Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Anunnaki posted:

Opera's probably blocking a pop-up. Right Click -> Edit Site Preferences, change "Block Unwanted Popups" to "Open All Popups".

Tried it, no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

sm8000 posted:

Tried it, no dice.

I was just looking at a large picture of a steak you posted in another thread, closed the tab and came back to this post. your avatar was in the same position and I got really freaked out.

Have you tried changing the UserAgent in site prefs as well? I generally use chrome for maps.google.com or loving load up google earth because hot drat. (it does directions pretty good too)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

xlevus posted:

Under OSX, every time you close the last tab it closes the window. And I know I've asked how to fix this but it didn't seem to work and I sort of became accustomed to the way it works.

BUT

The trash remembers all the windows that close, so by the end of a week theres a 100 or so empty "Window X" items in the trash which obviously have no use what so ever.

Is there a way to stop this?

Closing the window is a part of OSX's UI. There's really nothing to stay open after you close the last tab, unless you want a blank page to open up at that point. I'm honestly not too sure how to do it. I'd just love to be able to minimize tabs in OSX. :ohdear:

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

quote:

Carakan F.A.Q.

By brucelawson. Thursday, 5. February 2009, 09:47:24

Categories ECMAScript, JavaScript, Carakan

1.0 What is Carakan?

Carakan is Opera's new JavaScript engine. It's still in development, but is already 2.5 times faster than our Opera 10 alpha engine (which itself is 30% faster on real websites than previous versions of Opera). Some aspects are between 5 and 50 times faster!

2.0 Why are we developing it?

Because we can! Opera has always been about speed, security and a small memory footprint, so we're constantly improving these aspects of the browser. Many of today's web applications depend heavily on JavaScript, and we're developing what will be the fastest ECMAscript engine on the market.

3.0 When will Carakan be available?

Soon. We've chosen to talk about it now as we're discussing it at the Web Directions North conference, but we're still combing its hair and straightening its tie before we're ready to let you see it.

4.0 How does it work?

It's a combination of brilliant coding and Norwegian voodoo magic ("Snowdoo"). If you want more details about the brilliant coding, you can read all about register-based bytecode, automatic object classification and native code generation on the Opera Core Concerns Blog. We're sworn to secrecy about the Snowdoo. By a Yeti troll.

5.0 What does "Carakan" mean?

We thought about naming it "Unicorn-badger" or "Shouting Otter". But, we've chosen the name "Carakan" (pronounced "Jarakan"), which is the original alphabet from the Indonesian island of Java.

In other words, it's the purest Java Script. When you try it, you'll agree.
:neckbeard:

Linky.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.

Zuffox posted:

:neckbeard:

Linky.

came here to post this. This sounds pretty great 8)

quote:

So how fast is Carakan? Using a regular cross-platform switch dispatch mechanism (without any generated native code) Carakan is currently about two and a half times faster at the SunSpider benchmark than the ECMAScript engine in Presto 2.2 (Opera 10 Alpha). Since Opera is ported to many different hardware architectures, this cross-platform improvement is on its own very important.

The native code generation in Carakan is not yet ready for full-scale testing, but the few individual benchmark tests that it is already compatible with runs between 5 and 50 times faster, so it is looking promising so far.

:hellyeah:

er0k fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 5, 2009

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Wow, they seem to be really going at this full-speed. First Acid3 compliance, then mega-improved Javascript engine. I can only imagine what comes after that.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Well, at least that answers my question of "What have they been doing for the past month where we've had no new builds even though the ones they gave were already nearly perfect and releasable?" Sounds good.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

down1nit posted:

I was just looking at a large picture of a steak you posted in another thread, closed the tab and came back to this post. your avatar was in the same position and I got really freaked out.

Have you tried changing the UserAgent in site prefs as well? I generally use chrome for maps.google.com or loving load up google earth because hot drat. (it does directions pretty good too)

How do you change the User Agent? If that's the same as Browser Identification, I tried setting it to "Mask as IE" but it made no difference.

P.S. lol steak :v:

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.

sm8000 posted:

How do you change the User Agent? If that's the same as Browser Identification, I tried setting it to "Mask as IE" but it made no difference.

I do tools > appearance > buttons > preferences and drag the "identify as" button to a toolbar somewhere

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
It seems like all the major web browsers (except Internet Explorer obviously) are trying to write the fastest, bestest Javascript engine out there. I wonder how Carakan will measure up against the new webkit Javascript engine, or the one that'll be in Firefox that people seem to be excited about?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

GuyGizmo posted:

It seems like all the major web browsers (except Internet Explorer obviously) are trying to write the fastest, bestest Javascript engine out there. I wonder how Carakan will measure up against the new webkit Javascript engine, or the one that'll be in Firefox that people seem to be excited about?
SquirrelFish, yep. Think that was what the UnicornBadger was a reference to, also.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lakitu7 posted:

Well, at least that answers my question of "What have they been doing for the past month where we've had no new builds even though the ones they gave were already nearly perfect and releasable?" Sounds good.

I honestly forget that I'm using an alpha build at home. So stable. And I want to see what Snowdoo can produce.

sm8000 posted:

Yeah, UserAgent is the same as Browser Identification, it's just the term for what it sends.

