Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The best thing about Pure Holocaust is that they stuck the Imperial March melody right into the chorus of the title track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Morbid Florist posted:

At the Heart of Winter rules but their best album is Pure Holocaust. It's one of the best black albums ever made. :colbert:

Get all their albums except for blizzard beasts. They all have good tracks except for BB.

Ummm Mountains of Might???

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Any Old Irony posted:

Ummm Mountains of Might???

I WANTED to like the album. It's just not right to only have one album you don't like, but blizzard beasts I just can't dig. None of it hits the ground for me, production, writing, meh. Like someone else said it has all the marks of a phenomenal album but I just don't get it.

666sinders666
Nov 26, 2007
This Norwegian guy I bumped into mentioned something about a big black metal music festival in Norway that I should go to. Looking it up on the net there are lotsa them - Inferno, Hole in the Sky, Hammerslag etc. Has anyone here been to one of these festivals and, if so, which one is the best to go to?

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 23, 2020

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

pugna posted:

Inferno's the big one. But it'd be ridiculously expensive compared to any non-Scandanavian festival.

Has anyone in here, from the states, gone to one of these somewhat recently? What kind of money are we talking about to pull this off?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Morbid Florist posted:

Has anyone in here, from the states, gone to one of these somewhat recently? What kind of money are we talking about to pull this off?

Not from the states, rather a native Norwegian here, but it seems it would break down more or less like this:

Airfare: Lowest I can find on a quick search claims to be 336 USD for a return trip (NY-Oslo or NY-Bergen).

Festival pass: The equivalent of roughly 150 USD for either Inferno or Hole in the Sky, depending on how the exchange rate breaks.

Accommodations: Depends on what standards you want; might begin around 30 USD per night for a shared room in a hostel.

Food, beer etc. obviously costs money as well.

Groke fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 12, 2009

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Groke posted:

Not from the states, rather a native Norwegian here, but it seems it would break down more or less like this:

Airfare: Lowest I can find on a quick search claims to be 336 USD for a return trip.

Festival pass: The equivalent of roughly 150 USD, depending on how the exchange rate breaks.

Accommodations: Depends on what standards you want; might begin around 30 USD per night for a shared room in a hostel.

Food, beer etc. obviously costs money as well.

Good info, thank you.

I guess I'll have to keep living that dream in my head. :(

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Morbid Florist posted:

Good info, thank you.

I guess I'll have to keep living that dream in my head. :(

1) Burn off some LLN .mp3s to CDR
2) Put it up on ebay claiming it's an original
3) Profit
4) Inferno

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I went to a Norwegian festival last summer and spent around $50 per day on beer alone. And I had booze of my own.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Kaiho posted:

I went to a Norwegian festival last summer and spent around $50 per day on beer alone. And I had booze of my own.

Yeah, beer is fairly expensive here, and it's a lot more expensive to buy in a bar or restaurant or concert venue than in a grocery store, easily costs twice as much or more. (Same with food; eating out is much more expensive than buying food and cooking at home. This has to do with high labour costs and so on; it is simply impossible to get anyone to work in the service industry here for the kind of wages low-end waitstaff and kitchen people get in the USA, for example.)

Therefore, everyone celebrates the tradition of the pre-game party, where you do most of your drinking at someone's home before going out (so you only have to do maintenance drinking at the inflated prices) as this is much more economical. Of course, it's even more economical to skip the "going out" phase and just sit and drink at home. Or by yourself out in the woods. Which is traditional for Norwegian metal bands.

666sinders666
Nov 26, 2007

Groke posted:

Yeah, beer is fairly expensive here, and it's a lot more expensive to buy in a bar or restaurant or concert venue than in a grocery store, easily costs twice as much or more. Therefore, everyone celebrates the tradition of the pre-game party, where you do most of your drinking at someone's home before going out (so you only have to do maintenance drinking at the inflated prices) as this is much more economical. Of course, it's even more economical to skip the "going out" phase and just sit and drink at home. Or by yourself out in the woods. Which is traditional for Norwegian metal bands.

