Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

NicktheBishop posted:

Don't skip Emperor.

Yeah, early Emperor is choice. The first two albums are among my favorite of the whole genre, even though my young death metal ears sure hated it when it first came out. Emperor's always had their own approach to the "symphonic" style anyway. It's a long way from Noktunral Mortum or Dimmu Borgir.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Exploring the classics also means checking out some Bathory. This is foundational stuff. Dirty, hellbound, epic, with disastrous vocals that somehow make the whole thing greater. At least check out Under the Sign of the Black Mark and Blood Fire Death.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Qu Appelle posted:

Lately, he's been combining the two, which I'm sure is going to open a black hole somewhere.

Yup, he has. And his most recent album was pretty solid.

Qu Appelle posted:

I need to check out Windir, I need new music :geno:

I'd recommend Soknardalar or Arntor to start with. If you like what you hear, branch out to the other full-length Windir albums. And if you just can't get enough Windir, you're in luck, because there are several bands that sound a lot like Windir. Cor Scorpii and Mistur are the two most similar.

quote:

Noktunral Mortum

Lunar Poetry is brilliant; it's too bad they had to go all NSBM on their full-lengths.

Edit:

Groke posted:

Exploring the classics also means checking out some Bathory. This is foundational stuff. Dirty, hellbound, epic, with disastrous vocals that somehow make the whole thing greater. At least check out Under the Sign of the Black Mark and Blood Fire Death.

Yes, Bathory is a must.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sarcofago, too. I wish someone had told me about Sarcofago when I was first learning about black metal.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Cold Day posted:

Agreeing with Kaiho here, Carpathian Forest have a very good chronological sound change. I recommend "Through Chasm, Caves And Titan Woods (EP)" and "Defending The Throne Of Evil"

Although your just starting out in black metal, Clogproof Orifice, I'd skip the boring Symphonic stuff like Emperor and go straight into Mayhem, Taake, Peste Noire, Behexen, Beherit, Tsjuder. Those bands are a good indication of what it should really sound like(disregarding Thrash/Doom/whatever BM) :)

As you said your a fan of the 'repetitive' aspect of it, so go with Hate Forest, Blood Of Kingu, Darkspace.

Never listen to a man who says to ignore Emperor

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 22, 2009

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Except about listening to Carpathian Forest because that poo poo is sick.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 23, 2020

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Morbid Florist posted:

Never listen to a man who says to ignore Emperor
What if you're at a party and Emperor is drunk and being really annoying

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Misogynist posted:

What if you're at a party and Emperor is drunk and being really annoying

Let gaahl tie them up and beat them for days in his house

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Just saw this on Blabbermouth searching for the Gorgoroth trial news:

Wardruna - Dagr (Live)

I think it's pretty neat. Not "metal" per se, but maybe metal by association...?

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what

Any Old Irony posted:

Sarcofago, too.

Bathory, Sarcofago, Venom, Celtic Frost and Hellhammer should all be checked out as thrash that led to the world of black metal. Those five really go hand in hand any time I think of foundation black metal.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
All of you should probably also listen to Tormentor's Anno Domini.

Just because it is pretty good.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Qu Appelle posted:

I need to check out Windir, I need new music :geno:

Likferd is the best album. It's like the Filosofem of black metal :smug:

Razor posted:

it's too bad they had to go all NSBM on their full-lengths.

But...that just makes the music better!

HorrorJunkie
Dec 12, 2006

My heart's as full as a baked potato!

Any Old Irony posted:

Sarcofago, too. I wish someone had told me about Sarcofago when I was first learning about black metal.

And Vulcano.

Also, I'm surprised Mr. Bling didn't mention them but Countess, Countess, Countess, you can never go wrong with Countess.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Not Very Metal posted:

Just saw this on Blabbermouth searching for the Gorgoroth trial news:

Wardruna - Dagr (Live)

I think it's pretty neat. Not "metal" per se, but maybe metal by association...?

I got to listen to all of this album. It's worth getting. I was skeptical how they could claim to PLAY fire, but gently caress me, they did and you can definitely tell when you hear it.

The vocals can get very old very quickly but all in all this is a pretty cool idea they've come up with.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I listened to it on their MySpace page, and I'll probably pick it up next week after I get paid. I've got a buddy from Poland who is really into BM. His friends will buy albums there and ship them to him (and therefore me too) here in the states for cheap - awesome.

Satyricon is playing Detroit tonight but I can't go. Unfortunately I'm required to attend my girl's grandparents 50th anniversary party.

:suicide:

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

Satyricon is playing Detroit tonight but I can't go. Unfortunately I'm required to attend my girl's grandparents 50th anniversary party.

