Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I want to pick up a bass for recording purposes. I played around with them for a while at Guitar Center and a couple stores today. My current idea is to get either the sexy 70s Squier Jazz Bass with the black blocks and binding, or a Squier P Bass special with 2 pickups, or the SX equivalent of either of those. I've read this whole thread and haven't really gotten any conclusive answers...how does Squier compare to SX? I liked the Jazz Bass when I played it, it had some decent tones even though I don't really know much about bass. I quite possibly would replace the pickups with GFS if that would be an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

No one?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'd written up a reply but decided against posting it since I'm not speaking from personal experience.

In any event, the consensus is that low-end Squier stuff is pretty terrible. This mostly applies to the Affinity series last I checked, so I don't know if the P/J bass ones are any better. If all you're looking for is a good low-range value bass, you can't go wrong with Ibanez.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Dundee McFluffers posted:

I've noticed my fretting hand is slow and I'm having trouble using two fingers to play with. Anybody have some exercises or techniques to help me play faster?
There's a book out there called "Bass Fitness" that's helped me quite a bit in the speed/accuracy departments. What sort of trouble are you having with the two-finger approach?

Rashomon posted:

I want to pick up a bass for recording purposes. I played around with them for a while at Guitar Center and a couple stores today. My current idea is to get either the sexy 70s Squier Jazz Bass with the black blocks and binding, or a Squier P Bass special with 2 pickups, or the SX equivalent of either of those. I've read this whole thread and haven't really gotten any conclusive answers...how does Squier compare to SX? I liked the Jazz Bass when I played it, it had some decent tones even though I don't really know much about bass. I quite possibly would replace the pickups with GFS if that would be an improvement.
Squier Affinity reads to me like "Squier Poop." Their vintage modified line has been quite well received, however, and the one that I tried at Best Buy of all places was pretty well put-together. The one that you're talking about with the black blocks is in the vintage modified line and will be hard to go wrong with.

SX is sort of in the same class as the Squier non-VM, but the 70s Squier is loaded with Duncan-designed pickups, and while I'm not the biggest fan of Duncan, they're going to be better than the stock pickups in the SX.

Also agreeing with Jan and restating that it's hard to find a bad Ibanez.

scuz fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 9, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rashomon posted:

The VM Jazz is absolutely giggable right off the rack (assuming its properly set-up). I did a review of one on here a while back. Feels very solid and well put together, although it has a clearly "machined" feel to it. The pickups on the one I tried were a bit noisy, so maybe do some shielding, but other than that, no immediate need to replace the bridge, tuners, pickups, etc.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

Yeah, I like Ibanez, but unfortunately all their low end basses are extremely ugly (in my opinion).

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I've just borrowed a friends bass after playing the guitar for 5 years and the action seems awfully high to me. The string's above the 12th fret are about 1.5cm above the fretboard. Is this high or am I a guitar ignoramus?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I've just borrowed a friends bass after playing the guitar for 5 years and the action seems awfully high to me. The string's above the 12th fret are about 1.5cm above the fretboard. Is this high or am I a guitar ignoramus?
That's high, but it's not too above average. I believe mine is around 1.25cm at the 12th, but ~4 years ago (on a different bass) it was substantially higher than that due to a rather poor neck and my playing much loud metal.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

scuz posted:

That's high, but it's not too above average. I believe mine is around 1.25cm at the 12th, but ~4 years ago (on a different bass) it was substantially higher than that due to a rather poor neck and my playing much loud metal.

Wow, really? My A and D strings (highest due to radiusing) are 4mm off the fretboard at the 12th fret.

edit: measuring to the bottom of the string that is since that's how much clearance it actually is.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 9, 2009

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

Wow, really? My A and D strings (highest due to radiusing) are 4mm off the fretboard at the 12th fret.
Well I'm measuring them from here (work) with my brain (muscle memory) and the last knuckle of my pinky (1 inch exactly, which is roughly 2cm), so I guess my 12th fret action is closer to 1cm. :downs: I will actually measure it when I get home.

I also need a higher action because of my decision to use a pick when playing punk music, which is pretty much all I play.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rashomon posted:

Yeah, I like Ibanez, but unfortunately all their low end basses are extremely ugly (in my opinion).

