Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Speaking of RoryGilmore, I just finished the first season of Gilmore Girls. Really just a great show. I've never seen characters so likable and endearing, and at the same time so well written and deep. It's a little sad that it's labelled a "chick show" (although it's understandable), because anybody who likes character driven shows would probably like it. Even though the main characters are women, I think it's easy for anyone to identify with them because most of the problems they face aren't gender specific. Almost everyone has had trouble with relationships, has relatives that infuriate them, has made mistakes in their life, etc.

Plus, Rory is just so drat adorable. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Trophy Boner posted:

Speaking of RoryGilmore, I just finished the first season of Gilmore Girls. Really just a great show. I've never seen characters so likable and endearing, and at the same time so well written and deep. It's a little sad that it's labelled a "chick show" (although it's understandable), because anybody who likes character driven shows would probably like it. Even though the main characters are women, I think it's easy for anyone to identify with them because most of the problems they face aren't gender specific. Almost everyone has had trouble with relationships, has relatives that infuriate them, has made mistakes in their life, etc.

The first three, maybe four, seasons are the best. After that it's still watchable, but the seventh is pretty bad.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I just started True Blood

So far I'm really enjoying it, what's the general consensus on the series thus far?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Fatkraken posted:

So far I'm really enjoying it, what's the general consensus on the series thus far?

That it lacks the quality of what most consider a true HBO show. It is what I call a bubble gum show. If you don't take serious at all it is worth watching. I enjoyed most of the side characters (Jason, Eric, and the gay cook mainly), but Sookie became painful to me by the end of the first season. I really don't know how to feel about the show overall, but I will be back for season 2. I just hope they fix some of the flaws.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Trophy Boner posted:

The only characters I dislike are Jess and Logan, probably because they get to sleep with Rory. Logan is also a jerk, he can be sweet to her when everything is going fine but if there is some slight problem he turns into an rear end in a top hat. I don't like Jess because he's the embodiment of this guy:

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The only characters I dislike are Jess and Logan, probably because they get to sleep with Rory. Logan is also a jerk, he can be sweet to her when everything is going fine but if there is some slight problem he turns into an rear end in a top hat. I don't like Jess because he's the embodiment of this guy:

I hated Jess at first but grew to like him a lot. He's one of my favorite characters now. Also I'm pretty sure he never had sex with her.

Logan, on the other hand, I hate with a passion.

VV Sorry, that was a dumb move on my part. The only thing spoiled was she doesn't have sex with a dude, and that dudes are jerks, though. So it's not all bad!

spooky wizard fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 14, 2009

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I'm still at the Dean stage so I dunno. Thanks for spoiling poo poo for me though. :)

Just kidding I don't mind. That much.

Donny Brook
Jul 23, 2007

Hello Ladies

Rest In Peace
Dave
(aka Donny Brook)
1963-2013
Goonspeed, friend

Fatkraken posted:

I'm gonna have to agree with Nate Fisher. Mostly pop drivel with some cool characters, and a few that are a little bit painful to watch. A lot of people seem to love Bill, but I don't get it. The whole romance between him and Suckie just feels forced to me. The only thing about Bill I liked was his interactions with the other vamps.

Over all, the crap characters in True Blood are less painful to watch than the crap characters in John From Cincinatti. I'll keep watching.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If they bring that mom back I quit. All the demon bullshit was annoying as hell.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
Just finished season 1 of Mad Men. So fantastic and so depressing. (spoilers from second-to-last and last episodes) That scene where Don wouldn't get off the train to hand over the body to his family and Adam saw him was really powerful, and that last shot of the season of him sitting on the stairs, sad that he can't go on vacation with his family was the ultimate :smith:

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
Finally got around to watching/finishing Daybreak. It was very good overall, but not 'great'. Given the premise I think it was the best it could have gotten, and don't see how a second season could have improved it. Granted there are some (deliberate) unresolved plot points, but it doesn't affect the overall enjoyment. Thankfully there are some nice surprises here and there, and doesn't take itself seriously- especially near the end.

For those wondering No, why the day keeps repeating doesn't get explained. Eventually he does see through to the next day, and it's a happy ending for the good guys. (No major heroes "die")

Bonkfast
Jul 14, 2007
The Starter Wife and Lipstick Jungle. I liked the first season of The Starter Wife (or the "miniseries" as they call it), but kinda lost track of it and forgot to watch the second "first" season, so I plowed through it recently.

I'm doing the same with Lipstick Jungle now. I didn't think I was going to like it since it's by the creators of Sex and the City, but now I like it. I am catching up with it.

I've got many backlogged shows I'd like to catch up with.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
I started watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia sometime last week and now I'm about halfway through with the 4th season. It's way too easy to kick out 3-4 episodes in a sitting.

