Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I miss Omar already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Trophy Boner posted:

the hell are you talking about
HIMYM uses a laugh track.

Or at least sounds like it does. I've read that the producers show the finished episode to a studio audience and record reaction. If that's true then they consistently get really sedated crowds, because it doesn't feel "real."

Watch any of "Lucky Louie," which was recorded entirely live for an audience, old-school style, and you can hear how real it is. HIMYM doesn't sound like that, it sounds like laugh tracks. Maybe they do play it for a live audience but edit out a lot of it or something. Same basic idea as a laugh track by then, it's no longer an authentic reaction to the material being presented (and there are a LOT of moments in HIMYM that should have/would have gotten a roar [or a groan or whatever] from a real audience that had the same, dull "hehehehehehehehe" laugh track.)

I acknowledge the difference between recording a show live in front of a studio audience and playing a tape on monitors for a studio audience, but even taking that into account it sounds far too canned.

pwn fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Feb 3, 2009

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

ShutteredIn posted:

I'm about halfway done with season 2 of Carnivāle and I know I'm going to be mad as hell at HBO again when I finish this. It's masochistic really.

That's still the best choice you've made in a while...

I just finished up It's Always Sunny and I can't believe I never watched more than a few episodes before.

I just got Rome, so I'm going to start that this week.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought the implication with modern laugh tracks is that they do have a generic "laugh" soundbite that they use, but they still use a live audience to determine when and where it would be used, or something.

HIMYM is really the only laugh track show that I think doesn't let the laugh track bog it down. I won't deny though that I think it'd be better without it.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Zuffox posted:

Yet another crime series with a gimmick.

Watch Lie to Me instead.

...something's weird about this...

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Nate RFB posted:

I thought the implication with modern laugh tracks is that they do have a generic "laugh" soundbite that they use, but they still use a live audience to determine when and where it would be used, or something.

HIMYM is really the only laugh track show that I think doesn't let the laugh track bog it down. I won't deny though that I think it'd be better without it.

In general that isn't true. I was part of the studio audience for Friends, and we could clearly hear my friend's distinctive laugh in the finished episode.

The main problem with being an audience member is that it takes so long to shoot, and you have to watch the same scenes over and over again, and they instruct you to "laugh like you did the first time!".

We got there at 12:30pm, and didn't leave the studio lot until after 10pm. But, we also saw (at a different time) an episode of Just Shoot Me, for some reason, and that one wasn't nearly as long. Maybe 4pm-9pm. At least at Friends they gave you pizza and soda in the middle as an intermission.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

ShutteredIn posted:

I'm about halfway done with season 2 of Carnivāle and I know I'm going to be mad as hell at HBO again when I finish this. It's masochistic really.

Don't worry too much; according to interviews with the creator, if they had done another season they would have shifted pretty heavily from the story in seasons 1 and 2. So even though the series didn't quite feel completed, it's not like we would have gotten more of the same Ben/Justin story.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I'm now in season 4 of The Wire -- *edit* oops, I meant the Shield -- and still enjoying it. I'm really sick and tired of Shane, though. I'm really liking Glen Close's character so far, she seems to be a great addition to the cast.

Taking a break from it though to get through Mad Men because everyone's always talking about it. It's a good show, I can tell why everyone is crazy about it, but I wouldn't personally put it in my favorite shows ever. Definitely great TV, though.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 3, 2009

dannyweapons
Apr 21, 2007
sometimes the internet is gross

Kirbdog posted:

I've also been binging through The Wire lately. I'm halfway through season 2 and apparently I've just gotten over the worst of what the series has to offer. I can't believe the consensus seems to be that season 2 is the slowest, I thought it was some of the most engaging TV I've ever seen. There's always some crazy hyperbole flying back and forth about The Wire but I think it's completely warranted.

