Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The verification/debunkification I was looking for was whether or not they are quality hubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slick
Jun 6, 2003
Either they work or they don't. As long as the USB hub is 2.0 and powered.

Question:

Vista 64
G.Skill SSD ~120gb (if this was a bad purchase oh well)

All kinds of Registry Optimizations for SSD drives (caching, hdd tweaks etc) all from the OCZ forum or other tech forums. Basically disabling all of windows spinning platter registry settings for better read/write performance. -A noticeable improvement

So If I want to add in a ~500gb 7200rpm sata drive, will that drive be dog slow now that I've disabled things in the registry for SSD performance?

C: SSD drive with Vista
X: being the additional drives as a single volume

Slick fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 23, 2009

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I just got a new broadband provider and they use ADSL whereas my previous service used cable.

They have provided me with a wireless router that has a RJ11 port where the ADSL connection plugs in, but the router is a piece of crap that is constantly being knocked out by everything around it. I have my own router (a much higher quality one) but it only has RJ45 ports. Would an RJ11/RJ45 converter work straight out of the box or would I need to do something else? The ADSL plugs directly into the current router whereas my old cable service had a modem along with it, so I'm unsure if it would work as smoothly as I'm imagining.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Lytinwheedle posted:

I am running a 32bit Vista system with 2gig of RAM.

I'd like to upgrade the memory, but I know that Vista32 doesn't really recognize 4gig. Should I attempt the impossible to find two 512mb sticks, to take my memory to 3gig, or go for it and dump a whole 4gig in, even if not all of it will get used/recognised?
It depends on how much ram your video card has. If you have some insane video card with 2GB of RAM then with Vista32 you can pop in as much RAM as you want and won't see an increase.

Under XP32 / Vista32 = Amount of RAM Windows Can See and Use = RAM on Motherboard - RAM on Video Card.

I have a Nvidea 8600gt with 1gb of RAM or something, and XP only sees 3GB of total RAM even though I have 2x 2GB sticks in.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

I have a 512mb video card and 4gb of memory, but Vista still sees the full 4gb.

Its Vista32 :confused:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Thirteenth Step posted:

I have a 512mb video card and 4gb of memory, but Vista still sees the full 4gb.

Its Vista32 :confused:
It doesn't really. When SP1 came out they made it so that Vista would report seeing all of the 4GB but it can't actually use it all. I think they did it because people who had 4gb and the 32bit version of vista kept bitching about their missing RAM.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

jeeves posted:

Under XP32 / Vista32 = Amount of RAM Windows Can See and Use = RAM on Motherboard - RAM on Video Card.

I have a Nvidea 8600gt with 1gb of RAM or something, and XP only sees 3GB of total RAM even though I have 2x 2GB sticks in.

I like that you just saw some numbers and made up an equation for them to fit in.

This is why you see what you see.
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Slick posted:

Either they work or they don't. As long as the USB hub is 2.0 and powered.

Yeah, that's completely not the case, unfortunately. I have bought two different powered USB hubs that are unable to run multiple high drain devices.

What I need is not a "USB hub, any old one will do" but I need (and am wondering whether there exists) a hub that will actually supply enough power to run high power devices on each of its open ports.

I have a pile of unpowered hubs that work fine for low power devices (keyboard, mouse, printer,). I bought the powered hubs in hopes of plugging in a number of high power devices (2 iPods charger cables, Cell phone charger cable , 2.5" bus-powered drives, cellular wireless bus-powered internet card), and not having them complain/cut out/not function due to being unpowered/underpowered.

I am playing rotate the devices all night long trying to use them, and I would rather just come home and plug in one USB wire to my laptop and have all the stuff be adequately powered.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Here's an interesting issue I ran across this weekend while building my new system.

