Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Local Yokel
Mar 16, 2005

If the moonshine don't kill me, I'll live 'till I die.

bEatmstrJ posted:

Maybe its just my imagination but I thought most walls were built in such a way that there were bracing studs across all the studs in the wall that would make it nigh impossible to run cables through the wall. See example for details.

Is this only in older construction perhaps? How would one penetrate such an impenetrable force?

Hmm, I don't know, but it worked for me, and my house is from 1927. I've framed a couple smaller structures but never a house, and I wasn't bracing the studs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bEatmstrJ posted:

Maybe its just my imagination but I thought most walls were built in such a way that there were bracing studs across all the studs in the wall that would make it nigh impossible to run cables through the wall. See example for details.

Is this only in older construction perhaps? How would one penetrate such an impenetrable force?

That's how my house is, and it was built in 2007. I got lucky enough that there were no fire stops in the area where I ran my cables in the family room, but did run into one when I tried to run cables for the flat panel in the upstairs loft.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Getting a rack for the amp/360 etc. tomorrow so it won't be staying quite as it is now.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
^^^ What speakers are those?

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

DoktorLoken posted:

My somewhat ghetto bargain HT setup:

Cinder block speaker stands (These work surprisingly well, I mean they weigh probably 40-50 pounds each so they should. $6 for 4 blocks and a tube of liquid nails to attach them to each other)
Paradigm Atom Monitor V5. ($250 at a local hifi shop)
Onkyo TX-SR504 receiver. ($150 refurbished direct from Onkyo)
Techcraft something or other TV stand, sturdy and not terribly ugly.
Xbox 360 Pro 60GB ($250 on sale at Dell)
Sony KDL32S2010 (I paid $200+$20 for the stand and TV as a display model at work. Original retail? $1399 for the TV.)
Harmony 520 controlling the whole setup.

I'm happy. I'll get real speaker stands when I find what I'm looking for someday. Cables are a mess because I haven't gotten proper length cables, also the wall outlet behind the TV isn't grounded so I have two power strips daisy chained together running to the kitchen into a grounded outlet. Once I add a ground adapter we should be good to go for cleaning up the cabling.

Eventually I'll add a small subwoofer (HSU STF-1 or similar) and possibly some Paradigm Cinema series (Space for surrounds is very limited) speakers as rear and center channels.

Those cinder blocks look precarious as hell next to all that equipment and glass table.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

porksmash posted:

^^^ What speakers are those?

Look like Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2s.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

identikit posted:

Look like Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2s.

Yeah - they're really nice speakers. I'm thinking about getting the Mezzo 6 floorstander as a replacement for my current 20i Pearls, they sound pretty nice with my T-amp and aren't too expensive (about 600 pound for a pair).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Yup, got it in one :)

Running from a 340A/Anniversary XT with my 360/PC/TV running through them. Thankfully I didn't quite pay full price.

Edit: Finally got the rack sorted -

Raikiri fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 14, 2009

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa

Omegaslast posted:

not to be a prick but you should check your fire code, most dont allow power cords to be run in walls like that, meaning if your house burns down and they find out your insurance is void. usually requires you to wire a (recessed) outlet behind the tv

Plenum cables avoid that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

renraku posted:

Those cinder blocks look precarious as hell next to all that equipment and glass table.

They're actually very stable on account of their weight. Like I really have to push on one to even make it move in the slightest. I'm not going to deny that they are horribly ghetto though. They work exceptionally well for the cost and as temporary items.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

DoktorLoken posted:

They're actually very stable on account of their weight. Like I really have to push on one to even make it move in the slightest. I'm not going to deny that they are horribly ghetto though. They work exceptionally well for the cost and as temporary items.

Yeah as long as you and your friends aren't of the type to rough house and throw each other around, hitting one of them, you should be fine.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

shaitan posted:

Yeah as long as you and your friends aren't of the type to rough house and throw each other around, hitting one of them, you should be fine.

well its not like buying $100 speaker stands would fix that either.

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

Communism, the word of G-d.

Raikiri posted:

Yup, got it in one :)

Running from a 340A/Anniversary XT with my 360/PC/TV running through them. Thankfully I didn't quite pay full price.

Edit: Finally got the rack sorted -

What brand rack is that?

1mpper
Nov 26, 2004

Akvj1n posted:

What brand rack is that?

I'd also like to know, I've been looking for something like this for my own room but perhaps a bit shorter.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Akvj1n posted:

What brand rack is that?

Soundstyle XS105 :)

aerdil posted:

I'd also like to know, I've been looking for something like this for my own room but perhaps a bit shorter.

