Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
Victims/Kylesa have a split 7" coming out, all the Murder City Devils records are getting re-released too. Oh yeah, there's some Jawbreaker represses of 24 Hour Revenge Therapy floating around (there's a handful 1234 Go in Oakland) and more are coming on Blackball later. Pretty sad that this is 66+% repress talk.

Saw a local band called Pigs open for This Bike is a Pipe Bomb two weeks ago that were totally awesome. Pretty doom-y stuff with a penchant for bizarro experimentation like Harvey Milk. Amebix show in two weeks.

There's been too much talk of bad hardcore, let's not mention any for the next 30 posts.

Grigori Rasputin fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 15, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Going to see the Swellers and A Wilhelm Scream in Rochester in two weeks, opening for Streetlight Manifesto.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
These Arms Are Snakes w/ Clouds at The Middle East Upstairs 3/5. My e-mail just told me and now I'm excited. Time to start perusing show listings again.

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

Grigori Rasputin posted:

There's been too much talk of bad hardcore, let's not mention any for the next 30 posts.

Well it was a nice thought

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Japan update:

-Napalm CD loving dominates. Obscure noise hardcore from the mid 80's. From loving Sapporo!
-new Conflict For Freedom DVD is rad. Awesome DSB footage among others.
-both Johns Town Aloha 7"s are insane. Ex-members of Exclaim and even noisier.
-new Zyanose 7" sucks despite myspace crusties hype machine. B-side is so loving annoying. Hopefully they won't gently caress up their LP.
-The Sick and Takahashigumi are the best Trall Punk bands to not actually be from Sweden.
-Control 2nd demo is like "Nuclear Addicts" outtakes.
-The Slowmotions. Best band. Can't wait for the LP this year.

In conclusion, someone give me the loving Z demo before I have to choke a bitch.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

ChaosNonMusica posted:

Japan update:
-both Johns Town Aloha 7"s are insane. Ex-members of Exclaim and even noisier.
-The Sick and Takahashigumi are the best Trall Punk bands to not actually be from Sweden.
-The Slowmotions. Best band. Can't wait for the LP this year.

how can i get copies of these?

Also upcoming stuff i'm excited for:
New Graf Orlock
New Mind Eraser 7"
Shrinebuilder stuff

also, Life Trap came through AZ recently, if they are still on tour and come through your city do yourself a favor and loving see them. They are awesome. Sounds like 80's hardcore should, like they are about to fall apart at the seams while playing. They are seriously awesome.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Iron Lung posted:

how can i get copies of these?

You can get the 2nd JTH 7" and Slowmotions singles LP from Feral Ward: http://www.feralward.com/cart.

For the Sick and Takahashigumi CDs, you'll have to hit up a Japanese shop like BASE, NAT, or Punk And Destroy.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Awesome. I haven't looked at the Feral Ward distro in a while, they always have such sweet stuff. Any other recommendations? I'm really into stuff like Paintbox, have two of their LPs, and Hammer.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

answersyouseek posted:

Well it was a nice thought

There is no mention of hardcore between his post and yours.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Is Comeback Kid bad hardcore? If so, I like bad hardcore

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO

Inspector_71 posted:

There is no mention of hardcore between his post and yours.

Talking about hardcore is ok, bad hardcore is not though.

Good hardcore is from the 80's or crusty and dbeaty. We should keep a list:

Good:
minor threat
negative approach
tragedy
his hero is gone
from ashes rise
victims

facts!

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Talking about hardcore is ok, bad hardcore is not though.

Good hardcore is from the 80's or crusty and dbeaty. We should keep a list:

Good:
minor threat
negative approach
tragedy
his hero is gone
from ashes rise
victims

facts!

I'm trying to tell if numbers 4 and 5 are ironic or not...

09 predictions:
I hope Brutal Knights puts out something good soon.
Minor Threat reunion?
hosed Up will release 17 7"s.
The powerviolence revival will cease, Ceremony will remain not as overrated as everyone claims they are.
That Kid Dynamite tribute album will finally come out, on which several bands who sound exactly like Kid Dynamite will cover Kid Dynamite. I'm looking at you, Death is Not Glamorous.
90's hardcore revival will take full effect. Start trading in your cut-offs and patch jackets for Krishna Beads and backpacks.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

New thursday leaked. Not hardcore but I figured some people would be interested to give it a listen.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
got my tickets for amebix in february. electro hippies are great, everyone should like them. anti-cimex is better than discharge.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

anti-cimex is better than discharge.

Thats really not true, but they are pretty good. I dont think you can (d)beat discharge.

also, is ceremony really considered powerviolence? I always thought they were just angry white-boy hardcore. their new stuff is so awful, but i'm hoping to sell their new 7" for a million dollars on ebay in the coming years.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
I'd back anti-cimex > discharge although my younger self would disagree. Ceremony is def. crap sandwich.

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
I think Im the only person that likes Ceremony. But I dont think they are powerviolence.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

A5H posted:

New thursday leaked. Not hardcore but I figured some people would be interested to give it a listen.

If they kept up the sound from the Envy split, I will be happy.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I would sure love a new Brutal Knights album!

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

I think Im the only person that likes Ceremony. But I dont think they are powerviolence.

Nah, I'd say they're more liked than disliked, but the "look at how cool I am, I don't like this popular band!" minority is pretty vocal.