I really want to get into another good series though, so my next binge will either be Deadwood or Oz.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've been watching both seasons of "The tudors", finished in something like a week and a half...

yea, i have no life :(

destructor muffin
May 16, 2007
sinfully delicious
Batman Beyond and X-Men: The Animated Series. Makes me feel like I'm 12 again!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

destructor muffin posted:

Batman Beyond and X-Men: The Animated Series. Makes me feel like I'm 12 again!

Batman Beyond was incredible.

Amazon just sent me an e-mail. Andy Richter Controls the Universe is finally coming out on DVD next month. I can finally watch that show.

If I can just get Touching Evil on DVD and a soundtrack, my life just might be complete.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I have one more episode of Mad Men to go before I'm caught up. I want season 3 to start NOW :(

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just started to watch The Wire Season 1 since it's been on OnDemand. I'm up to episode 12 and it's really good. Took a while to get going but by the 3rd episode or so I was hooked.

I did this with Six Feet under and The Sopranos as well - waited until these shows had been out for years and then marathoning my way through all the episodes I missed. i guess eventually, i'll get around to Deadwood and Weeds as well. HBO shows are just written so much better than standard TV - and I've really gotten to the point where I can't watch anything with commercials in it so DVD/OnDemand is a good way to go.

The Wire is awesome so far.

Ryaf
Jan 24, 2007

I just finished season 1-5 of The Wire. I enjoyed most of it, but season 4 was just not as entertaining as the others. Well written or not, the setting just bored me to tears. Also, Omar is awesome. So is Clay Davis...sheeeeeeeeee-it.

I just watched the pilot for Six Feet Under..think I'll start watching it since that was the best pilot I've ever seen (though they seemed to have a lot of money to make that happen).

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
Big Bang theory. It has higher ratings than HIMYM, and a good friend of mine from high school really likes it, so I gave it a try.

It's good, but HIMYM is miles better. HIMYM is becoming a very, very good show.

Dayewalker
Dec 25, 2002

I drink YOUR milkshake!
Right now I'm in the middle of season 3 of :bsg:, but I'm trying to catch up to the current episodes as quickly as I can manage. I finally got The Wire: The Complete Series yesterday for my birthday, so once I finish my current obsession I'll be going on yet another binge. I can't wait to finally see season's 4 and 5! :dance:

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

SaviourX posted:

It's true, Season 1 is probably some of the best character drama ever made, but afterward it kind of drops off and it's hard to stay with, unless you're a fan.

Just finished Deadwood Season 2 last night and I have to admit this is true. I think it suffered from Al's stones putting him out of commission for the first few episodes and not having much screentime as a result. I still enjoyed it a lot, though.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I just recently plowed through Bones after catching a few episodes and enjoying it. There's only one really bad episode, tbh. Very solid show otherwise.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ryaf posted:

I just finished season 1-5 of The Wire. I enjoyed most of it, but season 4 was just not as entertaining as the others. Well written or not, the setting just bored me to tears. Also, Omar is awesome. So is Clay Davis...sheeeeeeeeee-it.

I just watched the pilot for Six Feet Under..think I'll start watching it since that was the best pilot I've ever seen (though they seemed to have a lot of money to make that happen).

I thought season 4 of the Wire was the show's peak with season 3 close behind. It might be because you watched all 5 seasons in a row. Since I watched them all when they originally aired the show might have a different feel to me. Still I felt the only weak point in The Wire was season 5 (which really was not that weak). Greatest show ever.

Six Feet Under is not the greatest show, but it just might be my favorite show. I really enjoyed the first 3 seasons. Season 2 was my favorite while season 3 had one of the greatest season finales. Season 4 was a really a let down for one reason which I can't explain because it gives a major plot point. That said by the second half of season 5 the show was as good as it ever was. Safe to say the series finale of SFU maybe the greatest series finale ever.

There is a reason I still use the user name nate fisher.

Astroturf Neckbeard
Jan 10, 2007
straight to video

Sparta posted:

Big Bang theory. It has higher ratings than HIMYM, and a good friend of mine from high school really likes it, so I gave it a try.

It's good, but HIMYM is miles better. HIMYM is becoming a very, very good show.

I just finished binging through seasons 1-3 of How I Met Your Mother. I didn't like the first half of the first season, and even debated whether I was going to continute watching, but continued thanks to advice from this thread. I'm really glad I did, because the series took a big turn for the better right around the halfway point of season one (specifically, when Victoria comes in).

I'm holding off on watching season four until it's on DVD and I can watch it all at once. The wait just may kill me, though.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

Nearly done with The Sopranos. Is it some sort of television rule that close to the last season a main character needs to get an eye-patch? (BSG, Buffy, now this, pretty sure there's one or two more I don't remember)

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am
I've been binging the absolute poo poo out of the West Wing recently, local shops are selling each season for $20. Midway through season 2 now. I watched it for 7 hours today. Really loving it. Does it ever get not good? I mean, I've heard it gets particularly awesome once Smits and Alda get in on it towards the end, but is there a dull period? I just can't stop!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
You're in for some hard times when you get to seasons 5 and 6.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Speaking of The West Wing...