XS100 is the 4 shelf variant iirc.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Pioneer VSX-1018 7.1 channel AV receiver
Pioneer PDP-5020 50" 1080p Plasma TV
1x JBL S-Center 3 way center channel
2x JBL HLS-810 bookshelf fronts
4x JBL SoundPoint SP8II in-wall surrounds
1x Klipsch Sub-12 12" powered subwoofer
xBox 360 with HD-DVD drive
Nintendo Wii
Verizon FIOS HD-DVR
D-Link DGL-4500 Wireless N router
1 loud, annoying Bengal

Pioneer 5020 and JBL S-Center

JBL S-Center

Equipment Rack Shot

Equipment Rack Shot

JBL HLS-810 Bookshelf, right front channel

Klipsch Sub-12 12" powered subwoofer, with annoying Bengal kitty option

Klipsch subwoofer, the cat is good for 20 Hz extension, yo

Looking from the back of the room towards the front

Right side surround and rear surround, JBL SoundPoint SP8II

JBL SoundPoint SP8II in-walls, minus the grills

JBL SoundPoint SP8II in-walls, I use 4 of them for the surrounds and rear surrounds

JBL SoundPoint SP8II in-walls, Left side surround and rear surround.

BonerJams 03
Sep 11, 2001
It’s a mixtape of all my favorite boner scenes in the summer of 2003

Glottis posted:

No offense, but I definitely laugh out loud every time I see those speakers.

Speakers so loud, they blow womens clothes off.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Omegaslast posted:

well its not like buying $100 speaker stands would fix that either.

I was just thinking that the cinder blocks would break the glass table if they got knocked over, which probably wouldn't happen with the $100 speaker stands.

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I went ahead and took some new photos, including some of my HTPC in progress. We're converting all of our disc media to x264, but it's a slow process. I had previously been ripping all of our dvds to image files and playing those directly, but now I'm also converting all of them to x264. I've got about 700 DVDs left to rip.

52" Sharp LCD
HK 347
Samsung 1500 BluRay
Athlon 5000+ HTPC running XBMC (windows)
Klipsch Reference 3 all around
Elemental Designs A3-300

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Alternate View:

slaphappynickname fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Feb 17, 2009

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001
I wanted to repost since I've changed a few things. First and foremost, I took delivery of my B&W 805S's yesterday. I really liked my old 705's but the difference between the two is astounding.

Converted my Velodyne to passive and added a fourth 201 to drive it. I'm a lot happier. Nothing against powered subs but it's a LOT more controlled now. Ditched the Denon DVD for a PS3 as well. Only bitch there is I wish the HDMI and Optical outs worked simultaneously. I hate having to go into menus to switch audio. Added a Squeezbox Duet a while back also. All of that along with a ton of cabling is hidden under the bottom shelf.

And finally made some speaker cabling. $50 for everything and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. Beats a lot of the store bought premade stuff. Locking bananas and gold spades on the amplifier side. Still have to make more for the center and sub.

Next up for replacement is the TV. That'll be a while yet I think... Need to recover from this upgrade first.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Acc-Risk posted:

What are the connecting cables called?

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

kri kri posted:

What are the connecting cables called?

The little ones? Those are the biware jumpers that came with the speakers. The long ones are the ones I made.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

Acc-Risk posted:

Ditched the Denon DVD for a PS3 as well. Only bitch there is I wish the HDMI and Optical outs worked simultaneously. I hate having to go into menus to switch audio.

It does, I use optical and hdmi for all my ps3 output. You sure you saved your settings in the PS3?

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

Ahz posted:

It does, I use optical and hdmi for all my ps3 output. You sure you saved your settings in the PS3?

Yeah, sure did. But the second I select one output, the other one shuts off. I've never had both working at the same time :/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Acc-Risk posted:

The little ones? Those are the biware jumpers that came with the speakers. The long ones are the ones I made.

Yeah the connectors. Where can I purchase some of those? My new speakers did not come with them and I didn't know where to look.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008

Acc-Risk posted:

Yeah, sure did. But the second I select one output, the other one shuts off. I've never had both working at the same time :/

Just curious, why do you need both?

And to clarify, I'm sure you mean the audio through HDMI shuts off when using optical out, not HDMI shutting off altogether.

Acc-Risk
Sep 28, 2001

porksmash posted:

Just curious, why do you need both?

And to clarify, I'm sure you mean the audio through HDMI shuts off when using optical out, not HDMI shutting off altogether.

That's correct. The reason I need both is... When my girlfriend watches, she just wants to turn on the TV without having to fire up processors and amplifiers. I can't pass digital through the TV as it only passes 2 channel. So right now, I just have to switch it in the PS3 menus :/

C0lin
Jul 12, 2005
I also have my PS3 hooked up with HDMI video, and since my receiver is only HDMI pass through, I use an optical. I don't know why it's not working for you.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

Acc-Risk posted:

That's correct. The reason I need both is... When my girlfriend watches, she just wants to turn on the TV without having to fire up processors and amplifiers. I can't pass digital through the TV as it only passes 2 channel. So right now, I just have to switch it in the PS3 menus :/

Get a harmony, problem solved.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

C0lin posted:

I also have my PS3 hooked up with HDMI video, and since my receiver is only HDMI pass through, I use an optical. I don't know why it's not working for you.

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing here. HDMI to TV, optical to receiver. No menu switching at all.

Samsung LN46A500, my parents old Sony HTIB which serves me well enough, PS3 and Xbox 360. Various videogames, blu rays and stuff. DVD's are off camera to the right.

