Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Just for re-emphasis, in case anyone accidentally passes by this point of the guide or start applying all the MOD's before reaching this point:

quote:

FINAL - Always Completely Last In Install Order, GUI changes
GUI 1.0 TutuGUI [PPG] and the related Setup-TutuGUIFONT.exe found in the forums afterwards.
GUI 1.1 Widescreen Mod [G3]

NOTE: If you install the TutuGUI and Widescreen on the same install, there will be some graphical issues. Please see the Widescreen forums for more information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Son Ryo posted:

You're kidding, right? People quit the game because of that? I actually thought it was kinda cool.
My problem with Final Fantasy VIII is that the entire game's events feel disjoint, and the characters all seem really disaffected. I didn't get the feeling anybody cared about anything, and consequently I never felt like I, the player, had to care about any of the events.

Really, my problem with the plot twist is an extension of that. While I actually thought it was an interesting idea and that it made the characters more interesting, it irritated me that the twist didn't have any ramifications to the story. We hardly saw any scenes of the characters as kids, which you'd think would be important. Finding this out also didn't bring any of them any closer together, even though you'd think it would at that point. Also, none of the characters showed any signs whatsoever of realizing beforehand that they had no memory of their childhoods, which seemed really weird to me.

But then, my memory of that game's not perfect, since I haven't made any real inroads into it in about 8-9 years. But honestly, a barely-of-age Squall getting named headmaster of Balamb Garden and the game leaving out a lot of story details to keep the Squall-Laguna connection as nebulous as possible both bothered me much more.

EDIT: I feel guilty about not contributing to my own thread, so some tips for Luminous Arc 1, which I'm playing right now...

Luminous Arc 1
· When in doubt, buff.
· Spread out. There are a lot of area attacks in the game, and you don't want to get nailed.
· Save at the beginning of a battle, or if you're doing well and haven't lost anyone yet. It's much easier than going through a bunch of cutscenes again, and the saves aren't self-deleting like quicksaves.
· As far in as I've played, weaknesses don't make a huge difference in the game, so don't let the convoluted element correspondence chart get you down.
· Generally, you'll want to select characters for battle from physically weakest to strongest, as they usually form a back-to-front formation. (I say this because I'm pretty sure it's the opposite of what the game said.) There are exceptions to this, but you'll see when you get there.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 6, 2009

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

the littlest prince posted:

I must not have been paying attention because I don't remember that at all. In fact I was pretty sure it was never explained who the gently caress the other people really were. Maybe I was just too young and dumb to notice.

You just remember incorrectly.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Any tips for Live-A-Live?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Any tips for Live-A-Live?
Oh yeah...

· You get all health back at the end of every single battle, so go balls to the wall in every battle.
· You pay for powerful attacks in wait time, not MP or anything, so don't think the most powerful attack is always the best. This is even more true than you think because you can't actually see the ATB progress onscreen.
· In Masaru's chapter, make sure you get both special attacks from all six fighters. It's really hard to get them all and stay alive, but worth it.
· In Cube's chapter, stay away from the loving behemoth. There's not even an unfair battle. Touching it is a death sentence.
· In Sundown's chapter, the fastest trap setters are the sheriff and Annie. The slowest is Billy.
· For your first playthrough, Sundown is the best character to pick for the Final Chapter, just because he's a pain in the rear end if you don't pick him.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
For FF8, you can get Limit Breaks any time your HP is in yellow, sometimes just before, as well. Since there is no meter or anything, you can just skip that person's turn until their limit break arrow shows up. This means you can do a Limit Break every single turn.

This comes in particularly handy in Disc 3 once you get The Ragnarok and can fly. On the map, the Eastern-most island is the Island Closest to Hell and the Western most island is the Island closest to Heaven.

Hell Island has Marlboros and Ochus, and Heaven Island has Red Dragons and Grendels. All four of these enemies give large amounts of XP and AP. They are also easily defeated by using Quistis' limit break Degenerator.

Also, if you have Enc-None from Diabolos, both islands have probably more draw points than the rest of the world map combined - and all the draw points are spells like Holy, Ultima, Meteor, Flare, and Full-Life.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Dypsymphuliac posted:

You have no idea how ashamed I am that I never thought of that.

