Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

W: "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?"
M: "What've you got?"

meba rhodium posted:

I'm an absolute sucker for symphonic black metal, and I haven't found a new fix in ages. So I need your help.

What I'm listening to now that relates to that genre:

Anorexia Nervosa
Dimmu Borgir (an old highscool sweetheart I'm still in love with)
Arcturus
Equilibrium (really digging Sagas)
Nokturnal Mortum

Any recommendations appreciated.

I just found the band Carach Angren. Some serious kickass symphonic black metal. Check out their MySpace. You'd probably like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Anyone checked out Dead To This World's First Strike For Spiritual Renewance? Saw an ad for it on Metal Underground and read a little about them on the CM distro site, sounds interesting.

dreamsorprayers
Oct 10, 2007

you faggot mcband

Unacknowledged posted:

Marduk is so boring though.

not when you're in highschool.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

meba rhodium posted:

I'm an absolute sucker for symphonic black metal, and I haven't found a new fix in ages. So I need your help.

What I'm listening to now that relates to that genre:

Anorexia Nervosa
Dimmu Borgir (an old highscool sweetheart I'm still in love with)
Arcturus
Equilibrium (really digging Sagas)
Nokturnal Mortum

Any recommendations appreciated.

You might like Nexus Polaris by Covenant (now spelled Kovenant)

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
The new vocalist for the Inferno-side of Gorgoroth is Pest! Put on Under the Sign of Hell and rejoice.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
Had to resurrect this to say that I just snagged Vreid's latest Milorg and it is loving awesome. Anyone give it a spin yet? I'm not too familiar with Vreid, but I'll be sure and grab the rest of their stuff after hearing this.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Diseased Yak posted:

Had to resurrect this to say that I just snagged Vreid's latest Milorg and it is loving awesome. Anyone give it a spin yet? I'm not too familiar with Vreid, but I'll be sure and grab the rest of their stuff after hearing this.

I haven't heard it yet but I Krig left me wanting more. I'd be curious to hear how you rate it after you've heard their other two. Pitch Black Brigade is pretty good, I hope they went back in that direction again.

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...
I'll definitely get them both and give a listen. Milorg is so good that after my first play-through I immediately started it up again.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Holy poo poo, the split between Chinese bands Zuriaake and Yn Gizarm is some of the most amazing poo poo I've ever heard. If you can find that poo poo listen ASAP.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin
I haven't read the thread entirely and I have some ideas of where to look already, so I am throwing this question out there for myself and anyone with similar taste. Very specifically, what should I listen to that is very much like Emperor or Leviathan? Those are really the only two black metal artists I am very into right now.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Halo posted:

I haven't read the thread entirely and I have some ideas of where to look already, so I am throwing this question out there for myself and anyone with similar taste. Very specifically, what should I listen to that is very much like Emperor or Leviathan? Those are really the only two black metal artists I am very into right now.

I'd go with tried and true classics like Burzum, Dimmu Borgir and older Satyricon.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
There's shitloads of stuff like Emperor, but really, it depends on what era of their output you mean. I'd recommend Avzhia (sometimes spelled Auzhia)'s The Key of Throne and Dark Emperors if you like Emperor's output circa In the Nightside Eclipse.

I'd also suggest Setherial's Nord, which is a vastly underrated album for some reason, probably because people only remember what followed it.

As for Leviathan, why not look into Mutiilation, Vampires of Black Imperial Blood or Remains of a Ruined, Dead, Cursed Soul are the normal starting points there.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin
thanks for the responses... i have a good start now. cheers!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Pick up Ildjarn's Forest Poetry and Sort Vokter's Folkloric Necro Metal if you're not turned off by how amazingly low-fi they are.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Also look into anything LLN influenced, maybe some Moevot or whatever.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:
Why are they playing Hypocrisy on Black Metal Radio? I thought this was Death Metal. I'm so confused. Just when I thought I was getting a hold on genre distinction...

