Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Brock Landers posted:

The M52TU did have a double VANOS issue that presents itself on cold days. The RPMS fluctuate from normal idle to almost stalling until the car warms up. The VANOS needs to be replaced ($500 part, dealership special tools to install) or the seals in the VANOS need to be replaced. Details here: http://www.beisansystems.com/

The M54 apparently has the same issue with the seals, but has DME programming to avoid the fluctuating idle.

I helped my dad replace those seals and the hose about a month ago. He was having that exact problem. To be honest, it was a rather easy install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well wish me luck, my wife and I are flying down to SF in an hour to pick up a gorgeous 91 318iS and drive it all the way back up the Oregon coast to Seattle.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
label switching is fun. i can relate to that.

BraveUlysses posted:

well wish me luck, my wife and I are flying down to SF in an hour to pick up a gorgeous 91 318iS and drive it all the way back up the Oregon coast to Seattle.

Best of luck. Those are incredibly fun cars.

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

Welp. Replaced it and still no power steering. I wish I had a camera on me, it blued the inner portion of the pulley, the belt had nubs and is missing half of them, it's worn down to the fibers in some places, it's cracked and has a really nice ridge on it from the bearing race.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

Xenoid posted:

What is the reason for this? Computers required for things or what? I know BMWs require "special tools" at times, but on my E39 for a clutch job they either weren't required or could be easily substituted for other things, such as a block of 2x4.

It's not so much of a special tools issue as a complexity issue. Diagnosing is extremely difficult, even if it ends up being a nuts and bolts job. And even if you are able to properly diagnose a problem without access to an advanced diagnostic tool, you'll still likely end up needing one. For example, replacing what you would think is a simple mechanical component, such as the active sway bar, requires an initialization routine accessed through external software.

Also, many, many issues with these cars come down to software glitches, which are corrected through vehicle reprogramming.

It's sad, but the days of being able to fix almost any problem on a BMW in your garage are over (barring oil changes, brakes and the usual maintenance). This is why I own an E30.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

BraveUlysses posted:

Yay! Another '91 318iS owner! I think that makes 4 now. What color is yours and does it have the LSD?

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
Got my UUC flywheel & M5 clutch/pp setup today for my project car. I should be actually posting up a bunch of pictures come this time next weekend. I'm waiting on a complete gasket set for the M52 to come from AutohausAZ.com, before I start buttoning everything together. Also, I'm on the fence about the head. I have an M52B28 that I'm swapping M3 cams into before I put it into the E30. Should I go ahead and have the head checked at a machine shop while it's off?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

multiprotocol posted:

Should I go ahead and have the head checked at a machine shop while it's off?

If you're just checking to see if it's level then just use a straight edge and see measure the gap between the straight edge and head with some feeler gauges. Compare to the BMW shop manual to see if it exceeds tolerances.

If you want to up the CR then yeah, go get it machined and pick a suitable MLS head gasket thickness to replace it.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

If you're just checking to see if it's level then just use a straight edge and see measure the gap between the straight edge and head with some feeler gauges. Compare to the BMW shop manual to see if it exceeds tolerances.

If you want to up the CR then yeah, go get it machined and pick a suitable MLS head gasket thickness to replace it.

Not wanting to change the CR, just basically freshen the head (replace valve stem seals, etc) while it's off the block prior to getting it into the car. I'm installing ARP head studs, so taking the head out post-install might be a bit tricky. I know it would be in an E36, maybe not so tricky in an E30.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

multiprotocol posted:

Not wanting to change the CR, just basically freshen the head (replace valve stem seals, etc) while it's off the block prior to getting it into the car. I'm installing ARP head studs, so taking the head out post-install might be a bit tricky. I know it would be in an E36, maybe not so tricky in an E30.

If you just want to do valve seals you don't need a machine shop, that's something you can do in your garage. Just get an overhead valve compressor from harbor freight and go to town, just make sure to label and bag everything/replace with new.

EL Bombastico
Oct 13, 2004

* power up
how bad is the rear subframe tearing issue on the E46 M3 made out to be? i'm looking a 01 M3 with 80k miles equipped with H&R coilovers. i plan on getting a PPI done at Evosport.

according to the owner, the Inspection I and II (with value adjustment) at 67k miles. the rod bearing recall has also been done on the car. the original owner ( i would be the 3rd owner) has also changed the water pump as well. should i be worrying about the clutch with this amount of miles? are cars with aftermarket suspension more susceptible to the subfram issue?

i've been driving my S2000 almost daily for 3 years now and i think its time for a change.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Aquila posted:

So a coworker is interested in the X6 for some reason. I've heard they have atrocious reliability or something, anyone have any info on this? I'm trying to push him towards and M3 or S5 instead.

We've sold a few. Our demo ended up needing a high pressure fuel pump due to overnight fuel bleed down, but other than that, they have been fine. I drove one from hear (Va beach) to Raleigh without any problems and it was a great ride as well.