I think that your enjoyment of season 2 is dependent on whether or not you grew up around a bunch of guys like the steveadores. (i.e. blue collar, middle class, white people.) If you did, you tend to identify with it way more than the stories told in other seasons and therefore like it better. If you didn't, you think its slow and you really aren't quite sure why it was there to begin with. Although I do have to say that almost every white person I know that watches that show likes that season the best. Whatever that may or may not mean.

Dayewalker posted:

I just recently started watching BSG and managed to finish the first season over the course of the past week. I've been pleasantly surprised by how awesome it is because I'm generally not that big of a fan of sci-fi shows. I really like how there seems to be more of a focus on the human aspect of the show as opposed to having a bunch of goofy Muppet aliens running around.

Hey! I really liked Farscape! :(

Rygel and Pilot 4-eva!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Annakie posted:

I'm now in season 4 of The Wire and still enjoying it. I'm really sick and tired of Shane, though. I'm really liking Glen Close's character so far, she seems to be a great addition to the cast.

Sounds like you're talking about The Shield, not The Wire.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Trying to catch up on all the HBO series I never saw because they ended/were well into the series by the time I got HBO.

In the last couple weeks, I've watched the first two seasons of Oz - great show and I really dig the character development. I wasn't sure what they could do with a show set in prison but it really is very well-done. No thanks to the jackass who managed to crack or scratch the poo poo out of one of the Season 2 discs I rented, and caused me to miss about 20 minutes of one episode, though.

I have to say, it's really funny seeing J.K. Simmons as Vern Schillinger (the skinhead leader). He plays the part well (creepy as gently caress), but it's a bit of a transition from seeing him in a lot of comedies where he plays a "normal" guy (Burn After Reading, Juno, etc.) who isn't creepy in the least.

Also just rented the first season of Deadwood yesterday and I'm enjoying that. The incredible amount of profanity is hilarious - I swear I heard "gently caress" less times in the first hour of Pulp Fiction or Goodfellas than I heard in the first ten minutes of Deadwood - not to mention "cocksucker" and "oval office" a couple of times.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
Okay, I started Big Love last night. Only saw one episode, have the rest of the season waiting by the DVD...I think it's well acted and all and it was fairly entertaining so I think I'll keep watching but part of me is so disgusted at the idea of plural marriages it kinda makes me mad at the wives and resent the husband

dannyweapons
Apr 21, 2007
sometimes the internet is gross

Zealous Abattoir posted:

Okay, I started Big Love last night. Only saw one episode, have the rest of the season waiting by the DVD...I think it's well acted and all and it was fairly entertaining so I think I'll keep watching but part of me is so disgusted at the idea of plural marriages it kinda makes me mad at the wives and resent the husband

I love this show. You will likely continue to resent Bill (the husband) but the show does an EXCELLENT job of showing how/why the wives wound up in a plural marriage throughout later episodes.

Big Love is all about the women of the show. I don't know for sure if you aren't supposed to really like Bill all that much but the writing and the reactions of the people that I know that watch it make me think that you are supposed to resent him.

But seriously, if you go back and think about what makes the show great, it is all of the females and their struggles that stick out and make you care.

dannyweapons fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 3, 2009

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I started watching House again. I stopped at the start of season 3 a couple months ago and last night I needed a break from Skate 2 so I started it again.

Next up is Entourage.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Encryptic posted:

Also just rented the first season of Deadwood yesterday and I'm enjoying that. The incredible amount of profanity is hilarious - I swear I heard "gently caress" less times in the first hour of Pulp Fiction or Goodfellas than I heard in the first ten minutes of Deadwood - not to mention "cocksucker" and "oval office" a couple of times.

