Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I just burned through all of Veronica Mars. I really wish I had taken my time...I miss it :(

Now, on to Mad Men...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residentearth
Jun 19, 2002

dear die hard, you rock. ps do you know mad max?
I picked up all 9 seasons of the X-Files over the summer (they were on sale for $20 a piece), so I've been watching them off and on. I'm now on season 4. I even picked up the first movie for cheap and plan to watch it soon. I was such a fan of this show in high school, yet I've never seen them all.

Also, a buddy got me The Critic on DVD and I've been watching them as well.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CaptainHollywood posted:

Enjoy it now- season 5 is the best season (or at least second best). Then season 6 comes along and somehow manages to be worse than Season 4 :smith:

Season 4 was only so bad because the first 5 or 6 hours or so were loving outstanding.

Then Driscoll's oval office daughter shows up and BAM....ruined.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008
I know you can't really bing through a bbc 5 episode series but dead set is awesome if you like zombies, I wish it was 13 episodes

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
To contribute, I'm currently taking part in something called The Great Doctor Who Nap Year Marathon, which involves watching all 30 seasons of the show between November last year and March next year. We're still only in season 3.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I've been watching Andy Richter Controls the Universe

God Paget Brewster is awesome.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I've run through about 60 episodes of How I Met Your Mother in the last 5 days. It's been a long, arduous, and legendary slog.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Finished the first season of Stargate Atlantis this morning and I was really impressed. Like SG-1 I also never skip through the opening/closing credits. I don't know why I do this. Maybe it's because I really like the music or something but it's the only series I do this with.

Peeking at the extras for season 2 I see that Gary Jones is in a few commentaries. gently caress. Yes.

This afternoon I'm going to rip through BSG 4.0 to get pumped up for the new season. Hopefully next week I'll have time for the commentaries. Please tell me "Mrs. Ron" isn't in any of them. :(

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

To contribute, I'm currently taking part in something called The Great Doctor Who Nap Year Marathon, which involves watching all 30 seasons of the show between November last year and March next year. We're still only in season 3.

I was under the impression that the vast majority of these episodes were impossible to find due to being destroyed in some kind of accident. Hell, I'd love to get some Tom Baker/John Pertwee (?) action if I could. I remember being 13 and tuning my TV to barely visible WNJN to catch 1 episode every Saturday night.

Akbar posted:

legendary slog.

One does not "slog" through "How I Met Your Mother". One basks in it's unquestionable glory.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jan 9, 2009

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I just powered through Firefly over, literally, the past 24 hours on Hulu, start to finish. Even as someone who never watches TV (and on top of that, normally completely despises Sci-fi), I was completely blown away, and am now sitting at my PC in that abject sense of despair one gets when they realize there will never be more. I think I may have to keep avoiding good TV just because I get so sad when it ends.

I'll probably go out and buy the DVDs to show support even though I know the idea of what happened to Family Guy happening again is nothing more than a pipe dream.

That being said, what are some shows I should look into for a similar experience? Not necessarily Sci-Fi, as I liked the show despite that aspect more than because of it... it was probably the western feel that did it for me more than anything. Well, aside from the great characters. And pretty much everything else. :smithicide:

EDIT: I guess I should add that I'm going to get the film version very soon, so no need to throw that one out there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you like Firefly then you might like Whedon's other two shows, Buffy and Angel.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jedi posted:

I was under the impression that the vast majority of these episodes were impossible to find due to being destroyed in some kind of accident. Hell, I'd love to get some Tom Baker/John Pertwee (?) action if I could. I remember being 13 and tuning my TV to barely visible WNJN to catch 1 episode every Saturday night.

108 episodes from the '60s are lost, but all of them from the '70s and newer do exist. It wasn't really an accident, more like an oversight. Two separate archive departments each decided they could junk reels and reuse video tapes because they assumed the other would be keeping them.

Fan recordings of the audio still exist for all episodes, though, so even the lost ones can be watched with still photographs and so on.

Mu Zeta posted:

If you like Firefly then you might like Whedon's other two shows, Buffy and Angel.

"Might" is the correct word.

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG
Recently watched Entourage S2 (and I just ordered S3 part 1 - I'm hooked) and The Drew Carey Show S1, which holds up pretty well.

Madama Butterfly
Apr 6, 2005

All who dare to cross her course are swallowed by her fearsome force!

Mitthrawnuruodo posted:

May I ask, how is Dexter season 3 all in one go? I know a lot of us were disappointed with it as a weekly experience (I personally didn't mind it much), but I have only seen the other two seasons in one go.

It was really good. I hate waiting a week to stress out over Dexter plot points (which usually consist of "oh poo poo, is he finally going to get caught?"), so watching it all in one weekend was pretty cool.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Patrovsky posted:

I've been watching Andy Richter Controls the Universe

God Paget Brewster is awesome.

