be able to download the podcast links.
I doubt it. I think Opera looks at the XML header and not the MIME type of the page.

But what you could try is:
Ceate a new handler (Settings->Advanced->Programs) for MIME type "application/rss+xml" and associate it with the program 'http://reader.google.com/subscribe/whateverthefuck?url='

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

xlevus posted:

I doubt it. I think Opera looks at the XML header and not the MIME type of the page.

But what you could try is:
Ceate a new handler (Settings->Advanced->Programs) for MIME type "application/rss+xml" and associate it with the program 'http://reader.google.com/subscribe/whateverthefuck?url='
Thanks. Can't get it to work - maybe I'm doing something wrong.

The link seems to be "http://www.google.com/reader/view/feed/<feed url>". I've tried inserting it in various creative ways, but it doesn't seem to take priority over Opera's native handler.

Protocol: application/rss+xml
Program: ?

How would you go about it?

cnrkb fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 8, 2009

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Oh sorry, my bad. I meant Downloads.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

xlevus posted:

Oh sorry, my bad. I meant Downloads.
No dice.

I find it odd that they force this feature upon people.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Zuffox posted:

No dice.

I find it odd that they force this feature upon people.

I prefer the new behavior. Formerly it used to show the raw xml and pop up a dialog that asked if you wanted to subscribe to the feed. Now it only shows the preview, and you can copy the feed url from the address bar.

I admit that just having a "copy feed address" in the feed icon would be better, but I can live with the current behavior.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
anyone having problems loading gmail in the latest build? 9.6x doesn't work at all for me, I have to use 9.5beta to get onto gmail

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I'm on 9.63 and it just worked fine. Tweak any settings lately?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Syrg posted:

I'm on 9.63 and it just worked fine. Tweak any settings lately?

hm nope. actually it hasn't worked for the last several builds. driving me nuts having two opera icons on my bar (one for 9.5b and one for whatever the current build is). it hangs on the "loading" bar, about 90% completion

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

thrawn86 posted:

hm nope. actually it hasn't worked for the last several builds. driving me nuts having two opera icons on my bar (one for 9.5b and one for whatever the current build is). it hangs on the "loading" bar, about 90% completion

It does the same thing if I Identify as IE. Changing it to Identify as Opera makes it work for me. Maybe check that?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

NashAsh posted:

It does the same thing if I Identify as IE. Changing it to Identify as Opera makes it work for me. Maybe check that?

bingo, thanks

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
For when you highlight some text, and go to "Search With...", is it possible to set this to open up a new tab, instead of using the active tab? I've checked around in the settings, and I didn't see anything.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anunnaki posted:

For when you highlight some text, and go to "Search With...", is it possible to set this to open up a new tab, instead of using the active tab? I've checked around in the settings, and I didn't see anything.

Hold shift while clicking the name of the search engine to open it in a new tab - works just about anywhere.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

A few days ago the power in my apartment had a blip and I lost power to everything. But now I have a rather major problem with Opera.

It locks up for short period of times, and rather often. I've emptied the cache, emptied the URL history, deleted my windows swap file but I get the same thing.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be the cause of this? As far as I can tell its Opera specific and wasn't a problem before the power blip. OS is Vista 64.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

xlevus posted:

A few days ago the power in my apartment had a blip and I lost power to everything. But now I have a rather major problem with Opera.

It locks up for short period of times, and rather often. I've emptied the cache, emptied the URL history, deleted my windows swap file but I get the same thing.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be the cause of this? As far as I can tell its Opera specific and wasn't a problem before the power blip. OS is Vista 64.

Try uninstalling Opera, then go to "C:\User\<username here>\AppData\Roaming\" and delete "Opera" (note that "AppData" is a hidden folder). Then reinstall.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Anunnaki posted:

Try uninstalling Opera, then go to "C:\User\<username here>\AppData\Roaming\" and delete "Opera" (note that "AppData" is a hidden folder). Then reinstall.
gently caress I hate doing this. Takes loving forever to get settings back to normal :(

*bites bullet*

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

Then don't delete it, just rename the folder.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.

Anunnaki posted:

prefs > advanced > tabs > uncheck "reuse current tab"

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/01/13/new-year-snapshot

New Weekly is up. The changelist isn't huge or exciting, but when the lsat "Alpha" was already so stable, what else could you want? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
I've never noticed Opera being anything but fast. It never ceases to amaze me when I get home from "FIREFOX ONLY ITS MORE SECURE" work and load up Opera. The amount of work i could get done using Opera at work vs. Firefox w/ no extensions may be staggering, but at least I'll still have my (crappy) job as long as the workload keeps piling up!