Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention

Strict 9 posted:

Is the only way to maintain one library to leave my home Macbook on and connected, and do some kind of network share, playing / modifying that library?

This is exactly what I talked about doing earlier in the thread. I ended up getting my music (mostly) streaming over the internet by mounting the folder with my home music library on my computer at work, but it only works okay, and it's pretty obnoxious to set up. And any time my home internet connection hiccups, so does my music, so it's not perfect. So given that...

SmirkingJack posted:

Lucky for you, SuperSync just released a new version that will do just that. I know nothing about it, other than it is something that I want to check out. So you should purchase it and let us all know how it works out.
...might work a lot better for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Strict 9 posted:

Is the only way to maintain one library to leave my home Macbook on and connected, and do some kind of network share, playing / modifying that library?

Since your library at work is only 5GB and you have an ipod, why not just keep it all on there? That way when you sync it at home it'll update your ratings etc.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I just installed XP 64bit edition on my PC to take advantage of 4 gigs of RAM. To my horror, iTunes doesn't work on this edition of Windows.

I have an iPhone that I use daily, and I have to get it working with my PC. I don't want to have wasted money on this RAM. What recourse do I have?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just installed XP 64bit edition on my PC to take advantage of 4 gigs of RAM. To my horror, iTunes doesn't work on this edition of Windows.

I have an iPhone that I use daily, and I have to get it working with my PC. I don't want to have wasted money on this RAM. What recourse do I have?
In the other thread I meant go back to XP 32-bit OS.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

wolffenstein posted:

In the other thread I meant go back to XP 32-bit OS.

I guess this is what I have to do. I've tried all the workarounds I've found on the web and each has failed.

I'll have over a gig of ram totally inoperable, unless anyone can offer a solution.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I guess this is what I have to do. I've tried all the workarounds I've found on the web and each has failed.

I'll have over a gig of ram totally inoperable, unless anyone can offer a solution.
Buy Vista 64. XP 64 sucks for many reasons.

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I am a recent iTunes adopter, having switched fully to Mac from Windows in the last month or so. I am loving it so far but have a dumb question regarding the management of movies using iTunes.

As an iPhone owner from time to time I convert my movies from full size into something more reasonable for the iPhone, putting them into iTunes so I can get them onto the phone. The only problem in doing so is that I now have two versions of the same movie, one full size, the other the smaller format, sat in the movies section of iTunes. It looks stupid and I want to be able to separate them out somehow, so the smaller versions exist in a different place within iTunes (and conversely in FrontRow when I am hooked up to the TV).

The same problem exists for TV Shows to a lesser extent. It seems like there should be another section called iPhone Video where I can dump all this stuff. Is there anything thing that I can do? Sorry for being thick!

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

sicjoke posted:

I am a recent iTunes adopter, having switched fully to Mac from Windows in the last month or so. I am loving it so far but have a dumb question regarding the management of movies using iTunes.

As an iPhone owner from time to time I convert my movies from full size into something more reasonable for the iPhone, putting them into iTunes so I can get them onto the phone. The only problem in doing so is that I now have two versions of the same movie, one full size, the other the smaller format, sat in the movies section of iTunes. It looks stupid and I want to be able to separate them out somehow, so the smaller versions exist in a different place within iTunes (and conversely in FrontRow when I am hooked up to the TV).

The same problem exists for TV Shows to a lesser extent. It seems like there should be another section called iPhone Video where I can dump all this stuff. Is there anything thing that I can do? Sorry for being thick!