Where did you find this?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

habanero walrus posted:

I just powered through Firefly over, literally, the past 24 hours on Hulu, start to finish. Even as someone who never watches TV (and on top of that, normally completely despises Sci-fi), I was completely blown away, and am now sitting at my PC in that abject sense of despair one gets when they realize there will never be more. I think I may have to keep avoiding good TV just because I get so sad when it ends.

I'll probably go out and buy the DVDs to show support even though I know the idea of what happened to Family Guy happening again is nothing more than a pipe dream.

That being said, what are some shows I should look into for a similar experience? Not necessarily Sci-Fi, as I liked the show despite that aspect more than because of it... it was probably the western feel that did it for me more than anything. Well, aside from the great characters. And pretty much everything else. :smithicide:

EDIT: I guess I should add that I'm going to get the film version very soon, so no need to throw that one out there.
One of the reasons I didn't take a particular liking to Firefly, is that it is essentially the Buffyverse/Whedon-esque essence condensed into about a season. Humour, character archetypes, I AM SAD AND ALONE angst, and so forth. Angel is a Buffy spin-off, but, to me, is much better than Buffy as it seems like it has a better budget and overall production value. Buffy can be great, but depending on the season, the pacing might be off, and a lot of the episodes may feel subpar. This is particularly evident in the last seasons, where a lot of the episodes seem to suck somewhat, even though the season might have some of the funniest episodes in the entire series.

Also, David Greenwalt and Ben Edlund (The Tick creator at bloody age 18) should probably take as much credit as Whedon - perhaps Edlund moreso - judging by how the episodes without their involvement tend to underperform. Edlund was also involved in Firefly and Dr. Horrible, and from what I recall, he's the one who came up with Bad Horse. And the puppet episode of Angel. Greenwalt did Eureka, which, while reminiscent of the Buffyverse series, practically had no plot, and began to fade into blandness. Together, the three make great material.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Wezzo posted:

Recently watched Entourage S2 (and I just ordered S3 part 1 - I'm hooked) and The Drew Carey Show S1, which holds up pretty well.

I always really enjoyed The Drew Carey show (although I stopped watching it at the end).

I'm just about caught up on Supernatural. This show is awesome, I love it. The soundtrack is the best.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I really need to sit down and watch Angel from start to finish. I've seen little bits and pieces (and unfortunately almost all of the end episodes) and liked what I saw.

I agree with it being better than Buffy. I've liked Buffy since watching it when it first aired, but there's a lot of high school drama that doesn't appeal to me now that I'm not in high school. It gets much darker and more mature in later seasons, but Angel starts off that way. Plus demons are way cooler than vampires.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
I am starting to alternate Six Feet Under and Babylon 5.

I am up to the 5th episode of B5, and despite all the awesome reviews here that made me start watching it in the first place - drat it starts off slow and clunky!

Do the later seasons have a bit better acting and direction and higher budget? The first season is reminding me of S1 Buffy a little bit. People sort of stand around without direction, the acting is pretty bad (especially the psychic lady) and it is trying very hard to be earnest, but coming off a bit like an 80's show. I assume it gets better and it's worth watching the first season?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
The acting gets better. I don't think the budget does. It is well worth the patience though.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Trophy Boner posted:

I really need to sit down and watch Angel from start to finish. I've seen little bits and pieces (and unfortunately almost all of the end episodes) and liked what I saw.

I agree with it being better than Buffy. I've liked Buffy since watching it when it first aired, but there's a lot of high school drama that doesn't appeal to me now that I'm not in high school. It gets much darker and more mature in later seasons, but Angel starts off that way. Plus demons are way cooler than vampires.

I disagree that Angel is better than Buffy. Angel is basically the story of all the people from Buffy that I didn't really care about (Cordelia, Angel, Darla, etc.). It's pretty good, but Buffy is better. And I would trade every episode of both series for more Firefly.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
I cranked through all of The West Wing in about a month and a half and it's easily my favorite TV series ever now.

After that I got through all of Arrested Development in about four days. Easily my second-favorite TV series ever now.

I don't know what to watch next, any suggestions? I'm thinking Freaks and Geeks or Dead Like Me.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Angiepants posted:

I cranked through all of The West Wing in about a month and a half and it's easily my favorite TV series ever now.

After that I got through all of Arrested Development in about four days. Easily my second-favorite TV series ever now.

I don't know what to watch next, any suggestions? I'm thinking Freaks and Geeks or Dead Like Me.

Both are excellent choices, but I'm siding with Freaks and Geeks. Plus, afterward, you catch watch Undeclared.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Ishamael posted:

I disagree that Angel is better than Buffy. Angel is basically the story of all the people from Buffy that I didn't really care about (Cordelia, Angel, Darla, etc.). It's pretty good, but Buffy is better. And I would trade every episode of both series for more Firefly.

Well, I like all the other characters in Angel personally. Angel himself is a decent enough character and I couldn't give a crap less about Cordelia, I just like Lorne, Doyle, Fred*, Wes, Gunn, etc. I think they did do a good job of making Angel and Cordy more interesting and mature though.

