Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
Just stumbled into a great show by the band Passafire. I was walking back from a night out on a business trip and heard them playing in Emos here in Austin, TX. They were a lot of fun, but I had never heard of them before. I'd give 'em a listen, they're more reggae than ska, but still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

lessthankyle posted:

Just stumbled into a great show by the band Passafire. I was walking back from a night out on a business trip and heard them playing in Emos here in Austin, TX. They were a lot of fun, but I had never heard of them before. I'd give 'em a listen, they're more reggae than ska, but still good.

Okay these guys are awesome

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

Guys, how can I tell the difference between first wave ska and reggae? It is my understanding that first wave is basically reggae with horns but can it be reggae and still have horns? Is there anything else that will make something definitely ska?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

trans fat, just look for songs with the bass drum and rim click on the downbeats, and the open hihat on the upbeats. And don't forget the occasional syncopated rhythm on the bell of the cymbal!! You know, the one that is in every single Hepcat song ever recorded.

In all seriousness, I don't know if it's fair to say, but traditional ska is definitely much more mechanical than reggae, but that's what makes it catchy, and I think that's what makes it different. Because reggae seems to focus on the groove/jam, while ska is more about laying down a foundation and then working from that (like jazz charts). Even downtempo ska has a different energy to it than reggae because of the gallop, like a train that's coming into the station. But the thing to remember is that reggae was spun off from ska, so there is always going to be some overlap.

And that reminds me. New Westbound Train album comes out April 21st!! You'll all get it and love it because I'll make you.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I won't get it (because I've never listened to them before)

First-wave sounding, third wave, what

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I won't get it (because I've never listened to them before)
They were the band that got me more interested in older ska and rocksteady in the first place. Westbound Train and Deals Gone Bad are good gateway drugs to the old ska sounds, because they also have elements of soul and Motown in their music, and pretty good production values.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Quest For Glory II posted:

And that reminds me. New Westbound Train album comes out April 21st!! You'll all get it and love it because I'll make you.

Nice. One of the only bands still around that's worth listening to.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
Didn't see it mentioned and forgive me if it had-

Streetlight, NOFX, Big D, Less Than Jake, Flogging Molly, The Ataris, Bad Religion, and Anti-Flag( last half are punk but I've never met a ska fan who wasn't a punk fan) are gonna be on Warped Tour this year. Hopefully they're spread evenly so you can have an entire day of ska/punk.

Makes it worth wading through all the hardcore and metal kids to see.

Also, anybody else disappointed that RBF's new album is all covers?

buttslave fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 7, 2009

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Yeah, I was hoping for originals too. I've loved RBF for years, but I haven't been as big on their last couple efforts. I'm hoping they find their groove again soon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Quest For Glory II posted:

They were the band that got me more interested in older ska and rocksteady in the first place. Westbound Train and Deals Gone Bad are good gateway drugs to the old ska sounds, because they also have elements of soul and Motown in their music, and pretty good production values.

I was supposed to see Deal's Gone Bad this summer but they canceled the show for some reason

Think I'll give it a miss, I'm not big on older ska and such

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dundee McFluffers posted:

Didn't see it mentioned and forgive me if it had-

Streetlight, NOFX, Big D, Less Than Jake, Flogging Molly, The Ataris, Bad Religion, and Anti-Flag( last half are punk but I've never met a ska fan who wasn't a punk fan) are gonna be on Warped Tour this year. Hopefully they're spread evenly so you can have an entire day of ska/punk.

Makes it worth wading through all the hardcore and metal kids to see.

Also, anybody else disappointed that RBF's new album is all covers?

Replace the ataris, anti-flag, and big d with the bouncing souls and you got yourself a kickass show.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Replace the ataris, anti-flag, and big d with the bouncing souls and you got yourself a kickass show.

Hey, I like Big D <:mad:>

DRD
Aug 8, 2008

I just saw The English Beat last night with Big D and my friend's band Infinite Detour. I was really impressed with the English Beat, they played a really long set and I wish I knew more of their stuff when I saw them.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Dundee McFluffers posted:

Hey, I like Big D <:mad:>

I'm from the Boston area and love ska so I should like them too, but I could never get into them. Even saw them open for The Bosstones last year and felt it was eh.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm from the Boston area and love ska so I should like them too, but I could never get into them. Even saw them open for The Bosstones last year and felt it was eh.

It doesn't help that the lead singer's voice sounds like someone scraping nails on a chalkboard.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

It doesn't help that the lead singer's voice sounds like someone scraping nails on a chalkboard.

Yet I love Dicky Barrett :confused:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

DRD posted:

I just saw The English Beat last night with Big D and my friend's band Infinite Detour. I was really impressed with the English Beat, they played a really long set and I wish I knew more of their stuff when I saw them.

The Beat did own. I think it's just the lead singer and some guys now, though.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Yet I love Dicky Barrett :confused:

Dicky Barrett has a voice that is as rough and gravelly as an unfinished road, which is unbelievably badass, but the singer from Big D sounds like he's swallowed too much helium.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Dicky Barrett has a voice that is as rough and gravelly as an unfinished road, which is unbelievably badass, but the singer from Big D sounds like he's swallowed too much helium.

