Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Affi posted:

Well we know which alignments they are now! Orange is Lawful Evil, Purple is Neutral Evil and Yellow is Chaotic Stupid.

Their deal is too good to be true! (it is)
They'll have control over V at three occasions of their choosing, and if V makes too many good will saves they can have him for a week even. (they can also have him kill his own family)

edit; Also that strip ended abruptly, second 'page' was only a halfer!

fake edit; Riddled with spelling errors too!

Their names correspond with their alignment as well don't they? I can't check because the site is down but we have CEdric, NEsomething and LEsomething.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Apocron posted:

Their names correspond with their alignment as well don't they? I can't check because the site is down but we have CEdric, NEsomething and LEsomething.
But we didn't know which color corresponded to which evil.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Affi posted:

Well theoretically this can solve a lot of things. With the power at V's command he can theoretically kill the dragon then go kill Xykon.

Yeah, that was what I thought too. V's getting a massive strings-attached power dump in order to cope with the vastly powerful archvillain.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
So V is going to be controlled for an indeterminate amount of time by demons who have the ability to stop time. This will turn out well.

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!

bison wings posted:

I was hoping for something more permanent from this deal... After this arc finally ends: Elan got a prestige class, Roy got new feats from the afterlife, Haley got a magic weapon and a haircut, Belkar got a new alignment? (chaotic evil to neutral evil it seems), and Durkon hasn't been featured much but I have a feeling he's coming up. It's like Burlew is loading up shiny new toys for everyone but all V gets is three betray-your-friends-plot-devices.

Well, Theoretically, V could hold onto this for a couple of months at a time . . . I don't think that will happen, but its a technical possibility!
I agree though . . . It feels kind of lacklustre that it isn't some permanent change. I'm sure something else will come of this . . .
It also feels like something is going to come back to bite V in the rear end; however, it seems to me that the fiends don't actually get V's body, just her soul and abilities. Just as V will be getting the abilities of these three souls.
I don't know, though . . . we'll have to wait and see.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

So V is going to be controlled for an indeterminate amount of time by demons who have the ability to stop time. This will turn out well.

Of course, the demons may live to regret giving him access to the powers of somebody who's a "master of arcane flexibility." V's a schemer.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Yeah, I really hope Burlew spins this so V, ever watchful of cliche's and humdrum villainy, somehow turns this completely around, permanently binding these souls to himself while preventing the forces of hell from using him.

And anyway, the bigger negative here is that by accepting the deal, V will be assisting in creating an alliance of demons and devils and all that jazz, who combined could seriously gently caress up the good planes.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

tazman posted:

And anyway, the bigger negative here is that by accepting the deal, V will be assisting in creating an alliance of demons and devils and all that jazz, who combined could seriously gently caress up the good planes.

Yeah, but if V spins it around and turns it back on the guys who offered the deal, the whole alliance fragments seconds later. I like V's odds on this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bison wings posted:

Belkar got a new alignment? (chaotic evil to neutral evil it seems),
No. Stupid Evil to Chaotic Evil.

Pyre_89 posted:

Well, Theoretically, V could hold onto this for a couple of months at a time . . . I don't think that will happen, but its a technical possibility!
I agree though . . . It feels kind of lacklustre that it isn't some permanent change. I'm sure something else will come of this . . .
Seems likely that V will get drunk on power (convincing himself it's so he can accomplish worthwhile things) and hold on to the evil souls way longer than is necessary or prudent.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Seems likely that V will get drunk on power (convincing himself it's so he can accomplish worthwhile things) and hold on to the evil souls way longer than is necessary or prudent.

V will convince himself that, if he can keep control over the power forever, he'll never need to pay off the debt.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Affi posted:

Well theoretically this can solve a lot of things. With the power at V's command he can theoretically kill the dragon then go kill Xykon.

Im never really sure how much to metagame the comic, but that would be a terrible DMing decision. You don't give the player who has been a pain in the rear end and broken off from the rest of the party all the powers them need to resolve the conflicts, its kicking all the other players in the balls.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Clearly you are unversed in the "Give him enough rope to hang himself" school of DMing. :)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Eh, wouldn't the black dragons antimagic sphere still gently caress V over? He's just getting the powers of 3 other mages.. ?

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist

Affi posted:

Eh, wouldn't the black dragons antimagic sphere still gently caress V over? He's just getting the powers of 3 other mages.. ?

