Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

Anmitzcuaca posted:

system>preferences>screen resolution.

You might also want to enable "Exclusive mode" which gets rid of the VMWare toolbar from the top of the screen, which is a bit annoying when you're in fullscreen. Hit ctrl+alt to exit fullscreen when in exclusive mode.

So now my goal is to install the nVidia drivers for linux becuaes my only options for screen resolution is 800x600 :(

Anyway, for some reason I have "no privledges" to put the nvidia install file in the "/" (root) directory.

I also am not allowed to log in as "root" through the normal log in screen.

There has to be some getting started guide to linux. It seems like you need a degree in IT to get anything done :(

So my question is: How do I give my self full permissions? I am using a viritual machine and I do not care about security or any of that, I just want to be able to use the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Fallom posted:

Has anyone had a similar experience running Ubuntu 8.10 on their Toshiba laptop? I did a fresh install a week ago, and the first time I used it it crashed constantly, wouldn't connect to a wireless network 9 times out of 10, and then it crashed during a system update and started booting up to a kernel panic every time. This was beyond frustrating, and I ended up just putting Windows back on. Previous versions of Ubuntu have worked fine on this laptop.

I'm running 8.10 on my older Satellite. The only thing that needed to be tweaked was the display settings. Wireless works and I haven't run into any problems. I did upgrade from 8.4 though so I don't know if that really makes a difference or not.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

cannibustacap posted:

So now my goal is to install the nVidia drivers for linux becuaes my only options for screen resolution is 800x600 :(

Anyway, for some reason I have "no privledges" to put the nvidia install file in the "/" (root) directory.

There has to be some getting started guide to linux. It seems like you need a degree in IT to get anything done :(

So my question is: How do I give my self full permissions? I am using a viritual machine and I do not care about security or any of that, I just want to be able to use the thing.

There's an application called Envy which will detect your graphics card and install the correct driver for it, however if you're using a VM the video is generally emulated, so the nVidia drivers won't even work for you.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

cannibustacap posted:

If you're using VirtualBox you have to install the virtualbox addons

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

The Merkinman posted:

If you're using VirtualBox you have to install the virtualbox addons

You know I am trying to do that, but it won't let me!

I have the image mounted, and get the following errors... So this is kind of ridiculous. Why can't it "find" my autorun program. I am staring at it right now...

(Don't mind the gray background, I was taking a snapshot at the moment).

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
Okay I finally got over my initial issues!!

I followed this http://www.pcmech.com/article/windows-to-ubuntu-transition-guide/ and http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=47019&sid=9fd91defbc4d0250d9942a1682eb2456

So I'll update you guys with more questions later. Good night :)

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs
Whee. Debian 5.0 (Lenny) was officially released today.

I've been running the 64-bit x86 version for months and it's great.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Gleng posted:

Whee. Debian 5.0 (Lenny) was officially released today.

I've been running the 64-bit x86 version for months and it's great.

goddammit, that new look is purty! I'll give it a go on my g3, eventually. Nice to see a distro supporting a variety of architectures.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss
Another little question..

I can't seem to run a certain application, here is what is going on:

I would like to set up Eclipse's Zend PDT application. This is different from regular Eclipse that you can download with the Synaptic service (I can't find it on there or on the Add/Remove thing)

The link for it is here:
http://www.zend.com/en/community/pdt
or here to download: http://downloads.zend.com/pdt/all-in-one/pdt-2.0.0GA_debugger-5.2.15.v20081217-all-in-one-linux-gtk.tar.gz

I really cannot figure out how to execute the Eclipse Zend for linux.

