Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Forgot to put this in my last post,

Hornas Sanojesi Äärelle is so loving good. I've been aware of these guys for a while but got really into them in past few months. Now they're easily my favourite finnish bm band, if not my favourite bm band period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I got to hear Samael's new album. It's a DEPARTURE from where they've been recently that's for drat sure. The production is bright but it's not bad at all. REALLY hard to tell I'm listening to samael.

I was hoping for a bit more of a return to the old sound like they promised, but it beats the balls off Solar Soul.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't forget The Shadowthrone!

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Dark Medieval Times.

That is all.

Seconded. Boosh.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Openknees posted:

Seconded. Boosh.

Good deal. Picked that up and Darkthrone's Transylvanian Hunger. Thanks guys, more to come at my next paycheck.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Thanks for the tip! I like this

edit: I do miss varg's lust for extremely lovely guitar production though. I never thought those fuzz guitars would grow on me but this one man band poo poo just doesn't sound the same without them.

I don't consider Burzum's production to be lovely. Low-fi, yes, but the guitar tone is crystal clear in its own peculiar way, every note shines through the mix. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

catbread.jpg posted:

I don't consider Burzum's production to be lovely. Low-fi, yes, but the guitar tone is crystal clear in its own peculiar way, every note shines through the mix. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

I didn't until my girlfriend got in the car and was loudly asking why I was listening to static. Since then that's the word that comes to mind when I think of burzum's guitar tone. I love it but it is what it is.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I got to hear Samael's new album. It's a DEPARTURE from where they've been recently that's for drat sure. The production is bright but it's not bad at all. REALLY hard to tell I'm listening to samael.

I was hoping for a bit more of a return to the old sound like they promised, but it beats the balls off Solar Soul.

Departure is a bit of an understatement. I've been listening to Blut Aus Nord lately mostly because of this thread and Samael of all people have put me into a more aggressive rut.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Dark Medieval Times.

That is all.

Everyone will tell you this (and it is the best one) but don't let yourself miss Nemesis Divina either. Shadowthrone's alright but not very impressive, you can probably skip it. The rest isn't black metal (but after so much time has gone by I can finally appreciate Rebel Extravaganza).

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

NicktheBishop posted:

Everyone will tell you this (and it is the best one) but don't let yourself miss Nemesis Divina either.

Yeah, I agree; Nemesis Divina is the last Satyricon album worth checking out--the rest is all poo poo. Mother North is such a good song.

Morbid Florist posted:

I didn't until my girlfriend got in the car and was loudly asking why I was listening to static. Since then that's the word that comes to mind when I think of burzum's guitar tone. I love it but it is what it is.

You should play some Paysage d'Hiver for her.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
All this significant other talk has got me thinking, how do I get my wife into black metal?

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man

Openknees posted:

All this significant other talk has got me thinking, how do I get my wife into black metal?

If she doesn't like metal at all, then start out with some more well-produced Black Metal.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Openknees posted:

It depends a lot on what music she currently likes.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Openknees posted:

Knock her out, tie her up, and put her in a dark room. Tape a pair of headphones to her head, and put Massive Conspiracy Against All Life on repeat. Check every few days, when she starts headbanging, she can be released.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the more avant-garde stuff, after first progressing through milder metal subgenres. Arcturus would be good, before getting a bit darker with Blut Aus Nord.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

het posted:

It depends a lot on what music she currently likes.

The heaviest she admits to going is stuff like Deftones or Slipknot... I've tried some In Flames as sort of a gateway but I only got a mild response. She normally listens to Hip-Hop, Reggeton, and old school Punk.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Openknees posted:

The heaviest she admits to going is stuff like Deftones or Slipknot... I've tried some In Flames as sort of a gateway but I only got a mild response. She normally listens to Hip-Hop, Reggeton, and old school Punk.

There aren't many reggaeton/black metal crossover bands. Still waiting for that Absu & Daddy Yankee collab to drop.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
Lately I have been getting into a lot of DSBM--so far I'm especially digging Hypothermia and Anti (Ger), as well as obvious standbys like Xasthur and Leviathan's early work. Any other must-listen bands?

Razor
May 9, 2004

Aschlafly posted:

Lately I have been getting into a lot of DSBM--so far I'm especially digging Hypothermia and Anti (Ger), as well as obvious standbys like Xasthur and Leviathan's early work. Any other must-listen bands?

