Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Cacator posted:

I don't want to resurrect this pointless argument but Criterions are all region 1.
I don't want to participate further in this pointless argument but you're incorrect. Some of their discs are R1, but many aren't region encoded. I think most of the discs they released prior to around 2005 were R0 and most of them since then have been R1. The Suzuki films they released in 2005, for example, are R0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bande apartheid
Feb 11, 2008

Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.
I just got the criterion collection newsletter for this month.

Anyone know what this is hinting at?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Probably My Dinner With Andre, because I know they've been talking about it for a little while now, and I'm pretty sure that's what Corky St. Claire says with the action figures at the end of Waiting For Guffman.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Goddammit! They're re-releasing Ran on Blu-Ray? First they did The Third Man, then they did it for The Last Emperor and now this? Why are they re-releasing the Criterions I already own on DVD for Blu-Ray now? :cry:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Macrame_God posted:

Goddammit! They're re-releasing Ran on Blu-Ray? First they did The Third Man, then they did it for The Last Emperor and now this? Why are they re-releasing the Criterions I already own on DVD for Blu-Ray now? :cry:

Still not a perfect solution, but this should ease the suffering a little:

Janus Films posted:

We offer a $20 Blu-ray upgrade program for customers who have already bought the equivalent edition on DVD. Just mail your disc, along with a check or money order for $20 (plus $5 shipping and handling), made payable to the Criterion Collection, to:

The Criterion Collection
Attn: Jon Mulvaney
215 Park Avenue South, Fifth Floor
New York, NY 10003

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

morestuff posted:

Nice, but the Blu-Ray version of The Last Emperor isn't the extended edition is it? I know for certain that I'll be holding on to that one.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

morestuff posted:

That is still the worse program ever. After paying the shipping to mail the disc and $25 dollars to them, you only get a Blu-Ray disc in return.

On Amazon, you can get any of the Criterion Blu-Rays for $30 or under.

RaydaArab
Dec 25, 2004

by DocEvil

Sporadic posted:

That is still the worse program ever. After paying the shipping to mail the disc and $25 dollars to them, you only get a Blu-Ray disc in return.

On Amazon, you can get any of the Criterion Blu-Rays for $30 or under.

I agree. Just toss your old Criterions on SA-Mart if you want to upgrade to Blu-Ray. The upgrade will end up costing like 5-10 rather than $25.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Here are some pictures of the Last Metro BluRay packaging:

The cover is hole punched along the title:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I have a chance to meet Guy Maddin this week, who will be speaking at my university, so I'm considering tracking down a copy of Brand Upon the Brain (which he will be showing as well) and try and get him to sign it. Although I haven't seen any of his movies...

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Cacator posted:

I have a chance to meet Guy Maddin this week, who will be speaking at my university, so I'm considering tracking down a copy of Brand Upon the Brain (which he will be showing as well) and try and get him to sign it. Although I haven't seen any of his movies...

If you're not planning to turn around and sell it, what is the point of doing this?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

If you're not planning to turn around and sell it, what is the point of doing this?

Meet an acclaimed filmmaker? I probably would sell it, though.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Cacator posted:

Meet an acclaimed filmmaker? I probably would sell it, though.

No, I meant getting him to sign it. I'd jump at the chance to see Maddin even though I also haven't seen any of his films yet, because I know I will eventually and I'd be interested in what he has to say. I guess I was just wondering, if you wanted the signature for yourself, of what value the signature would be of a filmmaker with whose work you were unfamiliar.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

No, I meant getting him to sign it. I'd jump at the chance to see Maddin even though I also haven't seen any of his films yet, because I know I will eventually and I'd be interested in what he has to say. I guess I was just wondering, if you wanted the signature for yourself, of what value the signature would be of a filmmaker with whose work you were unfamiliar.
I see. Well to get technical I was thinking that if I bought the DVD I would have to take the shrink wrap off, because what would the flimsy plastic be worth if it was autographed, which means I would end up watching the movie anyway if I didn't see the screening, which means I would probably end up keeping it for myself. So to answer your question, I don't know.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It's one of his better films... Maddin is tough to recommend as a blind buy, but BUTB is a good starting point for the curious.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

So I didn't bother trying to get a copy signed since the only one I could find on short notice was 50 loving dollars. The screening itself was unfortunately not a live narration and score like I hoped (it was the Isabella Rosselini version) but Maddin himself is very down to earth and not at all eccentric. Still, I can't imagine seeing it on DVD being anything like seeing it in the theatre.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bigger Than Life is apparently on the way. I probably wouldn't buy it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

We should be seeing the new announcements sometime between Friday and Monday. Last Year at Marienbad is very likely... if Cook Thief Wife Lover were also in there, I'd be a very happy man.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Z has a good shot at being a Criterion release. The Wellspring DVD is OOP, Rialto Pictures has a 40th anniversary re-release for this year, and the new prints have the Janus Films logo.

Hopefully this isn't just wishful thinking as it would be a great pick for BluRay, not to mention a Criterion edition period.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

From F5-ing the Criterion front page, one of the new announcements is Marie Nyerod's Bergman Island (the condensed version of her excellent 3-part documentary about Ingmar).

Also (finally) Last Year at Marienbad, also on Blu-Ray

EDIT: and My Dinner With Andre

I'm guessing that's it for this month. Marienbad is one of my all-time faves, so that's a buy no matter what. I'm really hoping they put the full version of Bergman Island on there, but I'll buy that one too. Andre, I dunno... I enjoy it, but I don't feel the need to own it. A Wallace Shawn/Andre Gregory commentary track would be nice.

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 16, 2009

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Where are you seeing this?

EDIT: Oh.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 16, 2009

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.

