Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Ooooh Compressor talk!!

Here is my deal. I'm painting my 67 caddy. Lsst fall I did the epoxy primer and I think I've burned out my 26 gallon 120 Volt Husky Compressor. It's 1.7~ HP 3.8 CFM at 90 PSI. My HVLP gun is rated at 8.1 CFM at 40 PSI. The Compressor decided that it would die for a couple hours after about 20 minutes of painting.

So now I am thinking about this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...03+90260+527575

quote:

This compressor offers a solid cast iron, twin cylinder compressor pump for extreme durability. It also offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 11.5/10.2 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI. It has a space saving vertical design that is perfect for your home, garage, or work shop.

* Up to 5,000 hours of extended life
* Over 35 percent quieter and 60 degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves
* A CAST IRON oil-lubricated pump with traditional design that is quieter and longer lasting
* 60 Gallon vertical, space saving tank design
* Powerful, 3.2 running horsepower motor provides significant air to multiple power tools
* Automotive style changeable air filter
* Protective belt guard
* High quality oversized gauges
* 1070 Pump RPM
* Three-year limited warranty
* Compressor uses : Inflation Brad nailers staplers spray guns Finish nailers Framing Nailers Roofing Nailers Drills Impacts Ratchets Screwdrives
* MFG Brand Name : Husky
* MFG Model # : VT6314
* MFG Part # : VT6314

Thoughts? Seems like a good price to me. I keep checking Craig's list and the good deals go to fast. Also, I have a $250 dollar gift card to Home Depot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

daslog posted:

Ooooh Compressor talk!!

Here is my deal. I'm painting my 67 caddy. Lsst fall I did the epoxy primer and I think I've burned out my 26 gallon 120 Volt Husky Compressor. It's 1.7~ HP 3.8 CFM at 90 PSI. My HVLP gun is rated at 8.1 CFM at 40 PSI. The Compressor decided that it would die for a couple hours after about 20 minutes of painting.

So now I am thinking about this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...03+90260+527575

Thoughts? Seems like a good price to me. I keep checking Craig's list and the good deals go to fast. Also, I have a $250 dollar gift card to Home Depot.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have a lot of confidence in house-brand shop equipment from places like Home Depot or Lowe's. For cheap hand tools I'm sure they're fine, but for something like an upright compressor I'd rather have an I-R or Speedaire.

You can get a very nice I-R compressor for roundabout $700 that will probably outlive your children. I'd be surprised if that Husky outlived your cat.

vvv CH makes most of the common-brand air products in the US, so that's neither here nor there. Honestly if you want an inexpensive compressor, I wouldn't spring for the big upright. I'd get a smaller horizontal compressor, one that will fulfill your current needs and not go much over that gift certificate. That way you can put back some scratch toward a nice upright that'll last forever.

fatman1683 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 24, 2009

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I hear you, but that's way outside my budget. This one is a "Campbell Hausfeld VT6275 15 Amp 6.5 Horsepower 60 Gallon Oiled Vertical Compressor" made for Husky.

Does that make a difference?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've been looking off and on on craigslist for a compressor, I'm wanting the most powerful 30ish gallon 120v one I can find.

I saw one last week called a campbell hausfeld cast iron series, something like 5hp 80 gallon and they only wanted $200 for it (it was a lady selling it).

I didn't have the money and I really wanted something smaller and 120v so I can take it places but now that I see some of these prices I'm really wishing I pawned something or did a credit card cash advance to get it. listing is gone of course.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Wagonburner posted:

I've been looking off and on on craigslist for a compressor, I'm wanting the most powerful 30ish gallon 120v one I can find.

I saw one last week called a campbell hausfeld cast iron series, something like 5hp 80 gallon and they only wanted $200 for it (it was a lady selling it).

I didn't have the money and I really wanted something smaller and 120v so I can take it places but now that I see some of these prices I'm really wishing I pawned something or did a credit card cash advance to get it. listing is gone of course.