While scraping nails on a chalk board? ;)

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

FateoMcSkippy posted:

While scraping nails on a chalk board? ;)

I wasn't saying his voice was literally nails on a chalk board, it's an analogy, Seņor Skippy.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

The streetlight show last night was pretty good. The only difference from the last time I saw them was Tomas opened the encore with the acoustic Sick and Sad. And the encore didn't include Dear Sergio this time.

And the concert was way oversold which kind of sucked.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Sandwolf posted:

Nah, he just sounds whiny. I can't seem to like Strictly Rude and that might be the reason.

HavveK
Aug 3, 2008

Aww Cute Kitty! posted:

Nah, he just sounds whiny. I can't seem to like Strictly Rude and that might be the reason.

Recently I put on Strictly Rude but forgot to change the speed to 45. I left it at 33 because it sounds pretty awesome slowed down. He doesn't sound whiny then, he sounds like he was possessed by a demon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I picked up a physical copy of Hello Rockview yesterday, finally, for 7 bucks

I want to nominate this album for best album ever and also best liner notes ever

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I prefer Losing Streak but they are both phenomenal albums.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
seriously though best liner notes ever

comic book with the credits as an ad poo poo yes

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Dickeye posted:

I was supposed to see Deal's Gone Bad this summer but they canceled the show for some reason

I think the lead singer had to get his appendix taken out.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sounds about right, it was end of July-ish, 4point0 was going to do a show with them and half of the bands canceled the day before

Ended up being 4point0, the Action, and some acoustic folk-punk act opening

dnz
Jul 18, 2008

Aww Cute Kitty! posted:

It's ok, just about everyone does. Listen to something earlier.

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

Good Luck is a more accessible Big D album than Strictly Rude, though I like Strictly Rude quite a bit.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I think Strictly Rude is a great album. It strays away from ska though and it has a few songs that drag the album down (Snake Bite and Deadpan) but overall I love it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Was Good Luck the one with LAX bcause that was a bad album

A Bad Album

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Dickeye posted:

Was Good Luck the one with LAX bcause that was a bad album

A Bad Album

That would be How It Goes

My personal favorites are Gipsy Hill and Shot by Lammi

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
OK cool then maybe I'll give Good Luck a shot

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Gipsy Hill is the best Big D release imo

I really like Checklist

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mysterious Aftertaste posted:

Gipsy Hill is the best Big D release imo

I really like Checklist
Me too. I also like How It Goes, for a very specific reason. I bought the tracks out of order, and they just so happened to be the best songs. I totally get why people hate How it Goes, because Big D, for whatever reason, put their weakest material at the front of the CD (tracks 2-5, specifically). But if you cut out the 8-9 lovely songs, it still leaves an LP-length album of decent-to-good material (12 songs).

I guess Big D is just bad at quality control and making creative decisions. I thought Strictly Rude and Strictly Thrash were mediocre albums, but if you were to combine some of the songs from both albums together, it would make one solid album. Making two separate CDs was a terrible idea. I think they tend to throw a ton of stuff at the wall to see what sticks, but then they end up selling all of it anyway.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Dickeye posted:

OK cool then maybe I'll give Good Luck a shot

You won't regret it, it's definitely worth a listen. I think that was the album that first introduced me to their music, it's a shame their newer stuff wasn't as good. I don't hate How It Goes though, you just have to wade through the crap to find the good songs

alvinthegreat
Feb 23, 2008
I got to see Deal's Gone Bad a couple weeks back at the Ska Is Dead show. They put on a really good show, but I can see how those who lean towards the more modern punk-ska might not care too much for them. Since joining the Street Vendors, though, I've really gotten into the trad ska, so they're right up my alley.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

Streetlight Manifesto posted:

02.11.2009 | Oh, Like You've Never Been Late
Soooo, just a tidbit or two from our end:

We will be making our TV debut on FOX sometime in the next few weeks. We recently taped a few songs at the Fearless TV studios for their show. I'm pretty sure it was the first time we ever played without an audience in front of us, but worry not, lyrics were forgotten and stuff was knocked over, just like at a real life Streetlight show. Then we spent a few minutes doing an awkward on camera interview that probably seemed hilarious at the time but will come across as, well, awkward when it airs. Good times. We'll keep you posted on when it will air so our parents can Tivo it and show everyone come the '09 holiday season.

There's a 10% off everything sale going on at The Risc Store (including all SM merch of course) now. Add something to your cart and it will be deducted automatically.

Lastly, regarding the 99 Songs of Revolution Project: we're wrapping up recording and mixing in the next few weeks. We'll have a track list up soon, and more info on its release is on the way. It will definitely be in stores (or somehow available for pirating) by the time Warped rolls around. Scouts honor.

Which year Warped tour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mix.lunar
Aug 15, 2007
I'm guessing 09' since they're on the 09' Warped Tour. Also lolwut at Thomas and all of Streetlight getting an album done on time.

mix.lunar fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 11, 2009