Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

4R7 THi3F posted:

We're required to take a lingerie class at my school. I hate lingerie, but I'm pretty pleased with my chemise.

it's not pleating but bias strips handsewn on top of one another.

I initially tried it with pleating, but it didn't work out.

Gah, how can you hate lingerie! I can't wait to take that class at my school. It turned out really well. I love pleats :)

As a side note, I would kill for an industrial machine. We use Juki's at my school but they all cost a pretty penny. Someone might notice if I try and walk out with one. I just hate my POS at home so much.

For my advanced draping class, we have to research a designer and create a piece influenced by their designs. The guy I had made this:

also this:

I have big shoes to fill :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....
Whoa, you have to do Charles James? Torture devices for women FTW!

IIRC from my costume history class, most people still have no idea don't know how the clover dress was made!

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

4R7 THi3F posted:

I decided to cheat a bit and use a really nice polyester charmeuse instead of silk charmeuse. Silk charmeuse is the worst thing to sew in the world, but it was actually pretty easy to sew the polyester.
Ugh, polyester next to your skin is just so gross, though! Especially for lingerie, it'd be really hot and sweaty and clinging, bleurg. I thought for sure that such a beautiful design would be silk. :( (great idea to use bias strips instead of pleats, though! I've got to remember that!)

Personally I adore sewing with silk charmeuse. As long as you use a brand new Microtex needle and finish your seam allowances (either with French seams or linings or bindings), it's really not difficult at all and garments made of it just make me happy to wear or even just touch them. The pocket linings in my super-warm winter coat are done in silk charmeuse scraps and it makes me happy every time I put my hands in them!

Funnily enough, I just started getting into making lingerie, too. Though I've not tried a camisole yet - I just finished a bra, pantie, and thong this morning before work. :)

no.no.notorious
Feb 19, 2009

vaginadeathgrip posted:

Gah, how can you hate lingerie! I can't wait to take that class at my school. It turned out really well. I love pleats :)

As a side note, I would kill for an industrial machine. We use Juki's at my school but they all cost a pretty penny. Someone might notice if I try and walk out with one. I just hate my POS at home so much.

For my advanced draping class, we have to research a designer and create a piece influenced by their designs. The guy I had made this:

also this:

I have big shoes to fill :(

wow those are gorgeous dresses. i've been sewing for over 15 years and the sewing class i took a year ago ruined alot of my skills. i did everything freelance and then took a class on how to read patterns and such. now im petrified to so anything more intricate than curtains and hemming pants (my teacher had the personality of how i imagined martha stewart having...CRAFT NAZI)

no.no.notorious
Feb 19, 2009

seriouslywtf posted:

So, I finally got around to setting up the serger I got for Christmas. That thing is a motherfucking bitch to thread.

That is all.

ha! yeah, they are. but once you get it threaded the whole way, the next time you want to change the color of the thread, cut the thread before it winds into the machine hooks, tie the new thread, then pull the old one. the knot rarely gets caught in the machine and you've saved yourself probably about 20 minutes of frustration

no.no.notorious
Feb 19, 2009

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Dunno if this is the right thread, but how can I lighten a navy-blue article of clothing to a sort of Robins'-Egg blue? Is it even possible?
Would I have to dye a white/cream/what-have-you article of clothing to the right shade or what?

e: I'm not sure of the fabric composition, but it could be polyester, cotton or even wool, or a combination, so instructions for each would be wonderful.

like the others have said, use a color remover. depending on how deep the blue is, the fabric won't loose all the color, but will turn into a light blue because blue dye is potent. from my experiences, lightener doesn't really do much, so stick with the remover and redye if you have to.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Can anyone recommend some sites with patterns similar to Sublime Stitching? I used to do embrodery when I was younger but got pretty fed up with the fruity patterns.

Also, Goldaline I loving love everything you make. Good lord woman, you're talented.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth

4R7 THi3F posted:

Whoa, you have to do Charles James? Torture devices for women FTW!

IIRC from my costume history class, most people still have no idea don't know how the clover dress was made!