Moreoever, I did download the .tar.gz file containing the Eclipse set up. I then tried the "./eclipse" command to start it and it didn't work. See this:

code:
eric@Eric-linux:~/Desktop/eclipse$ ls -la
total 460
drwxrwxr-x  9 eric eric   4096 2008-12-29 05:29 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 eric eric   4096 2009-02-15 17:11 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 eric eric   4096 2008-09-11 16:37 about_files
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric  13852 2008-09-11 16:24 about.html
-rw-rw-r--  1 eric eric  39292 2008-09-11 16:37 artifacts.xml
drwxr-xr-x  5 eric eric   4096 2008-09-11 16:37 configuration
drwxrwxr-x  3 eric eric   4096 2008-12-29 03:22 dropins
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric  52576 2008-09-11 16:24 eclipse
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric    161 2008-09-11 16:37 eclipse.ini
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric     59 2008-09-11 16:24 .eclipseproduct
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric  16536 2008-09-11 16:24 epl-v10.html
drwxrwxr-x  7 eric eric   4096 2008-12-29 05:29 features
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric 266168 2008-09-11 16:24 libcairo-swt.so
-rwxr-xr-x  1 eric eric   6506 2008-09-11 16:24 notice.html
drwxrwxr-x  5 eric eric   4096 2008-09-11 16:37 p2
drwxrwxr-x 10 eric eric  16384 2008-12-29 05:30 plugins
drwxr-xr-x  2 eric eric   4096 2008-09-11 16:37 readme
eric@Eric-linux:~/Desktop/eclipse$ ./eclipse
bash: ./eclipse: No such file or directory
See as you can see, it thinks its not there or something.

How do I get this thing to run?

I am on Ubuntu 8.10 64bit running through VirtualBox.

cannibustacap fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 16, 2009

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
/ is not the same as \

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

ShoulderDaemon posted:

/ is not the same as \

Yeah I know. I tried both but copy and pasted the wrong one :(

I edited it to fix it.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
Well, that appears to be a 32-bit executeable and that is the error that Linux returns if asked to run an executeable that it doesn't have a personality for. I'd guess you need to get the 64-bit version.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Well, that appears to be a 32-bit executeable and that is the error that Linux returns if asked to run an executeable that it doesn't have a personality for. I'd guess you need to get the 64-bit version.

Is there any 32bit mode to run it in? I mean I was able to get regular Eclipse installed, as well as a few other applications...

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender
Installing the ia32-libs package would be enough on a Debian system to get you a basic 32-bit personality.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Installing the ia32-libs package would be enough on a Debian system to get you a basic 32-bit personality.

Well, I am pretty new to this.. so I am not sure what you mean...

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 64bit. What things can I do to allow the running of 32bit applications..?

Gleng
Jun 23, 2004

48KB of Infinite Boobs

cannibustacap posted:

Well, I am pretty new to this.. so I am not sure what you mean...

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 64bit. What things can I do to allow the running of 32bit applications..?

Run Synaptic, then search for ia32. Install everything that starts with ia32. That should sort you out for most things.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

Gleng posted:

Run Synaptic, then search for ia32. Install everything that starts with ia32. That should sort you out for most things.

Now, the "./eclipse" command does execute, but absolutely nothing happens...

Heh, so what do I do now?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Zend is not different from regular Eclipse, in fact you can install it using Eclipse's software update feature as mentioned on the page you linked.

I would recommend:

1) Deleting what you've already done
2) Downloading 64bit eclipse for linux
3) Making sure that works
4) Installing Zend via the software update method inside of Eclipse

Otherwise you're running into a whole pile of 32bit library compatibility poo poo.

cannibustacap
Jul 7, 2003

Brrrruuuuuiinnssss

FunOne posted:

Zend is not different from regular Eclipse, in fact you can install it using Eclipse's software update feature as mentioned on the page you linked.

I would recommend:

1) Deleting what you've already done
2) Downloading 64bit eclipse for linux
3) Making sure that works
4) Installing Zend via the software update method inside of Eclipse

Otherwise you're running into a whole pile of 32bit library compatibility poo poo.

What I ended up doing was scrapping 64bit unbuntu and just going for 32bit. It only took about 40 minutes from downloading the ISO to getting back to where I was (Ironically it took like 24 hours to figure out how to do that :( )

And, I did try looking up the right updates for Zend on Eclipse in 64bit and I couldn't find anything at all. It was really a bummer. Plus there are like 100's of things it looks like.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Am I going to have any trouble with Intel 4500HD graphics on Fedora/Ubuntu? I'm going to be installing Linux on a Dell Vostro 220 in a few days.