Set up an RSS feed for anything you want on craigslist.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

sharkytm posted:

Thats one of the best nailgun compressors out there for sure. I don't know how it'll handle automotive duties though. Small tanks make it very portable, but not a lot of "staying power". TC, tell us exactly what you'll be doing, and we can come up with a better option.

Mostly garage work. I pulled the motor with the old tank, running impacts, air ratchets here and there. Air hammers/chisels. I'd like to strip the bed of the truck and repaint it. I'd like to cut out my rockers to weld new-ones in. Things like that. Occasionally I'd take it out with me to do other work like sandblasting or chiseling concrete. I'll probably be using it to chisel the concrete off the posts of my old fence when I dig it out this summer.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

fatman1683 posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have a lot of confidence in house-brand shop equipment from places like Home Depot or Lowe's. For cheap hand tools I'm sure they're fine, but for something like an upright compressor I'd rather have an I-R or Speedaire.

You can get a very nice I-R compressor for roundabout $700 that will probably outlive your children. I'd be surprised if that Husky outlived your cat.

vvv CH makes most of the common-brand air products in the US, so that's neither here nor there. Honestly if you want an inexpensive compressor, I wouldn't spring for the big upright. I'd get a smaller horizontal compressor, one that will fulfill your current needs and not go much over that gift certificate. That way you can put back some scratch toward a nice upright that'll last forever.
IRs are very nice, but they are very expensive. A comparable 80gallon, 5hp model from IR (compared to my CH) was $1300. Check http://www.tractorsupply.com/ sku# 3496129. There's a 60 gallon, sku# 3496111 for $599. Its similar to that Husky, which I can't find on home depot's site, so I can't see the price. If its close, I'd get the IR from TSC.

Wagonburner posted:

If you are in the Northeast, I've got a 26G craftsman I'll sell for cheap. Need the space for my new 80G.

RealKyleH posted:

Set up an RSS feed for anything you want on craigslist.
And use CraigsHepler.

trouser chili posted:

Mostly garage work. I pulled the motor with the old tank, running impacts, air ratchets here and there. Air hammers/chisels. I'd like to strip the bed of the truck and repaint it. I'd like to cut out my rockers to weld new-ones in. Things like that. Occasionally I'd take it out with me to do other work like sandblasting or chiseling concrete. I'll probably be using it to chisel the concrete off the posts of my old fence when I dig it out this summer.
Honestly man, I'd get a 240v two-stage. It'll be quieter, and last forever. You can make a 240v extension cord if you want to move it, or just get a long air hose. If you don't need to move it around from place to place, a stationary is the way to go.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/1039670226.html

Thoughts? It's been on craigslist for a week which makes me think it's overpriced.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

daslog posted:

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/1039670226.html

Thoughts? It's been on craigslist for a week which makes me think it's overpriced.

That's Speedaire's bottom-of-the-range stationary compressor. Been discontinued for a few years and would've sold for around $800 new. Not a bad price, but as always, fight for every penny.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
so $300?

daslog fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 25, 2009

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

daslog posted:

so $300?

I'd go in with $300 cash in my hand and another $50 in my pocket. Worst-case you split the difference.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
what makes it better than the Campbell Hausfeld compressors?

Sep 23, 2008

by Ozma

trouser chili posted:

Yeah..the problem with making the biggest 120v you can find portable is that you won't likely have an extension cord big enough to deal with it. The highest poer 120v are likely going to need a 20A circuit anyway, so to get that to be "yard portable" as opposed to bringing to somewhere else with an outlet close is that you'll need a $150 extension cord for any kind of distance.

Besides, why would you use a small air compressor to chisel concrete? It would be quite miserable. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and rent a hammer drill that only draws 5 or 10 amps and you can use a regular old outdoor extension cord for it.