The only thing I can suggest is to create smart playlists for each. Probably the best way is to use size as the determining factor.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Favorite tip for iTunes:

If you're in a playlist, you can hit alt-backspace to delete a file from the library, rather than from the playlist. (Keys may vary between Mac and Win.) Even works in smart playlists. As far as I can tell, this is just magic and there are no matching menu commands.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Argh..hh...heh. posted:

Two things:

- What is the best way to implement global hotkeys? I hate having to navigate back to the itunes window just to pause. It looks like there's a few programs out there, but most of them look pretty clumsily designed

I use iTunesKeys

http://www.mattberube.com/software/iTunesKeys/

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

smackfu posted:

Favorite tip for iTunes:

If you're in a playlist, you can hit alt-backspace to delete a file from the library, rather than from the playlist. (Keys may vary between Mac and Win.) Even works in smart playlists. As far as I can tell, this is just magic and there are no matching menu commands.

it's option + delete on a mac.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have both a laptop and a desktop. When I use Remote on my iPhone, they both appear as "MyName's Library". I tried changing the name of my libraries via preferences, but it didn't fix the problem. How do I make the names different?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Trypsin posted:

Thanks, I'm always confused because I'm using a PC keyboard on a Mac.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

smackfu posted:

Thanks, I'm always confused because I'm using a PC keyboard on a Mac.

Not really an iTunes tip but you can remap keys in System Preferences so everything lines up nicely if you want.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Trypsin posted:

For what it's worth, on my newer Apple keyboard, the option key has "alt" superscripted in the top corners now.

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

I have an Audible Audiobook, and I want to keep it between my work Mac and home PC's using iTunes. The problem is that I've downloaded the audiobook using the platform dependent way on both sides, and yet every time I sync it to my iPhone, I always get a message that it is overwriting my audiobook on the iphone with the local copy it has. What makes it worse is that I can't actually figure out where audiobooks are being stored on my mac, I don't see it in the library and unlike my windows PC there is no "Audiobooks" section of my library, and the file it overwrites doesn't have any album art, while when I get home the Work PC overwrites the Mac version with one with album art.

What is going on here?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Podcast management in iTunes sucks. I listen to long podcasts, and I was having annoyances where I wanted to sync podcasts while in the middle of a long podcast on my iPod. I would sync, and the in-progress podcast would be removed because it had been "listened" to. Then if I marked it new again to sync it back to the iPod it would reset the playhead back to the beginning of the file. It was maddening. Here's a workaround.

Tell iTunes not to sync your podcasts. Make a smart playlist called !!!Podcasts!!!, and set it to match if Podcast is True and Play Count is less than one. Tell it to limit to 100 podcasts going by recently added. This will save you from having to add your entire podcast collection to your iPod. Now tell iTunes to sync this playlist to your iPod, and voila you have much improved podcast management. The exclamation points make the playlist stick at the top or the near the top of all your synced playlists, and you can still see all of them in the podcast section of your iPod just as you could before.

You can sync without losing your place or the podcast you were in the middle of, and you have a playlist to use if you just want to play all your recent podcasts without having to choose which one to play next all the time. I like this for when I'm driving. Not knowing what's coming next reminds me of listening to real radio.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 16, 2009

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I manually manage all my music (I have it all laid out essentially like genre/artist/album/tracknumber - title) and my tags. The simple fact that iTunes doesn't have a "refresh library" command or something boggles my mind. When I add or delete a folder into/from my music directory, iTunes should automatically detect this and adjust its library accordingly.

I'm coming from foobar2000, though, a much more audiophilic (I think I made that up) program that supports these things. I just got a 6.5G 120GB iPod Classic literally earlier this week, and after much playing around, I've decided to stick to using foo_dop for syncing. That way, I don't have to deal with iTunes' misreading of the ID3 tags, and I don't have to manually manage my library (manually managing my filesystem is all I should have to do). I've been very pleased with foo_dop. It's clear that it's a solid plugin (it's been consistently developed for since December 2007), and anyone in the same situation as me should definitely look into it. The only thing I need iTunes around for now is to update my iPod's firmware.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Emo Businessman posted:

What is going on here?

Your Mac has the audiobooks section disabled, open preferences and turn it on. Also, I don't think you can have the same file bound to two different libraries and have it sync like that. Try playing it from your iPhone instead of from your computer in whichever place isn't syncing the audiobooks.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Fangs404 posted:

I manually manage all my music (I have it all laid out essentially like genre/artist/album/tracknumber - title) and my tags. The simple fact that iTunes doesn't have a "refresh library" command or something boggles my mind. When I add or delete a folder into/from my music directory, iTunes should automatically detect this and adjust its library accordingly.

