Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

Cuddlebottom posted:

Does anyone know a relatively invisible way to reinforce embroidery to make it more durable? I put a cross stitch pattern on a white apron, but I'm worried that all the little thread ends will get yanked out in a week. Should I just coat the back stitches with fray glue, or maybe iron on interfacing?

I usually put interfacing on my daughter's clothes and as she's three they get a fair bit of wear. It holds up quite well but again, it's one to check on frequently as the edges can start curling up after a while. Thb I've had shop-bought embroidered clothes lose their interfacing far faster so I don't think it's what I'm using that's the problem, just that interfacing gets battered after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I am so excited to find a place to share my latest project!

My husband and I recently purchased our first place and we wanted to get our window coverings up as soon as possible. I created my own mock roman valances (five total) and installed them for 1/5 of the cost of having someone professionally make them.

I have the ones installed in the kitchen below. There are three more of these (including one 72" shade) in my living room.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

discordiaskitten posted:

I usually put interfacing on my daughter's clothes and as she's three they get a fair bit of wear. It holds up quite well but again, it's one to check on frequently as the edges can start curling up after a while. Thb I've had shop-bought embroidered clothes lose their interfacing far faster so I don't think it's what I'm using that's the problem, just that interfacing gets battered after a while.
Thanks :) Ended up taking both pieces of advice - so I used a bunch of anti-fray glue and put on a light piece of interfacing. It seems to be pretty solid.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
So, I finally got around to setting up the serger I got for Christmas. That thing is a motherfucking bitch to thread.

That is all.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

seriouslywtf posted:

So, I finally got around to setting up the serger I got for Christmas. That thing is a motherfucking bitch to thread.

That is all.
I find tweezers and an LED headlamp to be absolutely essential for threading mine.

Also, if you're using wooly nylon in the loopers (which is awesome stuff), tie the ends onto a short length of regular thread at the very end and feed the regular thread through the looper eyes to pull the nylon through. At least on mine, the placement of the loopers means it's impossible to get those metal-head needle threader things to work...

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

So I am completely stuck on a set of instructions. I am making a pair of pants. I have successfully made two pant legs, but they conveniently forgot the accompanying photo for the HARDEST part!
So here it is and can anybody translate it into English?
7.) Front Middle Seam

Baste the seam allowances of the front facings, the front middle and the back middle seams, consecutively. Turn one pant leg, left side outside. Push pant legs into each other, right fabric sides and inner leg seams meet. Pin the front middle seam coming from the arrow mark until you reach the inner leg seam. Stitch. Secure seam end and beginning . Pull the pant legs apart again.

It's the Nicola from BurdaStyle and i can post a link to the pdf if anybody is willing to help. Please!

Also, does anybody have advice on how to stitch very stretchy jersey cotton? I have a maxi dress to alter and I'm making a mess of the job.

ludosti
Feb 25, 2007

Cute, but psycho

Gonktastic posted:

So here it is and can anybody translate it into English?

Also, does anybody have advice on how to stitch very stretchy jersey cotton? I have a maxi dress to alter and I'm making a mess of the job.

Facings are one of those things I need to manipulate with my hands before sewing (so I can better visualize it), but it sounds like they want you to baste in your facings. Then, you take your two lovely legs you've made, turn one inside out, and stuff it inside the other one. Then line up your middle edges (pin) and stitch the seam from the arrow to the seam on the inside of the leg (sounds like from the bottom of where the zipper will be down to the crotch). I don't know if that actually helps...

What kinds of problems are you having with the jersey? Are you using a stretch needle? I've found they can make all the difference in the world. You want to also make sure you're using a stitch with some stretch to it (if nothing else, use the very narrowest zigzag possible, so the seam with give a little with the fabric).

ludosti fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 18, 2009

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

ludosti posted:

What kinds of problems are you having with the jersey? Are you using a stretch needle? I've found they can make all the difference in the world. You want to also make sure you're using a stitch with some stretch to it (if nothing else, use the very narrowest zigzag possible, so the seam with give a little with the fabric).

