Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

On Unicornback posted:

I really loving love your furniture and space. You built those nesting tables? They look great. I can't wait to own when I finally settle on a city permanently and can really get into what furniture I choose.

Thanks man. My laminated tables are actually still being built under license but the nesting table isn't in the catalog (made two total, neither sold so I disassembled one and kept one).

Don't be afraid to start getting/building nice stuff before you settle. You can start small just picking some key pieces to keep and the rest cheap and minimalist. Adding history to something is always cool too. No one should outfit a room from 0 to done in a month once they've "arrived".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Thanks Blooot! I have to say I followed a lot of what you've made and posted on SA and around the time I started reading it I began going back to school and switching majors to Industrial Design (@ UIC). I definitely appreciate the home built/fab and design process writeups. I just moved a ton of poo poo around in my apartment and while none of it is very matching nor nice, its finally approaching something I'm proud of.

Forewarning: Pictures are dim as the ceiling light isn't on. Camera is just set to auto and many of the bulbs are different, hence yellow/orange/etc pictures.

Looking out front windows. Ikea Expedit 5x5 record shelf. Couch and lefthand chair are a set, Danish teak mid century. Its been reupholstered, dunno if foam is original. Pillows and curtains by girlfriend, shelves by me. The two coffee tables (third in picture #3) are hers of a set. Projector is above this shelf ceiling mounted. DVD & VHS player hidden on top of said record shelf.

Projected image fits between the Cure poster and that lefthand photo (Chrissy Piper), fits just above the lamp. Not the best light blocking but we don't care and the projector was free (its a POS). That's on the list of upgrades in the future. Ikea 3x3 record shelves (don't think they're in the Expedit line), Ikea entertainment center, Ikea wood magazine holders. Lamps are girlfriends. Cutesy vintage fabric cat chaise lounge on floor (don't make that face I love my cat).

The gear..
Toshiba SR-A100 belt drive w/ Grado green
homebuilt speakers
Yamaha CDX-530 cd player
Kenwood KX-W8050 dual cassette deck
Denon AVR-2600 receiver

The tower of babel. It was a weekend project to build a one-sheet (4'x8' birch cab-grade ply) CD shelf for my girlfriend, her idea to add a magazine rack. Cabinet grade was vast overkill but being a one sheet project I wanted it to look nice on the outside so.. lesson learned. Leans maybe an inch to the left but its bolted to the wall. The missing 3rd coffee table is sulking under the CD shelf as my gf's computer table. I'm trying to convince her to let me find a slim desk to fit under the CD shelf because I built it to fit 99% of desk heights...

The messy office (tm). Craigslist for the desk, its ugly as sin but the compartments and size (and 50$ price) was right. Yamaha RX530 receiver & Sony SS-TS300 speakers taken from my folks when they redid their house, as well as the Polk speakers in the next picture. I use a DVI->VGA adapter to run VGA to the projector and regular audio out across the room (ugly, sorry) to the (living room's) receiver's AUX for movies/music. Its a bunch of ugly cables on the floor but plaster & lathe walls suck to work with. There is an attempt at cable management and nothing touches the floor..

Ikea table/chairs and enormous window to look down onto local Chicago neighborhood. Reupholstered by GF with vintage fabric. Don't have storage solution for the 15 7" record boxes, practice amp, guitar or Polk speakers. Feeling inclined to paint this room and as luck would have it there's already three/four coats of Killz white primer on the walls I put on before I lost interest (it IS white when this room's ceiling light is on). Thinking of a sunflower-esque yellow but it might be too much, might just paint from the chair-rail level area to ceiling that color, or a red. Red might be WAY too much though.

Moving is such a mentally taxing thought I won't even go into it. I moved everything in here myself with a dying (now dead) 1992 Camry with the exception of renting a truck locally for one day for the obscenely large stuff. I think what I need to work on is getting into wireless streaming onto an htpc..

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 3, 2009

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Looks cosy! Love the teak pieces. We're looking to move to a smaller space (trading sq ft for a better neighborhood), so it'll be interesting to see what my stuff looks like in apartment closer to your size than mine. Mostly concerned about my 72"x32" dining table, but i built it so you could make it 2/3rds width (basically becoming a bar) if the space dictates.