I'm coming from foobar2000, though, a much more audiophilic (I think I made that up) program that supports these things. I just got a 6.5G 120GB iPod Classic literally earlier this week, and after much playing around, I've decided to stick to using foo_dop for syncing. That way, I don't have to deal with iTunes' misreading of the ID3 tags, and I don't have to manually manage my library (manually managing my filesystem is all I should have to do). I've been very pleased with foo_dop. It's clear that it's a solid plugin (it's been consistently developed for since December 2007), and anyone in the same situation as me should definitely look into it. The only thing I need iTunes around for now is to update my iPod's firmware.
I felt the same, but since, thanks to this thread, i learned about the smart playlists i simply cannot go back to foobar anymore. It's worth having to manually remove things from my library.

Although i agree with you that it's just stupid that itunes misses that. Maybe it does auto-update the library if you let itunes manage it?

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Charlie Mopps posted:

I felt the same, but since, thanks to this thread, i learned about the smart playlists i simply cannot go back to foobar anymore. It's worth having to manually remove things from my library.

Although i agree with you that it's just stupid that itunes misses that. Maybe it does auto-update the library if you let itunes manage it?

I've heard that if you re-add a folder it won't create duplicates of the songs that iTunes already has and add the songs that it hasn't seen before. I don't think it'll auto-delete though...

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
I am a relatively new iPhone/iTunes user with around 100GB of media in my library who is trying (and failing) to be smart in the way that it is managed.

Specifically I seem to have a real problem in deciding if I should manually manage the transfer of stuff onto my phone or let iTunes do a sync. I bounce between the two options but neither seem to fully fulfill my requirements and I can only surmise that I must be doing something wrong.

When I setup the phone so that I can “Manually manage music and video” it only appears to be a single direction operation. Getting stuff onto the phone is simple, removing specific items afterwards appears impossible and I always end up erasing the entire contents of the phone. This is frankly bollocks!

To resolve this, I set up a sync by marking the entire library “Unchecked”, setting iTunes to only sync stuff that was checked and then checking the albums that I wanted to copy over to the phone. (I have a habit of listening to albums from beginning to end in their entirety).

This worked out really well until I started loving about with smart playlists to listen directly from my MacBook at work. Whilst the playlist I generated produced the results I expected, because some of the tracks that get included in them were not checked they don’t play continuously, stopping at the unchecked tracks.

This leaves me with a conflict. Manually putting stuff on my iPhone means I cannot remove it, syncing checked items out of the library means I can but am unable to use smart playlists on my computer. What the gently caress I am doing wrong (and I concede that it must be me rather than iTunes!)?

I am really digging iTunes and if I was playing media exclusively from my MacBook I recognize how powerful a music management app it is. I just can’t seem to get my head around how I manage my media across my iPhone whilst retaining the functionality on the MacBook. Apologies in advance for be a complete fuckwit.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you're going to manually manage it the way you were before, you might as well make a regular playlist that isn't smart, and just tweak that however you want in iTunes. Then when you sync you can let the iPhone do it's thing automatically.

sicjoke
Nov 14, 2005
Got it sorted. Album rating can be used as a criterion in the creation of a smart playlist, resulting in playlists of full albums.

I use GimmeSomeTune’s hotkeys to rate tunes as I listen to them during the day on my computer. This in turn facilitates iTunes album rating computation, which feeds into a smartplaylist based on album rating (limited by the size of my iPhone).

Syncing this to my iPhone means that I am always carrying a dynamic list of my current favourite albums in their entirety.

Thanks to this thread for introducing me to the concept of smart playlists.

