Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

japtor posted:

Speaking of non existing equipment, does anyone know of a 4 SATA drive to FW800 (and bonus points for USB and eSATA PM) bridge board? Closest things I've found are 2 drive ones (that have all the interfaces) or an old 4 drive IDE-FW400 one (or eSATA/USB only ones). Is daisy chaining or separate cables/hub my only options? I'm going to be doing a software RAID of some sort so it's not a huge deal, but I'd like to keep things as simple as possible.

Pretty sure he achieved this here

quote:

This bridgeboard contains dual SATA links and provides a bridge to FireWire 800 (backwards-compatible with FW400) and USB 2.0. The controller is an Oxford 924 chipset, which I highly recommend. There are competing bridgeboards out there based on the Initio chipset, but given my past experiences with them, I'd say avoid them at all costs.

The nice thing about this bridgeboard is that it appears to offer a SATA mode that will simply make the two ports nodal -- that is to say, you can take the SATA out from the Areca controller, connect it to the bridgeboard, and then take a second SATA to eSATA cable and hook it to the remaining port. This lets you avoid having to use the IDE output on the controller for your bridgeboard. Disclaimer: I have not tested this feature, and can't guarantee that this bridgeboard will function the way I've described this setup, though the documentation suggests it should. Don't blame me if the implementation I described doesn't actually work. If you want to play it safe, either don't use eSATA in conjunction with a SATA bridgeboard, or get an IDE bridgeboard to handle the FireWire/USB function.

Other options for boards here include NAS bridgeboards (also available on the DatOptic site).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah I've read that post a few times and I don't think it applies to my case (individual drives vs HW RAID), I'm just kinda :psyboom: after trying to figure out what he's saying there.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Hey guys,

In my apartment we have a Vista laptop, a Vista PC, an XP laptop and two Xbox 360s. I was thinking about getting a NAS setup to store all our music and movies so we can access them from all our computers as well as stream them through out Xbox 360s. Is there any way to get a NAS setup going for around $100-200? Wouldn't need anything more than 500GB, hell even 250GB would cut it.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hey guys,

In my apartment we have a Vista laptop, a Vista PC, an XP laptop and two Xbox 360s. I was thinking about getting a NAS setup to store all our music and movies so we can access them from all our computers as well as stream them through out Xbox 360s. Is there any way to get a NAS setup going for around $100-200? Wouldn't need anything more than 500GB, hell even 250GB would cut it.

If you already have the drives, you can get the DLink DNS-323 which is around ~$180 or so (or the cheaper DNS-321 which offers similar features minus the USB port and maybe some other stuff). I just bought a 323 to go with my xbmc setup which works perfectly. Plus, I think the upnp server works with the 360 if you are running the newest firmware. If not, you can always install twonky or something. Unless you cobble something together out of old PC parts or something i don't think you can find anything better for your budget.

It's been posted before, but there's lots of good stuff here - http://wiki.dns323.info/

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So, is something like a Western Digital MyBook World Edition generally frowned upon? Although it claims to be a NAS..?

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
If you check it on the SmallNetBuilder.com charts you will see it has throughput of less then 6MB per second. I have one and regret not getting something that transfers files a little faster (slow streaming, etc). I'd stay the gently caress away from them if I were you.

talk show ghost
Mar 2, 2006

by Ozma
My 400Mhz G3 fileserver is faster than the MyBook. That should tell you all you need to know about them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Stonefish posted:

A lot like that, yes. Except not in PCI-X flavour.
Let me see, 8 SATA2 ports would require 8x3Gbit/sec to avoid theoretical bottlenecks, right? 3GBytes/sec would be about 6 PCI-E 2.0 lanes, so I guess it would have to be a PCI-E 8x card.

The card linked above could only handle about a third of that. and yes, I know it's not easy to max out a single SATA lane with a 7200 disk.

Basically, I don't have any PCI-X slots, nor have I ever seen one anywhere.