Pantalones! fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 16, 2009

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

i like ceremony a lot as well, actually. brutal knights rule.

and anti-cimex played what discharge did faster and angrier, and never went bullshit hard rock/metal (to my knowledge)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I know there's only a few people here who give a poo poo but the Steinways broke up last night

Makes me kinda sad

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Your Weird Uncle posted:

and anti-cimex played what discharge did faster and angrier, and never went bullshit hard rock/metal (to my knowledge)

I heard their later stuff like Absolut Country of Sweden and Scandinavian Jawbreaker was more metal sounding and not too good, but I haven't heard those albums myself. Raped rear end and Victims of a Bombraid are total winners though, of course. Shitlickers 7" is the ultimate Swedish HC record anyway, unfuckwithable.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Inspector_71 posted:

If they kept up the sound from the Envy split, I will be happy.

I'm enjoying it. The last track is fairly amazing.

Rubber Bob
Apr 9, 2001

baberaham lincoln posted:

That Kid Dynamite tribute album will finally come out, on which several bands who sound exactly like Kid Dynamite will cover Kid Dynamite. I'm looking at you, Death is Not Glamorous.

Ouch, called out. We even cover a song that we've already ripped off, so it's sort of like playing a better version of our own song. Still pretty fun to do, tho.

Pantalones!
Sep 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Rubber Bob posted:

Ouch, called out. We even cover a song that we've already ripped off, so it's sort of like playing a better version of our own song. Still pretty fun to do, tho.

???

Kim Jong-Chill
Nov 16, 2006

If you don't like swastikas then you DON'T DESERVE A TATTOO
Are you in Death Is Not Glamorous?

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl

09 predictions:
Minor Threat reunion?
Even if this happened I just can't see it being anything other than a let down.

quote:

90's hardcore revival will take full effect. Start trading in your cut-offs and patch jackets for Krishna Beads and backpacks.
gently caress yes.

ChaosNonMusica
Dec 21, 2003

Competition posted:

Even if this happened I just can't see it being anything other than a let down.

Thankfully, I'm pretty sure that Ian has enough good sense not to reunite Minor Threat. gently caress reunions anyway, there are plenty of awesome current hardcore/punk bands around the globe, no need for useless rehash.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

We're all gonna join An Albatross?

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?

Dickeye posted:

I know there's only a few people here who give a poo poo but the Steinways broke up last night

Makes me kinda sad

What? First the Ergs and now this? gently caress. Sad time for pop-punk.

Rubber Bob
Apr 9, 2001

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

Are you in Death Is Not Glamorous?

Yeah.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Rubber Bob posted:

Yeah.

do you guys remember when you played Hampshire College with Broadway Calls and awesome Folk Punk band that always plays here all the time that I can't remember the name of? Anyway, you guys ruled. I think I might have been the only one who was totally into it, though a lot of kids liked you. Still, it was hard to top Broadway Call's Minor Threat cover :(

Still standing by the KD comment though. Doesn't mean I don't <3 u though.

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

I love Ceremony, and I think they are in the vein of 90's powerviolence bands, but like someone else said, there is a very vocal group of people who dislike purely because they are currently Bridge 9's golden egg. The only time I've seen them in Nashville (which is sad, because they played there like once a loving week two summers ago) the lead guitarist wore a bright pink Prince shirt. Some homophobic fuckers wanted to jump him because he had his nails painted, I wanted to jump him just to take is rad Prince shirt. Violence Violence is a masterpiece.

baberaham lincoln fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 17, 2009

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

gerfatty posted:

What? First the Ergs and now this? gently caress. Sad time for pop-punk.

Grath posted a thread on the knockknock records board yesterday saying they were done playing shows, and they were officially broken up.

Ace and Michelle confirmed it later that day, no word from Grivet.

But yeah this is depressing, the only bands that didn't sound like straight rehashings of older bands are breaking up.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
I looked back a few pages but didn't see this posted... Jesse Michaels' (ex-Operation Ivy/Common Rider, of course) new band Classics of Love posted their first full band recording, and I have to say... I like.

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies
I picked up my third copy of the Void/Faith split on vinyl (I'm old, I don't have the previous two, don't ask) and noticed that Dischord now includes vouchers for MP3 downloads of their releases with the vinyl. Can I hand out the other two cards to some kids so they can download the split or do all three cards combine to create the one album, much like Voltron?

Competition
Apr 3, 2006

by Fistgrrl
I've suddenly developed the urge to listen to Terror

weird.

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

EvilRobot posted:

I picked up my third copy of the Void/Faith split on vinyl (I'm old, I don't have the previous two, don't ask) and noticed that Dischord now includes vouchers for MP3 downloads of their releases with the vinyl. Can I hand out the other two cards to some kids so they can download the split or do all three cards combine to create the one album, much like Voltron?

sell the cards on e-bay, say they are unique and that nothing else like them will ever be created. Or not, I dunno...

Rubber Bob
Apr 9, 2001

do you guys remember when you played Hampshire College with Broadway Calls and awesome Folk Punk band that always plays here all the time that I can't remember the name of? Anyway, you guys ruled. I think I might have been the only one who was totally into it, though a lot of kids liked you. Still, it was hard to top Broadway Call's Minor Threat cover :(

Still standing by the KD comment though. Doesn't mean I don't <3 u though.

Where was that? We played a college in Amherst, Mass. is that it? I also don't recall Broadway Calls ever playing a Minor Threat cover. The awesome folk band you're talking about is called The Riot Before. Everybody should check them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baberaham lincoln
Nov 19, 2008

Rubber Bob posted:

Where was that? We played a college in Amherst, Mass. is that it? I also don't recall Broadway Calls ever playing a Minor Threat cover. The awesome folk band you're talking about is called The Riot Before. Everybody should check them out.

yeah, that was the college. Maybe it was you guys who played a minor threat cover? Either way it was rad. I thought it was BC, because they kept announcing that they were going to do 2 covers, and I kept yelling for them to do a Saves The Day cover. I am witty.

The Riot Before plays Hampshire at least twice a year, and they kill it every time. Much better than many of the electric folk punk bands still out there today.