The best part is 90% of the profanity is from Al, and the actor who plays him has saying "cocksucker" down to an artform. I wish Al could've gotten his own spinoff show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Deadwood is already pretty much the Swearengen show. When i think of Deadwood the image that comes to my mind isn't Bullock, it's Swearengen.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Zealous Abattoir posted:

See, for me it was the opposite. I finally got how that dynamic worked, and could see why it has been such a big part of history. If every polygamist lived like Bill and his wives, it wouldn't be illegal. But most of them become incestous pedophiles, it seems, in order to keep getting younger wives.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I started watching 24, and I'm up to episode 10 of season 1 and it's starting to get kind of tedious. It was awesome the first 5-6 episodes, but it doesn't seem like anything's happening anymore, like the show's just spinning its wheels. I skipped through a few more eps and it all just seems like the same thing over and over.

Does it pick up soon or should I just give it up?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Trophy Boner posted:

I started watching 24, and I'm up to episode 10 of season 1 and it's starting to get kind of tedious. It was awesome the first 5-6 episodes, but it doesn't seem like anything's happening anymore, like the show's just spinning its wheels. I skipped through a few more eps and it all just seems like the same thing over and over.

It picks up around mid-way through the season. Before then it was '24...oh poo poo, is FOX going to cancel us before 24 episodes...?' So, the initial plotline sort of drags.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Trophy Boner posted:

It kinda fades in and out quality-wise, just make sure you pay special close attention to the scenes with Kim Bauer in them. She's a key player.

The current season running now (Day 7) certainly feels like the best season yet. So far.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Supernatural. I wrote off the show for some reason, but got hooked beginning with the first episode. The show is great and Jensen Ackles is hilarious. Nearly up to date with the show, watching it all in a few days time, I need help.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Trophy Boner posted:

The best part is 90% of the profanity is from Al, and the actor who plays him has saying "cocksucker" down to an artform. I wish Al could've gotten his own spinoff show.

I'm just starting episode 5 at the moment and I couldn't agree more. Ian McShane is fantastic as Al. Such an evil bastard but I can't get enough of him. I know I'm definitely signed on to watch seasons 2 and 3 when I can get my hands on them.

I liked Keith Carradine as Wild Bill and I'm bummed they killed him, but that's true to history of course.

Can't figure how David Milch came up with John From Cincinnati, though. I watched that when it first came on because I had heard how good Deadwood was and that was honestly the most incomprehensible loving thing I've ever seen.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 7, 2009

Puskarich
Nov 26, 2008
Midway through season 2 of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
Awesome.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Encryptic posted:

Can't figure how David Milch came up with John From Cincinnati, though. I watched that when it first came on because I had heard how good Deadwood was and that was honestly the most incomprehensible loving thing I've ever seen.

I think it was a brilliant way to say "gently caress you!" to HBO.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Mu Zeta posted:

I think it was a brilliant way to say "gently caress you!" to HBO.

Parts of it were good though. The only characters I hated were Shawn and Cissy. And Luke Perry.

frontyardninja
Nov 5, 2005

I just picked up the third season of Alias. I feel silly getting into the show this late, but I'm glad I have.

Thanks for the recommendation, book store dude.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Kornpeep posted:

I just picked up the third season of Alias. I feel silly getting into the show this late, but I'm glad I have.

Thanks for the recommendation, book store dude.
It won't be long until the series devolves into shear suck. I'd at least buy one season at a time and watch them until the end, because you're either about or over the turning point.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I finally finished Six Feet Under. For some reason I stopped for a few months once I reached the end of Season 3. Possibly because I read somewhere that Season 4 was really disappointing. When I finally resumed watching it last week, both its opening and closing episodes really impressed me so I powered through S5. I knew what happened at the end of Season 5 but holy poo poo I had no idea it'd affect me so much. Have I spoiled "regular" TV? Is it all downhill from here?

Next up, either Deadwood (never seen) or The Wire (seen most of Season 1). Might as well stick with the HBO.