Glad to have helped back in the day. Now that I have a more normal job I don't have as much time to build and document, but I still get some stuff done, the most recent (table, chandelier/mobile) was posted in the Post Your Projects Megathread in the DIY forum.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Next real move I want to weigh options of actually buying a place. Most likely not happen but I would literally kill somebody to be able to build an actual wall specifically for record storage and never have to worry about moving it, as well as be able to run cabling through walls so I can have all the speakers in my place play the same thing. I adapt well to any apartment as I can toss the stuff I get (all ikea stuff is bought on craigslist for pennies, or found), I'm saving to buy actual nice pieces like the teak couch/chair combo.. but wanna wait til I settle down (for the first time at least).

I used to have a setup like yours of the monitor + TV on an entertainment center of sorts but hated when I had to do actual work, as I'd have to pull a half height chair over to model stuff or general computer work. How do you work on that computer?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Not an Anthem posted:

I used to have a setup like yours of the monitor + TV on an entertainment center of sorts but hated when I had to do actual work, as I'd have to pull a half height chair over to model stuff or general computer work. How do you work on that computer?

I work on computers at work and use my machine at home for entertainment only I guess. I don't have any sort of productivity stuff on this machine anyway. The most work like stuff I do is organizing photos and reading/posting on forums, where I'll either move up close or zoom in on Firefox. The 17" is pretty much unreadable from the couch, but that's OK if you know what you're looking at anyway, it is still useful.

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

The TV isn't as big as I'd like but it's not in the budget right now and I feel like any bigger would need a different stand/mount so as not to look (and be) ridiculously top-heavy. No fancy equipment, just a cheap Polaroid FLM3232 TV, Wii, a 10 year old DVD (and Divx lol) player, and a Tivo HD.

The speakers on the TV sort of suck and I'd like to have a proper audio setup but I hate cords, really hate having to screw around with multiple remote controls and my attempt at using one of the expensive Harmony all-in-ones was not successful.

C0lin
Jul 12, 2005
Would you consider getting a sound bar? You could just mount it right under your tv. Does the TV speaker thing come off?

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

C0lin posted:

Would you consider getting a sound bar? You could just mount it right under your tv. Does the TV speaker thing come off?

The TV speaker doesn't come off but it wouldn't bother me to have a sound bar in addition. I think I might wait until I upgrade the TV but I'll most likely go with a sound bar option when the time comes. My problem with my A/V system before when I had surround was that the audio from each component had to go into it and I had to change to the right input every time I switched from the TV to the DVD player or whatever.

My ideal situation would just be a TV with a set of audio out RCA jacks and a sound bar with one input. Is there such thing as a good sound system that uses exactly one cable?

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

Ooner posted:

The TV isn't as big as I'd like but it's not in the budget right now and I feel like any bigger would need a different stand/mount so as not to look (and be) ridiculously top-heavy. No fancy equipment, just a cheap Polaroid FLM3232 TV, Wii, a 10 year old DVD (and Divx lol) player, and a Tivo HD.

The speakers on the TV sort of suck and I'd like to have a proper audio setup but I hate cords, really hate having to screw around with multiple remote controls and my attempt at using one of the expensive Harmony all-in-ones was not successful.

Where'd you get that shelf for your components? I could use something like that in my setup to hold my stuff.

Ooner
Sep 24, 2005

Mugmoor posted:

Where'd you get that shelf for your components? I could use something like that in my setup to hold my stuff.

I built it, but it's modeled after the Muro media storage unit they sell at DWR:

http://www.dwr.com/product/muro-media-storage-unfinished.do

There's also a nicer (and more expensive-looking) frosted glass version of the same unit.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

Ooner posted:

I built it, but it's modeled after the Muro media storage unit they sell at DWR:

http://www.dwr.com/product/muro-media-storage-unfinished.do

There's also a nicer (and more expensive-looking) frosted glass version of the same unit.

Yeah I found the stuff I'd need at Home Depot just now, thanks though :).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ooner posted:

Nice Sapien.

Sivilized
Jun 6, 2007

I finally pulled the trigger on upgrading my A/V setup. Everything arrived yesterday and I'm feeling good. My favorite part is hitting the foot pedal on the drums in Rock Band 2 and hearing the sweet, sweet bass.