Kerris
Jul 12, 2006
Don't you fucking dare compliment a woman's voice on the forums, you fucking creepy stalker.
I need to use Oracle's SQL*Plus by SSHing into another machine. Is there anyway I can pipe that session instance through a copy of rlwrap installed on the machine I am SSHing from?

Kerris fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Feb 18, 2009

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have copied the db/php back to an old hosting account that I still have available. It works like a charm there >:(.

I obviously don't have access to this hosting accounts php.ini and apache2.conf etc, but is there anything useful I could get with phpinfo() or something that might shed light on what is different from their server and mine that is causing all this trouble?

edit: I think I may have narrowed this down a bit. When I look at the phpinfo() output I see that the only "Registered PHP Streams" I have listed is zip. These streams or protocols or wrappers are what fopen() use to connect to things. There is an http stream as well as https for example, both of which are available on my working server.

The shitter is that I cannot figure out how to add these streams to my server at all. How do I do this?

After all that crap, it 'fixed' itself when I updated debian to lenny. The apache2 conf that comes with lenny is a lot smaller. Maybe some setting they had in there was breaking things? Who knows! I am just happy it works!

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
I am attempting to use regular expressions to identify two unique identifiers on either side of a series of bytes from a binary file.

Here is what I am passing for the regular expression strings:

"\x01\x20\x5F\xE0.*\x01\x20\x61\xE0"
"\x01\x20\x00\xE1.*\x05\x20\x00\x00"

I want the first be able to identify, \x01\x20\x5F\E0XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\x01\x20\x61\xE0
and similarly for the second.

The first one performs just as expected but the second one is unable to find a match although i have ensured that a match does exist.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jisei
Dec 22, 2004

A tiny bundle of supressed instincts held together by spit and caffeine.
I hope I'm not asking the stupidest question ever. I'm a relative Linux newbie, with some decent experience in Debian/Ubuntu/etc., and I wanted to stretch my muscles and try something a little less forgiving so I could learn more. So after checking out some Slackware distributions I settled on Austrumi, a Latvian Slack distro with a pretty good feature set in a ~80MB ISO. The English support is fine and I liked its Enlightenment DE which looks great out of the box; it seemed like something I could hack around on and learn more about compiling and admin stuff without being totally stranded on a command line.

I installed it and it runs great on my Compaq laptop. But, uh, I can't install programs on it. "pkg" and "installpkg" aren't there ("command not found"). So I have no idea how to add programs or install drivers.

Am I missing something? Do I need to actually install installpkg? And if so, how do I do that? The forums aren't any help because they're in Latvian; should I just bail and use another Slack distro? I actually really like Austumi's balance of speed and desktop polish, I just can't seem to add any programs on it.

Bizarro_Lowtax
Jul 26, 2007

by The Finn
ArchLinux is pretty close to Slack and has great package management

gwon
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Duck says "NO!"

Bizarro_Lowtax posted:

Seconding this.

The distro you chose appears to be designed as a livecd, you'd be better off with a real install distro.

And if you have debian experience, why not stick to it? Not ubuntu but straight debian (lenny just came out)

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Modern Pragmatist posted:

I am attempting to use regular expressions to identify two unique identifiers on either side of a series of bytes from a binary file.

Here is what I am passing for the regular expression strings:

"\x01\x20\x5F\xE0.*\x01\x20\x61\xE0"
"\x01\x20\x00\xE1.*\x05\x20\x00\x00"

I want the first be able to identify, \x01\x20\x5F\E0XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX\x01\x20\x61\xE0
and similarly for the second.

The first one performs just as expected but the second one is unable to find a match although i have ensured that a match does exist.

Any help would be appreciated.

paste output of pcretest

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

covener posted:

paste output of pcretest

I actually was able to sort it out. The ".+" of the second one was getting hung on a newline character and not advancing far enough to detect the ending bytes.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Bizarro_Lowtax posted:

Agreed.

