Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Razor posted:

It's not the best song on its album. Also, the production is fine; so what if it wasn't recorded on an 8-track player in a forest?

There are certain black metal albums that I think can benefit from good production(I like 1184 and Carriers of Dust, for instance) but black/thrash basically always works better if it's raw and dirty. Doesn't need to be S.V.E.S.T or Burzum or something, but I don't think production as crystal clear as this works with the music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Any Old Irony posted:

There are certain black metal albums that I think can benefit from good production(I like 1184 and Carriers of Dust, for instance) but black/thrash basically always works better if it's raw and dirty. Doesn't need to be S.V.E.S.T or Burzum or something, but I don't think production as crystal clear as this works with the music.

I wouldn't say always... Absu, Blood Tsunami, and Toxic Holocaust are all excellent black/thrash bands that have decent production values. I know the first two are surprisingly disliked around here, but NMD creams itself over Toxic Holocaust all the time.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Razor posted:

I wouldn't say always... Absu, Blood Tsunami, and Toxic Holocaust are all excellent black/thrash bands that have decent production values. I know the first two are surprisingly disliked around here, but NMD creams itself over Toxic Holocaust all the time.

I feel similarly about Toxic Holocaust as I do about Absu, actually. Different strokes, I guess; about a year ago I would've been eating this stuff up.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 23, 2020

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Death Rotisserie posted:

The new Blut Aus Nord is loving fantastic. I was doubtful that Vindisval could put out a successor to Memoria Vetusta I but having listen to this album about half a dozen times, it really does feel like MVII. Definitely top 10 of 2009 material.

Holy poo poo yes!

I love every album from BaN (perhaps not Ultima Thulee), but Memoria Vetusta I has been the favourite. And they manage to create the same atmosphere on the new album. The opening riffs on Disciple's Liberation is loving great! Tingles down my spine.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
alright so i'm about to support my texas brothers and get some absu... the only stuff i've heard of theirs is a mayhem cover, and from listening to you guys its sounding like its going to be in the vein of watain or celtic frost... am i right?

Sluglord
Aug 10, 2006

This is Serious.

Any Old Irony posted:

I agree, a little fuzz in black/thrash sets that erie, grim mood thats so pleasing to the senses.

Think
Sep 20, 2005

pugna posted:

I got back to the UK this morning after travelling to Helsinki to see Temnozor and Kroda and ungghh, it was so good. Pictures and videos coming soon.

I envy the hell out of you. Especially for Kroda, Fimbulvinter is one of my favourite BM albums.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 23, 2020

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Listening to the new Infernal War EP and it's pretty bitchin.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Diseased Yak posted:

Also, the new Blut Aus Nord is fantastic.

What's the production like on that? Is it still awesomely weird?

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

BranceMulliganPI posted:

What's the production like on that? Is it still awesomely weird?

More in the vein of Memoria Vetusta I. You can say the production is more traditional and clean. Also some people hate the programmed drums, but I find them awesome.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Razor posted:

TH's production is the brightest I want to hear black/thrash sound. Beyond that it starts sounding like pop.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Ah yes, black pop, the latest craze sweeping the teenage nation

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

corpsed posted:

I just found the band Carach Angren. Some serious kickass symphonic black metal. Check out their MySpace. You'd probably like it.

Going back several pages -- I forgot about this thread -- but my word, this is like black metal meets Heroes of Might and Magic music.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

pugna posted:

Temnozor and Kroda pictures: http://abortedfoetus.com/kroda_temnozor/
I think that's the first time I've seen a metal bassist playing with sheet music. Also I was hoping to see horns for Pathways of Fate :/

cryme posted:

Ah yes, black pop, the latest craze sweeping the teenage nation
Lifelover :D

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

het posted:

owns

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

cryme posted:

owns

As does Alcest. I likes me some smooth tunes.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 9, 2009

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

het posted:

BranceMulliganPI posted:

Alcest

Kenny G tried metal?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Morbid Florist posted:

TH's production is the brightest I want to hear black/thrash sound. Beyond that it starts sounding like pop.

