Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

Ugh are there any SS bikes that are comfortable? Reviews were making it look like is the supersport for the street. I'll probably end up getting a DRZ anyways. That much fun for close to 3 grand used is a drat good deal, regardless of what ends up getting dragged.

Comfort is a really, really subjective thing. I have a friend who rode from the middle of washington state to laguna seca on his without an issue, and I have another friend who did 400 mile days on an RC51...I know people who do hundreds of miles of freeway on duc 999s....

Try and find one and give it a shot before you decide it's not for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Z3n posted:

Comfort is a really, really subjective thing. I have a friend who rode from the middle of washington state to laguna seca on his without an issue, and I have another friend who did 400 mile days on an RC51...I know people who do hundreds of miles of freeway on duc 999s....

Try and find one and give it a shot before you decide it's not for you.

Also time in the saddle means a lot; being a huge pansy the first two weeks I had my F4i I thought I was going to die from what I considered to be a tortuous riding position (on what's often said to be the most comfortable of sportbikes). A month later and I was doing 350 mile days on it with no problem. This will probably not be the case on a 2009 R6, though.

Prince
Jul 12, 2006
I HOPE YOU LEAVE ENOUGH ROOM FOR MY FIST BECAUSE IM GOING TO RAM IT INTO YOUR STOMACH AND BREAK YOUR GOD DAMN SPINE
Apologies for linking to TMZ but they have a video of Brad Pitt "blowing it" through a stop sign. But I'm more interested in the bike he is on. The sound is incredible.

http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/21/brad-pitt-blows-it/

I'm pretty sure its a Ducati, any idea on the model?

edit: here are some screenshots

\/\/ yeah you're right, I got confused by this picture (same forks)

Prince fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 25, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
ain't no ducati i ever seen.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
definitely not a ducati

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Voxan? Whatever it is, I like it and approve 102.8%.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

This is all I saw.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Aww, I can't remember who makes them, but they're customs based off of a harley engine. The distinctive thing is the flowerpot style, side mount air filter buisness.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Z3n posted:

Aww, I can't remember who makes them, but they're customs based off of a harley engine. The distinctive thing is the flowerpot style, side mount air filter buisness.

S&S? Confederate?

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 25, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

S&S?

Nah, full custom bikes. I read an article about it years ago, it's some crazy harley based custom. Not any of the big names, (Confederate, RS, Roehr, etc) but some sort of one off, more performance oriented harley custom builder. Kinda an oxymoron, but when you're rich, I suppose it really doesn't matter.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 25, 2009

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

At least he put up his sidestand before he got into traffic. :downs: The bike looked really cool though. Sort of "I like what Buell is doing, I just don't like how they do it, lemme have a go".

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Gnaghi posted:

Ugh are there any SS bikes that are comfortable? Reviews were making it look like is the supersport for the street. I'll probably end up getting a DRZ anyways. That much fun for close to 3 grand used is a drat good deal, regardless of what ends up getting dragged.

From what I remember of the reviews and shootouts that I've read, the CBR600RR is generally consider the best of the 600SSes to use on the road due to suspension setup and engine and ergonomics. But the 675 has gotten rave reviews due to it's engine and the ease with which it's usable on the road.

If I were to get a 600SS, I'd want the Triumph.

Comfort? Hmm.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There are options for different bars and clipons on supersport bikes as well...

Spiegler/LSL makes handlebar kits.

Convertibars and Helibars make lifted clipons as well.

So there are options available if you want to make a supersport more comfortable.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Helibars turned my ZZR-600 into a very comfortable sport-tourer. I highly recommend them for any street-use SS.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
You can also retrofit Buell Lightning (I think that's the model) footpegs onto most any sportbike as well. They are a standard peg except they drop about 3/4" of an in from where the pin mounts. This really makes a huge difference if you are craving a bit of extra legroom. Here is a link to a howto:
http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t18932.html

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Orange Someone posted:

From what I remember of the reviews and shootouts that I've read, the CBR600RR is generally consider the best of the 600SSes to use on the road due to suspension setup and engine and ergonomics. But the 675 has gotten rave reviews due to it's engine and the ease with which it's usable on the road.

If I were to get a 600SS, I'd want the Triumph.

Comfort? Hmm.

Yeah I think we read the same reviews. The CBR was found to be more comfortable, but the Triumph won the "Street shootout." The GSXR was praised for adjustable footpegs and instrumentation which is a plus I guess. And the R6 just sucks unless you're racing.