Has anyone figured out how to add custom User Agents to the list?

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
Has anyone's google calendar gotten messed up the last few days? Now mine is all squished to the side. I tried updating to version 10 and it's doing the same thing. Other browsers show it fine.

Blah.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

AquaVita posted:

Has anyone's google calendar gotten messed up the last few days? Now mine is all squished to the side. I tried updating to version 10 and it's doing the same thing. Other browsers show it fine.

Blah.
Gmail was updated yesterday or the day before (in Opera at least), resulting in my to-do list disappearing. You may not have run into a bug, but at feature.

Google are notorious for screwing Opera users over with their services. Checkout doesn't even work at all - same goes for Gmail handling going to the next line properly.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys

AquaVita posted:

Blah.
Yeah, that happened to me, too. Hopefully someone fixes that with the quickness.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Casao posted:

Has anyone figured out how to add custom User Agents to the list?

Future Opera 10 feature sighted! :siren:

Who knows? Having a Chrome UA might make Google's stuff work. :v:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Zuffox posted:

Gmail was updated yesterday or the day before (in Opera at least), resulting in my to-do list disappearing. You may not have run into a bug, but at feature.

Google are notorious for screwing Opera users over with their services. Checkout doesn't even work at all - same goes for Gmail handling going to the next line properly.

Just as a weird point: I have never had problems with Checkout.

I have had bizarre, transient eBay and PayPal problems though.

As far as Gmail goes, if you use gmail and multiple addresses, Firefox and Gmail Manager make Gmail so much more useful. And Firefox never has those weird eBay and Paypal problems.

SO I have taken to just having ebay, Paypal and GMail open in Firefox all the time, along with the two or three commercial sites, and the banking sites that hate Opera.

Still waiting for the Opera PC feature of forcing everything to open as tabs to make it to the Mac though. I love that on the PC, and I hate it on the Mac. Writing six different letters from my primary Gmail account is a breeze on the PC, and hard/impossible on the Mac, since GMail spawns six new windows on the Opera Mac.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just wished there was an option to see the passwords stored in the wand in cleartext.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Odd about Checkout. Maybe I've run into a bug.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

kapalama posted:

Just as a weird point: I have never had problems with Checkout.

I have had bizarre, transient eBay and PayPal problems though.

As far as Gmail goes, if you use gmail and multiple addresses, Firefox and Gmail Manager make Gmail so much more useful. And Firefox never has those weird eBay and Paypal problems.

SO I have taken to just having ebay, Paypal and GMail open in Firefox all the time, along with the two or three commercial sites, and the banking sites that hate Opera.

Still waiting for the Opera PC feature of forcing everything to open as tabs to make it to the Mac though. I love that on the PC, and I hate it on the Mac. Writing six different letters from my primary Gmail account is a breeze on the PC, and hard/impossible on the Mac, since GMail spawns six new windows on the Opera Mac.

Gmail runs more or less fine, but I rarely type out and send outgoing email from my personal account, so the double spacing bit doesn't bug me. I also tend to double space anything I type anyway.

eBay and Paypal have been good for me usually, the only times I open anything else are for Offline Gmail on my AAO and Quake Live in IE.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Casao posted:

Gmail runs more or less fine, but I rarely type out and send outgoing email from my personal account, so the double spacing bit doesn't bug me. I also tend to double space anything I type anyway.\

What I meant about gmail is not the in-mail double spacing (if that's what you meant). It's the fact that on a Mac you can not open ten tabs with new "Compose Mail" spaces open. On Opera on a PC you can.

It's just a Tab thing. On a Mac you can spawn ten windows to compose gmail in. On a PC you can spawn ten tabs to do the same thing.

It's really just a niggle.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Is there a way to make links for the high quality videos pop up right away in youtube? IE and Firefox both do, but Opera waits until the whole video is loaded before it does.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

NinjaCthulhu posted:

Is there a way to make links for the high quality videos pop up right away in youtube? IE and Firefox both do, but Opera waits until the whole video is loaded before it does.
You can add &fmt=22 to the link, stripping away the referral link if it's there. A workaround, but hey.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
The link also becomes visible when you stop playback.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Zuffox posted:

You can add &fmt=22 to the link, stripping away the referral link if it's there. A workaround, but hey.
IIRC, &fmt=22 is for the 720p high definition videos, &fmt=18 is for the high quality versions.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Saukkis posted:

IIRC, &fmt=22 is for the 720p high definition videos, &fmt=18 is for the high quality versions.
Doesn't it default to the highest resolution with =22?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I didn't see this posted anywhere in the thread. It's a little story about Vega, the new vector graphics library, that came out about the same time as the Carakan Javascript engine.

Opera Core Concerns Blog posted:

Vega was created shortly after we started working on SVG support. When we added SVG support in Opera we needed a vector graphics library. We looked into what was available to use and met our requirements (fast, low memory usage and works on platforms ranging from phones to TVs and desktop computers). We did not find and good match for our needs, so we decided to write our own.

Shortly after we created Vega we added <canvas> support, which also uses Vega.