The narrow zig zag always warps the poo poo out of the fabric as it sews for me, and I can't lessen the tension of my presser foot. I solved this problem by using a relatively long and wide zig zag, which holds fine for me (probably because I get bored and go through clothes faster than they wear out). And even if it is less durable, I can always run it under the sewing machine again!

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Does anyone have any books to recommend on starting/basic quilting?

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
doot doot doot made an eyeball skirt over winter break. Now I'm back to school hell and covering a barber chair in weave and such other things that don't really count as 'sewing and diy fashion'

But here's an eyeball skirt, dramatically modeled by my mate Astrid~

The back, it's a total mess inside, but the placket looks okay from the outside I guess.

Hand quilted velvet hem~

And some lovely fringey eyeballs

Yep. Now I'm going to go back to making balls out of shower curtains and powdered t-shirts.

TinuvielDancing
Jun 19, 2008
That skirt is awesome!

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Oh my god, Goldaline, what the hell? That's so amazingly weird. I love it.

This thread is making me jealous. I need to start sewing again. I got a serger for christmas and I've hardly used it.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
The eyes are the craziest/best part of that skirt. I like it.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....
GOLDALINE, I AM YOUR NUMBER 1 FAN.

Here's my new baby:

My "new" sewing machine just came in. I'm retiring my $70 brother machine that I've had since high school with this 1969 Pfaff machine. It sews so beautifully, I'm insanely excited about it.

My Brother machine used to shake my entire table as I worked on projects. This one is so quiet.

4R7 THi3F fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 2, 2009

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Thanks to some encouragement from the ladies in IRC, here are a handful of projects I have finished recently:

(^^ that's an ottoman)

I have another coat that I made that I'm really proud of, but I want to take a new picture of it before posting, because the only picture I have is pretty wrinkly.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

4R7 THi3F posted:

Ah, it's a thing of beauty~! I hate my machine, it's some early 90's Janome that doesn't work for poo poo past 'straight stitch' and nearly vibrates itself off the counter. Some spoiled brat in my home town sold it to me for $30 because her mom was buying her a new one.

I really want either an old machine like that or one of those new computerized Bernina's. I got to use one at the studio of a seamstress I was helping out and it was amazing.

PS: seriouslywtf, I love the ottoman! I'm getting really into upholstery at the moment. I'll post the Hair-Chair when it's finished!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

seriouslywtf posted:

Thanks to some encouragement from the ladies in IRC, here are a handful of projects I have finished recently:

(^^ that's an ottoman)

I have another coat that I made that I'm really proud of, but I want to take a new picture of it before posting, because the only picture I have is pretty wrinkly.

I love those! That Ottoman is amazing and the cat bag is so cute!

I got a sewing machine for christmas, but I haven't got round to sewing anything yet due to lack of peripherals. I have fabric. I *now* have thread. Just pins to go! (sporadic shopping due to lack of foresight.

Arugula
Mar 22, 2007
Rich in Vitamin C and Iron!!
Read the whole thread last night and it made me really inspired to try and make some new things (and take pictures of my older things). I mostly make bags and dresses that I never wear. I went out and got some fabric today to try and make my first jacket/coat and I'm quite excited. Will let you know how it turns out.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
Thanks guys! My cats love the ottoman too... they have pretty much decided it's theirs and spend all day on it.

Here's the coat I mentioned in the last post. The fabric is a 100% wool melton and the lining is a 100% cotton print that I got on sale.

Here's the back:

Up close:

Lining:

There are a lot of imperfections about this coat that have frustrated me (for one, I still feel it hangs a little funny in the front, which you can't really see very well in my lovely first picture) and it buttons a little snugly on the bust, forcing it to pull a little around the rest of the bust area. But I am still really proud of this coat and people out in the world tend to like it a lot.

And yes, I made each of those roses by hand. ;)

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

I looove the coat and the knot-front dress.