What about a pair (or more) of 4-port SATA controllers? 4 PCI-E lanes should be more than sufficient bandwidth.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I've got something like a pair of PCI-E 1x slots (one used by network card, the other is physically inaccessible), a pair of 16x slots (one is used by a Dell PERC, the other is presently vacant), and not much else.
There are also two PCI slots. One has my old IDE card which powers my older array, which I will replace ASAP, and the other is the POS graphics card (No onboard on this mobo)

Edit: So, can you push 4 SATA disks worth of bandwidth through a PCI slot without bottlenecking it?
I'm still considering just buying a second PERC. They're not cheap, and don't do a genuine "disk controller" thing, but you can get the next best thing. it runs nice and cold, and hasn't so much as blinked so far.

I'm still uncertain about the odds of two of them working in one box. If one works fine, and one and a highpoint works, I suspect two would, but I can't say for certain.
They're also not easy to source.

Stonefish fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jan 16, 2009

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

quote:

So, can you push 4 SATA disks worth of bandwidth through a PCI slot without bottlenecking it?
I don't think so. I can pull 80MB/sec from one of WD's Greenpower 1TB drives, and those aren't exactly high-performance drives; I'm quite certain that the PCI bus couldn't handle 320MB/sec.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Wiki says 133MB/sec. That's not very quick.

Why does storing data have to be so difficult? I have money, and I want to spend it on hardware. Someone loving try to sell me what I want :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Stonefish posted:

Wiki says 133MB/sec. That's not very quick.

Why does storing data have to be so difficult? I have money, and I want to spend it on hardware. Someone loving try to sell me what I want :v:

Whoa there, it's not just that simple. A sales guy will need to come out and discuss why their form of horse-rape is better than the next guys. Then he will leave you with glossy brochures. If you're lucky a technical guy was allowed to come along who might even know how to turn the unit on and know what the glossy brochure says about the product.

From there you get to discern the truth from the lies. What you are left with is nothing. You should already know how many disk iops you need going in to the talks, and know that nothing their proprietary bullshit is going to do that will magically give you iops those disks don't have. I tended to use SPEC_SFS97 numbers, because our workload pretty much directly compared to theirs.

You can then try to get them to tell you a price for their hardware. This price is complete bullshit, and they will try and forbid you from talking to anyone about it. Try and figure out if it is MSRP, if so cut it straight in half, and that is the real price. (Note, not cost to them, but price for which they will sell you the unit.) Add on the support contract, which costs as much as the unit costs them, and you're golden!

In the meantime you should make them take you and at least one low-level technical guy out to an expensive lunch/dinner. Order fine wine and the steak.

Jaded? Sure. Far from the truth? Trying to spend money on hardware/software can be one the hardest things to do in this industry. Everyone is out to maximize their own bottom line, and some people will fork over MSRP, so why not keep it high?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Whoa there, it's not just that simple. A sales guy will need to come out and discuss why their form of horse-rape is better than the next guys. Then he will leave you with glossy brochures. If you're lucky a technical guy was allowed to come along who might even know how to turn the unit on and know what the glossy brochure says about the product.

From there you get to discern the truth from the lies. What you are left with is nothing. You should already know how many disk iops you need going in to the talks, and know that nothing their proprietary bullshit is going to do that will magically give you iops those disks don't have. I tended to use SPEC_SFS97 numbers, because our workload pretty much directly compared to theirs.

You can then try to get them to tell you a price for their hardware. This price is complete bullshit, and they will try and forbid you from talking to anyone about it. Try and figure out if it is MSRP, if so cut it straight in half, and that is the real price. (Note, not cost to them, but price for which they will sell you the unit.) Add on the support contract, which costs as much as the unit costs them, and you're golden!

In the meantime you should make them take you and at least one low-level technical guy out to an expensive lunch/dinner. Order fine wine and the steak.

Jaded? Sure. Far from the truth? Trying to spend money on hardware/software can be one the hardest things to do in this industry. Everyone is out to maximize their own bottom line, and some people will fork over MSRP, so why not keep it high?

While everything hawk said is true, to bring it back to the focus of this thread keep in mind that the enterprise grade storage vendors all got rich assembling commodity storage hardware in useful ways, and so have a vested interest in making sure people can't do it easily themselves.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
See, now THAT is something I can believe. I imagine what I want is quite easy to build, but nobody wants to build it, lest they incur the wrath of 3ware or something.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Any particularly good deals on drives right now? I had 2 bite the dust this week. I need 750GB+ SATA.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

1.5TB for $129.99.

angelfoodcakez
Mar 22, 2003
crank dat robocop

complex posted:

1.5TB for $129.99.
are these the 1.5tb seagates that had all the problems with locking up?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

angelfoodcakez posted:

are these the 1.5tb seagates that had all the problems with locking up?