Any cutaway bass is ugly. :haw:

And my action is at around 5mm at 12 fret -- I haven't measured, but I had it lowered a lot. A bit too much I guess, I get some buzzing on higher frets.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yes I have a question, I'd like to get a sound like the bass in this song. I have a Fender jazz bass but I'm looking toward purchasing a 5 string bass.
My guess is that flatwound strings would help, right? What kind of other equipment and effects would lead toward producing a sound such as that?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bonus posted:

Yes I have a question, I'd like to get a sound like the bass in this song. I have a Fender jazz bass but I'm looking toward purchasing a 5 string bass.
My guess is that flatwound strings would help, right? What kind of other equipment and effects would lead toward producing a sound such as that?

Pretty typical reggae sound actually. Only listened to about 30 sec of the bassline, lowest note I hear is an E, so unless he's going lower later in the song a 5-string isn't necessary. It's likely done on a Jazz or Precision bass.

You are right that flatwounds will help. But in addition to that, focus most of your volume-mix on your neck pickup, like 75-90% and only turn up your bridge pickup MAX to about 10%. Then just roll off the tone-knob until you get the desired sound. It will also help to adjust your fingering up closer to the neck if you're not already doing so. I'd say sound the notes directly over the neck pickup, or a tad closer to the neck.

The EQ on your amp will play a big role as well. Focus on slightly boosting your lows and low mids (like in the 40hz to 250hz range) with the lows boosted slightly more than the low mids. You might even want to cut the highs depending on how bright your amp is. But start with them flat.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 11, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm going to buy a bass on the 27th from Rondo, and it doesn't come with a thumbrest. I guess that's normal, but the only bass I've ever played is my cousin's, and it does have a thumbrest. Should I get one, or is it frowned upon?

If it's only a matter of preference, does anybody have an idea of where I can get one for cheap? Allparts has one for $2.50, but I'm not paying $7 shipping for a part that weighs a gram or so.

EDIT: Speaking of flatwounds, where can I get a 6-string set of flatwounds? Am I doomed to buying a 5 string set and adding an individual string from juststrings?

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Feb 11, 2009

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
I don't think you'll need a thumbrest with that bass. Your thumb will either be anchored by the pickup (bridge or neck or alternating depending on the sound you wish to produce), or it will be floating. Head on over to talkbass.com and look into "floating thumb". Many people prefer it, but I'm too used to old ways to change.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Also, are you sure you need a six string? They can be heavy and can kill your back if you don't have the proper straps.

Also, flatwounds, while great sounding, don't work on every bass out there IMO. They are also strung a little tighter due to how they are built. The tension will be _t_i_g_h_t_. I'd suggest sticking with non-flatwounds for a while.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm going to buy a bass on the 27th from Rondo, and it doesn't come with a thumbrest. I guess that's normal, but the only bass I've ever played is my cousin's, and it does have a thumbrest. Should I get one, or is it frowned upon?

If it's only a matter of preference, does anybody have an idea of where I can get one for cheap? Allparts has one for $2.50, but I'm not paying $7 shipping for a part that weighs a gram or so.

EDIT: Speaking of flatwounds, where can I get a 6-string set of flatwounds? Am I doomed to buying a 5 string set and adding an individual string from juststrings?

Yeah, thumbrests aren't really necessary. If you're new to bass and not set in your ways just yet, I'd highly recommend looking into learning to float your thumb. Aside from the benefits of being able to mute more easily, I find it has helped decrease my hand fatigue by about 10-fold; I'm not stretching across my strings when I move up to the D and G. And good lord, definitely with a 6-string this would be a MUST in my opinion.

As for the strings, I'd email JustStrings about it. They have a great customer service department. If they don't have any 6-string sets, I'm sure they could tell you where to look or put you in contact with a manufacturer.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Schatten posted:

Also, are you sure you need a six string? They can be heavy and can kill your back if you don't have the proper straps.

Also, flatwounds, while great sounding, don't work on every bass out there IMO. They are also strung a little tighter due to how they are built. The tension will be _t_i_g_h_t_. I'd suggest sticking with non-flatwounds for a while.

I'm not exactly going to be gigging anytime soon, and I mostly only play sitting down anyway. I tried out a 6 string at guitar center, and it felt fine to me. I wanted flatwounds because I'm used to them on Guitar.

Scarf posted:

Yeah, thumbrests aren't really necessary. If you're new to bass and not set in your ways just yet, I'd highly recommend looking into learning to float your thumb. Aside from the benefits of being able to mute more easily, I find it has helped decrease my hand fatigue by about 10-fold; I'm not stretching across my strings when I move up to the D and G. And good lord, definitely with a 6-string this would be a MUST in my opinion.

As for the strings, I'd email JustStrings about it. They have a great customer service department. If they don't have any 6-string sets, I'm sure they could tell you where to look or put you in contact with a manufacturer.

I'll hold out on the thumbrest, and give that technique a try. And I'll definitely shoot them an email.

I really don't see the big deal about 6 strings...I've played a few of them at Guitar Center for a couple of hours at a time, and I feel very comfortable and natural with them, and I appreciate the range. To be honest, I'm buying this bass because I'm sick of my cousin's. It was made of Mesquite wood by some backwoods redneck in the 80s, the string spacing is off, it smells like cat piss, and we don't have a cat. When I play it, I find myself trying to get to notes uncomfortably because there's no string on top of the G. When I play the 6 string, I feel...satisfied. Not in a gross way, but just satisfied because I can ascend to a note that I feel is appropriate to start descending at. And if I want to go to a lower note, I can do so comfortably and without detuning. Maybe it's just personal preference...

EDIT: Found some!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a speed-playing question!

I'm a big fan of Paddy Costello, the bassist for Dillinger Four, and the way the dude plays the bass seems a mystery to me. Finding clips on youtube of how he plays is sort of hard (especially since his tubby rear end usually has his shirt off during shows, god bless him), but here's a half-way decent one, and this one would be better if there weren't people bouncing around, but there's a couple good shots in there. Anyhoo, things I can figure out on my own:
  • He plays over the pickups
  • His bass is sorta low-slung
  • Uses the thumb-over-the-neck technique
I've been playing my bass at the bridge with a 1.0mm pick and my hand gets pretty sore after a short time, which I think is just cuz I'm a wuss. It could be because the strings have more resistance at the bridge than over the pickups, too. Throughout my bass playing career (if you could call it that) I've never been able to do the thumb-over-the-neck technique, which I'm guessing would help with muting all of the strings I'm not playing. I'm also guessing that this is how he can seemingly strum the bass and still only make one note come out, but like I said, it's a mystery.

Any tips? If I haven't been clear about something up there or if you need more information, let me know.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

scuz posted:

I have a speed-playing question!

I'm a big fan of Paddy Costello, the bassist for Dillinger Four, and the way the dude plays the bass seems a mystery to me. Finding clips on youtube of how he plays is sort of hard (especially since his tubby rear end usually has his shirt off during shows, god bless him), but here's a half-way decent one, and this one would be better if there weren't people bouncing around, but there's a couple good shots in there. Anyhoo, things I can figure out on my own:
  • He plays over the pickups
  • His bass is sorta low-slung
  • Uses the thumb-over-the-neck technique
I've been playing my bass at the bridge with a 1.0mm pick and my hand gets pretty sore after a short time, which I think is just cuz I'm a wuss. It could be because the strings have more resistance at the bridge than over the pickups, too. Throughout my bass playing career (if you could call it that) I've never been able to do the thumb-over-the-neck technique, which I'm guessing would help with muting all of the strings I'm not playing. I'm also guessing that this is how he can seemingly strum the bass and still only make one note come out, but like I said, it's a mystery.

Any tips? If I haven't been clear about something up there or if you need more information, let me know.

The secret seems to be playing very loudly with lots of gain, having your band do the same thing so as to produce an incomprehensible wall of sound and then recording through god knows what. I'm impressed you can actually pick the bass out.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

ZombiePeanut posted:

The secret seems to be playing very loudly with lots of gain, having your band do the same thing so as to produce an incomprehensible wall of sound and then recording through god knows what. I'm impressed you can actually pick the bass out.
I can get my aspirations laughed at by my girlfriend, thank you very much :colbert:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Didn't really feel like this deserved its own thread but wanted to share. It's amazing how you can always discover something new, even with equipment you've had for years. I've had my Boss SYB-3 bass synth pedal for several years, really only had 2-3 sounds that I always used from it. Well tonight I decided to have a nice long tweak session and found an awesome sound using the Wave Shape modes (modes 8 and 9 if you have the pedal)

Starts with mode 9 and then near the end mode 8. Mode 8 I'm not as crazy about, but still pretty cool.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Since I've only been playing for like 2 months, I'm trying to teach myself to float my thumb before I get too set in my ways. Instead of feeling natural or easier, my thumb just seems to get in the way more often than not, and I'm constantly having to make sure its muting the strings and not just hanging out there. I assume that these things come with time, but any tips for floating?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

UkraineGirls posted:

Since I've only been playing for like 2 months, I'm trying to teach myself to float my thumb before I get too set in my ways. Instead of feeling natural or easier, my thumb just seems to get in the way more often than not, and I'm constantly having to make sure its muting the strings and not just hanging out there. I assume that these things come with time, but any tips for floating?

It's like a golf-swing. The more you think about it, the harder it's going to be. In fact, DON'T make sure it's constantly muting something. Let it just hang out. Relax and just let it lay on a string or even just barely hover above one.

Just be sure you keep your thumb and you entire hand as relaxed as possible. It'll come with time.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Scarf posted:

It's like a golf-swing. The more you think about it, the harder it's going to be. In fact, DON'T make sure it's constantly muting something. Let it just hang out. Relax and just let it lay on a string or even just barely hover above one.

Just be sure you keep your thumb and you entire hand as relaxed as possible. It'll come with time.

Thanks, I figured it was just a practice thing. I assume a few days of an aching shoulder goes along with it as well?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

UkraineGirls posted:

Thanks, I figured it was just a practice thing. I assume a few days of an aching shoulder goes along with it as well?

That's a tell-tale sign that you're too tense. Are you playing standing up or sitting down? If standing, how low do you sling your bass on your strap?

It wouldn't hurt to maybe get some dexterity-balls (those little metal balls you roll around in your hand) or just do some kind of hand exercise stuff to help loosen your fingers and especially your thumb.

Actually, here's a tip for ANY bass player regarding hand dexterity:

Anyone here a fan of playing poker? Practice chip-tricks, with both hands. Your ability to do stuff like quick triplets and fast ghost-notes will improve exponentially. At least, it did for me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, it just dawned on me that you may have your hand in the same kind of position as you did when you anchored on the pickup/rest/whatever. Like this:

Instead, I find its much more comfortable to kind of lay your thumb on its side a bit, like this:

For me it cuts down on hand and wrist fatigue.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
I kind of rest my thumb against the higher pickup the whole time. Is that bad?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

stun runner posted:

Neither technique is considered "correct." Lots of great bass players anchor, lots of great bass players float.

I mainly just recommended it for GorillaSalsa originally because he said he was on a 6-string. I really can't imagine it being comfortable to anchor and stretch across a 6-string bass... Unless you have really big hands.

I used to anchor exclusively. But after playing a 2 hour show my hand was killing me, so I looked into floating. It's all about what's more comfortable to you. But I'd definitely say it's worth it to teach yourself both techniques.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
Edit: ^^ yes, this

stun runner posted:

I do this too, pretty sure it's absolutely fine, as it's pretty much floating thumb technique for the E (or B) string. Depending on what sort of tone I want I'll also play down at the bridge pickup or as high up as having my thumb rest on the side of the neck where it connects to the body.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
All this talk of floating thumbs has got me wondering whether my use of a plectrum to play is unacceptable. I am primarily a guitarist in my defence and I'm playing indie bass (if that makes a difference).

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Nigel Tufnel posted:

All this talk of floating thumbs has got me wondering whether my use of a plectrum to play is unacceptable. I am primarily a guitarist in my defence and I'm playing indie bass (if that makes a difference).

Plectrums own.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

Plectrums own.
:c00lbert: I can't rock as hard witout one.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

How else am I meant to get that bright scooped sound without a pick?!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

How else am I meant to get that bright scooped sound without a pick?!
I crank my mids so I can be heard in the middle of two half-stacks and a psychotic drummer, but I get your meaning :3:

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008
I never saw the point in playing a pick but for the sake of being openminded are there any actual benefits?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Akur0 posted:

I never saw the point in playing a pick but for the sake of being openminded are there any actual benefits?
Speaking from experience, I can rock harder, play faster, and not get laughed off-stage at punk shows. I've never been able to duplicate the aggressive, just plain mean sounds you can get out of using a pick with my fingers.

Munoma
Jul 9, 2008

scuz posted:

Speaking from experience, I can rock harder, play faster, and not get laughed off-stage at punk shows. I've never been able to duplicate the aggressive, just plain mean sounds you can get out of using a pick with my fingers.

yeah but I can't slap with a pick either, plus I've seen techniques that seem to be on par speed wise with picking such as double thumbing and four fingering.

four finger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qig3yw5XqQ0

double thumb *for those who don't know perhaps*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnngPvedXEM

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!

scuz posted:

There's a book out there called "Bass Fitness" that's helped me quite a bit in the speed/accuracy departments. What sort of trouble are you having with the two-finger approach?

I have trouble making my middle finger move independently of my index finger. I have the same problem on my fretting hand :c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Akur0 posted:

yeah but I can't slap with a pick either, plus I've seen techniques that seem to be on par speed wise with picking such as double thumbing and four fingering.

Bullshit you can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV10D9Mp7_8

Educate yoself foo' :hehe:

(if you can't tell, he's holding the pick between his fingers)

Scarf fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 14, 2009