Thankfully it only has to be "influenced by," so it can be whatever interpretation. I have yet to dive into the wonderful world of tulle, so that will be an interesting experience.

That butterfly dress is 18 pounds by the way. Also nearly impossible to walk (or sit) in. But I want one.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Triangulum posted:

Can anyone recommend some sites with patterns similar to Sublime Stitching? I used to do embrodery when I was younger but got pretty fed up with the fruity patterns.

Also, Goldaline I loving love everything you make. Good lord woman, you're talented.

I draw my own stuff out mostly, but try tattoo designs (line drawn, nice for stitching) or I sort of love this site http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/index.htm It's for teachers, but it has some really odd black and white clip art.

And thanks! Though I am trying to not be so much of a woman these days~

So the hair chair is completed!

So. Much. Weave.

Bonus shot in progress. I was using hair-elastics to hold back the hair as I was working.

Before shots and more info is on my blog~

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Tattoo flash was pretty much exactly what I was wanting, thanks.

Are you trans now? Or am I taking you way too literally?

E: Some of the math clipart is really cool and would make great stitching. Check this baby out: http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/36700/36736/sine4_36736_lg.gif

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 20, 2009

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Triangulum posted:

Tattoo flash was pretty much exactly what I was wanting, thanks.

Are you trans now? Or am I taking you way too literally?

E: Some of the math clipart is really cool and would make great stitching. Check this baby out: http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/36700/36736/sine4_36736_lg.gif

Yah, I really like some of the odder diagrams they have--especially the science ones.

No, haha, I was being literal. Pre-everything because I'm a starving student, but yeah, I've considered myself trans for a while now. I try not to make a fuss about it on the forums because helldump already has my number for the weirder garments I make.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Helldump's actually the most tolerant forum on SA as far as transsexuality, homosexuality, etc goes. Good luck with your transition :) .

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Triangulum posted:

Helldump's actually the most tolerant forum on SA as far as transsexuality, homosexuality, etc goes. Good luck with your transition :) .

You may have a point there, which is even more scary. And thanks~!

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

no.no.notorious posted:

ha! yeah, they are. but once you get it threaded the whole way, the next time you want to change the color of the thread, cut the thread before it winds into the machine hooks, tie the new thread, then pull the old one. the knot rarely gets caught in the machine and you've saved yourself probably about 20 minutes of frustration
Holy poo poo. You are a genius. Thanks for that tip; I never would have thought of it on my own.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

Triangulum posted:

Urbanthreads.com has a lot of cool stuff, but I'm just getting into embroidery myself...

Also, I just found out today that a store I can see through the window sitting at my desk at work is the new distributor of Sublime Stitching in the UK (Tatty Devine), woop!

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...
I just stopped by the fabric store and am putting together my first completely-by-scratch dress. This dress form my friend cast for me is amazing! Hopefully I'll have this finished soon so I can get images up for critique :)

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

squirrellypoo posted:

Urbanthreads.com has a lot of cool stuff, but I'm just getting into embroidery myself...

Also, I just found out today that a store I can see through the window sitting at my desk at work is the new distributor of Sublime Stitching in the UK (Tatty Devine), woop!

Sweet thank you! I'm going to try this design on an old sheet in all black. If it works out well I will redo it in color on a black jacket I've been studding.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Goldaline posted:

So the hair chair is completed!

So. Much. Weave.

Oh... god... Is that real hair? I feel itchy just looking at it.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

madlilnerd posted:

Oh... god... Is that real hair? I feel itchy just looking at it.

weave is generally not real hair

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

teknicolor posted:

weave is generally not real hair

Good weave is--I got to learn a whole lot about hair extensions working on this.

It's actually about half and half. The blonde and sandy blond on the top and the two darkest shades are real, the rest is fake. The blonde up at the top was the worst, it was so damaged and gross feeling.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Huge question to ask all of you guys -- do any of you have any recommendations of how to do a slipcover for the Ikea Klippan 2 seat sofa? I am not a fan of the colors and I was hoping to make my own.