Also, you WON'T be sandblasting with any 120v compressor. Unless you are sandblasting with a detail gun.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

daslog posted:

The same thing that makes Snap-On better than Kobalt. Fundamentally the same, but one is made to a higher standard of quality and performance, and will consistently outperform and outlast the cheaper alternative.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

944 posted:

Also, you WON'T be sandblasting with any 120v compressor. Unless you are sandblasting with a detail gun.

This is entirely untrue. My 33 Gallon 150psi compressor would let me blast for about 5 minutes with my crappy siphon sandblaster before it started getting hot and moist. I'd let it cool for about 10, then get another 5 mins of blasting. It was enough for me to do furniture, and small projects. 5 Mins of blasting is a long time for something small. Now, I'd agree that if you wanted to run a big sandblaster for large projects, you don't want a recreational 120v compressor.

daslog posted:

Better grade pumps with better valves and seals so they pump more air/revolution, and possibly a little better electric motors that are wound better and have better armatures, so they lose less power as heat.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008
For simple garage weekend warrior work, there's nothing wrong with a $200 Harbor Freight special. I got my compressor, impact, and tools which were enough to do the basic stuff like turbo swaps, wheel changes, and suspension work. However, the poor 5cfm compressor can barely keep up with the impact gun and I find myself taking a break as the compressor catches up to pressurize the tank again. Also, truth on the 110v compressors. I've popped that drat circuit breaker in the garage so many times when I had the compressor and a large shop light on at the same time. The noise is pretty horrid too. To make such a small compressor flow that much, they had to make it sound like a buzzsaw. Larger 220v compressors run much much slower, and make far less noise.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

atomicfire posted:

Also, truth on the 110v compressors. I've popped that drat circuit breaker in the garage so many times when I had the compressor and a large shop light on at the same time.

If you have an unused 220v outlet you can make or buy an adapter to plug 120 stuff in. That's what I'm going to do if I end up with a 120 compressor

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
MSC Industrial Supply has a decent sale today,

Enter code WEB30

30% off $99 bucks or more, they have some good tools. This is off regular price unfortunately, I am getting a tire pressure gauge and some other crap. They had free shipping yesterday, don't know if it still applies or not.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Wagonburner posted:

If you have an unused 220v outlet you can make or buy an adapter to plug 120 stuff in. That's what I'm going to do if I end up with a 120 compressor

If the breaker is the same size as your 120v outlet, you are still going to pop it. The best option is to install a bigger breaker. Hell, wire it with 10-3 wg and stick a 30A breaker on it. Then you can run a compressor and whatever you want on it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

sharkytm posted:

If the breaker is the same size as your 120v outlet, you are still going to pop it. The best option is to install a bigger breaker. Hell, wire it with 10-3 wg and stick a 30A breaker on it. Then you can run a compressor and whatever you want on it.

Make sure you actually wire it with the correct size wire, as opposed to just putting in a 30amp breaker.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

trouser chili posted:

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I just bought one. It's pretty nice, but much more air-hungry compared to missing Snap-On unit. It's really showing how wimpy my 8 gallon Harbor Freight compressor is. gently caress lending tools out, man. Never again.

On the upside, I also swung by Sears and picked up a set of these bad boys in SAE.

I highly recommend them!

Looks like just the thing for the boat. I'll need both SAE and metric though - 6V71 main is old school and the genset and skiff outboard are metric.

Dammit! More shinies for the list!

I was going to contribute, but a link to a Japanese Azebiki saw probably isn't appropriate in AI. How about an infrared thermometer? I'm getting a lot more use out of it than I expected, especially checking trailer hubs on the road.

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irk.html

I've seen cheaper, but I needed the probe for the application I bought it for.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

I love this thing. Never overcharges your battery. You can attach it right to your battery cables and unplug when you don't need it. Then you just unplug it, put the cap on the end, and go.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008
Here's some more juicy morsels I dug up on compressors.

Larger more "expensive" compressors are also two stage. They also have a larger, more powerful motor. They might even have a magnetic starter on them. If you're really splurging, they'll even have their very own intercooler. What does this mean?

