Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

kapalama posted:

That one I don't get. What exactly is it searching for there? A link whose text includes that, or whose actual url includes that?

(I think I am just frustrated about always calling up a link search, when I want a text search, but still I don't get what the link search is all about.)

I just tried this for the first time and can already tell you the answer is a link whose text includes what you're searching for. Search for "Profile" on this page and watch what it returns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Just grabbed this browser today and I've got to say holy poo poo. This browser is superb. Simple, straightforward and quick, but it also has some awesome features like the Speed Dial.

e: Jesus I just found out about mouse gestures. So awesome.

e2: Does anyone know how to disable my mouse6 button (thumb button on the G5) from being the Back button? I tried editting the settings in the advanced window and also editting the config files, but no dice unless I did something wrong.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 10, 2009

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

krylex posted:

Mine got reset when youtube decided I needed UK English instead of US, but I just set it and it's working fine for me.
Just tried it and no dice. Also, my auto update won't work. Unlike before when it couldn't fetch the update, it can't even launch now.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mo_Steel posted:

e2: Does anyone know how to disable my mouse6 button (thumb button on the G5) from being the Back button? I tried editting the settings in the advanced window and also editting the config files, but no dice unless I did something wrong.

I think that might be you OS's mouse settings.

Wallin
May 10, 2004
:o
Those of you on OSX: are you able to regularly open a new tab, and first thing you do is use a keyboard shortcut for search without it crashing? If so, what version of OSX are you using?

I've been unable to do this (for example new tab, g somethingawful) for about a month now, and think it may be tied to a recent Leopard update. I'm using 10.5.6. It definitely worked before, but now this action causes an instant crash almost constantly.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
I have intermittant, rare crashes when using that kind of search. On Vista, with Opera 9.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I use 10 alpha on XP and 9.62 on OSX 10.5.6 with no problems with address bar searching on either.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
That's pretty much my main mode of operations and I haven't had an issue with it on 9 or 10 in xp or 10 in win7.

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.
nope, never, and I do that constantly. Using 9.63 on OS X 10.5.6 as well. Maybe something is hosed up in your search.ini? Does it happen with every search or only specific ones like google?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Anyone using Bloglines with Opera 10.0? I've been meaning to go back to it, but it doesn't seem to work. Oddly enough, it worked the first time I tried it - yesterday.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Wallin posted:

Those of you on OSX: are you able to regularly open a new tab, and first thing you do is use a keyboard shortcut for search without it crashing? If so, what version of OSX are you using?

I've been unable to do this (for example new tab, g somethingawful) for about a month now, and think it may be tied to a recent Leopard update. I'm using 10.5.6. It definitely worked before, but now this action causes an instant crash almost constantly.

Opera has several lists which it has apparently set no upper limit on. Favicons are the one I had the most trouble with. When they get too long Opera just bogs or crashes.

Figure out where that auto complete list (or whatever you call that thing) is stored and kill it.

I wish Opera would have a "get rid of all the accumulated crap that is slowing my Opera down" button to click. Leave my bookmarks, toolbars, and searches and clean the rest out. Or at least put some uppper cacp on the number of whatevers it is trying to remember.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Wallin posted:

This isn't really in response to your question or anything, but a handy Opera feature you might not know about is to give bookmarks "Nicknames" which you can then just type into the URL bar. For example, I bookmarked the forums and gave it a Nickname of 'sa', so when I want to hit the forums, I just type 'sa' into the URL bar and hit enter. Much easier than typing the full URL or googling or whatever you do to hit common sites.

Also: type /. into the URL bar and hit enter :cool:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

This is starting to gently caress me off. Opera will not save my bookmarklets. I've dragged a Digg bookmarklet next to my browser bar about 5 times now.

Why won't it stay there?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
^^^
Have you exited Opera properly? Or has it crashed or you've shut down the machine with it still running? These will often cause it to drop recent changes.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Also make sure your directory where Opera stores data isn't readonly. Opera doesn't really notify about when it can't write files except when it's mail.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Auto update has a surprise for anyone with Snapshots enabled.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/show.dml/2975248

Online feed readers are now supported, just like Webmail was for last time. Seems to just list Google Reader for me, but it might intelligently check which ones you've logged into or something. Looks really easy to use, just need to figure out how to change the default.

Webmail seems to have broken though, no longer lists Gmail, just Yandex or something I've never heard of.

Additionally, they claim over 1000 changes behind the scenes.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 12, 2009

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Careful, updating from one of the previous 9.5x versions to this nuked my bookmarks. Good thing i only use them for 2 side panels. And the bookmarks.adr file is still there too.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Double post, since it's 3 hours later and i have some questions:

Is anyone else experiencing high CPU activity when scrolling up and down with the mouse wheel, but NOT with the middle-click-drag scroll? I noticed it while scrolling through threads here on SA.

