Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

heeen posted:

Where can I get some free/public domain/creative commons models of humans for a hobby computer game project? Do any of you guys want to offer their models to showcase in a game, with credits, of course?

I vaguely recall turbosquid used to offer some free, really bland base models ages ago. I'm not sure if they still do, or if they're CC licensed, but it's a place to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I'm not sure what they put in the water over there, but French animation students consistently produce some of the best school projects I've ever seen: http://www.yankeegal.com/

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

DefMech posted:

I'm not sure what they put in the water over there, but French animation students consistently produce some of the best school projects I've ever seen: http://www.yankeegal.com/

French animation has always kinda owned. I'm not surprised they produce great 3d stuff as well.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Unexpected EOF posted:

French animation has always kinda owned. I'm not surprised they produce great 3d stuff as well.

You're right. We have a student working here who animated/worked on Octopodi short. It's up for Oscar's!

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Okay, so it's official, I loving love Maya's interface, save for a few glitches (notably one involving undo that crashes it) and the fact that I'm still getting the hang of node based material editing. Since I don't want to poo poo up this thread with endless questions as I learn the trial, is there an active community I can go to to get some help with this? Most of it has been intuitive so far, but there's still issues with workflow I'd like to get around.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd go to the maya forum on CGTalk

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yup and the highend3d.com listserv have been my choice sources of info sine Maya 1.0!

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
Does anyone have any recommendations for good intermediate Max Particle Flow tutorials/examples? I've just started seriously studying it this week and I've found a bunch of "baby's first particle system" tutorials and extremely sophisticated scripted examples, but not a whole hell of a lot in the middle. I can't help feeling like I'm missing something out there.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's not a whole lot out there but you could look at Allan McKay's Stuff or Bobo's Stuff if you haven't already

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just finished this short animation clip for my animation class. It is the first time I synchronize dialog with 3d animation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLIFD_Z-KTI

GFBeach
Jul 6, 2005

Surrounded by wierdos
Jaguar McGuire blog has been updated. This update has a good bit of media posted, including another part of our workreel and a bunch of concept art. Nothing from me, sadly, though now that stuff is getting textured/shader'd it'll probably be in the next update.

EDIT:

Hackuma posted:

I just finished this short animation clip for my animation class. It is the first time I synchronize dialog with 3d animation.

One thing that's bugging me is that the timing on the initial part ("What we got here...") is a bit to even from gesture to gesture. Because the timing is so even it doesn't feel like natural character movement. I think it looks okay overall, though.

VVV Also, this. The words don't match the movements. The gestures seem exaggerated and theatrical, whereas the words and tone of voice seem a bit more relaxed and non-confrontational.

GFBeach fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 20, 2009

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hackuma posted:

I'm not really seeing it though. The body language doesnt really back up the monologue.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

Hackuma posted:

Snap it up and commit to the poses more.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind for my next assignment.

Edit: And maybe I'll fix this if I have time later.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 21, 2009

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
When the boat goes down, I'll be driving
finished an animation assignment involving balance.

http://vimeo.com/3302026

it plays in super speed when you load it first so make sure you watch it a second time. If that makes sense.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's a lot of floating and aimless acting there.

The jumping on one foot action doesnt communicate anything, and the weight ends up wrong. When you lift up one foot, you shift your weight over to the other leg. If he's warming/psyching himself up to jump, he shouldnt look bored and ready to fall asleep. All his actions seem to be slowing down the further we go, when it should be the opposite, building up to this explosion of action.

You probably want him to look at his target rather than his toes when he's getting ready to jump. I do like the slip and tumble at the end, it shows a better sense of balance than the pre-jump stuff.

There's plenty of footage for reference out there to draw out real actions from, rather than putting in flabby filler into your animation.

ref:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervl8_gDeDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-DOB39FGC0

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A self portrait I started a few weeks ago and had another look at tonight. It needs a fair bit of refinement but it does look like me so far :) If it gets good I might put it on the showreel, which I hope to have ready in a month or so.

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009
Looks nice. First thing I thought was Trent Reznor :)

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

There's a lot of floating and aimless acting there.

