Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Specialbear
Jan 6, 2007
Not that type of special

The Duke posted:

I just finished season 2 and several moments made me laugh out loud in their absurdity. Ava Moore turning out to be the "ultimate transexual" and the scene with Sean raping the real doll stand out in particular. Oh and the Carver is kind of cool, too.

I think the problem is that the overlying arch of Season 1 and the sudden branching to Season 2.

I absolutely LOVED Season 1 when I first saw it and was amazingly bored when starting to view Season 2. The only times I perked up was when the Barksdale parts came back into focus. However, after the second and third viewing, Season 2 is arguably one of the best seasons, in my opinion.

Edit:

So I just started watching the Shield and Season 1 is incredible so far. Can I expect this to continue??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Specialbear posted:

So I just started watching the Shield and Season 1 is incredible so far. Can I expect this to continue??

The Shield gets less "realistic" as the series goes on, but that's about its only fault. There's a bit of a temporary drop in quality during Season Three (the writers attempted to stretch out the plot-arc for a few additional episodes and it shows), but everything else is great, especially Season Two which makes some of what happened in Season One look like Disneyland by comparison.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

Specialbear posted:

Every season builds on the events of the past and eventually the poo poo has to go down, and it does, and it's awesome.

sweeptheleg
Nov 26, 2007
Binged through Mad Men recently. Not sure why it took me so long to watch, but I was not disappointed.

thizzmalion
Jan 4, 2009

by Ozma
Freaks and Geeks, and I really don't see why everybody gets all hot and bothered over it. Most of the time it's bullshit dramatic crap or way too cheesy.

Also, seriously, gently caress deadheads. gently caress them.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
How I Met You Are Mother. A friend had been bugging me to watch this stupid show for like two years and I always said no, but I finally gave in and watched the first 3 1/2 seasons in a week. It's a cool show, not great but you know better than other laugh track sitcoms. I wish there wasn't a laugh track but it's not too bad, they don't use anything other than a basic laugh.

thizzmalion posted:

Freaks and Geeks, and I really don't see why everybody gets all hot and bothered over it. Most of the time it's bullshit dramatic crap or way too cheesy.
no

pwn fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 25, 2009

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.

thizzmalion posted:

I just finished Freaks and Geeks and honestly, it's in my top 5 favorite shows ever now. There is nothing about that show that wasn't either hilarious or touching.

And I'm starting How I Met Your Mother Now. I've only gotten through the first disc of Season 1, but it's really good and makes me wish I had actually kept on watching it when it first came out.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I haven't been going overly fast, but I've just finished the final series of Red Dwarf. It's a fantastic show, and it ends on an absolutely perfect note. I can't wait for the specials on 'Dave', even though I don't actually have it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finished going through Generation Kill this past week. That was some good poo poo. Ziggy's redemption!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

thizzmalion posted:

:regd09: :dogout:

Show's one of the more believable period dramas that I know of, and it actually uses age-appropriate actors, so...

Kirbdog
Oct 16, 2007
Pike-fiyah!
I've also been binging through The Wire lately. I'm halfway through season 2 and apparently I've just gotten over the worst of what the series has to offer. I can't believe the consensus seems to be that season 2 is the slowest, I thought it was some of the most engaging TV I've ever seen. There's always some crazy hyperbole flying back and forth about The Wire but I think it's completely warranted.

I fell in love with this show in episode 3 of season 1, when Omar steal's Avon's money from D'angelo's crew and shoots one of them in the leg . The slow buildup of tension from the first two episodes seemed to come together in that one scene. So badass.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The second season of The Wire is my favorite :colbert: Though season 4 is pretty close, too.

Longinus
Jan 4, 2003
Wil is Nil
I am watching Twin Peaks, I don't get this show. Some say its one of the best shows on TV but something isn't clicking for me.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend
I suddenly feel like going through Band of Brothers again.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
My wife rented the first season of Chuck on a whim. In the course of a few days, we've plowed through 1.5 out of 2 seasons. Fun show.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

JustV posted:

The Shield gets less "realistic" as the series goes on, but that's about its only fault. There's a bit of a temporary drop in quality during Season Three (the writers attempted to stretch out the plot-arc for a few additional episodes and it shows), but everything else is great, especially Season Two which makes some of what happened in Season One look like Disneyland by comparison.

I just finished Season 5 last night, and I've been buzzing all day from how loving intense this show is. Unfortunately the s5 finale had been spoiled for me, but it was so emotional and tense even knowing beforehand what happens. It's probably the only show I have ever seen that starts off great and consistently builds in awesomeness every season. Really looking forward to more Mackey v Kavanaugh in season 6 with Aceveda as a wildcard, Claudette running the barn and Shane trying to cover up Lem's murder.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Plowing through The Wire S2 and wow, if this is the worst season my brain is going to explode when I watch S3-5 because I am loving S2 so far!

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
It's not the worst. I think some people (including me) didn't like it the first time through because it was a big jump in theme. We were expecting too see some more gangsters and got some white dock workers instead.

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!
I just recently started watching BSG and managed to finish the first season over the course of the past week. I've been pleasantly surprised by how awesome it is because I'm generally not that big of a fan of sci-fi shows. I really like how there seems to be more of a focus on the human aspect of the show as opposed to having a bunch of goofy Muppet aliens running around.