Two stage compressors compress the air in two stages. Whats that do? It makes the contraption quieter, since you can spin the compressor at a slower speed to get the same airflow and pressure out of them. It also means you can get higher pressures without overloading your motor. Larger motors allow you pressurize the tank faster and can potentially pump the tank to a higher pressure. Different starters like capacitive and magnetic starters prevent the problem I have - massive current draw during motor startup. Usually, the current draw on my 110v compressor is so large that the power line can't handle the load, the voltage dips, the motor binds, my lights dim, then after a second or so the breaker pops. This is bad, mkay? Different starters give the motor a square kick in the rear end without overloading the power source to quickly and quietly start the motor. Intercoolers dry and cool the air before they're pumped into the tank. This gives you drier air, with less moisture which will keep your tools happy, your tank dry, and other loving happy poo poo I don't feel like typing.

Oh, expensive compressors also might have larger manifolds too, which will translate to less pressure drop when you are operating your tools. If you use it as a shop air source, you can power more at once with the compressor if you have a larger manifold. Think of it as the exhaust system on a turbo car. You want to free it up.

My lovely 1/4 inch manifold will make the pressure drop to an indicated 40PSI even though the regulator is set for 90PSI.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

atomicfire posted:

(lots of info)

Thanks, that was informative. After I read "intercooler" I had been wondering wtf a compressor needs an intercooler for, but you got that part covered.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

atomicfire posted:

My lovely 1/4 inch manifold will make the pressure drop to an indicated 40PSI even though the regulator is set for 90PSI.

Get this and T it into your air line. It's only 125psi, but it runs at regulator pressure and most tools don't use more than that. It will give you a lot more air before the psi starts to drop, which can make a huge difference for burst use like an impact gun. Use a quick disconnect and shutoff valve and you've got a portable air tank for filling tires.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

atomicfire posted:

Here's some more juicy morsels I dug up on compressors.

Larger more "expensive" compressors are also two stage. They also have a larger, more powerful motor. They might even have a magnetic starter on them. If you're really splurging, they'll even have their very own intercooler. What does this mean?

Two stage compressors compress the air in two stages. Whats that do? It makes the contraption quieter, since you can spin the compressor at a slower speed to get the same airflow and pressure out of them. It also means you can get higher pressures without overloading your motor. Larger motors allow you pressurize the tank faster and can potentially pump the tank to a higher pressure. Different starters like capacitive and magnetic starters prevent the problem I have - massive current draw during motor startup. Usually, the current draw on my 110v compressor is so large that the power line can't handle the load, the voltage dips, the motor binds, my lights dim, then after a second or so the breaker pops. This is bad, mkay? Different starters give the motor a square kick in the rear end without overloading the power source to quickly and quietly start the motor. Intercoolers dry and cool the air before they're pumped into the tank. This gives you drier air, with less moisture which will keep your tools happy, your tank dry, and other loving happy poo poo I don't feel like typing.

Oh, expensive compressors also might have larger manifolds too, which will translate to less pressure drop when you are operating your tools. If you use it as a shop air source, you can power more at once with the compressor if you have a larger manifold. Think of it as the exhaust system on a turbo car. You want to free it up.

Good info. My CH output is 1/2" NPT. Plenty of air...

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Today I bought HFs 1/4" Air Angle Die Grinder for like $8 with a coupon (its on sale for $10 in store anyway) and combined it with their 2" Surface Conditioning Kit which I got a while ago for $3. This was an incredible deal which I am very happy with. I put a red scotch brite disc on it and man it just flew through some surface rust and two layers of breaking up paint on my lathe like nothing. Excellently spent $11. In that kit the little adapter that goes in the grinder makes it very very fast and easy to change out to different grit wheels or when yours get loaded up to replace them.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Any suggestions on a good tool chest for around 300 dollars? Everything near me on Craigslist is either a Kmart POS or a Snap-On monstrosity for 4 grand.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 2, 2009

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
What size are you looking for? $300 is pretty low for a good tool box. Either HF or keep trolling craigslist for an older craftsman.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
My craftsman tool box has not held up any better and maybe worse than a HF unit would.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

RealKyleH posted:

My craftsman tool box has not held up any better and maybe worse than a HF unit would.