I want Toxic Holocaust to sound like Beyonce on their next release. I cannot possibly be the only one who wants this :colbert:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I would love to hear someone do to actual hosed-up pop in a black metal style what Mike Patton did to pop in a Mike Patton style with Peeping Tom.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Morbid Florist posted:

Kenny G tried metal?
I dunno, Lifelover isn't very easy-listening (though Alcest certainly is), Lifelover's just sort of weird and hard to classify aside from having an obvious black metal and post-punk influence while not being categorizable as either

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

het posted:

I dunno, Lifelover isn't very easy-listening (though Alcest certainly is), Lifelover's just sort of weird and hard to classify aside from having an obvious black metal and post-punk influence while not being categorizable as either

That's kind of how I feel about Loveless before they went all-out-pop.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 23, 2020

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

pugna posted:

Kroda had horns, but I didn't get a photo. They had a variety of wacky instruments! They even had the 'dwang dwang' mouth thingy.

The mouth harp is the new fuzzy guitar in black metal.

Seriously, when will someone bring steel drums into the genre?

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

het posted:

Owns loving hard.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Mordekai posted:

Owns loving hard.

At least their album covers do.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Kaiho posted:

Wardruna brought all kinds of cool instruments on board. I'm hoping a few start seeping into black metal. Especially FIRE. When I heard that on the album I knew I hadn't been lied to when they listed all the things they played.

Playing fire is loving :black101:

Oldstench posted:

At least their album covers do.

That frozen fence I saw on their myspace was a loving sweet picture, I'll give them that much.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 10, 2009

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Kaiho posted:

I'm imagining steel drums in Dimmu Borgir's Entrance now...

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Openknees posted:

I'm imagining steel drums in Dimmu Borgir's Entrance now...

Souls on arrival Bink Bink Bonk

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Kaiho posted:

I remember laughing my rear end off when I got Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik. Part III's sudden BWOIOIOING is so unexpected.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kaiho posted:

Master's Hammer had a timpani in 19 loving 91

BosendorferIstKrieg
Apr 1, 2008

holy/violence

Misogynist posted:

Frantic Bleep - The Sense Apparatus

Negura Bunget - Om, 'n Crugu Bradului
Peccatum - Lost in Reverie, The Moribund People

Frantic Bleep need to get off their asses and record the new album.

I'd also suggest Allotropic/Metamorphic Genesis of Dimorphism for ...And Oceans goodness. Also, their new work as Havoc Unit is some awesome poo poo.

Everyone needs to give ColdWorld a listen, though.

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

BosendorferIstKrieg posted:

Everyone needs to give ColdWorld a listen, though.

ColdWorld is awesome. Great album name too. Melancholie2

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So the other day I put in Immortal's At the Heart of Winter in my car stereo for the first time.

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Why had I not listened to this before.

All I really listened to of theirs before was Sons of Northern Darkness, and I enjoyed it, but didn't listen to it much. but this... is all their other stuff like this?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

At the Heart of Winter rules but their best album is Pure Holocaust. It's one of the best black albums ever made. :colbert:

Get all their albums except for blizzard beasts. They all have good tracks except for BB.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Morbid Florist posted:

At the Heart of Winter rules but their best album is Pure Holocaust. It's one of the best black albums ever made. :colbert:

Get all their albums except for blizzard beasts. They all have good tracks except for BB.

I tried that awhile ago and couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another spin.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Morbid Florist posted:

Thank god someone agrees with me finally. You'd think with the lineup they had on the album it may have been their best, but start to finish it's just garbage production wise which simply makes it unlistenable. I always hear people saying it's their best though.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

CornHolio posted:

So the other day I put in Immortal's At the Heart of Winter in my car stereo for the first time.

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Why had I not listened to this before.

All I really listened to of theirs before was Sons of Northern Darkness, and I enjoyed it, but didn't listen to it much. but this... is all their other stuff like this?

If you like Sons and Heart, get Damned in Black.

All those albums complement each other VERY WELL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I tried that awhile ago and couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another spin.

If you don't like the original black metal sound, under production, you won't like it. It grows on you though. The title track and Frozen by Icewinds were the songs to hook me.