Well, Mage’s Disjunction works against Anti Magic Field 1% per caster level. V + 3 epic level casters should be something like a 75th level wizard.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
My own quote is making me wonder... what do you think the will saving throws are like on a 75th level character? S/He might end up owing those three evil SOBs *alot* of time.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

bison wings posted:

My own quote is making me wonder... what do you think the will saving throws are like on a 75th level character? S/He might end up owing those three evil SOBs *alot* of time.

To me it sounds like he gets access to their powers, but his willpower is what has to control the other 3, not all 3 combined. Thats why they're saying that it may not last very long.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Affi posted:

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly antimagic sphere doesn't stop epic magic.

Edit: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spellsIntro.htm
The antimagic field has to roll a d20+20 vs DC 11+caster level, meaning that at best an antimagic field has less that 50% of stopping epic magic, and has no chance of stopping a caster of level 30 or above.

Sefer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 23, 2009

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Affi posted:

The dragon dismissed the Anti-Magic Field (not Anti-Magic Sphere, don't forget) before she teleported away. She has no reason to re-cast it after arriving, so V can probably count on at least a couple of rounds to let loose with her Ultimate Arcane Power. And even if the dragon recasts it Anti-Magic isn't the be-all, end-all; there are ways to attack through it. Especially now that V's expecting it and is apparently getting Conjuration unbarred.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Why is Antimagic a trump card? It seems like Dispel Magic ought to undo it somehow.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pope Guilty posted:

Why is Antimagic a trump card? It seems like Dispel Magic ought to undo it somehow.

The simple answer is because WotC decided it should be a trump card. According to the D20 SRD, Dispel Magic has no effect on Antimagic Field, but as has been mentioned before, Mage's Disjunction has a chance.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
If Sabine's the one who ratted V out to this trilateral commission, and if she's eligible for a 10% "finder's fee" of however long V's forced to serve evil, what would she use it for?

Capturing Elan for a threesome?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This could go very badly for V, for reason just pointed out to me:

- V is going to get his soul spliced with several souls of extreme power.
- He's going after a dragon who likes to plan and scheme, and hates V (and may have visited an Oracle that could let him know how this is going to work out).
- Said dragon has soul-binding necromancy scrolls.

I don't know enough D&D rules to figure out how this is going to go, but it seems like having two soul-related magics in one scene is a Checkov's Gun.

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Bobulus posted:

This could go very badly for V, for reason just pointed out to me:

- V is going to get his soul spliced with several souls of extreme power.
- He's going after a dragon who likes to plan and scheme, and hates V (and may have visited an Oracle that could let him know how this is going to work out).
- Said dragon has soul-binding necromancy scrolls.

I don't know enough D&D rules to figure out how this is going to go, but it seems like having two soul-related magics in one scene is a Checkov's Gun.

I agree about the Checkov's Gun part, but I expect it will go another way. V accepts the deal, knowing that the dragon has scrolls of soul bind on her person. V then plans on defeating the dragon, then using the dragon's scrolls to permanently bind those souls to him / in gems. Thus V's debt to the three will never come due.

This of course, is V's plan. Whether it works out that way is a completely different question.

edit: Looking carefully, the spell Soul Bind actually requires a recently dead soul. So either Bulrew ignores that, or this is a total red herring.

Kramer fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 24, 2009

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Kill the dragon, kill & bind the three, release the power, shout "booyah!".

happyelf
Nov 9, 2000

by mons al-madeen
he could jsut say they counted as alive when they're bound to v, yeah

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bobulus posted:

This is the only part of the post I want to say anything about. The Oracle was really, really curt with his answers, for the most part. I doubt he'll have told the dragon EVERYTHING. Also, the dragon seemed pretty confident that V was hosed when the dragon teleported away, and didn't seem to be in any hurry to get there before the evil dudes gave V all this power.

Basically, while the dragon may have planned and schemed, I think this is out of the blue, and the dragon's not aware.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Wouldn't an event have to happen in-time for the Oracle to see it? And since time was stopped on the island the second the envelope was opened, before the fiends teleported there, maybe the oracle doesn't know about it anyway?