The best part is that I think he actually HAS Blind, so you can just Draw-Cast and basically have him cast it on himself.

Wilikai
Feb 20, 2003

Why hello Ms. Trepe would you like to be in my video?
A few more things about FFVIII:

Use the config menu to set cursor to "Memory". This will repeat your last action in battle if you just hold down X -- very useful for drawing loads of magic without selecting the command every turn.

Also, talk to Cid at every opportunity. More than once he has an item to give you that you can't get anywhere else, and that he'll never give you again if you move forward with the plot (or even off the current screen) before speaking to him.

Finally, if you don't mind grinding, there's a great way to get a huge advantage early in the game. When you go on a training mission with Seifer, put one GF on each party member and kill off Squall and Zell in battle. Then level the poo poo out of Seifer. This will level your GFs, who will learn new abilities and become very strong. Then when you end the mission, your main characters will not have gained levels, so enemies will still be at a low level, but you'll have three very powerful GFs to kick rear end with. This trick can be repeated with another temporary character later in the game.

Wilikai fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 6, 2009

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Any tips for FFVII? Bear in mind that I don't intend to do the ridiculous endgame stuff like Ruby and Emerald Weapon. Right now, I just out of Gold Saucer, so I'm not exactly at the beginning.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Only one springs to mind:

The first time you enter the Crater, make damm sure you have Confuse(By item or spell) and Enemy Skill Materia readied. One of the enemies there has White Wind(Cures HP and status effects for the whole team), but Manipulate won't have it as an option. You've got to confuse it-it'll cast it to try to clear it, but it'll hit you instead.

You won't ever go back to that version of the Crater, so do it then.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dypsymphuliac posted:

You have no idea how ashamed I am that I never thought of that.

Don't be. Until FFXII, status spells working on bosses was so rare that pretty much no one ever bothered to cast them.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Poison can stack several times in FFVII. I can afflict it on that Japanese boss about seven times to negate that drat healing he does. I should have used it more often as it worked on several bosses.
Wait for it to kill them and defend.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ornamented Death posted:

Don't be. Until FFXII, status spells working on bosses was so rare that pretty much no one ever bothered to cast them.
A lot of bosses in the FF games have status weaknesses that you'd only figure out if you read the strategy guides. 5 was the biggest offender in that regard. In 4 virtually every enemy in the game including bosses was vulnerable to slow, but 4 had much more of an emphasis on buff/debuffs than the other games in the series.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Poison can stack several times in FFVII. I can afflict it on that Japanese boss about seven times to negate that drat healing he does. I should have used it more often as it worked on several bosses.
Wait for it to kill them and defend.

Consider my mind blown. I love using Bio and have relied on it up until now, but never noticed it stacking.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Tales of Vesperia:

Christ, where to begin, this whole game is a Guide Dang It, despite it being awesome.

1. Never sell your starting weapons, or any other weapons, really. This becomes clear to you in the first few hours of the game once you're introduced to synthesis. Don't sell synth'd weapons either as some have 2 paths they can go down on and if you're trying to get every skill for a character, you'll want to synth both versions.

2. Any time you purify an aer krene, go back to the scene where you fought the boss/purified the krene, there'll usually be a cutscene involving a recurring character whose name and purpose you'll find out later in the game.

3. Explore towns thoroughly, talk to everyone, upon going to a new place, or returning to a place you've been before for plot related reasons.

4. Dahngrest is a hub for a lot of the optional quest stuff, make ESPECIALLY sure to chat everyone up on return trips here. Also, after a certain character is killed in that city, sleep at the inn with Karol in your party until he learns a skill.

5. A chunk of early game quests, as well as early game quests that spill into the late game are separated by the game's 3 chapters. Basically, you'll want to return to towns you've been in after getting your first mode of transport, then second mode of transport, the second being especially important as right after getting it you are taken on a plot-ride where you'll be practically on-rails to the end of that section of the game, and talk to everyone within, especially people you did not notice to be there before. Finally, before embarking on the quest to the last dungeon, which you will know, visit around, especially the place you just left!