No pattern exists online. The Bemz company sells them, but I do not want to pay $150 for a cover when I can make it myself for cheaper.

How does one go about doing this the best way?

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
Excuse my spam, selling the last pair of jeans I posted.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21460117

extraneousXTs
May 4, 2004

courtney_beth posted:

Huge question to ask all of you guys -- do any of you have any recommendations of how to do a slipcover for the Ikea Klippan 2 seat sofa? I am not a fan of the colors and I was hoping to make my own.

No pattern exists online. The Bemz company sells them, but I do not want to pay $150 for a cover when I can make it myself for cheaper.

How does one go about doing this the best way?

Measure the couch and make a rough draft muslin mock-up to fit your couch with and sew a final project from that after much pinning, snipping, and experimenting.

If you're not in a huge hurry and have an Ikea local to you dive in the textile bins at the As-Is section keeping an eye out for tags labeled with the names of the Klippan slipcovers. Buy one for $7-$15 and make a pattern from it. So many people return Ikea slipcovers because they can be difficult to get on, my Ektorp chair is totally mismatched with covers from several $150+ chair cover sets for at most $30.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
What a brilliant idea. Thank you! I love the "As Is" section. I'll definitely check that out once per week until I can find one :)

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
It's time to retire my starter machine (well, that time was a while ago; it got caught in a flood and was never the same again :( ). I've been hoping to get an older machine (Bat Mouth's post sent me into paroxysms of jealousy), because I learned on one, because you can tinker with them with less threat of ruination, and because come on they're built like tanks!

I've found this guy on craigslist, and the price is right ($50) but I've never heard of this brand before. Its an Emdeko, and all I can find on the internet is reference to a later 1070's model being a "workhorse", so that bodes well? Does anyone out there have any experience/knowledge with this particular type of machine?

"deco" indeed!

Here's its cabinet:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Micomicona posted:

I've found this guy on craigslist, and the price is right ($50) but I've never heard of this brand before. Its an Emdeko, and all I can find on the internet is reference to a later 1070's model being a "workhorse", so that bodes well? Does anyone out there have any experience/knowledge with this particular type of machine?
Brother made those Emdeko machines, so they can use Brother feet - more importantly, you can use the class 15 bobbins that Brother makes.

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

These are all my work and my designs. The knits, crochets, embroidery, beading, patternmaking, sewing, etc, all my work. The dark looks were for my senior collection for school last year... I won "Best Construction." I won "Best Eveningwear" for the white look. There's more pics on my MySpace Feel free to drool a little ;)

*edit: if anyone has corsetry questions I'd be glad to help out.

DeliciousDarkness fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 26, 2009

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!

DeliciousDarkness posted:

No questions, but I did want to tell you that those are quite impressive. (although, I'm sure you already know that) I would love to see a picture of the front of the white piece though, the picture on your myspace showed some embroidery, but not straight on, and now I'm curious.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
What sort of boning are you using in there?

How hard is it to work with those metal hole thingies (and what are they called :/ )?

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

These are all my work and my designs. The knits, crochets, embroidery, beading, patternmaking, sewing, etc, all my work. The dark looks were for my senior collection for school last year... I won "Best Construction." I won "Best Eveningwear" for the white look. There's more pics on my MySpace Feel free to drool a little ;)

Sweet, sweet eye candy.

Nice work!

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I designed the tattoo and hand painted it onto the corset. I have other pics of the whole look that I'll dig up, it's hard to get all in one shot when the trains are down... like most of my work it's biiiig. ;)

I use spiral steel boning, the metal things are called grommets (like the holes on Chuck Taylor sneakers). They're similar to eyelets, but eyelets only have one part and the bottom part splits to make the back. Grommets have two parts, the front rounded part (the word escapes me right now) and a back washer. The front piece has a lip that rounds/rolls down over the washer and isn't meant to split. It's stronger, smoother, and nicer looking, and stays in much better under duress.

http://store.corsetmaking.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CMS&Category_Code=GST&AFFIL=CM
is where I order my supplies from, on this page you can see the tools for setting grommets. I use a hammer and die set because I don't have a freestanding set which is ideal.

http://www.corsetmaking.com/CMSpages/CMSboning.html
is the boning. I never use plastic or "rigilene" because it warps and then doesn't bounce back to its original shape. I personally hate it, it's what's used in commercial bridal and formal bodices and in cheaper (relatively) corset-styled tops and I think it wastes all your good effort.