Similarly, is anyone experiencing input lag when holding backspace or cur-left/cur-right in input fields like the post fields here on SA? (Spell-checking on/off doesn't seem to matter.)

Edit: Whoa, since when is opera conservative with GDI objects? This is the first time I've seen it go below 3000 in normal use in half a year.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 12, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Opera now has some cool Win7 functionality, with a Recent list on right click in the Win7 taskbar.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
I'm having a strange issue with tab switching in Opera right now. If the window behind Opera is the next in the application switching order (ie: I just alt-tabbed from the window behind Opera to Opera), then I click another tab in Opera, Opera loses focus and the window behind it comes in front. This doesn't occur if I use ctrl-tab to switch tabs in Opera, only if I click on a tab.

I'm running Opera 9.63 under Ubuntu 8.04 with some compiz effects enabled.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this, or what I might be able to look into to find a solution?

ETA:

Solved my problem (I think). Some craziness with window decoration, disabled window decoration for Opera from the Advanced Desktop Effects control panel and things seem alright now.

Melraidin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 12, 2009

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Whenever I try to view a streaming video, it ends abruptly after the first few seconds.

I'm using Opera 10 beta.

What's going on? :(

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Whenever I try to view a streaming video, it ends abruptly after the first few seconds.

I'm using Opera 10 beta.

Had this issue too. Just started randomly happening about 2-3 days ago. Updated to the latest build fixed it for me

turtle_07
Jun 13, 2003

Hear, hear!

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I'm using Opera 10 beta.

I used to have this problem with early 9.xx, it seemed fixed in later builds. A browser restart always fixed it for me.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Gmail seems to load up faster in the new build.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

gret posted:

Gmail seems to load up faster in the new build.

It does seem faster than I remember.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I'm using Opera 10 beta.

According to what someone told me once, that's not the browser, but a Flash bug. I've known some IE/Firefox people who had it too.

Still have to reset the browser to fix it, gently caress only knows why.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Syrg posted:

According to what someone told me once, that's not the browser, but a Flash bug. I've known some IE/Firefox people who had it too.

Still have to reset the browser to fix it, gently caress only knows why.
I read somewhere that this happens when you have too many (~15?) flash objects open. I also had this problem and fixed it by using a flashblock that requires you to click on the flash content before it's loaded, so there's never too many of them open.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

Saukkis posted:

I read somewhere that this happens when you have too many (~15?) flash objects open. I also had this problem and fixed it by using a flashblock that requires you to click on the flash content before it's loaded, so there's never too many of them open.

It actually has to do with how poo poo flash handles a corrupted embed. It happened a LOT when Chrome was in beta too.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If I am viewing a plain text file in Opera, how do I enable Word Wrap?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
View >> Fit to Width. There's also a little button on the status bar that toggles the setting.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

:cool:

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Haha somehow I never thought of that for that particular instance either. :gonk:

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Honestly, I didn't think of it until he asked.

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
I discovered fit to width did that a while ago, and it made me very happy. Why doesn't Opera word-wrap text files to begin with? What's the justification for not doing that?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

GuyGizmo posted:

I discovered fit to width did that a while ago, and it made me very happy. Why doesn't Opera word-wrap text files to begin with? What's the justification for not doing that?

Logs, code and a variety of other things where it is a lot nicer/easier to see it unwrapped. I know I disable wrap when looking through some logs at work.

Wallin
May 10, 2004
:o
Looks like the newest alpha version of opera for mac fixed my crash issues with custom searches!

Another issue, which may or may not affect pc people as well. Certain actions in facebook slow my system down to a crawl. For example, after posting a link, when you get to preview and type in your comment, the text displayed can't even keep up with what I type. Anyone else have this same problem?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Wallin posted:

Looks like the newest alpha version of opera for mac fixed my crash issues with custom searches!

Another issue, which may or may not affect pc people as well. Certain actions in facebook slow my system down to a crawl. For example, after posting a link, when you get to preview and type in your comment, the text displayed can't even keep up with what I type. Anyone else have this same problem?

I haven't tried sharing a link recently but everything else on Facebook is perfectly fine for me. Is this new to the latest alpha?

This is on Vista and OSX.

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business
Just tried going to lulu.com, upon which I was greeted with this baby:

Link.

Any way to find out more about this? Information's kept at a minimum to say the least.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Weird, doesn't give me any problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Zuffox posted:

Just tried going to lulu.com, upon which I was greeted with this baby:

Link.

Any way to find out more about this? Information's kept at a minimum to say the least.

Here's what I got when I tried:

code:
Fraud Warning
[url]http://lulu.com/[/url]

The page you are trying to open has been reported for distributing malicious software. Any software from this page may be harmful. Opera Software strongly discourages visiting this page.
Has a homepage link and an "Ignore this warning" link.