6. End game stuff. Once you hear the word Aurnion, you can start exploring those rocky formations you've been seeing on the world map. Also, there's no point in doing any melee other than the 100/200 as the only prize prior to the 100 is gels and doubling the (pathetic) amount of gald you payed to get there.

philihp
Jun 1, 2008
The World Ends With You

When you think you're about to finish the game, you've only just begun.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SNOT CORN posted:

Anybody got anything to say about the last boss of Yakuza 2?
So far its the most frustrating fight I've ever had in a video game
Go into it with a couple of katanas or something. As I recall, there's one that does some sort of stun in addition to a shitload of damage. Fight goes something like this: stun, stun, stun, heat move, obligatory ho ho now I'm really mad cutscene, stun, stun, stun, heat move, end cutscene.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Morpheus posted:

I'm about to start playing Ultima 4 (I'm on a retro kick at the moment), and could use any tips anyone can give.

Pay attention to the virtue system as you will need to grind virtue in order to win. Make regular visits to the seer in Castle Britannia and ask about the different virtues.
The most useful early weapon is the sling. Everyone can use it and it requires no ammo. Make sure you understand the runic language as you'll need it to find certain items.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Morganus_Starr posted:

Final Fantasy VIII? Tips?

I just remember "I choose you, Cactaur!" being a game-winning strategy. And the slowest 'airship' ever.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I've decided to try and beat Seiken Densetsu 3 / Secret of Mana 2.

I'm about 5 game hours in, and it's actually HARD. Like secret of mana is a game you can blow through with no effort.
Here I always feel like I'm barely surviving bosses.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Rirse posted:

Also what are some good tips on Force Unleashed. Just finished Cloud City, but there still seems to be more left in the game before it's finished.

Be nimble. Don't just stand in one place and swing at people. There are many times when you'll be up against large groups, or people that block almost everything. Knowing several quick combos that don't chain you into a pattern for 8 hits is helpful to keep you available to dodge and move.

Also if you haven't done this already, power up the lightsaber damage skills. It's one of those things that seems obvious, but in a game that's all about Force powers it's easy to forget things like that.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.

Coffee Jones posted:

I've decided to try and beat Seiken Densetsu 3 / Secret of Mana 2.

I'm about 5 game hours in, and it's actually HARD. Like secret of mana is a game you can blow through with no effort.
Here I always feel like I'm barely surviving bosses.

The hard part I've always found is the healing. Without spending an alot of money on items, especially at the beginning of the game, healing is hard to come by until you get your class change. And assuming you have Carlie, Kevin or Duran. If you don't, you're stuck with healing via items. But if you have someone who can heal, poo poo gets alot easier.

There are some hard parts in that game though. On my first run through Geneva gave me some trouble, as well as the god drat never-ending Island of Bucca.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
If you took Hawk, just remember that the light side classes suck and his dark side classes are game breakers.

Also, I thought the hardest boss fight in the game was Lugar. He just hits his specials all the goddamn time.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 6, 2009

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Also, a lot of the later bosses (Lugar, for instance) will use specials on you automatically every time you use a level 2 or 3 special, so make sure to order your allies to stick with their level 1 specials.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Other than the OP does anyone have tips for Odin Sphere? I just picked it up and I'm a little overwhelmed with the phozon/psypher/food balance.

Coffee Jones posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3
Get to the town that has the Black Market. I forget which one it is, but you can only enter at night. Inside look for the item shop. One of the items is a green pot, I think it's called Poto Oil though I may be mistaken. Stock up on these, it's an awesome healing item that heals your entire party for a good amount.

Kevin is probably the best character. Look up on gamefaqs for good class changes, some are awesome and some are terrible.

Salt Block Party fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 6, 2009

The Noodle Incident
Aug 23, 2007
I DON’T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!
Here is one for FFXII I didn't see:

There is an item called the Nihopalaoa, an accessory that reverses what healing items do. For example, a potion that cures x amount of hp normally would now cause x amount of damage. Doesn't sound very useful, as potions usually don't do that much.