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Why are they playing Hypocrisy on Black Metal Radio? I thought this was Death Metal. I'm so confused. Just when I thought I was getting a hold on genre distinction...

No you're ok, they've been black metal as gently caress since they released Virus.

VV Really?

"Really?" was questioning his questioning of it being a joke. It's a joke, relax.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 22, 2008

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Unacknowledged posted:

No you're ok, they've been black metal as gently caress since they released Virus.

is this a joke?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Unacknowledged posted:

VV Really?

Yes really. They never have been, ever.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I always thought Hypocrisy was death metal :\

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

Hypocrisy is definitely death metal, but Peter's older and I think now defunct band The Abyss was black metal.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

okay i am trying to track down a band:

there was a short lived thread or subtopic in a thread or something about beloved black metal vocalists, and someone linked a black metal band, french i think? That had absolutely inhuman and awesome shrieking. I recall looking at wikipedia at the time and it said they started out as a NSBM band and moved away from it later, and it may have been a one man project but I'm not sure. The album cover in the youtube track reminded me of black and white plague etchings.

edit: Found it. It was Peste Noire.

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 28, 2008

EssEssEssErr
Jul 14, 2007

Your description made me think of Mystic Forest.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I thought of Gris, but it's not a one-man band.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin
I went through all 25 pages yesterday: Thanks for the hundreds of recommendations! To contribute, two groups I really love haven't surfaced yet in this thread. People with traditional black-metal tastes might enjoy them.

Krieg Very fast with muddy production, no keyboards or acoustic instruments, anguished scratchy vocals, some guitar melody.
http://www.myspace.com/officialkrieg

Heresi Angry vocals with ultra-Satanic lyrics (in Swedish). One-man-band (Skamfer, from Ondskapt). Fast, minimalist and bleak.
http://www.myspace.com/trueheresi

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Has anyone heard news about either new Gorgoroth album? I know the name/rights trial is set for the last week of this month, but neither the Gaahl/King nor the Infernus websites are particularly helpful.

In other news, Kvitrafn's Wardruna comes out on the 19th!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I'm looking forward to the wardruna album. I've loved the samples on their myspace page. As for gorgoroth, the name bullshit is really getting pathetic at this point. Gaahl is more of a name than the band is anyway, let infernus keep driving it into the ground. Gaahl and king have been the creative force since Twilight anyway.

Is there any material to hear from either camp at this point?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Agreed. Hopefully the end of the month will be the end of this baby poo poo too. Wardruna sounds loving awesome, and I've also been digging the stand alone player on that site.

I checked the myspaces for both, and there isn't anything at either. Aside from their own sites, I don't know where else to look.

17 Characters
May 5, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've read the thread, haven't seen this one mentioned yet. Maybe it isn't black metal or maybe it just isn't very good - I'm crazy for it.

Band is "Zelfhaat" and the song I heard is "Beklagenswaardig Bestaan"

It starts out with a clip of the Jim Jones recording and goes from there. I'd heard the Jim Jones stuff before, introduced via an SA thread some years ago so when I heard it, it was spooky. How would you classify this music?

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

17 Characters posted:

Band is "Zelfhaat" and the song I heard is "Beklagenswaardig Bestaan"

It starts out with a clip of the Jim Jones recording and goes from there. I'd heard the Jim Jones stuff before, introduced via an SA thread some years ago so when I heard it, it was spooky. How would you classify this music?

I liked what I heard of Zelfhaat, thanks for bringing this group into the discussion. I would definitely classify them as depressive black metal.

Listed influences on their MySpace page: "Depression, Nihilism, Suicide, Solitude, Abortion, Mental Defects, Euthanasia, Death, Disease, War, Famine, Apocaliptyc Visions, Negativity, Satan."

garbage day fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 8, 2009

17 Characters
May 5, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nice, I'm glad I mentioned a band that sounds like what you like. Their influences are pretty funny, hehe. satan yeah!