Time to get a new girl.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Not Very Metal posted:

:suicide:
I missed Estradasphere a few years ago because I had already committed to bring a girl to see Teddybears the same night :(

They didn't play any of their Teddybears STHLM grindcore stuff :( :(

We got really drunk and stumbled to a french fry dive in the Village though :unsmith:

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Misogynist posted:

I missed Estradasphere a few years ago because I had already committed to bring a girl to see Teddybears the same night :(

They didn't play any of their Teddybears STHLM grindcore stuff :( :(

We got really drunk and stumbled to a french fry dive in the Village though :unsmith:

Jesusfuck, that's what, like a triple bummer? That sucks man, but you got drunk, and that's always good.

In fact, that's one of two things that will make the night not a total loss for me.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

Satyricon is playing Detroit tonight but I can't go.

Are they letting Frost into the US yet or do they play with a substitute drummer again?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Groke posted:

Are they letting Frost into the US yet or do they play with a substitute drummer again?

You know, I'm not sure. The last I heard about Frost is that he was working with Ghaal and King for their new Gorgoroth album (yessss). 1349 has been in the states as recent as September of last year, but they used Tony Laureano.

I don't have time to really explore Satyricon's website before I leave, but I would bet they'll use Trym Torson or Joey Jordison like they have in the past.

So, yeah. Not sure, but probably some substitute.

Ein Windir
Jun 23, 2008

Morbid Florist posted:

Let gaahl tie them up and beat them for days in his house

Then collect their blood in a cup. Thats a very important part to miss. :colbert:

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Okay so if I decide to explore further Sigh releases where should I go next? One of the "H" albums?

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Openknees posted:

Okay so if I decide to explore further Sigh releases where should I go next? One of the "H" albums?

OH GOD, get Hangman's Hymn right the gently caress now!

It's fantastic!

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
IMO Infidel Art, Imaginary Sonicscape, Scorn Defeat, and Scenario IV are Sigh's best, in that order. I cannot even stand to listen to Hangman's Hymn for more than 5 minutes, but a lot of people like it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
In my mind, the best Sigh album is undoubtedly Hail Horror Hail.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

You know, I'm not sure. The last I heard about Frost is that he was working with Ghaal and King for their new Gorgoroth album (yessss). 1349 has been in the states as recent as September of last year, but they used Tony Laureano.

I don't have time to really explore Satyricon's website before I leave, but I would bet they'll use Trym Torson or Joey Jordison like they have in the past.

So, yeah. Not sure, but probably some substitute.

It has been documented and now confirmed by chubby metal goons that Frost is stateside with a rather daper looking Satyr for Satyricon's current US tour opening for Cradle of Filth.

Baron Von Ghoulosh fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 26, 2009

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

I know nothing about the guys in satyricon but whoever that is on the left is seriously creeping me out. The guy looks like a tranny or a pod-clone.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Morbid Florist posted:

I know nothing about the guys in satyricon but whoever that is on the left is seriously creeping me out. The guy looks like a tranny or a pod-clone.

I instantly saw Michael Jackson...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

deltawing posted:

I instantly saw Michael Jackson...
Oh god why :(

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

At least part of Frost's :wtf: factor comes from the cat-eye contacts.

Oh and the vaguely effeminate voice.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It has been documented and now confirmed by chubby metal goons that Frost is stateside with a rather daper looking Satyr for Satyricon's current US tour opening for Cradle of Filth.

Well, there you have it then. And yeah, that's Frost on the left. I had the same reaction when I first saw him without paint on. Nearly every other BM musician looks normal, not Frost. Not Frost.

Oh, is that you Baron?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

Well, there you have it then. And yeah, that's Frost on the left. I had the same reaction when I first saw him without paint on. Nearly every other BM musician looks normal, not Frost. Not Frost.

Well, he mostly stays in the background anyway, leaving Satyr's inflated ego free to grab all the attention.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Not Very Metal posted:

Oh, is that you Baron?

No. Evidently, that's a dude that attended one of the first shows of the tour several nights ago. I'm going to the Asheville gig towards the end of Feb.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

No. Evidently, that's a dude that attended one of the first shows of the tour several nights ago. I'm going to the Asheville gig towards the end of Feb.

Oh really? I'll be there too.

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

I honestly don't know if it's just me that sees this.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

i don't know who that is but there is a bit of a resemblance.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Any Old Irony posted:

Agreed. Though, "Imaginary Sonicscapes" is a close second for me.

Hail Horror Hail
Jan 28, 2009

Any Old Irony posted:

Hi.

Razor posted:

Lunar Poetry is brilliant; it's too bad they had to go all NSBM on their full-lengths.

A favorite of mine is Twilightfall. For those who prefer Lunar Poetry over everything later they did, check it out if you haven't already. It's a bit more mid-paced and death metal-ish, same rear end-kickery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

On the Satyricon DVD Frost struck me as less-than-sane. I love his work and everything, but he's definitely a weird one.