1997 fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 19, 2009

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

shaitan posted:

I was just thinking that the cinder blocks would break the glass table if they got knocked over, which probably wouldn't happen with the $100 speaker stands.

I would be more worried about my precious Paradigms or my $200 Sony KDL32S2010 (Yeah, I don't think I could replace this TV's quality with anything short of a 32" XBR or Samsung A550 for $1000) being damaged before I cared about the table. I bought the table for $20 as a clearance floor model although it is normally a $200 TV stand.

The cinderblocks are attached together with liquid nails and aren't going to separate any time this century. Trust me when I say they are very sturdy. A hit that would knock these over would knock any stand over unless it was bolted to the floor or had a 50 pound weigh at the base.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 19, 2009

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

upgraded to HD

center speaker held in place by some 3M mounting tape on a Toshiba 40RV525U
Comcast Motorola HD box, Panasonic SA-XR25, Dreamcast on top of a PS2

Xbox 360 Elite is off camera, as are my rear speakers and subwoofer
Speakers are KLH TW-08, Subwoofer is KLH Bassbite V.

EDIT: drat, picture makes the TV look smaller.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 19, 2009

C0lin
Jul 12, 2005

1997 posted:

Yeah, I'm doing the same thing here. HDMI to TV, optical to receiver. No menu switching at all.

Samsung LN46A500, my parents old Sony HTIB which serves me well enough, PS3 and Xbox 360. Various videogames, blu rays and stuff. DVD's are off camera to the right.

I actually have the HDMI and optical going to my receiver, which reminds me that I haven't posted a new pic since a few changes.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.
Just updated my PC setup. Sorry for the crappy photo and I know the wiring's a mess:

2x Samsung SyncMaster T240 24" LCD screens at 1920x1200, Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's mounted on the wall to get them the hell out of the way of the monitors. My personal PC runs on the left screen, and my work laptop runs on the right screen. When the work laptop's turned off at night and I'm using the personal PC I can switch it into dual-screen mode when I feel like it.

I control both PCs from one keyboard/mouse with Stardock's Multiplicity software, so they act almost like a dual-screen setup. I can switch which computer I'm controlling just by moving my mouse from the left screen to the right, or vice versa. The only limitation is that I can't drag windows between the two computers, although I can drag & drop files. There's also a free open-source app called Synergy that doesn't cost anything, but it didn't work for me.

The lamp is temporary until I get around to installing a shelf above the desk and wiring some lighting in, but that's a long-term project. All I really have left to do in the short-term is cable cleanup, which will happen this weekend.

It's pretty awesome having 3840*1200 worth of desktop real estate to play with.

subiekid
Jun 24, 2004

Huge_Midget posted:

Equipment Rack Shot

Where did you get that entertainment stand?

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

subiekid posted:

Where did you get that entertainment stand?

I got it at Best Buy, however I believe it was recently discontinued. The last time I was in Best Buy they had one marked for closeout.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Acc-Risk posted:

I wanted to repost since I've changed a few things. First and foremost, I took delivery of my B&W 805S's yesterday. I really liked my old 705's but the difference between the two is astounding.

Converted my Velodyne to passive and added a fourth 201 to drive it. I'm a lot happier. Nothing against powered subs but it's a LOT more controlled now. Ditched the Denon DVD for a PS3 as well. Only bitch there is I wish the HDMI and Optical outs worked simultaneously. I hate having to go into menus to switch audio. Added a Squeezbox Duet a while back also. All of that along with a ton of cabling is hidden under the bottom shelf.

And finally made some speaker cabling. $50 for everything and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. Beats a lot of the store bought premade stuff. Locking bananas and gold spades on the amplifier side. Still have to make more for the center and sub.

Next up for replacement is the TV. That'll be a while yet I think... Need to recover from this upgrade first.

let me guess starquad underneath that techflex?? i never thought about putting a long twisted strand of stripped copper into the back of the banana plug with heatshrink on top of it instead of just leaving the red/white jackets on... maybe i should put that in the tutorial. :)

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 20, 2009

Theonlydk
Jul 29, 2003
The only Dk here!
I thought I would post some pictures of my before and after setups since I upgraded a bit today.

My Living room setup before.

42inch 720P Plasma Samsung with an Onkyo 7.1 System I got ages ago. I upgraded to the 52inch 1080P LCD Samsung (LN52A550).

Rear Channels

I had a 27inch Westinghouse LCD TV in the bedroom that is getting banished to the guest room. The Plasma is replacing it.

I did notice that the new screen doesn't leave enough room for the right and left channels to just sit on the TV stand anymore so I will have to fix that in the future. I am also fending off the wife from making me get a soundbar to de-clutter the living room.

Pellinoore
Dec 2, 2002

Just 2.1 until I move, this room is too cramped for 5.1/7.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

Round 1. Currently sitting on some very Ikea-y Ikea tabless.

Audiovector K series speakers. Oldish 40" Sony LCD - next in line for an upgrade. Mac mini running Boxee as an HTPC. Denon AVR2309 driving it all.