The jumping on one foot action doesnt communicate anything, and the weight ends up wrong. When you lift up one foot, you shift your weight over to the other leg. If he's warming/psyching himself up to jump, he shouldnt look bored and ready to fall asleep. All his actions seem to be slowing down the further we go, when it should be the opposite, building up to this explosion of action.

You probably want him to look at his target rather than his toes when he's getting ready to jump. I do like the slip and tumble at the end, it shows a better sense of balance than the pre-jump stuff.

There's plenty of footage for reference out there to draw out real actions from, rather than putting in flabby filler into your animation.

ref:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ervl8_gDeDc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-DOB39FGC0

Thanks for the critique. I should of thought of looking up parkour videos.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp, I think he's ready to sculpt and rig up. Havent done any 3d in forever and feels good get back into it.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Feb 22, 2009

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I like the proportions on that guy. What is the purpose of the character?
Also what do plan to sculpt on to him? Suit details, muscles?
He looks like he would be fun to animate.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

His main purpose is to run through an obstacle course, give me more practice and pad out my showreel with new material, hopefully. I wont be changing the base shape too much in the sculpt, it'll mainly be suit details, zippers, material stretching and folds.

I think I've finally made my peace with max's pelting tools and am actually getting decent results now. Hooray!

edit: Terrifying in-progress sculpt:

And at a decent enough stage for animation.

Uhm, except that somewhere in between zbrush and max, the normal mapping picked up a ton of seam errors. argh.

And sorted. Yeah it's crap up close, but that's nowhere near where we'll get.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 23, 2009

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Symmetry, normal maps and Zbrush to Max exporting caused me no end of grief today. Eventually I just had to make mirrored copies of all the textures with inverted normal map settings. What a headache.

Here's a turntable after I got everything fixed up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up0Dh859RJw

...son of a bitch I think the maps on the shoes are inverted.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!
Don't even get me started. The lack of Max's workflow between any other apps is one of the things that's been turning me away from it. That does look a lot better than I was expecting from the earlier previews. It'd be interesting to see how it animates.

le capitan
Dec 29, 2006
modeling assignment for class. Had to model another classmate's concept of a metal fish that picks up underwater mail. Still working on ripping the UV's. Took about 8 hours give or take. I'm pretty happy with it. Some of the smoothing is kinda funky.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Lightwave 9.6 is teh sex.

Just finally got around to downloading the update, I was running 9.0 here and 9.2 at work before. The improvements really make me happy :) It's so much easier to use. I wish they'd work on interface and user experience more often. It also feels like they are playing catch up, getting their nodal editor up to date with the latest gadgets included in the actual program.

And finally anti-aliasing of the in-program display. Thank. God. I can actually see what my rig is doing.

Really similar to the last, but I updated some textures and fixed the occlusion transparency problem. Working on facial morphs. I'm going to hopefully create a webpage for this project so expect a beauty render soon.

Oh and also I did a title design. I finally had an idea from a rooster shirt I bought :) It still needs a little tweaking.

This animation is starting to come together. Expect Tinman to make a reappearance soon. I'm going to be reworking him as this new animation will be in a slightly different style. And I have to make him smile and emote, the old model can't do that.

Edit: Oh and here's the rig if anyone wants to see what it looks like.

Hinchu fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 25, 2009

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

le capitan posted:

modeling assignment for class. Had to model another classmate's concept of a metal fish that picks up underwater mail. Still working on ripping the UV's. Took about 8 hours give or take. I'm pretty happy with it. Some of the smoothing is kinda funky.

It looks really squishy. If it's supposed to be mechanical then you really dont need to throw on so much smoothing that it looks more plasticine-like than mechanical.

Hinchu, is there anywhere we can see more from the project besides the coming-soon webpage?

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.
Yeah sure. I'm getting ready to hit the hay as I'm burning the midnight oil right now, but I'll get some more information up later. This is one of those projects that will take a few years to finish. I work full time now and I'm married so sometimes it's hard to find time to work on it.

