Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

abbad0n posted:

LOGH Spiral Labyrinth Ep 5 xvid h264
LOGH Spiral Labyrinth Ep 6 xvid h264
holy recycled animation. I just watched half a dozen ships blow up half a dozen times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I decided to get into this and I'm downloading it all now. I've watched the first 4 episodes and I'm already hooked. Looking forward to the series!

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

cooldude2.0 posted:

holy recycled animation. I just watched half a dozen ships blow up half a dozen times.

Yes. This arc has been relatively disappointing in general. :(

Thankfully Yang's finally gonna do something next episode!

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
So, I am watching LOGH for the first time this week, and I just finished the first season (sorry to derail any current topic). Wow, I really do not know what to say. The first 2 episodes I felt were really slow, but after that the show has steadily increased its tempo all the way to the end of the first season. The art really turned me away from this show for the longest time, but I do say after only a few episodes I forgot why I hadn't started watching this sooner and was hooked. I suppose I sound like a broken record, I bet people have been saying that for years in this thread, but all I can say is more people should watch LOGH. :keke:

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
I mentioned that I had started watching the main series about two pages ago in this thread. Well, I finished it today.

Oh my god. So loving awesome. I hardly know what to say.

Anyhow, I'll wait a while before watching the side stories. Whether I can hold off until the subbing finishes remains to be seen.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Has anyone come across a retailer importing the new PC game? I've seen it for sale here, but at around £60 by the time I add the postage, it's a bit pricey for my liking ...

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Professor Irony posted:

Has anyone come across a retailer importing the new PC game? I've seen it for sale here, but at around £60 by the time I add the postage, it's a bit pricey for my liking ...

I ran the retail price they give through Google to convert it to USD. It's like a $1.50 USD markup over the retail price, so I don't think you'll find it much cheaper anywhere else.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Hmm, I hadn't bargained on Japanese PC games being so expensive. Oh well, cheers anyway.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Finally decided to continue watching the series after putting it off.

Holy poo poo, 20 episodes in and There are already 2 civil wars going on AT THE SAME TIME? Then Jessica Sanders gets killed for peaceful protest?

I cannot wait to watch the rest of this.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Thanks to this, I'm 50 eps in, and having a blast. This series is fantastic, and the way they just kill off characters is almost amusing.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Thanks to this thread Im on like episode 33 its amazing, this is defiantly one of my favorite animes of all time.

Professor Irony posted:

Hmm, I hadn't bargained on Japanese PC games being so expensive. Oh well, cheers anyway.

You can download the trial here, its awesome http://gineiden-game.jp/

the trial is only some weird cutscene movie stuff and a 15 minute playable demo of the game, but you get to see that the AI is no pushover.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 24, 2008

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's too bad the Sins of a Solar Empire LOGH mod doesn't look to be completed any time soon. Ah well.

Guess who is rewatching this in his spare time :sigh:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zorak posted:

It's too bad the Sins of a Solar Empire LOGH mod doesn't look to be completed any time soon. Ah well.

I was just thinking that the game engine would be perfect. Didn't know a mod already existed.

I've only watched a couple episodes of the original series so far. Rest is still in the tubes.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007
Whos subs are up on crunchyroll? Is it CA's?

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Finally some new eps to view:

LOGH Gaiden Spiral Labyrinth Ep 07 (h264) (xvid)
LOGH Gaiden Spiral Labyrinth Ep 08 (h264) (xvid)

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Started watching this after I ran out of Tytania episodes to watch, and I have to say that episode 4 is the most homoerotic thing I have ever seem.

It has to be intentional because holy poo poo its so gay.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

UserMan posted:

Started watching this after I ran out of Tytania episodes to watch, and I have to say that episode 4 is the most homoerotic thing I have ever seem.

I'm sorry you can't appreciate passionate male friendship.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

UserMan posted:

No you have to think when it was written if this was 2000 it would definitely be gay, but back in the 70s or 60s whenever the book was written it would just be considered a close (not gay) friendship.

But yeah I started watching it for the same reason, and its been amazing so far.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

No you have to think when it was written if this was 2000 it would definitely be gay, but back in the 70s or 60s whenever the book was written it would just be considered a close (not gay) friendship.

But yeah I started watching it for the same reason, and its been amazing so far.

Wellllll, the manga of the novels was very shoujo, so I think the gayness was intentional, at least for that version of the story.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tir McDohl posted:

Wellllll, the manga of the novels was very shoujo, so I think the gayness was intentional, at least for that version of the story.
Was the manga written by the original author? Of course many people are going to have that kind of misconception. It may even appeal to some segments (perhaps even myself... were it actually there). That doesn't change the fact that there's no more homosexuality in this story than there is between Frodo and Sam.