For me, Archlinux replaced Debian, which replaced Stampede. It's about the only sane minimalist install source I've seen since Debian became too bloated, and I don't know if Stampeded is even around any more, haven't used it since '98.

Basically if you want to get a good set of build tools, perform a minimalist install and just build the poo poo you need then you can't really go wrong.

I've not used it's package management a whole lot, but I've setup some basic SQL/Apache servers using mostly pacman (rather than building) in a pinch and never had any problems with them.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

cannibustacap posted:

You know I am trying to do that, but it won't let me!

I have the image mounted, and get the following errors... So this is kind of ridiculous. Why can't it "find" my autorun program. I am staring at it right now...

(Don't mind the gray background, I was taking a snapshot at the moment).

You're trying to run VBoxWindowsAdditions-amd64.exe.

Linux is not Windows.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I found this while browsing Slickdeals, figured I'd share the love here.

Free e-book: Linux 101 Hacks
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/book/linux101hacks.php

passcode: linuxrocks

*I suck. Can someone tell me why my sweet html code isn't working?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 19, 2009

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Hughmoris posted:

I found this while browsing Slickdeals, figured I'd share the love here.

Free e-book: Linux 101 Hacks
<a href="http://www.thegeekstuff.com/book/linux101hacks.php">Link</a>

passcode: linuxrocks

*I suck. Can someone tell me why my sweet html code isn't working?

The forums use vB code. Look to the left of your post editbox or check the box that will automatically parse URLs.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Anyone out there on the ext4 bandwagon yet? I just put it on a partition to muck about with. I imagine if rtorrent doesn't gently caress it up, nothing will!

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Anyone out there on the ext4 bandwagon yet? I just put it on a partition to muck about with. I imagine if rtorrent doesn't gently caress it up, nothing will!

For what it's worth, rtorrent is one of the best-behaved large filesystem users I've ever had to use, taking great pains to make its operations easy to schedule for the kernel and neither occupy many limited resources nor make weird consistency demands. I'd be pretty shocked if you could find any even remotely usable filesystem that broke because of rtorrent.

Edit: Hell, rtorrent makes less of an impact than any of Exim, Cyrus, Postgres, MySQL, Apache, or an NFS server for a given large amount of data handled.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

ShoulderDaemon posted:

For what it's worth, rtorrent is one of the best-behaved large filesystem users I've ever had to use, taking great pains to make its operations easy to schedule for the kernel and neither occupy many limited resources nor make weird consistency demands. I'd be pretty shocked if you could find any even remotely usable filesystem that broke because of rtorrent.

Edit: Hell, rtorrent makes less of an impact than any of Exim, Cyrus, Postgres, MySQL, Apache, or an NFS server for a given large amount of data handled.

Well, it's humming away right now on ext4. Hope all goes well.

I do remember some issue with reiserfs or xfs with files larger than 4gb. I am sure that is fixed by now and I think it turned out to be issues with the fs, not rtorrent.

edit: Is there a faster way to do this?
tar -cS /mnt/backup/rdiff-media/ | tar -C /mnt/Media/ -x

other people fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 20, 2009

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
This seems like a trivial request, but for the life of me, I can't find the answer via google:

when using lp, how do I tell it to print something in grayscale?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Pablo Bluth posted:

This seems like a trivial request, but for the life of me, I can't find the answer via google:

when using lp, how do I tell it to print something in grayscale?

As I recall, use lp -o saturation=0.

On a related note, lp -o hue=180 is sort of trippy.

gwon
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Duck says "NO!"

ShoulderDaemon posted:

On a related note, lp -o hue=180 is sort of trippy.

Oh god

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
I am trying to delete an old SVN repository on a RedHat server and I keep getting this error

code:
rm: cannot remove `locks//.nfs00000000003b78da0000003a': Device or resource busy
There are no svnserve processes or anything running that could have caused this lock. Is there any way to figure out what is causing this? Restarting the server isn't possible at the moment, but if that's the only answer just let me know and I won't worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Check the output of lsof as root. It should tell you every file descriptor/memory map open.