Thats one of my main concerns of going to a festival in Norway - alcohol costs :( I'm aiming for Wacken in 2010 and then want to head north immediately to Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Norway. I'm coming down from the North to Bergen and Oslo. Can you recommend some good metal venues in Bergen and Oslo? Otherwise I'll end up sitting in the woods with the cheapest beer I can find hoping that I don't bump into Gaahl.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
I've been listening to the two Gris releases pretty much nonstop, with only occasional breaks for M83.

Of all the so-called "depressive" black metal, this is probably the best I've heard. Does anyone have an recommendations for obscure mid-tempo bm (other than Burzum) with this texture, atmosphere, and generally dour (though often pretty) atmosphere? This stuff is a great compliment to drinking Belgian-style Quebecois ales and mulling over regrets.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

BranceMulliganPI posted:

I've been listening to the two Gris releases pretty much nonstop, with only occasional breaks for M83.

Of all the so-called "depressive" black metal, this is probably the best I've heard. Does anyone have an recommendations for obscure mid-tempo bm (other than Burzum) with this texture, atmosphere, and generally dour (though often pretty) atmosphere? This stuff is a great compliment to drinking Belgian-style Quebecois ales and mulling over regrets.

Forgive me if this is a little too far from the mark, but you might like Dark Fount. Burzum-ish stuff from China. I've only heard the full-length, not sure if the demo's any good.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

666sinders666 posted:

Can you recommend some good metal venues in Bergen and Oslo?

Bergen is a strange and exotic place of which I know little.

As for Oslo, the pickings are relatively thin these days; the nightlife business is a vicious one with very thin margins and the expected lifetime of any kind of watering hole (never mind one geared towards people of a specific musical taste) isn't particularily long. Used to be a fairly decent place called Club Maiden but it's dead. A couple of new places called Unholy and Hellawaits have shown up or are going to show up, but I know little of them as I'm not currently in the target audience (spending the vast majority of my evenings and nights at home with a 6-month-old kid now instead of going out; I'm going to do my best to raise a little metalhead though).

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

BranceMulliganPI posted:

Check out Trist. Czech BM as depressive as it gets.

quantumdots
Apr 26, 2004

Person from the States who went to Inferno (2006) checking in (yay, Emperor!!).

drat, was the beer expensive. It seems unreal spending what looks like Monopoly money for a pint and then realizing, hey, that was $10! The hotel was pretty spendy too, I think about $150/night for a double. At least it was the same hotel as all the bands used as well, so I bumped into a lot of interesting people.

For the Oslo goon, there was a club we went to with a real generic name, like Rock Club, I think. Is that still around? It was like finding heaven on earth for me: pool tables, cheap beer (only $5 a pint) and black metal blasting on the PA. We saw Vreid play there and went to a Gorgoroth record release party there as well (King and Gaahl were there, Infernus was in jail at the time).

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

quantumdots posted:

For the Oslo goon, there was a club we went to with a real generic name, like Rock Club, I think. Is that still around? It was like finding heaven on earth for me: pool tables, cheap beer (only $5 a pint) and black metal blasting on the PA. We saw Vreid play there and went to a Gorgoroth record release party there as well (King and Gaahl were there, Infernus was in jail at the time).

I'm guessing you went to Rock In; yeah, I believe that's still around. As far as Bergen establishments go, I've heard The Garage and Hulen are alright; I haven't been there, though. So I guess take that with a grain of salt.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

quantumdots posted:

I just got back from seeing Vreid (and Iskald and Kampfar). They were much better than I'd expected.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Razor posted:

I'm guessing you went to Rock In; yeah, I believe that's still around. As far as Bergen establishments go, I've heard The Garage and Hulen are alright; I haven't been there, though. So I guess take that with a grain of salt.

Yeah, that's got to be Rock In. Which isn't really an all-metal place; but obviously they dial up the metal during Inferno.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've been rediscovering Megiddo lately. One of the very best black metal bands to come out of North America.

Youtube has a couple of tracks if you're not familiar with them.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

I've been rediscovering Megiddo lately. One of the very best black metal bands to come out of North America.