Doesn't matter, firmware fix is released last I heard.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

H110Hawk posted:

Doesn't matter, firmware fix is released last I heard.

The same fix which has been bricking drives? Or the update after that which is STILL bricking drives?

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?
I'm comparing RAID 1 NAS solutions and the ReadyNas Duo touts that it can use its special X-RAID technology expand its storage space by replacing one of the drives with a bigger drive, rebuilding the array onto it, and then doing the same with the other drive.

However, can't you do that with any RAID 1 solution?

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!

Sock on a Fish posted:

I'm comparing RAID 1 NAS solutions and the ReadyNas Duo touts that it can use its special X-RAID technology expand its storage space by replacing one of the drives with a bigger drive, rebuilding the array onto it, and then doing the same with the other drive.

However, can't you do that with any RAID 1 solution?

Nope, not really. You have to copy the data off, then rebuild the array from scratch.

The only RAID solutions that I know of that have the fancy expandability are the ReadyNAS line, unRAID, and Drobo. WHS has something similar, but I don't think it's really RAID.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Mr_D posted:

The only RAID solutions that I know of that have the fancy expandability are the ReadyNAS line, unRAID, and Drobo. WHS has something similar, but I don't think it's really RAID.
It should soon be available in raid-z (zpools/zfs/zwhatever new things sun is doing)

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

adorai posted:

It should soon be available in raid-z (zpools/zfs/zwhatever new things sun is doing)
It's been available in any of the ZFS-backed storage pools for a while, as well as in the previous Sun implementation of volume management (SVM/DiskSuite).

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Mr_D posted:

Nope, not really. You have to copy the data off, then rebuild the array from scratch.

Huh, I just figured it'd be like expanding a filesystem in a VM after you expand the virtual disk. Thanks for the tip.

Also doesn't ZFS only allow expandability of a pool, but not the individual components in the pool? i.e., you could add a raid-z set to a pool, but you can't add a disk to the raid-z set.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

Sock on a Fish posted:

Huh, I just figured it'd be like expanding a filesystem in a VM after you expand the virtual disk. Thanks for the tip.

Also doesn't ZFS only allow expandability of a pool, but not the individual components in the pool? i.e., you could add a raid-z set to a pool, but you can't add a disk to the raid-z set.
Yep, that's correct. You can add new virtual devices to any pool, and replace any physical devices in pools, but you can't add brand new devices to a RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 virtual device.

WickedMetalHead
Mar 9, 2007
/dev/null
I think the official recommendation for ZFS is multiple raidz(2)'s in a pool instead of one big raidz(2) anyways. I might be wrong on that but i am pretty sure that is what sun recommends, and how they have the thumper configured.

lilbean
Oct 2, 2003

WickedMetalHead posted:

I think the official recommendation for ZFS is multiple raidz(2)'s in a pool instead of one big raidz(2) anyways. I might be wrong on that but i am pretty sure that is what sun recommends, and how they have the thumper configured.
Yep, that's bang on. On mine, it's split into RAIDZ2 vdevs comprised of 6 disks each. And it's loving awesome.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003
Did someone mention getting rtorrent for opensolaris? I'm really struggling to get it going.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
How migrateable are RAID-5s and spanned arrays? I have a hardware 4-Port RAID5 card, but it only allows for 2TB logical drives, so under XP Pro I spanned the two logical drives it created to form one 4TB, spanned array (this basically just writes to the first logical drive, then the second once the first is filled, correct? So it's not a software raid?). (XP is installed on the array, on the remaining ~100gbs of the array)

The question is, I'm currently running an EPIA-M, which isn't really suiting me since it only has 100mbps ethernet, so I'm looking to swap out the motherboard with another one once I order an ethernet card for an mATX board I have. I'll be reinstalling XP onto a CF card so I can spin down my drives while running some low-storage net-apps. Will this new installation see the spanned array?
If I unhook all the drives from the hardware raid card, do they have to get plugged back into the ports they were previously connected to?

Any good state-side suppliers of VIA-processor ITX boards? Newegg only has a few jetways.