Smug mode engaged.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
I just finished reformatting my computer, and I ran into a small problem - I forgot to backup the games I've purchased for my iPod. Is there a way to re-download the games I've bought though iTunes, without having to pay again?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Kristneder posted:

I just finished reformatting my computer, and I ran into a small problem - I forgot to backup the games I've purchased for my iPod. Is there a way to re-download the games I've bought though iTunes, without having to pay again?
Just go to their page in the store and click the price/buy button. It should say you've already purchased it and let you download it again.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

-Dethstryk- posted:

Just go to their page in the store and click the price/buy button. It should say you've already purchased it and let you download it again.

Yeah, it says I've already purchased it, but then askes if I want to buy it again!? :O

And when I check that from the store menu - it says that everything I've bought has been transfered...

Kristneder fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 17, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

-Dethstryk- posted:

You have to email their support and beg and plead to get it put up for redownload.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Casao posted:

You have to email their support and beg and plead to get it put up for redownload.
Weird. I don't know what I'm thinking about then, because it's worked like that for me before.

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

$ watch the money pile up $
When I'm on the iPhone itself it just lets me redownload. On my PC it wants me to pay again. That's loving ridiculous.

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

Casao posted:

This I did.
And I got the games this time, but I have to backup the games myself if I want to keep them the next time I format.

Thanks! :)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Ok, half iTunes half Front Row - does any one know of a way to get album art into Front Row on a shared Library? I've got all my music on my desktop and I'm sharing it via iTunes for front row, but it has no album art. Considering I've put a lot of effort into getting artwork for everything in my library, this is a bit vexing. Is there any kind of addon or 3rd party program I could use to put the album art in the stream?

Barring that, what's the best way to sync a library between a Windows desktop and an OSX desktop. They're right next to each other and I'd like something automated that would keep the Mac's library up to date with the Windows one. I'd actually prefer if it copied the files over instead of playing them via share, but it's an acceptable cost if that's not possible.

The Windows library is unmanaged, as in I take care of file/folder structure. The OSX one can be either, whichever works better.

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003
Oompa Loompa Extraordinarie
This thread has some great info about smart playlists. Just got my iphone a few days ago and confused about several things.

1. Winamp adds several gb of "other" stuff on my iphone when I try to add music. WTF?
Background: I have music at home and at work that I need to move around. I don't care about library functionality - I'd just like to drag and drop whatever music/podcasts I need. At home, I use itunes at home but not at work (because it doesn't let me pair without clearing all the content). So I'm forced to use winamp. This process is flakey at best. Sometimes it works and othertimes, I just end up losing everything on my iphone and have to reformat it. How do people usually deal with having two machines they need to use with their ipod?

2. Crossfading takes too long in tunes.
Background: Syncing takes too long because itunes spends time trying to setup my tracks to crossfade. I never use this and I can't find how to disable this somewhere.

Love my iphone to death but just unsure what the best way is to go about setting up my music.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Rakshas posted:

2. Crossfading takes too long in tunes.

Crossfading? Do you mean gapless playback? iTunes only analyzes your songs once, when you add them. If you wait for it to finish, it won't do it again. Another thing it analyzes is volume level for soundcheck, which can be turned off in preferences, but I think it'll still examine new files. Neither of these have anything to do with syncing, but they will show up in the bar at the top when they're being processed.

On the Winamp thing, why can't you use manual management mode on the iPhone to drop songs on it from multiple computers? It's something like 'disable automatic syncing' . Disclaimer: I haven't tried it.

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003

chimz posted:

Crossfading? Do you mean gapless playback?

Oh yeah that's what I mean. It's just something I never use and would prefer that time not be wasted on it.

chimz posted:

On the Winamp thing, why can't you use manual management mode on the iPhone to drop songs on it from multiple computers? It's something like 'disable automatic syncing' . Disclaimer: I haven't tried it.

I opened up itunes at work with my ipod plugged in and it said it would have to delete all my files to setup the pairing.

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Rakshas posted:

Oh yeah that's what I mean. It's just something I never use and would prefer that time not be wasted on it.