Thanks for the compliments all :) I also have a profile up on Model Mayhem if anyone is on there.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Awesome! Thanks for the links, I've got this thought rolling around in the back of my head that I could make my own corset, something a little more traditional than today's popular models. ;)

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.farthingales.on.ca/simplicity_9769.php

I like the Simplicity historical patterns, they seem to be the best of the large commercial companies. Definitely make a mockup still though, corsets are very exacting in the fit.

I've never ordered from this website but I emailed them once with a question and they never wrote back so I'm not sure if they are still in business. They have a lot of useful information on the site though.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

http://www.farthingales.on.ca/simplicity_9769.php

I like the Simplicity historical patterns, they seem to be the best of the large commercial companies. Definitely make a mockup still though, corsets are very exacting in the fit.

I've never ordered from this website but I emailed them once with a question and they never wrote back so I'm not sure if they are still in business. They have a lot of useful information on the site though.

The woman who runs farthingales is always super busy because it's in Stratford, which is the Canadian theatre capital.

I've been to her store, it's one woman and a giant warehouse of materials. I was under the impression that she primarily provided corset supplies to the Stratford Festival Theatre itself. She told me that she does not help people with construction issues or tutor them in any way, she just supplies the materials people need, beyond that they are on their own. She wasn't quite rude about it, just bluntly explained that she couldn't help me pick out which boning was right for what I wanted, etc etc. She could procure what I needed, but couldn't help me figure out what was needed.

It looks like they've opened a US location http://www.farthingalesla.com/ which seems more newbie-friendly.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

the metal things are called grommets (like the holes on Chuck Taylor sneakers). They're similar to eyelets, but eyelets only have one part and the bottom part splits to make the back. Grommets have two parts, the front rounded part (the word escapes me right now) and a back washer. The front piece has a lip that rounds/rolls down over the washer and isn't meant to split. It's stronger, smoother, and nicer looking, and stays in much better under duress.
Huh! Thanks for that - I had no idea what the difference was before!

And your work is absolutely beautiful. I've only ever put boning into high waisted trousers and strapless dresses before, which is like hamfisted child's play compared to all that channeling.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Guys, I have two life-sized robots that need to be done by sunday, and my sewing machine just poo poo the bed completely. :( :( I've been lugging the material back and forth from my studio to the sewing room across the street.

Not to mention I can't afford a new one anytime soon.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Can anyone suggest a place to buy some plain grey wool fabric? I swear that I've looked everywhere I can think of and I just can't seem to find any regular, plain grey. It's really frustrating because its about the dullest and most regular thing I can think of, and no one seems to stock any.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for, but of course these guys (the only people I've found so far) are sold out and don't expect to get more.

Maybe my search abilities are just terrible.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
You did just misspell "gray" a lot--maybe that's the source of your fruitless searching?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well I look pretty stupid now, don't I? In my defense that's how it's spelt in British English, but I apparently failed to notice the difference.

It seems some places auto-correct or crosslink, which is why I was getting a handful of results but not a lot.

Thank you for pointing that out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seriouslywtf
Jul 10, 2003

Seriously. WTF?

Ashcans posted:

Can anyone suggest a place to buy some plain grey wool fabric? I swear that I've looked everywhere I can think of and I just can't seem to find any regular, plain grey. It's really frustrating because its about the dullest and most regular thing I can think of, and no one seems to stock any.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for, but of course these guys (the only people I've found so far) are sold out and don't expect to get more.

Maybe my search abilities are just terrible.
Are you specifically looking for a wool suiting (like the one you linked), or just any gray wool? What weight are you hoping to find, I guess is my question.