I've been watching two episodes of The Office a day on the way to work, and I'll have caught up by the end of the week. Hopefully I can find a suitable lighthearted replacement. I've seen all of 30 Rock, Always Sunny, Scrubs, Arrested Development, Weeds etc, so I can't think of what else I might enjoy, unless I put up with a *gasp* laugh track and try to get into How I Met Your Mother again. I could finish the second season of Californication but I don't know if I'd particularly want to watch that on public transport.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 9, 2009

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Zuffox posted:

It won't be long until the series devolves into shear suck. I'd at least buy one season at a time and watch them until the end, because you're either about or over the turning point.

It gets bad, but not unwatchable bad. The only saving grace for me was Julian Sark though, and he didn't show up often.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I've been trying to finish Deadwood but after Season 1 it cannot hold my interest. Oh well, only a few more episodes to go.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

RoryGilmore posted:

It gets bad, but not unwatchable bad. The only saving grace for me was Julian Sark though, and he didn't show up often.
Did you get to the Resident Evil episode?

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Zuffox posted:

Did you get to the Resident Evil episode?

I guess that one was so bad I erased it from memory? I saw the whole series, so I must have seen it.

VV Oh, right :( It's all coming back to me.

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 9, 2009

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

RoryGilmore posted:

I guess that one was so bad I erased it from memory? I saw the whole series, so I must have seen it.
S04E22: Before the Flood. Not that I'd want you to rewatch the episode.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Boosh! posted:

I've been trying to finish Deadwood but after Season 1 it cannot hold my interest. Oh well, only a few more episodes to go.

It's true, Season 1 is probably some of the best character drama ever made, but afterward it kind of drops off and it's hard to stay with, unless you're a fan.

Also, I have decided to go through as many Simpsons as possible, watching a few each day until I want to stab my monitor.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

frumpsnake posted:

I finally finished Six Feet Under. For some reason I stopped for a few months once I reached the end of Season 3. Possibly because I read somewhere that Season 4 was really disappointing. When I finally resumed watching it last week, both its opening and closing episodes really impressed me so I powered through S5. I knew what happened at the end of Season 5 but holy poo poo I had no idea it'd affect me so much. Have I spoiled "regular" TV? Is it all downhill from here?

Next up, either Deadwood (never seen) or The Wire (seen most of Season 1). Might as well stick with the HBO.

I can't say it enough: I'm really enjoying the first season of Deadwood right now.

As far as regular TV goes, I don't watch much of it myself, but AMC has really been hitting it out of the park with Mad Men (which I still can't believe HBO passed on), not to mention Breaking Bad. I believe the first seasons of both are on DVD already and BB Season 2 starts in March (yay!).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Breaking Bad isn't out on DVD for another 2 weeks, but it is an amazing show and everyone should watch it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Tried getting through The Unit, but that show is so bad I felt sick to my stomach.

Watched Dead Like Me a few weeks ago, and the movie just a few days ago, I like the set up but the writers/producers whatever were too scared of offending people.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Finished Season 1 of Deadwood last night and I'm just starting Season 2. God, what a great show.

One of the things I really dig is all the historical context for the plotlines, like the Black Hills being annexed into the US, the telegraph arriving on the scene and the smallpox epidemic. Not to mention the fact that so many real-life Deadwood residents are portrayed in it (Al, Bullock, Merrick, etc.).

I like Westerns, but I really like the focus of Deadwood on the everyday and historical side of the period rather than dramatic gunfights or something.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Breaking Bad isn't out on DVD for another 2 weeks, but it is an amazing show and everyone should watch it.

Huh. Coulda sworn I heard it was, but I stand corrected. :)

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 12, 2009

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

The Sopranos. I'm on the beginning of season 3, and I absolutely cannot stand Janice. The rest of the show is pretty good, though. Sadly IMDB says she's on the show until the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Duckman finally came out on DVD, so I'm rewatching it all for the first time in ages. It's as hilarious as I remember it being. To most people Jason Alexander will always be George Costanza. To me he'll always be Eric Tiberius Duckman.

It's nice to finally have good quality versions of all the episodes and not having to rely on ancient VHS rips (a lot of which are up on youtube if you've never seen the show).

(bonus link)