Edit: If you like these guys, maybe you'd like Wedard. This band is drums and a guitar, very low production values. Oh and a droning echo-y keyboard sound. It sounds lame but I can't get the music out of my head. The band has a split with BlackStream (eh, not my taste) and a couple of albums, one of which is Einsamer Winterweg. Way slower than Zelfhatt, just kind of meanders around.

17 Characters fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 8, 2009

RandomUsername
Apr 11, 2007

Garbage Day posted:

I went through all 25 pages yesterday: Thanks for the hundreds of recommendations! To contribute, two groups I really love haven't surfaced yet in this thread. People with traditional black-metal tastes might enjoy them.

Krieg Very fast with muddy production, no keyboards or acoustic instruments, anguished scratchy vocals, some guitar melody.
http://www.myspace.com/officialkrieg

Heresi Angry vocals with ultra-Satanic lyrics (in Swedish). One-man-band (Skamfer, from Ondskapt). Fast, minimalist and bleak.
http://www.myspace.com/trueheresi

Krieg used to be awesome. Destruction Ritual is pure insanity. Total ear splitting goatnoise. Imperial is such a turd though, more so than most black metallers. I met him at a show and he called my friend a poser because he was wearing a blue polo shirt and refused to talk to him. "Black metal is about corpse paint, leather and spikes...not short hair and polo shirts.". Classic fat gently caress, moms basement, elite black metaller.

I've kind of fallen out with the majority of black metal...been into the old Canadian style stuff like Conqueror, Blasphemy, Revenge, Goatsemen and Naked Whipper (the last two arent canadian, but in a similar vein.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
any bands similar to Darkthrone's Blaze In The Northern Sky or Ulver's Naatens Madrigal? I love the vibe I get from the harsh quality.

Also, I assume everyone in this thread has heard Krallice by now.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm really suprised Paysage d'Hiver hasn't been mentioned more. Wintherr makes some of the most amazing atmospheric black metal ever. Production levels jump around a lot from album to album (e.g you can barely hear Kerker, Einsamkeit is loud and clear), but so what. Just grab anything you can find.

(Pick up Darkspace material as well.)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

any bands similar to Darkthrone's Blaze In The Northern Sky or Ulver's Naatens Madrigal? I love the vibe I get from the harsh quality.

Also, I assume everyone in this thread has heard Krallice by now.
Ildjarn, Sort Vokter, we've been over it a dozen times

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Oldstench posted:

I'm really suprised Paysage d'Hiver hasn't been mentioned more. Wintherr makes some of the most amazing atmospheric black metal ever. Production levels jump around a lot from album to album (e.g you can barely hear Kerker, Einsamkeit is loud and clear), but so what. Just grab anything you can find.

(Pick up Darkspace material as well.)

Welt Aus Eis off of PDH's self-titled is my favorite black metal song ever. The violins are creeeepy.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Any Old Irony posted:

Welt Aus Eis off of PDH's self-titled is my favorite black metal song ever. The violins are creeeepy.

Good choice. What an awesome song.

RandomUsername posted:

Krieg used to be awesome. Destruction Ritual is pure insanity. Total ear splitting goatnoise.

The Patrick Bateman EP is pretty awesome as well.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 14, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
OK I know I am a million years late on this, but Monument by Cor Scorpii has leapfrogged its way up to the top of my favourites list. Pure brilliance.

Does anyone have any opinions/recommendations to share on Iskald? They're touring with Vreid and Kampfar and I'd like to know whether it's worth turning up early enough to see them, too.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Iskald is ABSOLUTELY worth checking out. I'm jealous you get to see them live.

If you're a fan of the windir/sworn Sogna black metal sound, Iskald is firmly in that realm. It's been a while since I've seen their myspace page, but if they have a song called Pesten up, that's the song that got me into them. I'm not the biggest fan of their new album but Shades of Misery and Northern Twilight are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I just ordered Ne Obliviscaris - The Aurora Veil Demo from their Myspace and a badass white t-shirt.

Their full-length needs to come out almost as fast as the new Wintersun.