However, use a remedy with it equipped and it will cause every negative status effect that the target is not immune to. Very helpful against bosses, as lots of them can at least have some negative status effects.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Anyone got some tips for Illusion of Gaia? I'm at Mu at the moment, just want to make sure there isn't a critical amount of red gems that I need or some other such.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

NonContradiction posted:

Anyone got some tips for Illusion of Gaia? I'm at Mu at the moment, just want to make sure there isn't a critical amount of red gems that I need or some other such.

The Red Gems are only to access the bonus dungeon, which doesn't really have anything it other than a tough boss fight. You need all 40, and if you already missed some there is absolutely no way to go back for them.

Beyond that, just make sure you kill every enemy in the zone before moving on to get the most stat ups and explore throughly, some of the stages (Mu espicially) are confusing as hell.

Oh, and the bosses just get more and more annoying, the boss of the desert temple is espicially bad if I recall. Oh, and both Soulblazer and Terranigma are much better games in my opinion, but IoG has a certain bizzare charm.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Zushio posted:

Beyond that, just make sure you kill every enemy in the zone before moving on to get the most stat ups and explore throughly, some of the stages (Mu espicially) are confusing as hell.
Don't worry too much about getting every single stat-up for killing all the monsters. When you beat the boss of a stage the game will give you all the ones you missed.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Hamelin posted:

Don't worry too much about getting every single stat-up for killing all the monsters. When you beat the boss of a stage the game will give you all the ones you missed.

Well I'll be damned, I really did not know that. It really makes things much easier.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

NonContradiction posted:

Ah, yes, one of my favorite games of all time!

Here's the main thing. After you unlock the boss chamber (you'll know), it is possible to get Freedan for use against the bosses. You backtrack along the second level. His Dark Space is right after a row of six retracting spikes.

I've always thought Mu was the most annoying area of the game. Its bosses are the most annoying of the game because they require that paying-attention-to-multiple projectiles skill you can only truly gain from vertical shoot-em-ups. But on the good side, it only has one Red Jewel and it's easy to find. Also, the rest of the game is pretty much clear sailing. There's a secret passage you have to find to advance in the Angel Village, but nothing too hard after that. I personally didn't think any of the following bosses were all that difficult.

If you really want a list of Red Jewels, I wrote a piece about that when I was a teenager. (I actually thought I deleted it, but there you go!) Here are some pages from Nintendo Power detailing the process from their point of view.

Click here for the full 575x806 image.

Click here for the full 577x807 image.

Click here for the full 577x807 image.

Click here for the full 605x817 image.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

JawnV6 posted:

Anything I should know about Supreme Commander?

I'm just starting on the PC, had some minor frustrations with how the units move and a few dozen enemies getting spawned on me, but that's probably just my stupidity.

Since the other advice has been very generalised, I'll try and give a quick guide:

-Air kicks rear end. Land can be used for near conflicts, and for the builders, but the end game will be contested mainly between air superiority fighters and bombers
-shields are your friends
-artillery has longer range than base defense, base defense have longer range than normal things
-base defenses are actually really good in this game, allowing you to turtle well
-move up a tier when you safely can, they are exponentially better
-efficiency comes from nearby relevant objects. What this means is that an energy generator next to a factory means less energy costs from that factory, or storage next to a generator means larger output. typically I surround my mass extractors with 6 mass storage devices.
-the best way to have mass production is to have multiple engineering kennels near your factories, helping them along. It's much faster than getting engineers to do it, and doesn't get in the way as much
-there is no tech 3 ground based anti-air, so good luck with that

shaggy--
Nov 9, 2000
Hillary Clinton loves a winner!

Salt Block Party posted:

Other than the OP does anyone have tips for Odin Sphere? I just picked it up and I'm a little overwhelmed with the phozon/psypher/food balance.

When I played through the first time I found I would have a high attack level but not many hit points. I was trying to make complicated recipes and in general it sucked. Then I discovered Yogurt Fruit Mousse. To make this you first have to make the Yogurt Mousse six times.

Yogurt Mousse
Ingredients: Yogurt, Egg
Coin: Ariel
Effects: 2200 EXP, MAX HP+14

You can start making this in CH4 of Cornelius's story at the cafe. After you make it six times you can make Yogurt Fruit Mousse.

