Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyo
Nov 18, 2003

... !

Honest Thief posted:

Maybe I'm just crazy, but is Siegfried human? There's something about his eyes that freak me out, am I supposed to have this reaction or it's just some animation quirk that irked me wrong?
Cyborg eyes are quite freaky, yes.

Edit: Well gently caress, I should learn to read.

pyo fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Hildgrim posted:

Cyborg eyes are quite freaky, yes.

I think you're thinking of Oberstein.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Just don't tell people that everything you learned about classical music was from anime.

This is pretty much me, between this show & Nodame Cantabile.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
This thread is now officially endorsed by the Whizzards. Piss out.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

bondster posted:

Finally decided to continue watching the series after putting it off.

Holy poo poo, 20 episodes in and There are already 2 civil wars going on AT THE SAME TIME? Then Jessica Sanders gets killed for peaceful protest?

I cannot wait to watch the rest of this.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I accidently moused over the spoilers :(

Just finished Episode 16, and it looks like shits about to hit the fan

- A 5-year old Kaiser
- Lohengramm predicts a civil war
- Yang has a posse now
- A crazy cult

Although I'm going through it slowly, I'm loving this series. Didn't expect to be watching it while ill though.

a glitch fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 16, 2009

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma

Eggn0g posted:

Just finished Episode 16, and it looks like shits about to hit the fan
You have no idea. By the end of this series, the fan is no longer even able to turn, due to the amount of poo poo that has hit it.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I'm hitting on episode 90 and the fan broke a long time ago. The poo poo is now on the floor and on the walls. This series is simply amazing.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

Robot Bastard posted:

You have no idea. By the end of this series, the fan is no longer even able to turn, due to the amount of poo poo that has hit it.

Just watched episode 21 and drat, that was crazy.

Still loving this series, but one thing bugs me - why where the soldiers using axes in episode 20? That seemed... strange. I know the empire's supposed to be old-fashioned, but that seemed a bit stupid to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I were to venture a guess, it's that by the time of LOGH spacesuits are so sturdy that lasers (and guns?) aren't very effective against them. So an axe might make for the best close quarter weapon.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

If I were to venture a guess, it's that by the time of LOGH spacesuits are so sturdy that lasers (and guns?) aren't very effective against them. So an axe might make for the best close quarter weapon.

Not just are the combat armors generally laser/ bullet proof (though the visors have been pierced, and there are weak points), it's shown that a lot of the reason they aren't used is because troops tend to carry Zephyr-particle gas canisters with them, as gas which explodes VERY VIOLENTLY in the presence of laser fire.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."
Though honestly - loving crossbows?

Well, I suppose the armor is really more laserproofing than anything else.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

KlavoHunter posted:

Though honestly - loving crossbows?

Well, they're not going to set off the Zephyr particles like gun/ laser fire would, so...

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

Zorak posted:

Well, they're not going to set off the Zephyr particles like gun/ laser fire would, so...

Wait, just plain slug-firing guns would set off the Zephyr Particles?

But I suppose a crossbow bolt would be pretty effective against relatively light Panzergrenadier-style armor.

Robot Bastard
Jul 14, 2004

by Ozma
It might be a speed thing; like, anything moving fast enough to penetrate heavy armor would set off the Zephyr particles, and of course any directed-energy weapon would do it.

spoilers for this discussion: Mashengo's death should tell you how important it is to have Zephyr particles spread around; otherwise they just break out the lasers and waste your rear end no matter how much armor you've got.

Of course, it's really more like "the author really liked the idea of dudes fighting with axes, so he made up an extremely vague justification for why this was the case." See also Dune, where we have a universe with lasers and artillery and nuclear bombs and yet everyone fights with knives.

And the real argument in favor of axes and armor isn't verbal at all. It's the fact that without axes, we would not have THIS:

The Therminador posted:

:toot:

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Seriously, would the Rosenritter be half as hard if they just shot dudes? The only way Schenkopp with a gun would work if he merely pistol whipped you to death with it.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Robot Bastard posted:

It might be a speed thing; like, anything moving fast enough to penetrate heavy armor would set off the Zephyr particles, and of course any directed-energy weapon would do it.

spoilers for this discussion: Mashengo's death should tell you how important it is to have Zephyr particles spread around; otherwise they just break out the lasers and waste your rear end no matter how much armor you've got.

Of course, it's really more like "the author really liked the idea of dudes fighting with axes, so he made up an extremely vague justification for why this was the case." See also Dune, where we have a universe with lasers and artillery and nuclear bombs and yet everyone fights with knives.