The sets of each season vs. the complete series box set.

From what I've read, here are the pros and cons of each, and if I'm wrong or if there's anything to add, please let me know:

Season sets - PROS
  • English subtitles for all seasons
  • Friendly packaging for both shelf and practical use

CONS
  • First four seasons are flipper double-sided discs

Complete Series set - PROS
  • Deluxe-looking packaging
  • Script book for an episode
  • First four seasons are on single-sided discs

CONS
  • No English subtitles for seasons 5, 6 and 7
  • Packaging isn't practical for use, hard cardboard sleeves can scratch discs when removing and replacing
  • Packaging is pretty but how practical for actually storing on a shelf with other DVDs?

So I dunno which to get. But they're all overpriced at $50 a season and $220 for the series right now at Best Buy so it's a moot point at the moment.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

pwn posted:

Speaking of The West Wing...

The sets of each season vs. the complete series box set.

From what I've read, here are the pros and cons of each, and if I'm wrong or if there's anything to add, please let me know:

Season sets - PROS
  • English subtitles for all seasons
  • Friendly packaging for both shelf and practical use

CONS
  • First four seasons are flipper double-sided discs

Complete Series set - PROS
  • Deluxe-looking packaging
  • Script book for an episode
  • First four seasons are on single-sided discs

CONS
  • No English subtitles for seasons 5, 6 and 7
  • Packaging isn't practical for use, hard cardboard sleeves can scratch discs when removing and replacing
  • Packaging is pretty but how practical for actually storing on a shelf with other DVDs?

So I dunno which to get. But they're all overpriced at $50 a season and $220 for the series right now at Best Buy so it's a moot point at the moment.
Clocking in at $100-ish for the full pack at Amazon.co.uk (which I bought), fetching it for the same price somewhere doesn't seem improbable.

Though I can't relate to some of the points - cardboard? Wat?

I'm at season 2, but they all seem to be packaged the same way: Three-packs of super-cheap half-size containers per season. Inside a fancy box with one DVD's worth of bonus material (along with sporadic material on some of the discs) that aren't particularly interesting so far.

cnrkb fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 21, 2009

Radio_Mime
Jun 17, 2003
Jeff told me to register so I did.
I've just started watching Las Vegas I'm almost at the end of season 2 and while it not be the greatest show ever its fairly entertaining, has good charaters and lots of hot bitches. So its a good show to watch when you got nothing else to do.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I've currently got Dead Like Me sitting in my Netflix queue.

I've also been known to spend entire days watching Emergency! on Hulu.

Johnny Deformed
Jun 11, 2005

Because fact into doubt... won't go.
I just finished Deadwood and wow what a disappointing ending. I know they didn't know the show had been cancelled by the time they made it, but it was still a massive let-down. I couldn't believe the hour had already passed and it was over!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I just got caught up in Spooks. I love and hate how they just kill off main characters at random. I hate it when they do it, but then it adds to the suspense of a scene because anyone could die at any time. Although, if they ever get rid of Harry I'll stop watching.

Noby Goatse Boy
Mar 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump
Finished Rome (great show), moved on to Dexter. It's not bad. Miami looks hot. TV show are kinda like a new thing for me just getting into this stuff. Have Anthony Bourdain No Reservations dvd too saw it at a friends and loved it (liked his book Kitchen Confidential too), haven't got to it yet though.

Mana Fiercity
Aug 16, 2008
I thought I'd get caught up on Kyle XY, just to have another show to look forward to on Mondays. I really dig the sci-fi part of the show(Tom Foss is badass), but I hate it when the teenybopper love stories interfere.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005

Mana Fiercity posted:

I thought I'd get caught up on Kyle XY, just to have another show to look forward to on Mondays. I really dig the sci-fi part of the show(Tom Foss is badass), but I hate it when the teenybopper love stories interfere.

They just canceled it, you know.

luckdragon
Dec 5, 2008
Working my way through Prison Break season one. I'm really enjoying it so far.
Also on my list:
LOST
The Prisoner
Entourage

Mana Fiercity
Aug 16, 2008
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Stop PB and get on Lost, you'll thank me later.

Zealous Abattoir posted:

They just canceled it, you know.

Yeah, unfortunately I came across this news after I had already finished getting caught up. I can't say I'll miss it too much. I hope they give us how the story would've played out, like they did with Traveler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luckdragon
Dec 5, 2008

Mana Fiercity posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Stop PB and get on Lost, you'll thank me later.

I'm 3 seasons into Lost but couldn't get any more episodes for a while so I started watching Prison Break. It's not got as many OH poo poo moments but I'm still enjoying it a lot, I think I like the characters more. Once I'm done with PB I'll go straight back to Lost, I want to catch up with series 5.