I enjoy joking about it as much as the next person, as it's rarely depicted in fiction nowadays, but it is kind of bothersome when someone honestly doesn't understand this intense kind of friendship.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Where can I find the soundtracks of this? The music they play for battles is amazing.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

KlavoHunter posted:

Where can I find the soundtracks of this? The music they play for battles is amazing.

Anywhere they sell classical music. :v:

Seriously though. Besides the opening and ending themes, it's all Beethoven, Mahler, Wagner, Hayden, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, and so on.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Yeah. Especially Mahler, there's a loving lot of Mahler. His 3rd symphony is heard a lot.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
How many episodes should I watch before deciding whether to continue? It's barely passed the 3 episode test. Do things start to pick up a bit?

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
There's some good action coming up. Finish episode 7, if it's not grabbing you by then I guess it's not for you.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The action is intermittent, and secondary to the real meat of the show. If you're watching mostly for the action you probably won't be all that satisfied.

It's good payoff, but the buildup and aftermath are usually more important.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
Yeah, I wasn't think of action scenes so much as... something happening. Specifically, the Iserlohn invasion.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ah I see. Still, I don't want to give any false impressions about the pace of the show. It almost never moves very quickly; one might use "deliberate" or "inexorable" to describe it, but I am not sure I would say it ever "picks up" at least by contemporary standards. But that is subjective and I don't know exactly how Mokinokaro meant it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, LOGH never pretends to be something it isn't, and the pacing and style present in episode 1 generally remains constant throughout the series. There won't be one episode or even one season where things suddenly come together. It's one of those things that you might not see anything of particular note in a single episode, but when you look back on the story arc as a whole you can't help but be amazed. It's all about the build up and general scope of the whole thing that really draws in people. I've said this before in the thread, but the best comparison I can think of is something like The Wire which is also very deliberate with its pacing, and can't be evaluated at anything less than the sum of its parts.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

It almost never moves very quickly; one might use "deliberate" or "inexorable" to describe it, but I am not sure I would say it ever "picks up" at least by contemporary standards.

When I watched it, my feeling was that the whole thing felt like a chronicle of future history. It wasn't an up-close, dramatic, in-your-face retelling of events, but rather a slightly distanced and broad examination of all the elements playing against each other, and their eventual results.

Very non-standard flow for a TV series, but I thought it very addictive. Like tuning into the history channel from several hundred years in the future.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Kept at it and things are definitely better now (starting ep. 7.)

Good show so far but I think it was the lack of an attention grabbing first episode that initially turned me off.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Question, I loved the first movie, but the first of 101 episodes don't seem set right after the movie, is there anything I missed?

Honest Thief fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 13, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Honest Thief posted:

Question, I loved the first movie, but the first of 101 episodes don't seem set right after the movie, is there anything I missed?
There's a slight time skip, so no you haven't missed anything.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also it should be 110 and not 101 episodes.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ah I see. Still, I don't want to give any false impressions about the pace of the show. It almost never moves very quickly; one might use "deliberate" or "inexorable" to describe it, but I am not sure I would say it ever "picks up" at least by contemporary standards. But that is subjective and I don't know exactly how Mokinokaro meant it.

I see it as kind of like real history or politics. Sometimes stuff happens in an instant, while other times it's the slow culmination of multiple factors. Important events can range from a certainty to a freak coincidence. The only reason that LOGH even has 'arcs' is because they're defined by whatever the most important military or political conflict was at the time. There are always unrelated things going on that range from taking place in a single episode to spanning multiple arcs.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Anywhere they sell classical music. :v:

Seriously though. Besides the opening and ending themes, it's all Beethoven, Mahler, Wagner, Hayden, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, and so on.

Oh, cool, so ALL of it is actual classical music.

I just wish there was a list of the particular pieces they use in the series - especially during battles.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

KlavoHunter posted:

Oh, cool, so ALL of it is actual classical music.

I just wish there was a list of the particular pieces they use in the series - especially during battles.

Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.yumei.com/gin/c_guide-e.html

If you're not sure what some of the abbreviations are in the series/episode/movie listings, check the by-author/composer index and you should be able to get it.

The last time I watched LOGH all the way through I jotted down all the ones I recognized and only missed a few - all those trips to see the CSO finally paid off! Seriously though, the series really is a primer in popular themes from baroque/classical/romantic music. If you listen to all of the songs it uses in their entirety and learn them by ear you could snob it up pretty well in the right circles. Just don't tell people that everything you learned about classical music was from anime.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Oh yes, I guess the FPA's and Empire's anthems are both original works too, but that was probably more obvious.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lw9tt6

here's LoGH's original soundtrack stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Maybe I'm just crazy, but is Siegfried human? There's something about his eyes that freak me out, am I supposed to have this reaction or it's just some animation quirk that irked me wrong?