I started season 2 last night and I'm already psyched for all things to come henceforth. Where does the BSG movie Razor fit into the whole scheme of things? Should I watch it after I finish everything else or at a particular point during the show's run?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dayewalker posted:

I just recently started watching BSG and managed to finish the first season over the course of the past week. I've been pleasantly surprised by how awesome it is because I'm generally not that big of a fan of sci-fi shows. I really like how there seems to be more of a focus on the human aspect of the show as opposed to having a bunch of goofy Muppet aliens running around.

I started season 2 last night and I'm already psyched for all things to come henceforth. Where does the BSG movie Razor fit into the whole scheme of things? Should I watch it after I finish everything else or at a particular point during the show's run?
Razor is mostly flashback stories, but you should watch it after season 3 and before season 4 (technically it counts as the first few episodes of season 4).

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
I agree that it's definitely best to watch it after season 3, but chronologically, it fits in after "The Captain's Hand" and before "Lay Down Your Burdens," so technically you can watch it anytime in there.

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!

Nate RFB posted:

Razor is mostly flashback stories, but you should watch it after season 3 and before season 4 (technically it counts as the first few episodes of season 4).

Count Choculitis posted:

I agree that it's definitely best to watch it after season 3, but chronologically, it fits in after "The Captain's Hand" and before "Lay Down Your Burdens," so technically you can watch it anytime in there.

Thanks guys. I had asked a friend of mine the same question, but his response didn't make as much sense as what you two said. I'll just watch it after season 3.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
Just binged through three seasons of Weeds in three days. This show is way better than I thought it would be.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Without spoiling any plot details, does anyone know what made Aaron Sorkin leave West Wing around season five? I'm going through it now, and obviously, I'd like the scoop.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I've recently watched the first two seasons of Six Feet Under. Really great show, one of the best I've ever seen. There's no weak link in the cast, and nothing has come off as poorly written, acted or directed to me. That said, and this is no slight on the actress, Claire's constant pushing away of everything is tiresome - does she ever lighten up? Otherwise, great show, and fantastic ending to season 2.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Claire does mellow out a lot over the series.

Mrens
Feb 21, 2004

Battlestar Galactica, I missed it the first time around. But bought season 1-3 in the last month. Annoyed to see Hulu or ScFi's sight only have the latest 3 episodes of season 4 so I'm gonna have to wait until it is on DVD if I want to watch them in order, which I definitely do.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Longinus posted:

I am watching Twin Peaks, I don't get this show. Some say its one of the best shows on TV but something isn't clicking for me.

How far are you? It takes a few episodes to really get the feel of the show. The characters become more endearing, the mysteries become more convoluted and interesting, and the whole show takes on a whole different feel.

Noby Goatse Boy
Mar 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump
I'm going through Civilisation with Kenneth Clark. I don't understand the thesis - like a romantic view of European art history. Really great panoramic shots of a lot of art, architecture, landscapes. Euro-centric for sure.

Noby Goatse Boy
Mar 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump
Twin Peaks you get slowly into it. Just keep watching.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Mrens posted:

Battlestar Galactica, I missed it the first time around. But bought season 1-3 in the last month. Annoyed to see Hulu or ScFi's sight only have the latest 3 episodes of season 4 so I'm gonna have to wait until it is on DVD if I want to watch them in order, which I definitely do.

The first ten episodes of season 4 are out on DVD.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Numb3rs. I caught one of the newer episodes on TV recently and decided to watch it from the beginning. I'll probably end up buying the new season on DVD if I hear good things.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

pwn posted:

I wish there wasn't a laugh track but it's not too bad, they don't use anything other than a basic laugh.

the hell are you talking about

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008
Before the semester started I tried to see how much Transformers I could watch. Got through five shows, with my highest amount of episodes in one day being 25 episodes of Transformers: Cybertron.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

StyleFresh posted:

Numb3rs. I caught one of the newer episodes on TV recently and decided to watch it from the beginning. I'll probably end up buying the new season on DVD if I hear good things.

Numbers is good for the csi style mysteries, and the character development which had been relegated to the secondary cast has finaly started in earnest with the main cast in the last season and the current. Unlike CSI and it's ilk, it isn't always the recognizable guest star who is the culprit.

Personally though, I just burned through all the House MD series. Apparantly I went through season 4 so fast I never developed a hatred of 'thirteen',although that might be residual lust from her having been Marissa Cooper's lesbian lover in the O.C.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I'm about halfway done with season 2 of Carnivāle and I know I'm going to be mad as hell at HBO again when I finish this. It's masochistic really.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

StyleFresh posted:

I find it incredibly bland, and its implementation of mathematics seems utterly useless and noninformative. Yet another crime series with a gimmick.

Watch Lie to Me instead.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Well I finally got around to watching Season 1 of 24 since I'd already rewatched every other season.

I have to say I'm really surprised at how much more low-key Season 1 is than other seasons. I didn't remember much about it from when I first watched it, but it's so drat boring in the beginning. Jack just hangs around CTU for the first few hours. No torture or blitzkrieg killing spree, just blah blah blah, nothing really going on. This show really found out what it wanted to be in the 2nd season because so far in season 1 Jack Bauer is a lot more like Jill Bauer.

Also Tony is a dick.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I had the flu last week and I had nothing better to do, so I blew through over 30 episodes of Fist of the North Star, bringing me up to about 50 total and it just keeps getting better. Funny how Kenshiro punching bad guys never seems to get old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
Just did all 5 seasons of the Wire last week, it was a great week for TV for me I guess, and then it was over :sigh: