Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThwartedEfforts
Aug 20, 2002

Moruitelda posted:

Union roof! I salute you.

Can't remember if it was this forum, but I recall talking with an owner who had put bloody German plates on his. You'd not fly the United Arab Emirates flag on the Chrysler Building, now would you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jihad_derka
Dec 24, 2007

by Ozma
HI I'M A COMPLETE MORON AND I CAN'T FOLLOW THE RULES DESPITE THEM HAVING EXISTED FOR YEARS, AND DESPITE SEVERAL MOD WARNINGS IN THIS VERY THREAD AND THE PROBATION OF OTHER "POST NOW THINK LATER" LEMMINGS

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 13, 2009

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Noidea posted:

jihad_derka posted:

I'm pretty sure Sigtrap may explode soon.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

ThwartedEfforts posted:

Union roof! I salute you.

Can't remember if it was this forum, but I recall talking with an owner who had put bloody German plates on his. You'd not fly the United Arab Emirates flag on the Chrysler Building, now would you?

Well the new minis are made by BMW........

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Adiabatic posted:

I'm pretty sure Sigtrap may explode soon.

Aren't rules meant to be broken? Especially after they've come up in the same thread a dozen times?

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Aren't rules meant to be broken? Especially after they've come up in the same thread a dozen times?

Rules from 1999 apparently because I certainly don't think any of us are running in 1024x768 anymore. I hate table breaking as much as the next guy but c'mon.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
It makes side scrolling for me an I am running 1280x1024 on this 19" Monitor. Then again I dock my buddy list and control bar on the right and left sides of the screen.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I'm actually running 1024x768. Currently the only machines I have at home are laptops that are at best over 3 years old. Granted, I have a brand new iMac on the way but have pitty for us poor folk, we do exist.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Xenoid posted:

Rules from 1999 apparently because I certainly don't think any of us are running in 1024x768 anymore. I hate table breaking as much as the next guy but c'mon.

:argh: c'mon, the rules are for other people...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Xenoid posted:

Unfortunately (for you), you'll likely have a probation to think about that statement for a while.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

:argh: c'mon, the rules are for other people...

Not for me man, I live life on the wild side. No seatbelt, lit joint, bottle of scotch, doing 130 on the wrong side of the interstate with the top down. When the pigs see me I just hit the nitrous button and leave 'em in the dust.

slidebite posted:

Unfortunately (for you), you'll likely have a probation to think about that statement for a while.
Sadly but it doesn't change my mind I just won't express my opinion about it on this here internet forum again. Sorry Sigtrap? :(

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Xenoid posted:

Rules from 1999 apparently because I certainly don't think any of us are running in 1024x768 anymore.
I still have my browser window set to 1024 wide. I just use the other 900 pixels for other stuff. Real Gs don't fullscreen.

Moruitelda
Aug 7, 2005

I'll shut you up with my cock, you son of a bitch!

ssjonizuka posted:

I'm actually running 1024x768. Currently the only machines I have at home are laptops that are at best over 3 years old. Granted, I have a brand new iMac on the way but have pitty for us poor folk, we do exist.

It would make sense to phase out this rule, just like the 56k warnings. Sure, people exist who need them, but it's getting to be a vast minority and at some point it's not worth considering when you can have bigger pictures. But, enough of this poo poo.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

Xenoid posted:

Does everyone run their browser full screen? The average person's screen res isn't the only concern.

The rules are there for the sake of courtesy. Particularly in threads like this, where you have a page full of images. Even with broadband, they take a while to load. Let everyone post 1600-pixel wide images off of their awesome $100 PowerShot and you have even bigger pictures of marginal average quality, and a page that takes 3 minutes to load. Look at most other forums - dipshits don't even bother to resize full-res yet extremely crappy pics from their cellphones, so you have 1600x1200 shots of blurry jpeg-artifacted crap. Drawing the line at 800 keeps the forum readable.

If 800 pixels isn't enough to show how awesome something is, make it an 800-pixel thumbnail and link to full-size pics. I'll ask about getting the max horizontal res raised to 1,024.

sigtrap fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 14, 2009

hippynerd
Nov 5, 2004

by Ozma
What if you made a thread that was specificly for oversized images (upto whatever waffleimages allows)?

Could you just move the offenders post to the oversize images thread?

Then all you need is a button that auto probates and moves the post.

Edit:
currently running 1024x768, 1280x800 + 1024x768

hippynerd fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 14, 2009

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Or people could just not bitch and upload pics that are no larger than 800x600. I know the extra effort it takes to shrink pictures down and upload them somewhere has kept me from posting some pictures in the past -- and those pictures obviously weren't worth posting.

I use a 1900x1200 desktop, but my web browser is typically somewhere in the 900-1200 width, SA forums don't cause sidescrolling, no matter where I have the windows set... it's a nice feature. And, as sigtrap pointed out, you can always link to high res pictures, if the pictures are worth it.

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
The microsoft image resize powertoy can shrink a picture down to 800x600 with 4 clicks and basically zero loadtime. Not knowing about it is the only reason I can come up with for not using it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

SyHopeful posted:

tell us about the 53/54 chevy in the background.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...
My new to me 2001 BMW 330i with sport package and 5 speed. I LOVE this car. This is my own hosting...

I don't plan on doing a loving thing to it either. Maybe, just maybe tint the windows... that leather gets loving hot here in Florida.

sigtrap posted:

The rules are there for the sake of courtesy

I also think that, when using a great free image host service like Waffle Images, if the picture doesn't need to be 16,000mb large, shrink it down some, and help out the free servers as well...