Before:

After:

TV: LN46A650
Receiver: Onkyo 606
Speakers: Polk Monitor 50 (cherry)
Subwoofer: Polk PSW10 (cherry)
Remote: Harmony 550 (the most important piece)
Various: HTPC w/XBMC in Vista. Xbox 360. Comcast cable hdtv/pvr. Lots of cables from Monoprice (hdmi, toslink, speaker wire).

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Got my new sub installed to the back of the living room. It turned out to be the same height as my couch, so I had my buddy cut a piece of glass for the top incase anyone decided to set something on it.

Velodyne DLS-5000R

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

Click here for the full 681x1024 image.

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

C0lin
Jul 12, 2005
This is my setup with my new Harman Karden surround sound receiver. Also pictured, 42" Westinghouse LCD, PS3, 360 Elite and Polk Audio speakers.

This was the wiring behind the stand before I bought something called a cable box

And this is after

It looks a lot cleaner from the front. I actually could've used another one, but I'm not spending that much on a plastic box ever again.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

C0lin posted:

This is my setup with my new Harman Karden surround sound receiver. Also pictured, 42" Westinghouse LCD, PS3, 360 Elite and Polk Audio speakers.

I dig the symmetry (That's the best word I could use to describe it o_O) with the 360 and PS3. Badass setup :)

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Finally getting the hang of this new flash.

straight on:

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 12, 2009

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Omegaslast posted:

straight on:

Jesus H Speakers.

Why 2x360's?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

fahrvergnugen posted:

Jesus H Speakers.

Why 2x360's?

I am assuming that one is hacked and a media server.

Sultry Fungus
Oct 29, 2006

Phallic Fungus make me happy.

Omegaslast posted:

straight on:

What type of speakers are those, I assume they are home made?

Battlegoat
Jul 24, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sultry Fungus posted:

What type of speakers are those, I assume they are home made?
I believe they are AV123 LS6s.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Edit for system list

Runco XP50DHD
Integra DTC 9.8
Genelec 6040A (x3)
Genelec HT205 (x2)
Velodyne HGS 12
PS3
Pioneer EliteDVl-91
Panasonic DMRE50
Wii
Popcorn Hour
PS2
N64
Universal Remote MX980

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 13, 2009

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Battlegoat posted:

I believe they are AV123 LS6s.

correct

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Cornjob posted:

holy cow... those genelecs deserve to be on some stands not those things that probably vibrate to hell and back. :(

are your surrounds active? i think youre the only person on SA to be running a fully active setup.. dont see many of those.

and what sub is that?? it looks inadequate when compared to some genelec subs.

btw, nice fujitsu.

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup

Omegaslast posted:

straight on:

How do you like your Emotiva amp? Which is it? I just bought the XPA-2 for some 2-channel listening in another room, but now I'm thinking about adding an XPA-3 for the center/surround channels and moving both to the the main movie/TV rig. So far I've been impressed with the Emotiva line.

Beautiful speakers as well. I see you have your priorities straight in terms of cash leaving your pocket - based on this pic where your bed is 6" away from this setup.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

usurper posted:

How do you like your Emotiva amp? Which is it? I just bought the XPA-2 for some 2-channel listening in another room, but now I'm thinking about adding an XPA-3 for the center/surround channels and moving both to the the main movie/TV rig. So far I've been impressed with the Emotiva line.

Beautiful speakers as well. I see you have your priorities straight in terms of cash leaving your pocket - based on this pic where your bed is 6" away from this setup.

Its an xpa-3 with only the ls6s hooked up to it. it allows me to turn these up as loud as i want without any distortion and thats all i care about. What speakers you got running on the xpa-2??

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Omegaslast posted:

holy cow... those genelecs deserve to be on some stands not those things that probably vibrate to hell and back. :(

are your surrounds active? i think youre the only person on SA to be running a fully active setup.. dont see many of those.

and what sub is that?? it looks inadequate when compared to some genelec subs.

btw, nice fujitsu.

Runco. Not Fujitsu.

The surrounds are Genelec HT205 (x2)

The sub is a velodyne HGS 12.

I would like the Genelecs to be on a stand, but I am space-challenged.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Cornjob posted:

Runco. Not Fujitsu.

The surrounds are Genelec HT205 (x2)

The sub is a velodyne HGS 12.