*especially Fred :3:

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.

The Human Cow posted:

Both are excellent choices, but I'm siding with Freaks and Geeks. Plus, afterward, you catch watch Undeclared.

I haven't actually watched Freaks and Geeks yet, but I have seen Undeclared. My sister has seen both and she says that Undeclared is the weaker show, so I would recommend watching Undeclared first and then watch Freaks and Geeks. That's what I'm doing and I hope Freaks and Geeks is as good as I've been hearing.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Angiepants posted:

It's so much better a second time. When you're done with Freaks and Geeks, follow suit with the rest of us and watch The Wire.

Lifetime77
May 20, 2007

Hello Bastards.

DoggPickle posted:

I am starting to alternate Six Feet Under and Babylon 5.

six feet under is easily one of the top 3 shows ever on television. If you watch the entire series from start to finish and don't shed a tear during the last few episodes you are not human.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just finished up Peep Show which was fantastic, and hopefully the new series is coming out soon. I also just got through The Mighty Boosh which was so bizarre and surreal that I wouldn't even know how to begin to describe it to someone (though series 2 and 3 are slightly more amazingly weird than 1).

Both very highly recommended. If anyone has any similar suggestions similar to either of them I'd love to hear them.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 10, 2009

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm finishing 30 Rock Season 2 right now, then burning through the season 3 eps since they're clogging my DVR right now.

After that I'm starting the logjam of sets I got for Christmas including Rescue Me Seasons 1-4, Burn Notice and all six seasons of OZ

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

feedmyleg posted:

I just finished up Peep Show which was fantastic, and hopefully the new series is coming out soon. I also just got through The Mighty Boosh which was so bizarre and surreal that I wouldn't even know how to begin to describe it to someone (though series 2 and 3 are slightly more amazingly weird than 1).

Both very highly recommended. If anyone has any similar suggestions similar to either of them I'd love to hear them.
The mighty boosh is easily one of my favourite shows of all time.
If you like bizarre comedy you just have to see this show. It's unlike anything else you've ever seen.
I went to london recently pretty much only to see their new live show (I'm from belgium), and it was totally worth it.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

feedmyleg posted:

Have to heartily second Peep Show, that is one of my favourite shows ever made, and I'm about to order series' 1-5 on dvd (18 pounds on Amazon!!).

Mighty Boosh is also really good, though I have to admit I'm finding it's getting a bit stale recently - bit too self-indulgent and inward (for instance, I think every episode of series 3 re-uses an old running gag or character in some way, vs. the first two which did a lot of things different from one another). But it's all still worth watching, and their live dvd is really quite something.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I just finished Six Feet Under. The end got the biggest emotional reaction from me of anything I've ever watched. Holy poo poo what a great show.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Scissorfighter posted:

I just finished Six Feet Under. The end got the biggest emotional reaction from me of anything I've ever watched. Holy poo poo what a great show.
The finale is just insanely intense. It almost made me man-cry.

And I haven't even watched the entire series.

Sia's Breathe Me is also great.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I just finished watching The Wire, and now I'm starting up with The Shield.

Fermata Forever
Feb 3, 2005
Child prostitution isn't so bad if the child is okay with it, guys
I recently finished watching Seasons 1-3 of The Wire for the third time, and it's just as good as it ever was. I'm gonna take a break before watching Season 4, since it was probably the best season in all of television history, and I don't want to get through it in a Wire-tired state.

I've gone back to Weeds after that, and am slogging my way through Season 4. I must say, Nancy is just about the worst drug dealer I've ever seen on television. She shoulda been dead like 5 times over.

Also, her stated rationale for dealing drugs is to maintain her kids' lifestyle, but what kind of mother has this math going on in her head: Pool + big house + constant threat of death/arrest + lack of motherly attention > modest house + safe/attentive environment ?

I guess we've been given hints that she just hates having a boring life, but drat if that don't make her one of the worst moms on TV, too ("Mommy needs to get her rocks off by dealing with violent drug dealers and being their mule and/or gently caress-buddy, you go upstairs and jack off or something, ok, kiddo?").

NineInchRails
Dec 10, 2008

by The Finn
Ok I just raced through season 1 of Lost... it was drat entertaining. Now eagerly trying to acquire the rest of the seasons. I might just be able to catch up before the new one starts on TV.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm re-watching the first season of Damages. I saw the first ep of season 2 and realized I forgot a lot about what happened so I want a refresher.

Jason Funk
Dec 23, 2007

by XyloJW
It might out of place, but I've been watching Extreme Ghostbusters alot lately. Yeah.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe
I just powerhoused through Big Love, just in time for season 3.

I started Arrested Development because I'm 3 years behind everyone else and have no idea how I completely missed a show this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
Starting Mad Men tonight with my roommates, I'm so excited!