And the real argument in favor of axes and armor isn't verbal at all. It's the fact that without axes, we would not have THIS:

Mashengo's death always kind of pissed me off because the heavy armor earlier almost always seemed to stop laser rounds unless you got shot in the face.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
The Gaidens aren't really being seeded anymore, but they're all up on Megaupload.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I feel like I'm doing my part because I've gotten about 5 people to watch this series.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Honest Ray posted:

I feel like I'm doing my part because I've gotten about 5 people to watch this series.

This series is best enjoyed with a friend and some :420:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Apparently there's two new LOGH OSTs out?

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=48593
http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=48592

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

These are the same Empire and Free Planets box sets that have been out for some time. What's new about these is the file names are in English and not Engrish, which may be worth an upgrade.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
Well thanks to this thread i just did a marathon of the first 16 episodes of this absolutely fantastic show.
I really enjoyed the episodes that focused on Lohengramms past and the empire politics.

Awesome battles sofar, but i feel i didn't "get" the third battle (Maybe a bit too much going on at the same time.)
Very impressed that it manages to avoid almost everything i hate about anime like cutesy poo poo, kids and fan service.

A lot of the characters almost manage to feel like real people( this is loving rare in anime.) Also liking the classical soundtrack and the ending ( Ive heard that this changes to a less awesome one later on.)

One minor complaint: How the gently caress does the incompetent Alliance military survive a 150 year war before Yang Wenli starts to unfuck things? I have only seen the first 16 episodes, so maybe there is an explanation later on.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>

Slaapaav posted:

One minor complaint: How the gently caress does the incompetent Alliance military survive a 150 year war before Yang Wenli starts to unfuck things? I have only seen the first 16 episodes, so maybe there is an explanation later on.
Presumably because the Empire military was equally incompetent until Reinhard came along.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo that's a lot of FLAC music. Over 6 GB :psyduck:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Slaapaav posted:

A bunch of bad politicians recently got into office, which is why things sort of turned out as they did. Besides, the war hasn't been exactly constantly going, it waned I'm sure for periods.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Here is the LOGH Theme Collection:

http://www.nyaatorrents.org/?page=download&tid=48797

First time I've seen that one in FLAC. This doesn't have all of the themes, and the OST box sets do. But only the TV edits, whereas this has full edits and instrumental versions as well. So it may interest some of you.

Hygiene Hypothesis
Jan 28, 2009
I am watching this amazing show because of this thread. That said, the "tactics" are laughable but bless their little hearts for trying in an anime.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hygiene Hypothesis posted:

I am watching this amazing show because of this thread. That said, the "tactics" are laughable but bless their little hearts for trying in an anime.

The tactics aren't that crazy if you keep in mind that each fleet movement takes about an hour, and that often commands have to be "hand" delivered due to communication errors, and when there's ten thousand plus ships involved, it sort of restricts tactics in space. The reason Yang is able to do so good later on is because he had some of the best Fleet officers

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What is a "corridor" in space? What are the walls? I've been surprised to see no people in space suits outside of ships at all, and I'm on about ep 90.

But yes, amazing series.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Heran Bago posted:

What is a "corridor" in space? What are the walls?

Basically, apparently in LoGH the two halves of the galaxy (eg, two regions of the main disk) make it so the only real way to go between the two is directly through (eg, going above the plane/ out and around the arms takes too long and thus would lead to complete supply line hell). The corridors are basically regions of the space which coincidentally lack any real stars, and they pretty much establish that they're surrounded by dangerous nebulae/ black holes and such.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah it's never really explained outright. I always assumed it was something like the hyperdrives only worked in lanes that followed gravitational paths between stars, and that's why there weren't many routes between the two inhabited spiral arms, and no way around/above. And if you leave those lanes you blow up for some reason.

It's sort of like the hyperdrive in Star Wars, it's so old it's just in the background and no one really feels a need to talk about the principles much.

Hygiene Hypothesis
Jan 28, 2009
Bitching about simplicity aside, I came for the tactically-focused, classically-scored giant space battles and stayed for the Machiavellian politics and Victorian costumes.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Slaapaav posted:

Yang Wenli isn't the alliance's first brilliant commander, but mostly it's Job Trunhit's fault.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

cooldude2.0 posted:

Yang Wenli isn't the alliance's first brilliant commander, but mostly it's Job Trunhit's fault.
Agreed. The problem is that in both systems, up until the rise of Reinhard, talent had often been left in the unglamorous command positions or out of command positions entirely. Think about it, Merkatz and Bucock - they're about the same age and are both considered brilliant and experienced commanders. It seems like they should really be the ones in charge of their respective militaries without a Reinhard around, but they aren't - not noble enough or not enough of a panderer. They only rise to positions of leadership because of the turmoil that Reinhard creates - when a need for real battlefield talent arises. Guys like Sitolet and Muckenberger were not geniuses, they were just competent administrators who were relics of past eras - both rejected by the changing times. The battlefield commanders could be idiots like Lobos and the Iserlohn twin-tards because there wasn't anyone on the other side that was good enough to demonstrate anyone's incompetence.