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

rotinaj posted:

This is the only part of the post I want to say anything about. The Oracle was really, really curt with his answers, for the most part. I doubt he'll have told the dragon EVERYTHING. Also, the dragon seemed pretty confident that V was hosed when the dragon teleported away, and didn't seem to be in any hurry to get there before the evil dudes gave V all this power.

Basically, while the dragon may have planned and schemed, I think this is out of the blue, and the dragon's not aware.
But the Oracle hates humans and likes dragons, so he might have told her a lot more. I think the poster above me might have the right idea.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Except when V shows up to attempt to stop the dragon, it will be occurring in real time.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Commissar posted:

Except when V shows up to attempt to stop the dragon, it will be occurring in real time.

True. Unless this new power grants V the ability to stop time, as well.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that V will just try to kill the fiends after saving his family, rather than pay them back?

qscerg
Dec 29, 2005
With epic levels from three casters he should definitely have access to Wish a pre-epic spell.

Which could actually:

Bring Roy back from the dead - Revive the dead. A wish can bring a dead creature back to life by duplicating a resurrection spell. A wish can revive a dead creature whose body has been destroyed, but the task takes two wishes, one to recreate the body and another to infuse the body with life again. A wish cannot prevent a character who was brought back to life from losing an experience level.

Bring the entire group back together - Transport travelers. A wish can lift one creature per caster level from anywhere on any plane and place those creatures anywhere else on any plane regardless of local conditions. An unwilling target gets a Will save to negate the effect, and spell resistance (if any) applies.

And he could do this before he goes to take the dragon for added fire power. To bad that will probably never happen.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Bobulus posted:

- He's going after a dragon who likes to plan and scheme, and hates V (and may have

I would imagine that the oracle's powers probably fall a little short of predicting the kind of infernal intervention that we're seeing.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

Wouldn't an event have to happen in-time for the Oracle to see it? And since time was stopped on the island the second the envelope was opened, before the fiends teleported there, maybe the oracle doesn't know about it anyway?

The only thing the Oracle told the dragon was V's name, as the person who killed her son. Everything else the dragon knows about V, she learned through her own scrying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Taerkar posted:

I would imagine that the oracle's powers probably fall a little short of predicting the kind of infernal intervention that we're seeing.

Well, we have to remember that the Oracle could apparently predict V being put into this situation... unless the "four words" are something completely different and V gets a separate chance at Ultimate Power.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
the Oracle also doesn't have the ability to change what he sees, otherwise he would have stopped Belkar from killing him. Instead he just got some fun revenge and a prearranged rez. Even if the dragon is a good customer and dragonkind is the intended benefactor of Tiamat's visions, if V is gonna whup rear end here then that's just the way it's going to play out.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Maldraedior posted:

the Oracle also doesn't have the ability to change what he sees, otherwise he would have stopped Belkar from killing him. Instead he just got some fun revenge and a prearranged rez. Even if the dragon is a good customer and dragonkind is the intended benefactor of Tiamat's visions, if V is gonna whup rear end here then that's just the way it's going to play out.

Agreed. The Oracle doesn't seem to have the kind of power where he sees what might be and can alter that. He sees what will happen as a result of his "interference" or not. Like the Grandfather paradox in reverse.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There is always the chance that the oracle is a big enough jerk to let himself get killed in order to just screw with the halfling. It's not like there is danger when you can call up someone to get brought back to life.

Think about it, there is someone you hate or at least SEVERELY dislike, and you have the chance to screw them over for pretty much weeks to months at a time, and all you have to do is die once and be brought back. Sort of like an evil jesus.

I am not really a big fan of RPGs or the whole dungeons and dragons bit, but I gotta say, this strip is pretty sweet. I can follow it well enough, and I like the little touches like the "I killed a PC and I got was this lousy t-shirt".

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
That's the thing. All I know about D&D rules are from playing Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights and I get most of the things in this comic, easily enough to greatly enjoy it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I've DM'd 2E, 3E, 3.5E and 4E, and the nice thing about this comic is that you don't actually have to know the rules to get the jokes. It's more "LOL, generic rules joke" than "LOL, he reference an abscure prestige class from a sourcebook that was combined with an article in Dragon magazine to be broken and overpowered - wacky AND hillarious." Though there certainly isn't a lack of such understanding jokes - the plot just doesn't rely on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
So, who is betting on the dragon not actually teleporting at V's family? V is pretty screwed as it is, and the dragon might rather play it safe and let the demons do the dirty work.