The most recent addition to Vega is the ability to use a hardware accelerated back-end. The back-ends we are using at the moment are OpenGL and Direct3D.

In the core version we are currently developing, Presto 2.3, we have made it possible to use Vega for all rendering in Opera. This means that we can replace the platform specific code for rendering with Vega. In the future it might be mandatory to use Vega for rendering, but in Presto 2.3 it is still possible to use the old rendering back-ends.

There are three reasons for doing this. The first reason is that the new CSS3 background and borders standard is much easier to implement using a vector graphics library. Presto 2.3 adds partial support for CSS3 backgrounds and borders, but only when using Vega for rendering.

The second reason is to support hardware acceleration of our vector graphics. In order to be able to render SVG and <canvas> in hardware we must also be able to directly draw the rendered vector graphics to the screen since reading back the rendered image from the graphics card is usually slower than rendering in software.

The final reason is that it enables us to easily add advanced graphical effects to our UI and to web pages.

The hardware back-end of Vega will unfortunately not work on all graphics cards. The good news is that we detect at runtime if your graphics card is supported or not and fallback to the software back-end of Vega if the graphics card is not supported. This means that everything will work regardless of your graphics cards capabilities.

The first requirement of you graphics card is that it has fast stencil buffers. If you are on a desktop computer that will not be a problem, but on some mobile phones that will be a problem. The reason for this requirement is that we use the stencil buffer for rendering some complex shapes instead of tessellating them and render triangles.

Since some web standards (for example opacity, SVG and <canvas>) require us to render to an off-screen buffer which is composited onto the screen we also require some kind of render to texture to be able to use Vega hardware back-end. This means a DirectX 9 compatible graphics card, or support for the framebuffer object (FBO) extension in OpenGL. It would be possible to do the same thing with pbuffers in OpenGL, but we need to do many render target switches and with pbuffers that is too slow.

The final requirement is pixel shaders 2.0, or fragment shaders 2.0 as it is called in OpenGL. We also require GLSL support on OpenGL. The shaders are required for filters. Filters is a part of SVG which performs an operation such as blur or color transforms on an image. Filters are also used in <canvas> and to support text shadows and box shadows in HTML.

For a PC user these requirements are met by any DirectX 9 compatible graphics card. So with the correct drivers you should be able to use the hardware back-end of Vega if you have a DirectX 9 compatible graphics card.

Update 2009-02-05:

I was not very clear about the multiple back-ends of Vega. If the graphics card is not capable of running the hardware back-end of Vega the software back-end will be used as a fallback and all features will still work. No features depends on hardware acceleration. All of them, including CSS3 backgrounds and borders, will work in the software back-end of Vega which does not depend on hardware accelerated graphics.

Bolded emphasis mine. Link

I approve of this new library.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 8, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I didn't see this posted anywhere in the thread. It's a little story about Vega, the new vector graphics library, that came out about the same time as the Carakan Javascript engine.

Bolded emphasis mine. Link

I approve of this new library.

Yeah, there were some shots of this in one of the older threads, a fully 3d accelerated web browser. Had some cool effects.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NinjaCthulhu posted:

if you have a youtube account, open your account settings, go to playback, and select the always start in hq option.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

krylex posted:

if you have a youtube account, open your account settings, go to playback, and select the always start in hq option.
It doesn't work, for some reason. They may have fixed it a couple of months ago, but I ticked that one a long time ago, and I still get the low quality videos.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Casao posted:

Yeah, there were some shots of this in one of the older threads, a fully 3d accelerated web browser. Had some cool effects.

I remember that. I just wasn't sure if the story about Vega was mentioned yet.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Oh man, I want all of these new engines right now.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Oh Palm, pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease ditch WebKit and use Vega and Carkan in your upcoming WebOS.

I can't see it being snappy otherwise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zuffox posted:

It doesn't work, for some reason. They may have fixed it a couple of months ago, but I ticked that one a long time ago, and I still get the low quality videos.

Mine got reset when youtube decided I needed UK English instead of US, but I just set it and it's working fine for me.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Zuffox posted:

Doesn't it default to the highest resolution with =22?
Not in my experience. I just tested and =22 plays the loq quality version if there is no HD version available.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Tip I discoverd by accident just now:

I always type g (whatever I am searching for) to pop up a google search.

I mis-typed and wrote h (whatever I was searching for) and Opera popped up a window displaying a search for those terms in my history.

Woot.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

kapalama posted:

Tip I discoverd by accident just now:

I always type g (whatever I am searching for) to pop up a google search.

I mis-typed and wrote h (whatever I was searching for) and Opera popped up a window displaying a search for those terms in my history.

Woot.

F will also do "Find in page"

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Casao posted:

F will also do "Find in page"

Which isn't as cool as just hitting / to bring up the Firefox-esque search box, something I also discovered entirely by accident.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

. (period) also brings it up. I just tested and comma searches links

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

IfIWereARichMan posted:

. (period) also brings it up. I just tested and comma searches links

That one I don't get. What exactly is it searching for there? A link whose text includes that, or whose actual url includes that?

(I think I am just frustrated about always calling up a link search, when I want a text search, but still I don't get what the link search is all about.)