Seeing how the X6 is based of the E70, which has turned out a pretty alright car (after its teething issues).

Guinness posted:

Haven't they only been on the market for like less than a month. Isn't it a little early to start declaring them atrociously unreliable?

Actually, its been out for almost a year now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Brock Landers posted:

Yay! Another '91 318iS owner! I think that makes 4 now. What color is yours and does it have the LSD?

Brilliantrot on tan vinyl interior, 115k, LSD.
$3900 + ~$350 expenses for airfare, beer, gas, food, ect.

We drove all the way from Petaluma to Eureka, stayed for the night and then headed up the 101 all the way to Lincoln city, which is where I gave up fighting the Priuses and RVs and headed to I-5 up to Everett.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Babe approved

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
What's the consensus on turbo S52s?
I have a line on a sedan in town that already has the suspension I want, but it is also turbo'd.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Brilliantrot on tan vinyl interior, 115k, LSD.
$3900 + ~$350 expenses for airfare, beer, gas, food, ect.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

Twins!

I paid the same price, albeit with more miles, but a complete service history and a set of Bilsteins. Enjoy the car, they are an absolute blast.

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
Posting this again...

Xenoid posted:

Been searching BMW forums and I can't find help regarding it. My 97 540i has a problem where, when the heat is blowing, there is no warm/hot air coming out the vent in the backseat. Only cold air. What could be the reason for this? I'm assuming it involves ripping apart that center console so I thought I'd find out what I'm dealing with here first.

And I'm also having another issue! When I am in the last few feet of coasting to a stop I push the clutch in and for some reason my car is magically stalling at some point in time while this is happening. It's a pain in the rear end and dangerous because I can't turn anymore. What the poo poo is happening? This is not a common thing but it has happened maybe once every two times I drive the car.

Xenoid fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 21, 2009

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
I had something similar in my E30, it would stall when coming to a stop. For mine, a vacuum hose connected to the fuel pressure regulator was bad, I replaced it and now Im good. Of course my car is way older.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Holy crap guys, someone is giving away a FREE M3 on Craigslist. Someone jump on this!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Pissingintowind posted:

Holy crap guys, someone is giving away a FREE M3 on Craigslist. Someone jump on this!

I see a perfectly good tie rod!

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

CornHolio posted:

I see a perfectly good tie rod!

Hell, I'd take the entire steering rack!

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

I wonder how many responses he's gotten from people asking if it still runs.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Anyone happen to know what size or type of steering wheel hub would be in my e34? I would like to get something a little smaller that doesn't block the OBC or my view of the road, isn't 8 million degrees when left in the sun, and isn't so drat ugly. Googling finds me tons of directions of how to do it, but not what size or kind I will need.

Oh I just thought about the stupid SRS light. Is that something that can be fooled with a resistor, or throwing a gutted airbag under my dash or something?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Lowclock posted:

Oh I just thought about the stupid SRS light. Is that something that can be fooled with a resistor, or throwing a gutted airbag under my dash or something?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=965307

A 3.3 Ohm resister (which you won't find at your local radioshack) works. You can also use three 10 Ohm resistors in parallel, those you will be able to find at your local radioshack.

autofella
Jun 3, 2008
I was about to pose a serious E38 question until I read about throwing a gutted airbag under the dash. Thanks for the advice on the neons, I decided to just run flex hose to the side pipes and opt for the Cragar S/S mags with the multi bolt pattern since Summit doesn't sell them in metric.

Who sells fiberglass flares for '01 7-series? I got some Hijackers on order. Also looking for a real good airbrusher to grace my ride with a fantasy mural of a hot lady riding a giant kitten.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Brock Landers posted:

Twins!

I paid the same price, albeit with more miles, but a complete service history and a set of Bilsteins. Enjoy the car, they are an absolute blast.

Well your car looks like a much better deal, mine is already pissing oil. Oil pan coming off Saturday.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of red E30s, there is a gorgeous looking E30 for sale near me:

http://tinyurl.com/bnlw9o

I don't know if it has service records and I haven't visited it personally, but assuming it doesn't have any records what would be a reasonable price to offer?

edit: I also noticed a little bit of rust behind one of the wheels.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 23, 2009

maxallen
Nov 22, 2006

CornHolio posted:

Speaking of red E30s, there is a gorgeous looking E30 for sale near me:

http://tinyurl.com/bnlw9o

I don't know if it has service records and I haven't visited it personally, but assuming it doesn't have any records what would be a reasonable price to offer?

Weren't you told to find something that was both cheap AND reliable? An 18 year old E30 is not going to do that.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

maxallen posted:

Weren't you told to find something that was both cheap AND reliable? An 18 year old E30 is not going to do that.

Are E30s money pits? I was under the impression they were quite reliable and that parts were fairly cheap as long as you didn't go through the dealer.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Well your car looks like a much better deal, mine is already pissing oil. Oil pan coming off Saturday.