In the empire, before Reinhard started cherry picking every talented officer without regard for noble heritage, you couldn't do poo poo in the military without a well established bloodline. In the alliance, there was an increasing trend of the officers who pandered to the politicians getting the big jobs. Job Trunhit/Lobos were the last and worst point in this trend, but it had been going for awhile.

If you watch the first few arcs of Gaiden this noble-only rule in the empire military becomes pretty clear - the only reason Reinhard ever had a chance was because of the noble ties from his whored out sister. The only reason guys like Kircheis and Mittermeyer ever had a chance was because of Reinhard.

Likewise, Yang, as great as he is, would never have risen to the position that he did without Reinhard. His uniqueness as the only alliance commander capable of matching Reinhard wasn't worth much before Reinhard appeared on the scene. In all likelihood Yang would have retired before ever joining the admiralty. This is why, though Yang is pretty much one of the most likable and interesting protagonists around, the story is really Reinhard's story. It begins with his rise to power and ends once the important conflicts surrounding this rise are played out.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
It should be noted that every strategy employed by Yang Wenli against Reinhard ultimately all operate on the same goal - the neutralization of Reinhard von Lohengramm. This is of course very much in-character for Yang (and ironically, for Oberstein, too) - Yang would like to keep battlefield casualties to a minimum, and the quickest way to end a battle (Or, indeed, a war) would be by removing the man at the top. In this respect, Reinhard's authoritarian Empire is far more vulnerable to this tactic, since the Empire ultimately relies on his supreme competence, though Reinhard acknowledges this and guides policies to counteract this. Still, the very same tactic is nowhere near as applicable to the democratic Alliance, and this is demonstrated by the fact that the Iserlohn Fleet did not fall apart completely after Yang's death, and that any competent man could succeed him - in this case, Julian Minci - and they STILL went on to win one last battle.

We see this at the 4th Tiamat Battle, where Yang holds Reinhard's flagship hostage with the Ulysses at point-blank range, so that the beaten Alliance fleet can withdraw in peace.

At the Battle of Vermillion, Yang nearly causes the complete collapse of the Imperial invasion by being one order to open fire away from killing Reinhard..

During the Battle of the Corridor, Yang attempts this yet again, but Reinhard manages to fend off the assault intended to threaten his flagship.

Even after Yang's death, Julian manages to use essentially the same tactic all over again, by boarding the Brunhild during the final battle of the series

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
After over a month of waiting, Central Anime finally brings us more LoGH:

Spiral Labyrinth 09 xvid | Spiral Labyrinth 09 h264
Spiral Labyrinth 10 xvid | Spiral Labyrinth 10 h264

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

KlavoHunter posted:

It should be noted that every strategy employed by Yang Wenli against Reinhard ultimately all operate on the same goal - the neutralization of Reinhard von Lohengramm. This is of course very much in-character for Yang (and ironically, for Oberstein, too) - Yang would like to keep battlefield casualties to a minimum, and the quickest way to end a battle (Or, indeed, a war) would be by removing the man at the top. In this respect, Reinhard's authoritarian Empire is far more vulnerable to this tactic, since the Empire ultimately relies on his supreme competence, though Reinhard acknowledges this and guides policies to counteract this. Still, the very same tactic is nowhere near as applicable to the democratic Alliance, and this is demonstrated by the fact that the Iserlohn Fleet did not fall apart completely after Yang's death, and that any competent man could succeed him - in this case, Julian Minci - and they STILL went on to win one last battle.

We see this at the 4th Tiamat Battle, where Yang holds Reinhard's flagship hostage with the Ulysses at point-blank range, so that the beaten Alliance fleet can withdraw in peace.

At the Battle of Vermillion, Yang nearly causes the complete collapse of the Imperial invasion by being one order to open fire away from killing Reinhard..

During the Battle of the Corridor, Yang attempts this yet again, but Reinhard manages to fend off the assault intended to threaten his flagship.

Even after Yang's death, Julian manages to use essentially the same tactic all over again, by boarding the Brunhild during the final battle of the series

The last battle of the series, Reinhard let Julian get to him. Muller and Mittermeyer could have gunned his rear end down.

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006

Honest Ray posted:

The last battle of the series, Reinhard let Julian get to him. Muller and Mittermeyer could have gunned his rear end down.

Quit teasing me, I wanted to see that happen, too. :P

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
edit: erk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelamir
Jun 25, 2005
Just finished this and jesus- I'm not sure if I'm going to be totally satisfied by a show again. Pretty sad that I don't get to watch the zany adventures of Felix and Alec, but hey! There's still 48something episodes and two movies of prequels, right?

I've also convinced two people to watch it this weekend, almost purely based on how badass the Rosenritter are.