I wish the vocals were less intelligible but I kinda dig this

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Those sound like regular power chords, which makes it all have a really rock 'n roll feel. Low-fi rock'n roll black metal. A less-depressive Bathory and not quite as silly Venom. Pretty nifty.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 17, 2009

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

MrBling posted:

Hell yeah. One of the only really great first wave worship bands around today.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kaiho posted:

Those sound like regular power chords
A lot of minor sixths mostly but yeah it's basically the same chord moved around

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 18, 2009

666sinders666
Nov 26, 2007

quantumdots posted:

Person from the States who went to Inferno (2006) checking in (yay, Emperor!!).
etc....

Thanks for the info! It's really good to get advice from a person who has actually gone vs promo info on the internet. Inferno sounds pretty good! It sucks about alcohol being so expensive though.

bjobjoli
Feb 21, 2006
Wrasslin'
Does anyone have any recommendations for bands with a similar sound to Carpathian Forest's early releases, like pre- Black Shining Leather?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Nguyen Leet posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for bands with a similar sound to Carpathian Forest's early releases, like pre- Black Shining Leather?

On a related note, who the hell still buys and listens to Carpathian Forest? They turned into complete tripe after BSL and have just been going through the motions for almost a decade now. I've heard a couple of tracks from Nattefrost's solo effort and wasn't particularly surprised to discover that it sounds like leftovers from Carpathian Forest's recent albums.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
I may have a bias because CF are one of my oldest and favorite BM bands, but I'm enjoying the way the bands sound is changing over the years. The newer material isn't as "true" as the older stuff but it still has its own merits.

Try out Funeral Mist's "Darkness" demo, same type of music/production.

Cold Day fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 18, 2009

Caucasus Belli
Jun 6, 2007

by T. Finn

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I just got back from seeing Vreid (and Iskald and Kampfar). They were much better than I'd expected.

Yeah, I wasn't that impressed with I Krig - it was good, but not really remarkable - but Milorg is nothing short of stunning, and their set on Monday was so much better than when I saw them opening for Marduk. I'd put it up there with the best live sets I've ever seen, to be honest.

I think it's the touch of classic rock in Milorg that really makes it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Huh, this thread's been dead lately.

Anybody else enjoying Hakuja - Legacy? The basswork on it is something special for a black metal record. Plus it's from Japan, which you don't see enough; seems like the vast majority of good metal from Japan is grindcore or death metal.

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000

pugna posted:

Temnozor and Kroda pictures: http://abortedfoetus.com/kroda_temnozor/

Very cool pictures, it's so rare to see these eastern bloc bands at all. Thanks for posting them.

BosendorferIstKrieg
Apr 1, 2008

holy/violence

BranceMulliganPI posted:

ColdWorld. The album is "Melancholie²".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress I hate being stuck in Canada. I was just super happy in the regular metal thread with some the acts visiting us but than I read about all these incredible bands around Europe, the poo poo I listen to and im stuck. :(

Lucky fucks.

Also Megiddo is loving awesome, poo poo.

EDIT: And than I learn Megiddo is Canadian, haha.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 27, 2009

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

BranceMulliganPI posted:

Does anyone have an recommendations for obscure mid-tempo bm (other than Burzum) with this texture, atmosphere, and generally dour (though often pretty) atmosphere?

If you want something that sounds a lot like Burzum (the good parts version) without being Burzum, you might like Wigrid.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Groke posted:

If you want something that sounds a lot like Burzum (the good parts version) without being Burzum, you might like Wigrid.

Also PYHA (who I've probably mentioned in this thread at least once), whose album from last year was prob. my most listened black metal record in years. Made by a south korean high schooler no less. It's seriously awesome. Released by tUMULt.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

BosendorferIstKrieg posted:

ColdWorld. The album is "Melancholie²".

Yes, great album. And Lifelover too (I have the album Konkurs and it's really good).

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Groke posted:

Thanks for the tip! I like this

edit: I do miss varg's lust for extremely lovely guitar production though. I never thought those fuzz guitars would grow on me but this one man band poo poo just doesn't sound the same without them.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 27, 2009

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I've got a few extra dollars in the pocket, and was thinking of itunesing a couple Satyricon albums. I currently have none, so how about a couple good recommendations?

Through the power of friends, Pandora, and youtube, I've liked everything I've heard, but tend to gravitate towards the early stuff.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dark Medieval Times.

That is all.