I'm planning on getting a more in depth "coming soon" page together. But I'd like to do some easy videocast type things to show off everything I'm working on and my process.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

^^^ Nice to see the update!! Would be interested in following the progress via a blog etc.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dusting off old projects that I forgot about halfway through. :|

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

le capitan posted:

You have an incredible number of smoothing errors. Those come from the way you built your subd mesh and you really need to re-work that stuff. Its only going to look worse when you have a nice shader on it and the specular, reflection, etc, makes it look like a bent turd.

edit: if you post your wireframe (use isoline display so its actually readable) we may be able to help. The general rules are avoid n-gons and keep things in quads.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 25, 2009

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
now that were somewhat on the subject, what purpose do n-gons serve?

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 26, 2009

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
they can be easier to work with and sometimes they cause things to smooth more nicely.

here's some examples:
http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=853368&postcount=40

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRiayj2i6HY

Threw a downloaded .bip clip of a drunken ballet dancer on him to test out the rig after throwing out the old hands and redoing them along with the bootcap, and skinning up the parts that needed to be skinned. Then screaming in frustration as the hips collapsed down to nothing in the twists and turns. All good now... I think.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

International Log posted:

Better, but:

The field of view is huge, make it smaller (like 55-65 degrees), now you have 2 big empty areas on the left and right side of your image. Make the doorstills a lot thinner too, unless you're going for somekind of style.

BonoMan posted:

Couple of things. It looks like a model. This is due to inappropriate use of DoF and size of details. The carpet texture is way too large in its tiling. The print should be smaller. It appears like a swath of real carpet was put in a model building.

The cup/water tank is fine but everything else just appears a little too oversized which makes it appear model like again.

Also need to up the photon count or whatever so the walls will be smoother.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the tips, and I tried to implement the things you said into my project.

Here's a quick render I did to see what people thought before I did a final, high rez render.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Something is still quite off about the scale in it. Try setting the camera at eye level and see if it helps, because right now it's hard to get any sense of height on the bench and the low angle just distorts the view a lot.

In other news, this is the best thread on CGTalk right now.

Click here for the full 767x800 image.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell

SynthOrange posted:

Something is still quite off about the scale in it. Try setting the camera at eye level and see if it helps, because right now it's hard to get any sense of height on the bench and the low angle just distorts the view a lot.

Here's a boring ol' perspective view of it. If there's something wrong with the scale, it's from the camera lense I set up to get the view I wanted, since the scale looks fine in this shot. I'll fiddle with it some more so that the scale looks less weird.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer
i think the scale of the props are wrong too. that seat is way way low, its almost inline with the bottom skirting. i imagine a person sitting on it and having thier knees around thier ears.

the table could stand to come up about waist high and the actual bottle in the water cooler could be about x1.5 the size

have you grabbed a human model and put it in the scene to judge everything?

i think narrowing and lengthening the hallway could help it alot too, that way if you do muck around with some cool angles it will look more interesting.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Whenever I work on a scene i'll throw in a couple of biped models (one sat down, one with his arm out too) and make them all none renderable and on a diffferent layer. Leave them when boxing out/setting dimensions and only turn them off for detail work after you've got the proportions set - it makes an absolutley massive difference to how fast/easy it makes blocking things out, far more than I expected it to.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!
Hello everyone, I'm starting to model a head and i'm having trouble with a couple of 3 sides polys that I need to make a quad.

Click here for the full 563x755 image.

Those are the only two tris, I'm trying to keep it quad and I'm now stuck, I just can't see a way out. It's probably really simple :(

Edit: Figured it out 3 minutes later >:(!!!!

Click here for the full 478x624 image.

Is this the best way?

Edit 2: OK, I was on a roll and decided to add a bit more detail and hosed up and I can't remember how to get back to how it was, can anyone suggest a good topology for this polys?

Click here for the full 583x727 image.

Edit 3:

Ok I went back to it after 5 minutes and managed to fix it, how does the topology look, please crit stuff so I can fix it tomorrow, that'll be it for today. This is my first head btw. Working from photo reference.

Click here for the full 798x770 image.

Rekka fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 28, 2009