I would like the Genelecs to be on a stand, but I am space-challenged.

hmm those fronts have 7" woofers? nice... makes the sub look smaller than it actually is.

usurper
Oct 19, 2003

Sup

Omegaslast posted:

Its an xpa-3 with only the ls6s hooked up to it. it allows me to turn these up as loud as i want without any distortion and thats all i care about. What speakers you got running on the xpa-2??

Well, on my music listening setup upstairs, just a set of Canton GLE 430's. On the TV setup, an old set of Klipsch KG 5.2's which are still some of the best sounding floor standing speakers I've heard. Or maybe I'm just used to them.

FlushablPet
Apr 27, 2002
AtKajAndAarAt

Ingram posted:

Samsung R8 40 Inch HDMI @ 48Hz 1360x768

780G Based HTPC, full hardware decoding for HD-DVD/BR/MKV, plays the lot. Using Media Portal 1.0 with Streamed MP, TV Series, My Movies plugin.

Old Yamaha HTIAB setup, does the job for a small room.

All controlled with MCE remote and a wireless mouse.

Full view from the couch.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/pano.jpg

Running Dark Knight BR.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/playingmovie.jpg

Browsing Movies.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/movies.jpg

Main Menu.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/viewtvshows.jpg

Tv episode menu.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d126/Lord-Ingram/friends.jpg

I have to ask, what skin are you using for MP? I love it.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

@KJ&AR@ posted:

I have to ask, what skin are you using for MP? I love it.

Looks like MediaStream, or at least a port of it.

Edit - The Media Portal port of MediaStream appears to be called StreamedMP.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 13, 2009

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

evilalien posted:

Looks like MediaStream, or at least a port of it.

Edit - The Media Portal port of MediaStream appears to be called StreamedMP.

I found StreamedMP to be really crappy actually, i switched over to XBMC which has MediaStream built-in and it works a lot better.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Recently updated my setup and got everything set the way I think it should be.

The HTPC is running media portal and has my 360 hd-dvd drive and a sony blu-ray drive hooked up to it.

Still need to hang that poster and buy another one for the other side.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"

Mugmoor posted:

I found StreamedMP to be really crappy actually, i switched over to XBMC which has MediaStream built-in and it works a lot better.

They're constantly releasing new versions that fix bugs and such. It's mostly quite stable now. I too only just started using it recently because I felt it was stable enough.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

mattfl posted:

Recently updated my setup and got everything set the way I think it should be.

The HTPC is running media portal and has my 360 hd-dvd drive and a sony blu-ray drive hooked up to it.

Still need to hang that poster and buy another one for the other side.

Looks great - I really like the TV stand. Mind sharing where you got it, or its brand/etc? I've got 2 consoles, an HTPC (very similar to your case - I've got an Antec Veris Fusion), a receiver, and a center channel speaker that I'd like to fit in my tv stand and it doesn't quite work at the moment.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

iluvpr0n posted:

Looks great - I really like the TV stand. Mind sharing where you got it, or its brand/etc? I've got 2 consoles, an HTPC (very similar to your case - I've got an Antec Veris Fusion), a receiver, and a center channel speaker that I'd like to fit in my tv stand and it doesn't quite work at the moment.

Got it at a furniture store called American Signature furniture, here it is on their website

http://www.asfurniture.com/webapp/w...ryId=4294967184

Decently priced and very well made. Very sturdy and pretty dam heavy.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

mattfl posted:

Got it at a furniture store called American Signature furniture, here it is on their website

http://www.asfurniture.com/webapp/w...ryId=4294967184

Decently priced and very well made. Very sturdy and pretty dam heavy.

Awesome - thanks, one of these may be in my future :coal:.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

mattfl posted:

you can hook up your 360 hd-dvd player and it will work through MP? I am running xbmc with media stream on my htpc and would be interested in doing this because my 360 is in another room that isnt very movie-friendly.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Esk1 posted:

you can hook up your 360 hd-dvd player and it will work through MP? I am running xbmc with media stream on my htpc and would be interested in doing this because my 360 is in another room that isnt very movie-friendly.

Yes and no. The 360 hooks up to XP just fine, xp even recognizes exactly what it is. I'm using arcsoft totalmedia theatre as my blu-ray/hd-dvd player though since it supports both blu-ray and hd-dvd disks. Media portal doesn't have the built in ability to play the disks so you need an external player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

ya i run xbmc with my logitech remote and wouldnt want to have to keep a mouse/keyboard around to do that, oh well....