FitFortDanga posted:

From F5-ing the Criterion front page, one of the new announcements is Marie Nyerod's Bergman Island (the condensed version of her excellent 3-part documentary about Ingmar).

Also (finally) Last Year at Marienbad, also on Blu-Ray

I hope they use this for the Marienbad cover:

The Rialto re-release poster looked awful.

Maybe since they're getting to Andre, Black Moon won't be too far down the line.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Where are you seeing this?

FitFortDanga posted:

From F5-ing the Criterion front page

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Features for Andre (#479, June 23rd)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer
* New video interviews with actors André Gregory and Wallace Shawn by filmmaker and friend Noah Baumbach
* “My Dinner with Louis,” an episode from the BBC program Arena, in which Shawn interviews director Louis Malle
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Amy Taubin and the prefaces written for the printed screenplay by Gregory and Shawn

Video interviews are sometimes even better than a commentary track, so that's cool. Probably makes more sense for this movie, anyway.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Last Year At Marienbad cover art:

Well, it's better than Danton's.

Edit:

Bergman Island

Length: 83 minutes. Apparently there's a much longer three-part version out there, but I guess it's not used here.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 16, 2009

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Marienbad (#478, June 23rd, on Blu-Ray and 2-disc DVD)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Alain Resnais (with an uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* New audio interview with Resnais
* New documentary on the making of Last Year at Marienbad, featuring interviews with many of Resnais’ collaborators
* New video interview with film scholar Ginette Vincendeau on the history of the film and its many mysteries
* Two short documentaries by Resnais: Toute la mémoire du monde (1956) and Le chant du styrène (1958)
* Theatrical trailer
* Optional original, unrestored French soundtrack
* New and improved subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critic Mark Polizzotti and film scholar François Thomas, and Alain Robbe-Grillet’s introduction to the published screenplay and comments on the film

Wow, that is a boring cover. Seems like a decent suite of extras, though.

Jack Does Jihad
Jun 18, 2003

Yeah, this is just right. Has a nice feel, too.
Hahah what the gently caress, is that a joke?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bergman Island (#477, June 16th)

* New, restored digital transfer
* Bergman 101, a selected video filmography tracing Bergman’s career, narrated by Cowie
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A written remembrance by filmmaker Marie Nyreröd

HOLD THE PHONE, THOUGH, FOLKS.... big one coming up .....

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Okay, so Bergman Island is pretty lame for not including the full 3-hour version. And that "Bergman 101" extra sounded familiar... wasn't this on one of the early Criterion Bergman releases? So I checked the page for Seventh Seal....

June 16th, Blu-Ray and 2-disc DVD

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer (with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition)
* Introduction by Ingmar Bergman, recorded in 2003
* Audio commentary by Bergman expert Peter Cowie
* A new afterword to the commentary by Cowie
* Bergman Island (2006), an 83-minute documentary on Bergman by Marie Nyreröd, featuring in-depth and revealing interviews with the director
* Archival audio interview with Max von Sydow
* A 1998 tribute to Bergman by filmmaker Woody Allen
* Theatrical trailer
* Bergman 101, a selected video filmography tracing Bergman’s career, narrated by Cowie
* Optional English-dubbed soundtrack
* New and improved English subtitle translation
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Gary Giddins

in other words, don't buy Bergman Island unless you don't plan on upgrading your Seventh Seal (which would be loving crazy)

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Now that's nice cover art. Also, fuuuuck yeah.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Best month ever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Argh, now I have to decide whether or not to upgrade my Seventh Seal Blu-Ray I imported from Sweden.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
The Marienbad cover is awesome.

I wish they would have published a new version of the screenplay and packaged it with the DVD, like they did with The Man Who Fell to Earth. If you haven't read it, head down to your local used book store and grab a copy. It's absolutely incredible, and really opens the film up in new and different ways.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sporadic posted:

Argh, now I have to decide whether or not to upgrade my Seventh Seal Blu-Ray I imported from Sweden.

I KNOW I'm getting the Criterion... keeping the import is a question of whether my inner Bergman completist will allow me to part with Karin's Face.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I wonder if this means more Bergmans are now on the backburner? Maybe I should stop hoping for Face to Face.

FitFortDanga posted:

keeping the import is a question of whether my inner Bergman completist will allow me to part with Karin's Face.

Oh, you like her that much?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'd love The Magician.

zeroordie
Aug 27, 2004

Holy poo poo!

Best month ever!

I've been waiting for Last Year... for awhile, coupled with the Seventh Seal blu-ray, dear lord.

:fap: :fap: :fap:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Oh, you like her that much?

I dunno if you're just making a gag here, but the film (if you can even call it that) itself is a curiosity at best. I just hate the thought of actually REMOVING a Bergman film from my collection, even a 15-minute one I don't like.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
So if I understand this correctly, they kept the impending new version of Seventh Seal an complete secret until now? Is that some kind of record for a Criterion?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Well it was pretty widely expected that Seventh Seal would be redone at some point but, yes, they never officially announced it or hinted at it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Also, the new batch of barebones "Essential Art House" titles:

Forbidden Games
Variety Lights
Richard III
The Hidden Fortress
Ashes and Diamonds
Last Holiday

Last Holiday is interesting because it's never been in the collection. It could be the missing spine number #476.

Why did it have to be Ashes and Diamonds and not Kanal? I would love to own Kanal, but I don't want the whole box set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Also, the new batch of barebones "Essential Art House" titles:

Forbidden Games
Variety Lights
Richard III
The Hidden Fortress
Ashes and Diamonds
Last Holiday

Last Holiday is interesting because it's never been in the collection. It could be the missing spine number #476.

About time Queen Latifah gets the Criterion treatment.