Yogurt Fruit Mousse
Ingredients: Yogurt, Mulberry, Egg
Coin: Ariel
Effects: 3300 EXP, MAX HP+24

This poo poo right here is awesome. Lots of exp, good hitpoints, and only 3 recipes. On later characters I was saving up the materials to make the YFM from the time I started until the time I got to the cafe. The only downside to this is that you have to make yogurts, but that's pretty easy to do.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

CloseFriend posted:

Here's the main thing. After you unlock the boss chamber (you'll know), it is possible to get Freedan for use against the bosses. You backtrack along the second level. His Dark Space is right after a row of six retracting spikes.

And this is something you'll want to do because you'll get murdered as Will. It's worth the extra couple minutes of backtracking to go in as Freedan.

InsanityRocks
Oct 28, 2006
I'm a rocker . . I'm a roller too baby!
i've just started to play through chrono trigger on the ds, anyone got any tips?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In Supreme Commander, if you make enough nukes, they can't be taken down. More than one stalemate of mine has been won with multiple nukes.

"But!" you say, "What about anti-nuke artillery! Surely if you build enough-"

Nope. Build enough anti-nuke artillery and it'll just all aim at the same nuke. Ignoring the other five. BOOM.

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

InsanityRocks posted:

i've just started to play through chrono trigger on the ds, anyone got any tips?
I can't really remember anything super important about chrono trigger, just jump in and have fun. It's a pretty easy game.

-Be nice to Marle at the beginning. Or don't, it doesn't really make a difference.
-Keep an eye out for sparkly blue things, they add to one of your characters stats if you pick them up. For an example there's one in the bottom right corner of the woods I think.
-Also in the woods, you can get infinite free Shelters by examining a bush. Not really worth it but helps at the beginning when you're low on money.
-When you get to the future, go through the sewer dungeon (it's later on) to get some nice equipment
-When you get the ability to open the mysterious black boxes, go to them in the past first, say "no" to opening them, then go to the present and open them. You get an upgraded version of whatever was inside.
-The code in Lucca's dream sequence is pressing the L, A, R, A buttons on the controller in that order.
-When you get to the cape in 12000 BC and are prompted to fight with someone, don't

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Salt Block Party posted:

-When you get the ability to open the mysterious black boxes, go to them in the past first, say "no" to opening them, then go to the present and open them. You get an upgraded version of whatever was inside.

You can then go back to past to open the black box. Although it should cause some kind of time paradox, you get to keep both the upgraded and original item.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

InsanityRocks posted:

In addition to what Salt Block Party said, find a woman in Zeal Palace that has a plant next to her. She'll ask you if she should keep it or burn it. Tell her to keep it. If you missed her, you can find her in a fairly obvious location later. However, if you tell her to burn it, you'll lose out on a sidequest.

Also in Zeal, don't forget to figure out the Fire-Water-Wind puzzles in the smaller towns. You'll lose the chance to do so at a given point.

Use Ayla's charm on the bosses in the Black Omen. Also, go through the Black Omen in 1000 AD, that way you can go through it again in the past (and get the items you stole from the final few bosses again).

Don't sell the Demon Hit (treasure in Ocean Palace), as even though it's not Frog's best sword it will be for the large part of a New Game+ (it's impossible to have Frog's best sword carry over to the beginning).

Directly after the Ocean Palace, put Ayla in your party.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1-600-DOCTORB
Nov 29, 2004

Side effects may include gopherism, multi-brow, and tracheal meerkat colonies
Pillbug
I picked up Ar Tonelico 2 for the PS2 last week, and I probably should have handed over my genitals along with my credit card because that game is twelve different kinds of :wtc:.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can explain the battle system better than the tutorials did, particularly with the attack directions and such. I'm about 6 hours in now; I took Cloche's path because seriously that other bitch can go gently caress herself, and so far I've been managing by just building the burst gauge until it hit 10000% or so and then using magic. But now, I'm stuck on a boss fight with that blue dog thing and his robot helpers, so I figure it's time to learn how to actually play the game. :saddowns: