Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Padriag posted:

From the most recent Criterion Newsletter. It's Wings of Desire.

The MGM DVD is already pretty cohesive, although my particular copy seems to have a disc read error when Bruno Ganz meets Columbo. But yeah, I'll only buy it on blu-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah, I've also got the MGM DVD which serves me just fine. I really like the movie, but not enough that I think I'll need to buy the Criterion. It's still cool that they're releasing it, though.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

FitFortDanga posted:

drat it, I'm still not getting the frickin' newsletters.

I really like Wings of Desire, out of the four Wenders films I've seen, it's by far my favorite (Kings of the Road a distant second). But I'm not sure if I like quite enough to buy it unless it's on Blu-Ray (yeah, I have lower standards for BR). It's not a particularly daring choice for Criterion, but it's a crowd-pleaser.

Personaly I would love to see Criterion do Until the End of the World. The four hour version of course.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Are there any Chinese speakers here who watched YiYi?

http://www.criterion.com/films/781

The music/sound was way too loud compared to the actual people talking. My parents were also complaining that the speech was muffled, although that could have been because the people speaking were slurring their words together.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Mulvaney says there are no plans for any Greenaway besides CTWL. There go my hopes for Drowning By Numbers :sigh:

RaydaArab
Dec 25, 2004

by DocEvil
So I've been backing up some of my Criterions onto my Hard Drive so I could watch movies on my netbook while I am on campus--I also have to do this with my collection because the film society I run usually shows films in this coffee shop near campus and you need to run the movie from a laptop. Anyway, I've noticed that Criterion DVDs have no encryption. They just rip. Why is this? I would think that Criterion would want to put heavy encryption on their discs (being such a small company catering to a niche market). So why doesn't Criterion protect their discs? I think they do this because they realize that their average customers would probably use their discs for academic purposes (as a part of a presentation or lecture) where clips or even the entire film need to be extracted from the disc. Am I right? What is the real reason?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
They probably trust their fanbase. Do their more mainstream titles have protection? Maybe they're just against DRM as a whole.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Criterion releases tend to appeal to people who either see value in owning a product, or like collecting poo poo. The extreme attention put into presentation and the whole numbering system adds to the perceived value of the discs, and the fact that places like Best Buy have dedicated Criterion sections gives the label its own mystique as well. They're far from the only label restoring old films and giving them loaded releases, but they're by far the best at marketing their entire lineup under a single image.

With all of that, they probably don't see DRM as a reasonable expense. They've done as good a job of convincing people their films aren't disposable as anyone has ever managed in the DVD era.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

RaydaArab posted:

I would think that Criterion would want to put heavy encryption on their discs (being such a small company catering to a niche market). So why doesn't Criterion protect their discs?
There's really no such thing as `heavy encryption' for DVDs. The primary intent of encryption on DVDs isn't to prevent access to the content. This is trivially true---any cheapass player in the disc's region has to be able to play it. The encryption is there so somebody in one region can't pop a disc into another region's player and play it.

In slightly different terms: the purpose of encryption on DVDs isn't to prevent copying, it's to establish economic zones. These zones in turn allow content providers the ability to control release dates and establish price discrimination.

The fact that Criterion doesn't region encode their DVDs just means that they aren't concerned about where (geographically) their customers play the disc.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

SubG posted:

There's really no such thing as `heavy encryption' for DVDs.

To the extent that it's never been entirely successful, you're right, but to the extent that no one has tried, you're entirely wrong. Ask Disney about there being no such thing as 'heavy encryption' for DVDs.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

To the extent that it's never been entirely successful, you're right, but to the extent that no one has tried, you're entirely wrong. Ask Disney about there being no such thing as 'heavy encryption' for DVDs.
The copy protections on newer Disney disc have nothing to do with encryption. Unless you're talking about their policy of only shipping screeners on specially encrypted discs...which has nothing to do with what we're talking about, because these discs require special players.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

SubG posted:

The copy protections on newer Disney disc have nothing to do with encryption. Unless you're talking about their policy of only shipping screeners on specially encrypted discs...which has nothing to do with what we're talking about, because these discs require special players.

Now you're just being willfully obtuse. If you want to call out RaydaArab for writing "encryption" when he clearly meant "copy protection" (or me for using the word he did) then just loving do it. But we are talking about copy protection. Re-read RaydaArab's post.

STEVIE B 4EVA fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 3, 2009

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

Now you're just being willfully obtuse. If you want to call out RaydaArab for writing "encryption" when he clearly meant "copy protection" (or me for using the word he did) then just loving do it. But we are talking about copy protection. Re-read RaydaArab's post.
RaydaArab asked why Criterion doesn't `protect' their discs, and specifically asked about encryption. I explained that the encryption isn't `protection' and Criterion doesn't use it because they're presumably unconcerned about what it actually accomplishes (i.e., enforcement of economic zones).

And what Disney does isn't what the industry on the whole does. Most of the industry just uses standard region encoding without any particular additional copy protection. I took RaydaArab's question to be, in effect, `Why doesn't Criterion do what most of the rest of the industry does?' not `Why doesn't Criterion do specifically what Disney does?'

I wasn't calling anybody out or being willfully obtuse. I was answering the question without attempting to open the whole DRM is good/DRM is bad can of worms or turning this into a discussion of all the minutia of DVD encryption or copy protection.

Bande apartheid
Feb 11, 2008

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.

SubG posted:

RaydaArab asked why Criterion doesn't `protect' their discs, and specifically asked about encryption. I explained that the encryption isn't `protection' and Criterion doesn't use it because they're presumably unconcerned about what it actually accomplishes (i.e., enforcement of economic zones).

And what Disney does isn't what the industry on the whole does. Most of the industry just uses standard region encoding without any particular additional copy protection. I took RaydaArab's question to be, in effect, `Why doesn't Criterion do what most of the rest of the industry does?' not `Why doesn't Criterion do specifically what Disney does?'

I wasn't calling anybody out or being willfully obtuse. I was answering the question without attempting to open the whole DRM is good/DRM is bad can of worms or turning this into a discussion of all the minutia of DVD encryption or copy protection.

So, in order to avoid a discussion of all the minutia of DVD encryption/copy protection, you decided to point out that even though Disney DVD's have copy protection no problems come from the encryption, even though the post to which you responded was obviously using "encryption" to mean "copy protection"?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Padriag posted:

So, in order to avoid a discussion of all the minutia of DVD encryption/copy protection, you decided to point out that even though Disney DVD's have copy protection no problems come from the encryption, even though the post to which you responded was obviously using "encryption" to mean "copy protection"?
I didn't bring up Disney. As near as I can tell RaydaArab was asking why Criterion discs aren't protected like most of the other discs he's seen. Most other discs use only region encoding.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

SubG posted:

I didn't bring up Disney. As near as I can tell RaydaArab was asking why Criterion discs aren't protected like most of the other discs he's seen. Most other discs use only region encoding.

There is no indication that his experience with Criterion DVDs is different from his experience with other DVDs. The discrepancy is between his experience and his expectation.

But if you don't want to actually use a little reading comprehension you can go ahead and respond to me as though you were right all along, as you've been doing all afternoon.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

There is no indication that his experience with Criterion DVDs is different from his experience with other DVDs. The discrepancy is between his experience and his expectation.
He says `Anyway, I've noticed that Criterion DVDs have no encryption. They just rip.' This sounds like, to me, that he's noticing that Criterions aren't region encoded like most other discs.

At any rate: I don't really care. I answered the question I thought he was asking. You seem to think he was asking something else. I'm sure he'll speak up if he was.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
I can't believe you nancies argued over that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I can't believe you nancies argued over that.

They're more like ninnies than nancies, YOU HOMO

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Next topic: why doesn't SubG use regular quotation marks?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

Next topic: why doesn't SubG use regular quotation marks?
Perverted by TeX at an impressionable age.

RaydaArab
Dec 25, 2004

by DocEvil
Here is what I meant. How come I can rip my copy of The Third Man onto my hard drive but not my copy of pineapple express? I don't think it is about regions. Handbrake asked me to set my dvd drive to a specific region (and I chose region 1). But I think my question has been answered.

e: I just wanted to know why Criterion doesn't protect their discs like other DVDs. I think Subg answered my question though.

RaydaArab fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 4, 2009

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
There is a very real difference between region encoding and copy protection on the discs. And most labels use both.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ugh, this thread is turning into Criterionforum.org

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Someone at cf.org was at a function where Kim Hendrickson spoke, who confirmed some stuff. Most of this is already known, but here it is:

quote:

- Godard’s “Made in USA” is coming this year. She also mentioned “Two or Three Things I Know About Her” and made it sound like it’s coming. A new print of “Vivre Sa Vie” also just toured theatrically and it’s probably a safe assumption that might be on the roster soon as well.
- Resnais’ “Last Year In Marienbad” will be released in May on DVD and Blu-Ray.
- Ackerman’s “Jeanne Dielman” will be released this year (a new print by Janus is currently making the rounds theatrically).
- A Shohei Imamura box set, probably containing the already confirmed “Pigs and Battleships,” is due (in May?).
- Josef Von Sternberg’s “Underworld” and “The Docks of New York” were also mentioned.

Furthermore, she said they’d love to do more Linklater and more Malick since they’ve established relationships with them and their studios, and that Paul Schrader was “fun and easy to work with." New deals have apparently been made with Warner Brothers and Fox. She didn't elaborate on what's being picked up, but when asked if it could include “classics from the 30’s,” she said yes (whatever that means).

Finally, she said the long rumored “Silent Eisenstein” box set may never come to fruition because solid Russian film elements are so hard to find.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

A Shohei Imamura box set, probably containing the already confirmed “Pigs and Battleships,” is due (in May?).
This is cool. Maybe it's just me, but I generally care gently caress all about most of the extras and just wish Criterion would just publish more titles. It also feels like they spend an awful lot of their time retreading very familiar ground as opposed to bringing out previously-unavailable films. It seems like more and more I'm more likely to be interested in a new Eclipse announcement than a Criterion announcement.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Someone at cf.org was at a function where Kim Hendrickson spoke, who confirmed some stuff. Most of this is already known, but here it is:

Except for the Godard films, which I don't really care much about, this is great news, even if, as you said, most if it was known. I'm glad Marienbad is coming on Blu-Ray, and I hope those von Sternbergs are in an eclipse set, maybe with The Last Command.

The Lucas
Dec 28, 2006

Wasn't a Heist movie of some sort teased at? The title is escaping me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

That's good if they finally got WB to license out stuff. They're having a lot of financial troubles recently and it's obvious the classics are going to be hit the worst. TCM recently released some movies themselves and they had to be DVD-Rs because the print run was so low. Hopefully it includes their silents since they have some big titles that have been in the works for years like Greed, The Big Parade, and The Crowd. Then again, 2009 is supposed to be a big 90th anniversary promotion of MGM.

Also, the Russian films aren't as quite about good or bad elements, but their a bit difficult to deal with. I've heard Potemkin has a camera negative in the Mosfilm archive, but it would be cost prohibitive to handle it apparently. The recent restoration had to use elements from England and Germany. Bondarchuk's War and Piece has full 65mm negatives in a Ukaranian archive, but the Russians own the rights. No one can make an agreement, so here we are with a subpar version.

On the other hand, Turner persuaded a Czech archive to hand over the Technicolor scenes from the '25 Ben-Hur by giving them a fresh 70mm print of the '59 movie.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

SubG posted:

This is cool. Maybe it's just me, but I generally care gently caress all about most of the extras and just wish Criterion would just publish more titles. It also feels like they spend an awful lot of their time retreading very familiar ground as opposed to bringing out previously-unavailable films. It seems like more and more I'm more likely to be interested in a new Eclipse announcement than a Criterion announcement.

Agreed. I'm loving these Eclipse sets and have no problem with them releasing Japanese films every second set.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

Starscream posted:

Agreed. I'm loving these Eclipse sets and have no problem with them releasing Japanese films every second set.

Yeah, the Eclipse sets are getting really cool. I wish they'd start the mixed sets though that focus on themes or similarities.

And the extras for Exterminating Angel are kinda disappointing.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

More Mulvaney confirmations and denials poached from cf.org:

Jon Mulvaney posted:

We will be releasing some film(s) by Gremillon, however I do not have information about specific titles or street dates to share at this time.

To the best of my knowledge, we have no current plans for "El Sur."

I believe we do plan to release "Make Way for Tomorrow" in the not-too-distant future, however I can't comment on a specific street date at this time. To the best of my knowledge we have no current plans for more Douglas Sirk films.

I think we do plan to release Fassbinder's Lili Marleen at some point, but it's not on the schedule right now. To the best of my knowledge we have no current plans for Farewell, My Concubine.

I believe we plan to release La vie de Jesus and L'Humanite before too long.

I think we do plan to release more Bresson, but I cannot confirm a specific title at this time. I am not sure if we plan to release more of Dreyer's work or not, but feel free to check back. Lola Montes is likely, but it is not on the current schedule.

Make Way for Tomorrow is an excellent movie, almost an American version of Tokyo Story. More Bresson would be awesome, especially Four Nights of a Dreamer which is the only one I haven't seen yet.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

More Bresson would be awesome, especially Four Nights of a Dreamer which is the only one I haven't seen yet.

Do you have any reason to believe it will be Four Nights of a Dreamer? I agree that'd be awesome but there's 6 others that don't have Criterion releases and Four Nights of a Dreamer seems to be one of those titles with 'rights issues.'

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
well hopefully it won't be Lancelot du Lac

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Do you have any reason to believe it will be Four Nights of a Dreamer?

No. The only specific one I've heard rumored is A Man Escaped (which would be great too, it's my favorite).

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

May Criterions:

Wise Blood

The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Pigs, Pimps & Prostitutes: 3 Films by Shohei Imamura
- Pigs and Battleships
- The Insect Woman
- Intentions of Murder

Eclipse Series 16:
Alexander Korda's Private Lives
- The Private Life of Henry VIII
- The Rise of Catherine the Great
- The Private Life of Don Juan
- Rembrandt

Ran

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 14, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Whoops, I totally forgot to keep an eye out for those today. Thanks for posting them.

My personal take:

Wise Blood - John Huston has done some good movies, but it almost feels like he just stumbled into them. He has no distinct stamp or style. Low-priority rental.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle - I've seen this title pop up from time to time, but I can't remember where. Interesting cast, but nothing about the description grabs me. Another low-priority rental.

Imamura box - I like Pigs & Battleships, and the other two have been on my "want to see" list for ages. Definite rental, possible buy. Kinda skimpy on the supplements.

Ran on Blu-Ray - The only must-have of the bunch.

Korda set - Never seen a Korda film. This sounds a bit like the Rosselini box, but with actual entertainment value. Has potential, but it doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Low-priority rental again.

A rather blah month except for the Japanese stuff, but I know very little about most of these.

EDIT: more stuff from Mulvaney... no plans for The Devils, working on Linklater's SubUrbia (lousy film, IMHO)

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 14, 2009

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Suburbia is a Sony film, so perhaps Bottle Rocket isn't the only one we're seeing licensed from them.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I'm excited for the Imamura boxset, though I had really hoped for more meaty supplements. The other two are pretty meh. I've seen The Private Life of Henry VIII and Laughton hams it up enough to make it decently enjoyable but I didn't think it was anything special. I suspect the others are similar, if you consider the subjects and the fact that they're all around 90 minutes that probably says it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

SubG posted:

The fact that Criterion doesn't region encode their DVDs just means that they aren't concerned about where (geographically) their customers play the disc.
I don't want to resurrect this pointless argument but Criterions are all region 1.