This feels kind of surreal; my first computer that was 'mine' had a 4gb drive, and I felt like it was so much space; it filled up pretty quick, too. Wonder if my 4tb array is going to be the same way.

Triikan fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 1, 2009

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Triikan posted:

How migrateable are RAID-5s and spanned arrays? I have a hardware 4-Port RAID5 card, but it only allows for 2TB logical drives, so under XP Pro I spanned the two logical drives it created to form one 4TB, spanned array (this basically just writes to the first logical drive, then the second once the first is filled, correct? So it's not a software raid?).
NTFS sees the spanned volume as one drive and deals with it as such. In the most undesirable case, the MFT's already split across the end of the first and beginning of the second drive (IIRC NTFS places it in the middle to reduce seeking distances). A drive failing in a spanned volume just means drama.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Combat Pretzel posted:

A drive failing in a spanned volume just means drama.

Will this cause me any problems? It's still RAID5'ed.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Triikan posted:

Any good state-side suppliers of VIA-processor ITX boards? Newegg only has a few jetways.
http://www.logicsupply.com/ is worth a shot, but they're pretty overpriced from what I can see. Their selection, on the other hand, is pretty decent.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Triikan posted:

Will this cause me any problems? It's still RAID5'ed.
Oh, missed that. No idea, depends on how the spanned volume code reacts to a degraded array.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh, missed that. No idea, depends on how the spanned volume code reacts to a degraded array.

Theoretically it shouldn't care, since assuming that the RAID5 array that's a member of the span is degraded and not gone, all data is still available either by direct reading or by computing based off of parity.

What you're essentially looking at is a bastardized version of RAID50 - except that in a RAID50, if you lose two drives on one of the individual RAID5 arrays, all data is lost. With it set up as a span, if you lose two drives in one of the RAID5 arrays, you can theoretically recover whatever data is on the non-dead RAID5. Of course, RAID50 would be faster, especially on writes (assuming that the controllers are doing the XOR calculations, or that the CPU is doing nothing else)

I'd probably just run software RAID6 well before trying some amalgam of hardware and software RAID like that, though.

napking
Aug 31, 2003

w_hat posted:

Did someone mention getting rtorrent for opensolaris? I'm really struggling to get it going.

i got azureus running on opensolaris many moons ago:
http://willvuong.blogspot.com/2008/02/azureus-and-x86-opensolaris-and-webui.html

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Transmission's officially packaged by the Sun folks. AFAIK, it can also do headless using transmission-daemon and transmission-cli.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

w_hat posted:

Yes, It works, but its a huge bitch.
You need to pull the svn copy and try and build it. When you get an error (when, not if..), look it up on this page http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-p5yQxeIlabNLXBcyDWuLZDGM4Nxb?p=20 and follow his instructions on getting it fixed.

If you run into an error you can't fix, send me a PM and I'll help you out.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
Just ordered up a drobo and 2 640GB drives to get started. I emailed Data Robotics because they had a mail in rebate which just expired two days ago, and they sent me a new form for February. That was nice of them. Total cost of Drobo + 2x640gb came to $500 with rebate. Pretty good.

I will do a trip report soon, this will be smb/afp shared from a mac mini which also runs boxee on my tv. 3 mac's will be using timemachine on it, two through airport over my wrt54gs.

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Tomorrow I'll be attempting to set up an unRaid fileserver with 3 640gb drives (WD6400AAKS). The unRaid wiki lists the AAKS drives in both the "recommended hardware" section, as well as the "incompatible hardware" section, so we'll see how that goes. The fun part is going to be finding somewhere to stash my 640gb worth of crap on my existing drive (the other 2 are in the mail) while I test the array out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop
So I've been thinking about building a file server to use for a proper backup solution and media storage.

I've got a couple old computers around and I was hoping I could just buy some new hard drives, throw linux on there, and mdadm my way to raid 5 goodness.

However, the computer I was planning on using doesn't have any SATA ports (yes its that old). I was going to throw a SATA PCI card in there, but now looking at the Wikipedia Page of Device Bandwidths SATA2 has a max speed of 300Mb/s. Would getting a PCI SATA card be a bottleneck?

Second off, I can't find a whole lot of information regarding linux compatibility with various hardware raid cards. I find some odds and ends stuff on the manufacturer's websites but nothing really promising, this is why I've been leaning towards a software raid for now.