Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Anyone here familiar with Iskra? Black metal/crust punk. That combination is every bit as cool as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Oh really? I'll be there too.

Me and a buddy are going early to see SepticFlesh/Satyricon and leaving early for beers at one of downtown Asheville's finest. I have great fears of being trampled by a herd of gothopotamuses in leather corsists just before CoF takes the stage.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Oooo, Wolves in the Throne Room in a matter of hours. fun.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
The new Wolves In The Throne Room is lovely poo poo. It validates everything all the haters have been saying in this thread.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

What there's new WITTR? I haven't heard it.

Noooo :(

edit: What they have a bass player now? :wtf:

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 28, 2009

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dyna Soar posted:

The new Wolves In The Throne Room is lovely poo poo. It validates everything all the haters have been saying in this thread.

More like Wolfshirts in the Dorm Room, amirite.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
It certainly didn't impress but I probably liked it better than Two Hunters. Diadem was pretty awesome.

edit: actually after a second listening I'm gonna say Wolves in the Throne Room has only gone downhill.

Clothes Optional fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 28, 2009

Rain Temple
Apr 29, 2008

ECIFIRCAS KIMSOK

Rain Temple posted:

I honestly don't know if it's just me that sees this.

Kaiho posted:

i don't know who that is but there is a bit of a resemblance.

It's "Comedy Dave" from the BBC Radio 1 Breakfast Show. He looks so much like Satyr it's all I can think of when I see either one.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich

Dyna Soar posted:

Doesn't surprise me. I'll stick with everything Diadem and prior.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Whatever you fuckers say I enjoyed the gig and what they played (I Will Lay Down My Bones, Queen of the Borrowed Light and Vastness and Sorrow). Nathan was very nice and I met some nice people. Didn't get it on like the two lovebirds in our party but hey. Good night anyway.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Any Old Irony posted:

Anyone here familiar with Iskra? Black metal/crust punk. That combination is every bit as cool as it sounds.

Yeah, I dig their stuff.

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Haven't heard the new WitTR yet but the gig last night owned

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I have great fears of being trampled by a herd of gothopotamuses in leather corsists just before CoF takes the stage.

This is a given. I saw the London SepticFlesh/Moonspell/Gorgoroth/CoF gig from the luxury of the balcony which is about the only way to avoid the CoF crowd. Felt old as gently caress sitting in the balcony at a metal gig though

e; I'm going to bring up Totalselfhatred because if you haven't listened to them yet, you really should.

Caucasus Belli fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 29, 2009

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Caucasus Belli posted:

Haven't heard the new WitTR yet but the gig last night owned

This is a given. I saw the London SepticFlesh/Moonspell/Gorgoroth/CoF gig from the luxury of the balcony which is about the only way to avoid the CoF crowd. Felt old as gently caress sitting in the balcony at a metal gig though

That's how I felt when I saw Jesu and Isis play. I sat in the balcony, sipped on a beer, and only went down for "Silver." I just can't get hyped at shows anymore. Of course I managed to work myself up for Enslaved.

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what
Regarding Aura Noir - Black Thrash Attack, wow I adore this album. Caged Wrath could have been taken off an early Venom album it's so perfect.

MrBling posted:

More like Wolfshirts in the Dorm Room, amirite.

Hahahaha, this is pretty hilarious.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Sturmtiger IV posted:

Regarding Aura Noir - Black Thrash Attack, wow I adore this album. Caged Wrath could have been taken off an early Venom album it's so perfect.

I've never heard Venom before *puts up flame shield* but glad you enjoyed Aura Noir!

Conqueror and the title track are probably my favorites.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

hey i have that same CF shirt

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
New Absu leaked, it's amazing, as expected, thus far.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

deltawing posted:

New Absu leaked, it's amazing, as expected, thus far.

It was worth the wait: the new Absu is phenominal, and is setting the bar real high for best album of the year.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Razor posted:

It was worth the wait: the new Absu is phenominal, and is setting the bar real high for best album of the year.

Fully agreed, sir.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Wow, really stupid of me to not have checked out Aeternus sooner. Beyond The Wandering Moon is something special.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
Why didn't you fuckers tell me there was a new Absu coming out?

It's really good :)

Diseased Yak
Jun 23, 2006

It's only a mild infection...

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Why didn't you fuckers tell me there was a new Absu coming out?

It's really good :)

Yes, yes it is. Listening to it right now and it's rocking my face off.

Also, the new Blut Aus Nord is fantastic.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich
The new Absu's pretty good. The songwriting's not as good as Tara but Proscriptor's fixed the production; it actually has mids and lows instead of that overproduced treble in Tara.