The new ones are basically better painted harbor freight. The old ones, pre-'90s, were built much better.

honkykong
Sep 20, 2005

Kynetx posted:

Any suggestions on a good tool chest for around 300 dollars? Everything near me on Craigslist is either a Kmart POS or a Snap-On monstrosity for 4 grand.

I just bought a craftsman box today on sale. 6 drawer bottom and 10 drawer top. If your part of the "Craftsman Club" you buy the bottom and get the top free. Came out to like $355 after tax, deal is good till Sunday.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_009H0135000B?vName=Tools&cName=Garage+%26+Tool+Storage

Apparently I'm not a member, so the salesman told me that the store is a club member (IE: the store's phone number).

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
For a recommendation of a better than HF/Craftsman, I got a Husky on craigslist and am quite happy with it, especially for the price I paid.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

honkykong posted:

I just bought a craftsman box today on sale. 6 drawer bottom and 10 drawer top. If your part of the "Craftsman Club" you buy the bottom and get the top free. Came out to like $355 after tax, deal is good till Sunday.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_009H0135000B?vName=Tools&cName=Garage+%26+Tool+Storage

Apparently I'm not a member, so the salesman told me that the store is a club member (IE: the store's phone number).

I'll have to see it in person, but this looks exactly like the HF one that sells for $299.99.
Thanks for the advice, I may put a wanted ad in CL.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

was taking a look at this, but then again, for about 20 dollars more, I can get this and this which is exactly the same dimensions, but powder coated and with ball-bearing slides.

Any advice/opinions/suggestions?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I'd get the latter because if anything its much nicer looking. The Black us general is kinda clunky looking.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

They don't have the second one in red in the local stores here, just blue with a crying eagle. :patriot:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

oxbrain posted:

They don't have the second one in red in the local stores here, just blue with a crying eagle. :patriot:

gently caress, really? I'm gonna check out the Bellevue/Overlake store today and see if they have a sample and can ship it to Everett for me.

Actually, on second thought am AMERICA! gently caress YEAH! tool box with a giant Obama sticker would be kinda awesome. Now I'm crossing my fingers that another 20% off coupon shows up in the mail

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

So I checked the resource thread, and I couldn't find my answers, so I've come here asking for advice.

I've worked on cars all of my car owning life. The problem is, I've always worked on cars at my family home, or in a friend's garage. I don't have my own tools. I'm at a point now where I have a place to keep them, a garage to work on cars in, and sort of have the means to afford some tools. Great, I want to get baby's first toolest, but where to start? I have some questions I'd like to ask and if you feel like answering them or writing some "Idiots guide to spending lots of money on tools" I would appreciate it.

To the questions though,

I'm starting out with nothing. Zero. I have a pretty basic idea of what I'll need, at least initially, (1/4 3/8 sockets, wrenches, hand wrenches, car jack, jackstands, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, and go from there) anything else I'm forgetting?

I've used Craftsman tools all my life, but is there something else I should try? I'm not going to spend Snap-On kind of money here, I just need some basic tools, but I'd like to get a good deal. What is your favorite brands as far as hitting the quality/price sweet spot?

Retail/Ebay/Craigslist, where do I get em? I've got time to be patient and I can try to get them through other means, but if I try to get it online, is there any problem buying used? What should I watch for? Is there such a thing as counterfeit brand tools?

I'm sure there's more questions I'm not asking, but I just figured I'd ask you guys some stuff and see what advice I get back. As I said I've got time, I'm thinking about slowly aquiring all of this stuff as I find good deals and hopefully around early summer when I have my garage cleaned and prepared for the man cave it will be, I can have a decent starting tool set to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

Korwen posted:

anything else I'm forgetting?

A big loving hammer.