Shining is, as far as I'm concerned, the stand-out DSBM band. Then there's Silencer, whose main creative force is insane (and released one album before being institutionalized for a while).

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 23, 2020

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000
pugna's recommendations are solid as usual. Also check out Nyktalgia, Krohm, Lurker of Chalice and maybe Pagan Hammer.

Clothes Optional
Oct 3, 2004
Thy Light and When Mine Eyes Blacken

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.
Gris, Trist, and ColdWorld are top-notch depressive/suicidal black metal, and I will echo the other suggestions. But seriously, Gris's 2007 album Il était une forêt... is one of my favorite depressive black metal albums.

Of all the bands, Nyktalgia definitely has the best vocals, though.

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 4, 2009

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Optimum Gulps posted:

Haven't heard any, but that is high praise, considering Gris has some incredible wailing.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Optimum Gulps posted:

I just found these guys by way of Wigrid's page. Good stuff.

Das Funnee
Oct 4, 2000
Glad you guys approve of Nyktalgia. Insane vocals. I don't listen to that much depressive stuff but those I listed are some of the more interesting ones I've come across.

It should be noted that Pagan Hammer is more in the territory of atmospheric black with nationalistic themes, but they do have a good bit in common with the big depressive bands from the US and tend to get lumped in with them. The end result of their last EP "Ode to My Fathers" sounds a bit like a doomy version of bands like Drudkh and Walknut, to me. Kind of interesting to hear a well done american take on that, so I'd recommend it to those who like that sort of thing.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Das Funnee posted:

Glad you guys approve of Nyktalgia. Insane vocals. I don't listen to that much depressive stuff but those I listed are some of the more interesting ones I've come across.

Actually it's the production and guitar work I like, the vocals are meh. They do a good job keeping the old sound alive. Reminds me a lot of burzum's non-fisher price keyboard stuff. ;)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

In all hipstery seriousness, what do you non-WITTR haters think of the new album? I have not heard it yet.

Razor
May 9, 2004

I've only listened through it once and I don't normally rate albums until I've heard them a couple times, but my first impression of the new WITTR is that it isn't very good.

lady glastheim
Apr 4, 2007

You enjoy the rewards, I'll enjoy... the punishment.

Openknees posted:

Get her to chat you up about all the music she likes, and then act slightly disapproving and just the slightest bit condescending (this is important)but be subtle about it, and then constantly talk about how much you're enjoying (insert black metal album name here). If you do it just right, she will become fascinated and start listening to all your black metal out of her own insecurity and lack of self-identity and then her music preferences will be malleable like dough in your hands.

Also show her this picture.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
That sounds too similar to the whole "Slam door to get her to be subliminally afraid you'll leave and never come back" thing.

I think the kitty thing would work with my gf, but she's already heard my music and would prefer to listen to John Mayer and "bro" music.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

lady glastheim posted:

That rivals anything people have done to Abbath

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 23, 2020

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

My girlfriend has been humming along to Drudkh. I'm not expecting her to ask for a copy of an Emperor album but it's better than nothing.

I just had a big "why didn't you listen to this before" moment. I got Gehenna's Malice album. I remember seeing these guys advertised in Metal Maniacs back when the norwegians were still burning poo poo down but never listened to them. Seriously underrated IMO. The First Spell EP too. drat good poo poo from the old days.

666sinders666
Nov 26, 2007
Try her on the melodic black metal first - Dimmu Borgir and Emperor etc. I was all into heavy metal and them a new boyfriend burnt 20 CDs for me with stuff like this and I have loved it ever since.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
"How do you even know what they're saying" is the standard response I've got from my female friends.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Gvaz posted:

"How do you even know what they're saying" is the standard response I've got from my female friends.

I usually just mouth the lyrics along to it, to prove that they are actually saying something.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Why can't I find a nice boy who likes black metal as much as I do :(

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Why can't I find a nice boy who likes black metal as much as I do :(

Someone posted a fine specimen in the metal thread a few days ago you should look him up. I think he's even in a black metal band. :swoon:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

Someone posted a fine specimen in the metal thread a few days ago you should look him up. I think he's even in a black metal band. :swoon:

I think Satyr is married.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I think the whole idea is pretty stupid to be honest but I bet a good way to ease someone into black metal is to start with some shoegazy stuff