Photos

Fermunky fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 21, 2009

Doctor Bud
Jul 25, 2008

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Fermunky posted:

I don't plan on doing a loving thing to it either. Maybe, just maybe tint the windows... that leather gets loving hot here in Florida.

I did this first thing after moving to South Florida. It's a great help in the summer, but a dark interior still will kill you in the summer. It also makes the car look a bit better, and keeps you a bit more private.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

2001 Honda Accord LX, 5 speed manual, 2.3L 4 cylinder with VETAKS.

Got it 2 1/2 years ago with 82k, has 105k now and just had the timing belt/water pump replaced today.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

LobsterboyX posted:

Yes, this. I'm not sold on whether it's a 53, 54, or 55 (maybe the blurry picture just makes the rear fender look like its popping out?). It kinda looks like a de-toothed 54 with no signal lights, or something. Tell me more.

ace0415
Jul 8, 2008
Here's my '84 scirocco 8v

She's my daily. Also have an '83 project but... that's another story for another time. She has 120k miles and so far i gave her new KYB shocks/struts, converted her to manual crank windows, replaced the alternator twice in 2 months!, and put those rice wheels on her. Fun car!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Moruitelda posted:

It would make sense to phase out this rule, just like the 56k warnings. Sure, people exist who need them, but it's getting to be a vast minority and at some point it's not worth considering when you can have bigger pictures. But, enough of this poo poo.

Don't kill me for not opting for the "S" :v:

Electric Snake
Sep 25, 2003
FUCKEN HELL MATE 8----------------------D
My xj heep:

Flying

FLEX SHOT <:c00l:>

Stuck. Very well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Passed a milestone in my E46 while driving back from Chicago last week.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Traded my car in at the weekend and now drive this:

Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205 (1995/96).
JDM import, 81,500 miles. Virtually stock.

With the turbocharger it pulls so much harder than the Celica GT-S I had before it, a joy to drive. I just imagine my fuel bills are going to skyrocket ;)

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Very nice! The ST205 is imo easily the best looking of the modern Celicas

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

LobsterboyX posted:

It's a 54 4-door, original 6 and 6v system. Owner's shooting for a sort of rat-rod theme: driveable, not wildly modified, but not pretty. You should see my friend's all-original 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak with the straight 8 in it :)

G_Gnome
Sep 24, 2004
The G Gnome Project
The cold snap in Northern BC this Christmas murdered my '00 hyundai accent, so we got this:

RAV4 V6 - that's my wife going "ohmygodohmygodohmygod" as she backs out, it's a little big for our small-car sized parking space, at least it's a bit bigger than the accent was.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

G_Gnome posted:

The cold snap in Northern BC this Christmas murdered my '00 hyundai accent

Howed that happen?

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006

G_Gnome posted:

The cold snap in Northern BC this Christmas murdered my '00 hyundai accent, so we got this:

They don't build 'em like they used to. My family used an 87 Hyundai in Yukon/Alaska/Northern BC for about 18 years.

G_Gnome
Sep 24, 2004
The G Gnome Project
^^I noticed quite a few Hyundais in Prince George on our way North.

Ziploc posted:

Howed that happen?

I'd checked our antifreeze for the cold before the trip and it tested fine, but one morning at 45 below when my wife went to pick up her sister the water pump blew off the block. It looked like somehow water froze and split it where it mounted.

Part of me thinks it might have been that when we had the timing belt replaced the garage may have just topped up the antifreeze with water and it didn't get warm enough to circulate fully, but that was weeks before we headed north.

It was really just the straw that broke the camel's back - we'd put enough into repairs and maintenance that we could have been paying off a new vehicle quite comfortably. We also needed to be back in Vancouver two days later and there was no way we were going to get it fixed in time or feel good about driving the thing through the storms that weekend. It had also just developed this wobbly rear-right wheel - you could grab the sides of the tire and wiggle it a full quarter inch, but if you jacked it up it seemed perfectly solid.

G_Gnome fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 19, 2009

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I posted my GTI a couple pages back, but I just picked this up tonight:

2005.5 A4 avant, 2.0T quattro, 6-speed manual, black leather interior, DVD navigation, 30k miles plus certified warranty to 100k. It's in amazing shape. I'm so happy to have an Audi again.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Joined the stable. Was going to resurrect the winter beater thread but thought against it. Not too bad of shape for a '91, though I did find some pretty bad rust at the back of the cab last night that someone tried to fix and failed. Who knows if it will pass inspection in July. It's nice to have a truck, though :3:

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

GazChap posted:

Traded my car in at the weekend and now drive this:

Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205 (1995/96).
JDM import, 81,500 miles. Virtually stock.

With the turbocharger it pulls so much harder than the Celica GT-S I had before it, a joy to drive. I just imagine my fuel bills are going to skyrocket ;)

Color me green; you have one very cool car. Throw on some cheaper wheels (because the ones on there are pretty nice) and some knobbies and go do your best impersonation of Carlos Sainz :D (...although he drove the ST185)

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

GazChap posted:

That's a fantastic looking car.

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
That GT-Four is badass.

'82 Datsun 280ZX, rusting its way to a slow slow death.

edit: finally fixed images

Isaac Asimov fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 21, 2009

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Link not coming out right?

The ST205 is awesome, but I think the ST185 and its popups looks way more 90s-modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThwartedEfforts
Aug 20, 2002

Negromancer posted:

Well the new minis are made by BMW........

:eng99:

Get your tricolours in for Chrysler then