Celluloid
Jan 28, 2006
mad scientist
Where did you get the Vespa fabric? Do you have a link where I can buy some online?

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Celluloid posted:

Where did you get the Vespa fabric? Do you have a link where I can buy some online?
I bought it from a local shop, they have an online store at Etsy. Here's the color I got and here's a kind of magenta one. It's by Kokka Echino Nico so you can probably Google and try to find it elsewhere too.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
That Ottoman kills it. I on the other hand, haven't been able to put the waistband on a pair of jeans I started like, a month ago

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!

seriouslywtf posted:

And yes, I made each of those roses by hand. ;)

That coat is amazing, and I am super impressed with those roses. If you had posted that in the ladies fashion thread, and said it was Valentino or something, I sure would have believed you.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

seriouslywtf posted:

(^^ that's an ottoman)

How did you do that. Seriously. I would love to make one of my own. Amazing.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

McDougirl posted:

That coat is amazing, and I am super impressed with those roses. If you had posted that in the ladies fashion thread, and said it was Valentino or something, I sure would have believed you.
Wow, quite the compliment! Thank you, though there's a lot that could be improved upon. Second time's a charm?

courtney_beth posted:

How did you do that. Seriously. I would love to make one of my own. Amazing.
I actually just took a class on upholstery (if you look on the door in that image, it says "student work") and that project we did was to make an ottoman from scratch and the upholster it. Not a ton of sewing, but lots and lots of stapling and hammering. ;)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

seriouslywtf posted:

I actually just took a class on upholstery (if you look on the door in that image, it says "student work") and that project we did was to make an ottoman from scratch and the upholster it. Not a ton of sewing, but lots and lots of stapling and hammering. ;)
I'd be very interested in a write-up of how you did this and with what material (what kind of wood/steel did you use for the frame, etc). It's so freaking cool!

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

moana posted:

I'd be very interested in a write-up of how you did this and with what material (what kind of wood/steel did you use for the frame, etc). It's so freaking cool!
The quick & dirty is that we just built a square frame out of plywood boards from home depot, and nailed on a solid wood platform on the bottom. From there, we attached upholstery webbing with the staple guns (just Google for it) crisscrossed. This is to act as springs (in fact, it turns out that not all furniture uses springs--much of it uses webbing like this) and hold up the foam. We cut pieces of foam to put on top of the webbing. Then we basically draped the fabric over the top and pinned it along the corners so we knew exactly where to sew, pulled the fabric off, sewed the corner seams, and put it back on over the top. Then we flipped over the entire thing and worked on stapling the bottom of the fabric to the flat plywood on the bottom. In our class, we also attached piping at the bottom, so we went around and did that too. Then we stapled cardboard strips to the edges to keep the piping flat. THEN we stapled that black webbing fabric (I don't know what it's called) over all of that on the bottom. Finally, we drilled holes for each of the legs and then screwed in the leg plates, then the legs.

Voila!

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Thanks. I'm going to try this out soon for my sewing loft. Help is much appreciated. :)

Celluloid
Jan 28, 2006
mad scientist

seriouslywtf posted:

I bought it from a local shop, they have an online store at Etsy. Here's the color I got and here's a kind of magenta one. It's by Kokka Echino Nico so you can probably Google and try to find it elsewhere too.

Awesome! They're local for me too!

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Celluloid posted:

Awesome! They're local for me too!
Oh, good. You should definitely go there then, because they loving rock. It's a privately owned business and the owner (Rachel Epperson) is really cool.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.
Finally took a stab at tailoring a skirt I've been meaning to finish for ages.

Pics are in here: Sewing Stuff and it looks completely gay on my dressform. :downs:

It was an experiment in fabric painting, and after the disappointing results and the advice in this thread, next time I will use regular acrylics mixed with textile medium. As such, it's just cheap plain black broadcloth, which we all know is hell to work with.