It's good to know I can convert them for more comfort, though. I figured the seating/arms/foot position was kinda built into the design on SS bikes.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
I'm know very little about the RD's, but this deal is too good to pass up. If I had the money right now I'd snatch it up myself.

1975 RD350 for $700, running perfectly starts on first kick.

http://scranton.craigslist.org/mcy/1046714566.html

I live about 45 minutes to an hour away, so I'd be willing to look it over for an interested goon -- just cover my gas.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

goku chewbacca posted:

I'm know very little about the RD's, but this deal is too good to pass up. If I had the money right now I'd snatch it up myself.

Goddamn someone buy this poor bike and rehabilitate it. If I was anywhere near Scranton I'd be all over this.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
Well, in my neverending search for my first bike, I have now come upon a 1989 GS500E with 40k miles.

He's asking $1000, but I'm going to give him a lowball of $600 since he said the tires are old and the brakes are "good" at best.

The only problem is that it won't start. He describes the problem as:

"mechanically all i know is that the starter will crank but i get no spark. i cleaned and gapped the plugs and still no spark."

Any ideas what it could be and what kind of work I could expect if I bought this bike?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stoic Commie posted:

Any ideas what it could be and what kind of work I could expect if I bought this bike?

Could be coil, signal generator, ingiter unit, wiring, maybe more. The first three can be a bit costly to replace, although aftermarket coils are cheaper and do the job just fine.

If you can bring a multimeter with you in addition to some mental preparation you could probably find the fault in five minutes, say "this is going to be expensive to replace" and then take the bike with you for your lowball offer.

edit: pm sent

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 28, 2009

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Stoic Commie posted:

Well, in my neverending search for my first bike, I have now come upon a 1989 GS500E with 40k miles.

He's asking $1000, but I'm going to give him a lowball of $600 since he said the tires are old and the brakes are "good" at best.

The only problem is that it won't start. He describes the problem as:

Unless you are very handy with a wrench, or hard-pressed for cash, I would recommend against getting a non-running bike that you're unsure how to fix as your first bike. Purchase something that is mechanically sound that you can ride and enjoy first, and wrench on second.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Stoic Commie posted:

"mechanically all i know is that the starter will crank but i get no spark. i cleaned and gapped the plugs and still no spark."

Ola covered it well. I wouldn't buy the bike at even $600 non running, and no spark. No spark can add up to a $200 fix plus lots of time.

It's not the coils. If one cylinder lost spark, it might have been a coil. GS coils rarely fail hard, they typically are intermittent failures, or weather/heat related trouble. And in this case, unless there was some kind of miracle, and both coils failed at the same time, it's not the coils.

No spark AT ALL, makes me think it's wiring. When my ignition unit died on the '80 I still has weak, weak spark.

I've never seen the hall effect sensors fail.

If you buy the bike, you need to budget a new battery, time to clean the carbs, registration fees, and figure two or three weekends, and $250 for the ignition trouble.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
As a college student, hard pressed for cash I am. And honestly I would be much more comfortable with the bike if I get familiar with its guts first.

It'll be a while before I have a chance to ride it anyway, and I think I would enjoy working on it.

Nerobro posted:

No spark AT ALL, makes me think it's wiring. When my ignition unit died on the '80 I still has weak, weak spark.

Well he said it had "very little" spark at the plugs. So I suppose that means there is some.

If it is the wiring, what kind of work does that entail?

EDIT: He also said that he has no idea when the carbs were cleaned/rebuilt, but they were working at the beginning of last summer before it died on him. Could this have something to do with it?

EDIT2: after looking through the service manual and at OEM schematics. Odds are it is the most obvious issue, either the igniter assembly or signal generator. The most expensive being the igniter assembly at $343, so I will factor that into my offer.

Is it difficult to replace the igniter assembly or signal generator? From the looks of it, it doesn't appear to be, but I might be missing some annoying little steps.

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 28, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

He says weak spark, that means there is signal for spark. That means it's not the signal generator.

His ignitor is toast. They're $50-120 on ebay. They're stupidly simple to replace. They have a big plug on them. Two screws hold it down. undo the two screws, undo the connector, reverse steps with new ignitor.

Neroboro posted:

I still has weak, weak spark.
I has engrish.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

Nerobro posted:

He says weak spark, that means there is signal for spark. That means it's not the signal generator.