The new Blut Aus Nord is loving fantastic. I was doubtful that Vindisval could put out a successor to Memoria Vetusta I but having listen to this album about half a dozen times, it really does feel like MVII. Definitely top 10 of 2009 material.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I'd rank it their #2 best release, Tara coming off as number one with original songs with unique production.

Hopefully we get Carpathian Forest's Universal Evil sometime soon :)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The Sun of Tiphareth was their best release and you're wrong if you think otherwise.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I've actually never heard Absu but their myspace is inexcusable. If you have an album coming out, one track doesn't cut it. Especially not when you have a back catalog that would also stand to bring people on as fans.

gently caress you and your website, absu :colbert:

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Morbid Florist posted:

I've actually never heard Absu but their myspace is inexcusable. If you have an album coming out, one track doesn't cut it. Especially not when you have a back catalog that would also stand to bring people on as fans.

gently caress you and your website, absu :colbert:

You really need to hear Tara. It's a Black/Thrashterpiece.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It has some pretty annoying drum production though, and on the same theme drums that seem to overpower everything in the mix.

Then again, the band leader is the drummer so it is to be expected.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

deltawing posted:

You really need to hear Tara. It's a Black/Thrashterpiece.

I tried but they evidently don't want me to hear it.

A one song myspace player is what I'd expect from a solo basement project not a big name on a big label.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Morbid Florist posted:

I tried but they evidently don't want me to hear it.

A one song myspace player is what I'd expect from a solo basement project not a big name on a big label.

Here's the single from the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6S-zxbaJuo

You can preview some tracks on last.fm, too: http://www.last.fm/music/Absu

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

deltawing posted:

Here's the single from the album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6S-zxbaJuo

You can preview some tracks on last.fm, too: http://www.last.fm/music/Absu

I've had a better listen to some tracks and despite hating the drum sound, this is fantastic poo poo. Are all their albums a 50-50 mix of black and thrash or just this one?

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Morbid Florist posted:

I've had a better listen to some tracks and despite hating the drum sound, this is fantastic poo poo. Are all their albums a 50-50 mix of black and thrash or just this one?

Tara is their most unrelenting effort by far. The others are good, too, but most often people get disappointed with their earlier efforts when they start out with Tara because they're not as ridiculous as Tara is.

EDIT: Also, Proscriptor is a ridiculous drummer, so you know the drumming is consistent throughout their efforts.

deltawing fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 5, 2009

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

deltawing posted:

Tara is their most unrelenting effort by far. The others are good, too, but most often people get disappointed with their earlier efforts when they start out with Tara because they're not as ridiculous as Tara is.

EDIT: Also, Proscriptor is a ridiculous drummer, so you know the drumming is consistent throughout their efforts.

Does the drum SOUND change on any albums? They sound so produced and sterile it kinda ruins what the band is actually doing. I've heard people despise the drums on Tara...

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Morbid Florist posted:

Does the drum SOUND change on any albums? They sound so produced and sterile it kinda ruins what the band is actually doing. I've heard people despise the drums on Tara...

Hmmm, I can't really relate to the hate for the drum sound, but their new album has a lot better drum sound and production value overall.

I would still highly recommend you at LEAST check out Tara and Absu.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Diseased Yak posted:

Also, the new Blut Aus Nord is fantastic.

Holy poo poo! I didn't know this was out.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

The drums on Tara are a little quiet but it isn't like they ruin the album; Tara is--as far as I'm concerned--phenomenal.

quote:

I would still highly recommend you at LEAST check out Tara and Absu.

Seconded. The Sun of Tiphareth is a fine album, but I'd start with Tara and Absu as well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's only one track, but the song on Absu's myspace doesn't seem so incredible to me. It's not a bad song, but nothing in it blows my mind. Plus, the production is cleaner than I'd like from a black/thrash band.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Any Old Irony posted:

It's only one track, but the song on Absu's myspace doesn't seem so incredible to me. It's not a bad song, but nothing in it blows my mind. Plus, the production is cleaner than I'd like from a black/thrash band.

The album is good, but I don't think it's all it's being hyped up to be. And the production IS really bright and unblack sounding.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Any Old Irony posted:

It's not the best song on its album. Also, the production is fine; so what if it wasn't recorded on an 8-track player in a forest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Razor posted:

It's not the best song on its album. Also, the production is fine; so what if it wasn't recorded on an 8-track player in a forest?

I can't help but fully agree with this statement.

I actually prefer good production in my black metal, see newer Immortal and 1349 - Hellfire, or Mirrorthrone - Gangrene.