Hence all the weird puckers and creases in the waistband especially, it's not sitting on the dressform properly, as the dressform is hard and humans are squishy. It has a side zipper and two back darts. It's also not as high in person as it is on the dressform.

I may tinker with the darts again, as they're not properly centered, before I slash and press them. When it's finished I may post an action shot, but it's more likely to just be on the dress form.

Ninja edit: There are also pics of some 4-way stretch lightweight knit swatches that were sent to me in there, and I was interested in the purple but the swatch shows the teeth are much, much smaller than I was expecting and now I have no clue what I would use it for.

I had planned to make a high-waisted pencil skirt out of it, but it's t-shirt weight and the print is tiny. It's super cheap, though ($3/yrd + shipping) and I'm tempted to get some anyway but I don't know what to make with it!

Any suggestions?

Bat Mouth
Jan 14, 2008
seizures like thunder in the brain
I love lurking in this thread and seeing the amazing things that goons are capable of whipping up. I sew by hand and I've long wanted a machine, but never had the money.

And today, in a pile of broken furniture on the sidewalk, I found a Singer 500A with its original sewing table. All the moving parts seem to be in order except for one piece. The small metal arm on the front of the machine that one pulls up while threading seems to be stuck. I haven't used a sewing machine in years, and I have NEVER used a vintage machine like this one, and I have no idea what this part of a machine would be called or how easy it is to replace. What is the name of this part, oh stitchy ones?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Bat Mouth posted:

I love lurking in this thread and seeing the amazing things that goons are capable of whipping up. I sew by hand and I've long wanted a machine, but never had the money.

And today, in a pile of broken furniture on the sidewalk, I found a Singer 500A with its original sewing table. All the moving parts seem to be in order except for one piece. The small metal arm on the front of the machine that one pulls up while threading seems to be stuck. I haven't used a sewing machine in years, and I have NEVER used a vintage machine like this one, and I have no idea what this part of a machine would be called or how easy it is to replace. What is the name of this part, oh stitchy ones?
It's a take-up lever.

http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMatics.html
http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMatics/Threading_Parts_ID.pdf

You found a Singer Slant-o-matic. My wife says she hates you. :)

Bat Mouth
Jan 14, 2008
seizures like thunder in the brain

ozmunkeh posted:

It's a take-up lever.

http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMatics.html
http://www.tandtrepair.com/SlantOMatics/Threading_Parts_ID.pdf

You found a Singer Slant-o-matic. My wife says she hates you. :)

Thank you! As it turns out, my roommate's strategic application of oil got the take-up lever moving again, so I won't have to replace anything. The schematic of the parts of the machine is useful, though. My mother says she empathizes with your wife--I called to tell her the news just now and she's jealous.

I tried the machine out and it appears that everything works. My roommate said that the junk on the street came out of an abandoned house across the way that's being remodeled.

Pictures of the Slant-o-matic, cleaned up and in my room:

I can't wait to start sewing with it! Hopefully I can start contributing exciting things to this thread soon.

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?
^^ That is totally badass. Nice find.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

We're required to take a lingerie class at my school. I hate lingerie, but I'm pretty pleased with my chemise.

it's not pleating but bias strips handsewn on top of one another.

I initially tried it with pleating, but it didn't work out.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.
Here is the action shots of the skirt I posted earlier.

waffleimages is being a oval office about uploading the detail of the painted fish. I'll upload it later.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.

4R7 THi3F posted:

We're required to take a lingerie class at my school. I hate lingerie, but I'm pretty pleased with my chemise.

I'm not that much into lingerie either, but this looks like it came out really well.

Was that fabric as much of a bitch to sew as it looks like it was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

Philo posted:

I'm not that much into lingerie either, but this looks like it came out really well.

Was that fabric as much of a bitch to sew as it looks like it was?

It actually wasn't!

I decided to cheat a bit and use a really nice polyester charmeuse instead of silk charmeuse. Silk charmeuse is the worst thing to sew in the world, but it was actually pretty easy to sew the polyester.