His ignitor is toast. They're $50-120 on ebay. They're stupidly simple to replace. They have a big plug on them. Two screws hold it down. undo the two screws, undo the connector, reverse steps with new ignitor.

Here is what he just emailed me:

"the multimeter needle barely jumps when the leads are touching the
spark plugs, the charge doesn't reach a sufficient level to make a
spark in between the metal pieces of the plug. the battery was dead
but we charged it and had it connected to a charger while looking for
the cause of the malfunction at the end of last summer."

So then I hope it is the ignitor. The igniter assembly is $343 OEM on bikebandit, so yeah I definitely hope ebay has it cheaper.

UFS207
Oct 29, 2005
Found a KILLER deal on a 2006 Kawasaki Z750S. What's a Z750S you may ask? I didn't know either until I saw the ad on craigslist and did the research. It's basically a Z1000 lite. The engine is literally a sleeved version of the 1000 so it should be pretty under-stressed; same bottom end...even the stroke is identical. Bike flopped hard here in the US sales-wise (only imported for model years '05 and '06) but is pretty popular across the pond.

Really sweet specs for a budget bike including a 430lbs dry weight, 100 honest hp at the rear wheel, 6 spd gearbox and fuel injection. Compares very favorably to a late model SV650 or FZ6, both of which I was on look-out for. MSRP was around $7200 new. If you are in the market and one of these bikes pops up for sale check it out.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

I picked it up about a week ago. Has some minor tip-over damage but the price reflected that. Guy was originally asking a little over $4K for it a couple months ago and kept re-listing it in -$200 increments but I got it for waaaay less than that. Only has 5K miles on it. Cash talks!

This is my 1st modern street bike. It's simply amazing how far things have come, even with the lower-class modern bikes. I just can't get over how quiet and smooth it is. My last bike was a 1980 CB750K. Great bike, but it got really needy the last couple years I owned it. Horrible electrical problems and finding parts for it was getting to be a real PITA. I replaced pretty much everything related to the charging/ignition system at least once in the 7 years I owned the bike. I got it running nicely one final time back before Christmas and ended up giving it away for $900, I had more than that in it over the last 2 years I owned it.

Anyways, good luck to the rest of you out looking for a bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

UFS207 posted:

Found a KILLER deal on a 2006 Kawasaki Z750S. What's a Z750S you may ask? I didn't know either until I saw the ad on craigslist and did the research. It's basically a Z1000 lite. The engine is literally a sleeved version of the 1000 so it should be pretty under-stressed; same bottom end...even the stroke is identical. Bike flopped hard here in the US sales-wise (only imported for model years '05 and '06) but is pretty popular across the pond.

Really sweet specs for a budget bike including a 430lbs dry weight, 100 honest hp at the rear wheel, 6 spd gearbox and fuel injection. Compares very favorably to a late model SV650 or FZ6, both of which I was on look-out for. MSRP was around $7200 new. If you are in the market and one of these bikes pops up for sale check it out.

I picked it up about a week ago. Has some minor tip-over damage but the price reflected that. Guy was originally asking a little over $4K for it a couple months ago and kept re-listing it in -$200 increments but I got it for waaaay less than that. Only has 5K miles on it. Cash talks!

This is my 1st modern street bike. It's simply amazing how far things have come, even with the lower-class modern bikes. I just can't get over how quiet and smooth it is. My last bike was a 1980 CB750K. Great bike, but it got really needy the last couple years I owned it. Horrible electrical problems and finding parts for it was getting to be a real PITA. I replaced pretty much everything related to the charging/ignition system at least once in the 7 years I owned the bike. I got it running nicely one final time back before Christmas and ended up giving it away for $900, I had more than that in it over the last 2 years I owned it.

Anyways, good luck to the rest of you out looking for a bike.

How much did you pay for the Z750? Looks like a lot of fun...I know I adore my g/f's Z1000.

First mod should be a Z1000 engine. Sleeper! :v:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

UFS207 posted:

I'm of the opinion that the thing flopped because they stuck that ugly as hell half fairing on the thing. The naked version they've got everywhere else in the world actually looks like a baby z1000. Its hot as hell:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

UFS207 posted:

Shiny

When I eventually move on from my current bike, this is likely what I'll move up to (or the Z1000). I'm probably the only person in the world that's sad that it's not air cooled, though. :(

UFS207
Oct 29, 2005

Z3n posted:

How much did you pay for the Z750? Looks like a lot of fun...I know I adore my g/f's Z1000.