Do you own or are you ever going to listen to Dark Side of the Moon? If so, you need gapless playback. Even if you don't, it's just going to use up free CPU cycles while it's processing then it'll be done. Shouldn't take more than a few hours if you have an ungodly huge library.

Rakshas posted:

I opened up itunes at work with my ipod plugged in and it said it would have to delete all my files to setup the pairing.

Did you check manually manage music and video on the iPhone sync screen? Also, uncheck automatically sync, and on the work computer you don't need to sync anything because you'll just be drag and dropping, so it's probably warning you about overwriting your address book or calendar and not your music.

Disclaimer part 2: I haven't tried this but theoretically it should work.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Two questions:

1. How to simulate the iPod shuffle on a normal iPod: I used to make heavy use of the Shuffles "give me X songs from this playlist" feature, but how I can implement that on a normal iPod escapes me. Making a smart playlist with a size limit and select randomly works fine initially but it doesn't update. I tried other playlists with tracks with lowest play count / longest time since played etc. but that tends to give me mixes I don't like. Ideas?

2. My girlfriend and I have a classic two body / one music collection problem. We don't want to hold separate music collections, but also don't want to put the music in one account. I did a clever hack with symbolic links pointing to the same iTunes library once, which was a so-so solution. We couldn't use iTunes at the same time, and ran into problems with podcasts (one of us listens to a podcast and it's marked as played for both of us). Ideas? We have a spare Mac sitting around, so would it make sense to set that up on the home network and share it's music library? Does that work with iPods or is there a better server solution?

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003

chimz posted:

Did you check manually manage music and video on the iPhone sync screen? Also, uncheck automatically sync, and on the work computer you don't need to sync anything because you'll just be drag and dropping, so it's probably warning you about overwriting your address book or calendar and not your music.

I tried what you said at work but it still asked me to restore. Now I brought it home and it wants to restore there too. I loving hate iTunes so bad right now.

Edit: I waited 5 minutes and tried again, and turns out itunes is on speaking terms with my iphone again. HUZZAH! What the gently caress is this?

Rakshas fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 22, 2009

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
OK, so I just started playing around with iTunes a little more seriously, setting up a whole bunch of playlists to make sifting through stuff easier. However, something really weird has happened when I have things sorted by album in gallery view, and go into a particular album:

Click here for the full 1222x544 image.

Seems like every data column has disappeared. I can add some columns back in, but there's no option for song title, among a couple others. It works just fine with every other possible viewing option, but I use the album gallery view, so I'm kind of annoyed. Anyone know of a way to reset this?

Baldrash fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Crossposting in the Mac hardware thread just in case, but..

I just recently had my Superdrive replaced for what was thought to be a hardware problem but now it seems it might not be. The past four albums I've physically bought have all had some sort of problem importing.

First was Anberlin - New Surrender. The first time I put it in my Macbook it wouldn't recognize it at all. After I ejected and put it back in it recognized it but wouldn't import any of the tracks.

Second was Jack's Mannequin - The Glass Passenger. My Macbook never recognized that one no matter how many times I ejected and reinserted or restarted the Macbook. Still hasn't recognized it since I bought it.

Three was Underoath - Lost In the Sound of Seperation. This one recognized and imported all tracks, but two tracks had maybe about five instances of the tracks skipping.

Four was Fall Out Boy - Folie A Deux, it recognizes and imports but as of right now I'm on track six and it's been importing for 40 minutes. This is the same exact thing it did on this disc before I took it to the Apple store to get the Superdrive replaced.

When I took it to the Apple store, the Genius tried with burned discs and they imported just fine. No problems at all. I'm sure when they tested after replacing the drive it was a burned disc too. When any retail discs are used though I seem to have something go wrong. Its really loving annoying. Could it be an iTunes problem? Should I bother to uninstall / reinstall iTunes? Any suggestions would be awesome.

Edit: It just now on track five decided to pretend to import while not actually creating a song. The song's that it's making now all say Not Available. I just force quit out of iTunes. Ugh.

1997 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 22, 2009