Oooo... sounds like the oil pan shifted on you. It's easy to bottom out these cars on the lower oil pan, causing the pan to shift and the seal to break. It's a common problem with the M42 engine. Be sure a check the oil pump bolts as they like to back out and cause the engine to poo poo itself. Lots of people remove the lower pan only to find several pump bolts just lying there. More info here: http://www.mwerks.com/artman/publish/features/printer_1089.shtml

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Are E30s money pits? I was under the impression they were quite reliable and that parts were fairly cheap as long as you didn't go through the dealer.

"Reliable" and "reliable for an 18-year-old car" are two very different things.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

This, pretty much. The E30 is a very overbuilt car and will take lots of abuse. But 18 years is plenty of time for it to be abused. If you're willing to replace wear items and deal with things before they become problems, it won't strand you and will start and run fine every time.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

TheMadMilkman posted:

Well yes but I don't think I'm going to be able to get a car 95+ for the price range I'm working in, at least something thats in good running order. And besides, I think I'd rather not, since I'd prefer something much easier to work on and easier to find parts in a junkyard (or online) or.

Though if E30s aren't as good as I thought they were I'll avoid them.

Brock Landers posted:

This, pretty much. The E30 is a very overbuilt car and will take lots of abuse. But 18 years is plenty of time for it to be abused. If you're willing to replace wear items and deal with things before they become problems, it won't strand you and will start and run fine every time.

This is what I thought. I plan on keeping the car for at least four years (maybe longer) and I can (and do) replace wear items on my E36 so that shouldn't be a problem. I even already have a Peake Research scan tool that would work on an E30 so that would help a bit as well.

multiprotocol
Sep 16, 2004
E30s are fine, but they need to be given the care and respect due an 18+ year old car. Specifically, every single bit of rubber should likely be replaced, and wear parts inspected closely.

Overall, the M20 and M42 engines were remarkably well built. Downside is that you do have to adjust valve lash yourself on the M20s, instead of relying on the hydraulic lifters in the M50 series.

That 318is linked above looks very nice. Maybe a wee bit high on the price, but depends on the area. It'll sip gas. But check for extensive rust - look under the battery tray if you can, or near rocker panels. If you don't find rust there, you've likely got a solid car.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

multiprotocol posted:

E30s are fine, but they need to be given the care and respect due an 18+ year old car. Specifically, every single bit of rubber should likely be replaced, and wear parts inspected closely.

Overall, the M20 and M42 engines were remarkably well built. Downside is that you do have to adjust valve lash yourself on the M20s, instead of relying on the hydraulic lifters in the M50 series.

That 318is linked above looks very nice. Maybe a wee bit high on the price, but depends on the area. It'll sip gas. But check for extensive rust - look under the battery tray if you can, or near rocker panels. If you don't find rust there, you've likely got a solid car.

I love my 318IS, but just one quick thing, it does not really sip gas. I get 20mpg city and have gotten as high as 27mpg for all highway driving, but I have only been able to get that high once. I always calculate my MPG when I fill up and its usually 20mpg, 22ish in the summer.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I had no problem hitting 30mpg flogging my 318iS up the coast along the 101 last week. I got 29mpg driving 70-75 the rest of the way back.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

I had no problem hitting 30mpg flogging my 318iS up the coast along the 101 last week. I got 29mpg driving 70-75 the rest of the way back.

That sounds like highway though. Does yours have a 4.10 rear end gear? Perhaps something is wrong with my car too, causing excessive fuel usage. Sounds like I have some research to do though.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

Dyscrasia posted:

That sounds like highway though. Does yours have a 4.10 rear end gear? Perhaps something is wrong with my car too, causing excessive fuel usage. Sounds like I have some research to do though.

Don't worry. If you have the 4.10 gears, you won't be "sipping" gas. That's what I have and I'll see about 27-28 highway, 20ish city. I usually average 22-23 mixed.

EDIT: I have the original window sticker and it lists mileage as 21 city, 27 highway.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
sigh, makes me really wonder if I have the limited slip or not.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Holy poo poo, I just got back from shopping for a WRX with my friend, and the guy who's car we looked had some buddies over, and boy were there some impressive cars. A 911 GT3, 911 Turbo, flawless E30 M3, flawless E28 M5, E39 M5, and RX-7 race car.

If my friend ends up buying the WRX, I'll ask for some pictures of the E30 - that thing was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Brock Landers posted:

Don't worry. If you have the 4.10 gears, you won't be "sipping" gas. That's what I have and I'll see about 27-28 highway, 20ish city. I usually average 22-23 mixed.

EDIT: I have the original window sticker and it lists mileage as 21 city, 27 highway.

Yea, that sounds in line with what I get. I thought all of the 318IS's had 4.10 LSD's, so I was confused about BraveUlysses's gas mileage.