First mod should be a Z1000 engine. Sleeper! :v:

I gave the guy $3300 for it. I feel like I did pretty good even with the minor tip-over damage. It needs a new slip-on (scratches/light ding) and possibly a clutch-cover housing (I think I could paint it, scratches aren't deep) to look 100%. I'm really not too concerned about it right now though, it runs like a bike with only 5K miles should. 1st mod will most likely be a corbin seat, the reviews about the stock seat were pretty harsh and I can see why. It's got more than enough power for pretty much anything I could ever see myself doing on the street.

pr0zac posted:

I'm of the opinion that the thing flopped because they stuck that ugly as hell half fairing on the thing. The naked version they've got everywhere else in the world actually looks like a baby z1000.

I read the main reason was because $1500 more would have bought the Z1000. With the exception of a few bikes anything that isn't a supersport or cruiser generally doesn't do well here. The whole bike is pretty ugly period but I think that about most of the japanese bikes made in the last 10 years. The whole angular stealth-bomber look just doesn't do it for me. At least the half-fairing makes it a bit more tolerable on the freeway. I definitely would not have considered one new.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Once I fix the clutch on my ex500, I'm planning on selling it. How dumb of an idea would it be to buy this? http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcy/1053042766.html

I can only assume the maintenance would be absurd, but I don't really know. It's pretty much a street legal CRF 450 with a supermoto kit, and I've been eyeing up supermotos a whole bunch lately. I know the 450 dirt bikes are supposed to be stupidly quick and light, but it seems like a half decent deal if I can come up with the money for it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

It's a good price. But it's a wildly bad idea. Maintenance cycles on the high end 450's are measured in hours. Hours you can count on your hands. And you NEED to keep on top of it. Same with checking and adjusting the valves. Price out what a top end rebuild costs on a motor like that... I wonder if that's why it's so cheap.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trintintin posted:

Once I fix the clutch on my ex500, I'm planning on selling it. How dumb of an idea would it be to buy this? http://savannah.craigslist.org/mcy/1053042766.html

I can only assume the maintenance would be absurd, but I don't really know. It's pretty much a street legal CRF 450 with a supermoto kit, and I've been eyeing up supermotos a whole bunch lately. I know the 450 dirt bikes are supposed to be stupidly quick and light, but it seems like a half decent deal if I can come up with the money for it.

Oh god, what a good deal. (That'd be like, 4-5k out here in CA thanks to it being inmpossible to street register dirt bikes. )

Nero is right on maintenence, and I'd bet it needs a rebuild, but it only needs work every couple of hours if it's being raced. If you're riding it more sedately, then maintenence intervals can probably be stretched quite a bit once you've got a handle on the specs and how quickly things are going to wear.

Only worth buying if you're already a mechanic and ready to work on your bike regularly.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Yeah thats what I figured, It's just such a drat good deal and I've grown to love supermotos.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ I've been heavily debating it, if the 500 ever sells We'll see which way I go. \/\/\/\/\/\/

Trintintin fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 5, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trintintin posted:

Yeah thats what I figured, It's just such a drat good deal and I've grown to love supermotos.

Buy a DRZ.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

Z3n posted:

Buy a DRZ.

Speaking of the DRZ, what's everyone's consensus on the fairly new WR250X? I realize the DRZ has been around for a million years, but the specs are almost equal on both with the 250 being made with newer tech. I could never get a good reading from other boards because they were always bias towards one or the other depending on which section it was based.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

AkrisD posted:

Speaking of the DRZ, what's everyone's consensus on the fairly new WR250X? I realize the DRZ has been around for a million years, but the specs are almost equal on both with the 250 being made with newer tech. I could never get a good reading from other boards because they were always bias towards one or the other depending on which section it was based.

If you are looking for a cool 250 dual sport, the re-released Super Sherpas are getting a huge following pretty quickly. Plus they are like $4k new.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
See, this boggles me about the Sherpas because nothing about them is particularly new. It's a farm bike!

What about it is getting it a huge following, other than the price (and possibly the reliability)?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Phy posted:

What about it is getting it a huge following, other than the price (and possibly the reliability)?

Well...Pretty much just that :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oh. Sorry! I was wondering if there was something I missed and by some weird confluence of factors it made a decent sumo. It is a good little bike, though!