My mobo (Gigabyte EP45-UD3L) came with two SATA cables; one with straight connectors at both ends and one with a right angle connector at one end labeled "HDD". With the way I installed everything else in the case, it made better sense to use the right angle cable with one of my optical drives. I originally had the my new Pionner DVR-216DBK connected with the right angle cable and my old Samsung SH-S203B connected with one of the straight cables. Both drives showed up fine in the BIOS, got assigned drive letters in Windows, etc. The Pioneer acted like it was spinning up to read a disc when you put one in, but it wouldn't ever boot from it/start an installer/show the data on the disc. My first thought was either a faulty drive or bad cable, so I swapped cables between the two drives figuring. I figured either the Pioneer would still not work (bad drive), or the Pioneer would work but the Samsung wouldn't (bad cable). Instead what happened was comedy option C: both drives work fine. For some reason the Pioneer just didn't like that right angle cable, but the Samsung doesn't have an issue with it.

Anyone know what the gently caress is going on here? It's all well and great that everything works fine, but all weekend I've been trying to figure out WHY this happened.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

jeeves posted:

Mother loving fuckity gently caress. Turns out that these HP DC7100 mid-towers that we have maybe a hundred of at work HAVE CUSTOM SIZED POWER SUPPLIES STRAIGHT FROM HP.
In that scenario (mid-tower cases, need new power supplies) I would probably just replace them all with Antec Sonata IIIs or something. Good case, good power supply included, and cheap; if you were to get 100 at once you could probably get them for like $70-90 each.

Consider the cost of labor too, I guess (even if it's you who'll be stuck doing everything), though it's not like transplanting stuff into a new case is a whole lot more work than switching out a power supply.

Slick posted:

Vista 64
G.Skill SSD ~120gb (if this was a bad purchase oh well)

So If I want to add in a ~500gb 7200rpm sata drive, will that drive be dog slow now that I've disabled things in the registry for SSD performance?
If you were to get rid of the SSD and run Windows (with the same tweaks) on that drive then probably, yeah. If it's just for MP3s and poo poo then it shouldn't really matter.

chizad posted:

Here's an interesting issue I ran across this weekend while building my new system.

Anyone know what the gently caress is going on here? It's all well and great that everything works fine, but all weekend I've been trying to figure out WHY this happened.

Was the Pioneer drive at, say, the top of the case? Only thing I can think of. SATA connections are flaky as gently caress compared to something like IDE. If the cable was forced to loop around and push up or down on the connector in the process...

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

The Pro posted:

Appears to be HDCP which is for "Protected" content like Commercial Blu Ray Media.
DX10 won't throw up a copyright warning and put a stop to a third party player displaying media on multiple monitors.

I'd like to know where you heard this.

I had a DX10 card, noticed my "full screen display on 2nd monitor" was gone from my options. Without even changing the drivers, I threw in a DX9 card and the option was back. NVidia officially told me DX10 and/or Vista forced them to get rid of the feature. This is why I will upgrade to neither.

The Pro
May 20, 2008

Ddraig posted:

I just got a new broadband provider and they use ADSL whereas my previous service used cable.

They have provided me with a wireless router that has a RJ11 port where the ADSL connection plugs in, but the router is a piece of crap that is constantly being knocked out by everything around it. I have my own router (a much higher quality one) but it only has RJ45 ports. Would an RJ11/RJ45 converter work straight out of the box or would I need to do something else? The ADSL plugs directly into the current router whereas my old cable service had a modem along with it, so I'm unsure if it would work as smoothly as I'm imagining.
Set the ISP provided device to bridge mode, then connect your router to it and enter the required settings in your routers control panel (PPPoE, Username/Password), Refer to your ISP's support site for the correct settings.

You could get your own modem, though you should try the above first.

Milky_Sauce posted:

I had a DX10 card, noticed my "full screen display on 2nd monitor" was gone from my options. Without even changing the drivers, I threw in a DX9 card and the option was back. NVidia officially told me DX10 and/or Vista forced them to get rid of the feature. This is why I will upgrade to neither.
What driver version do you have?
https://wi.somethingawful.com/fe/fe14006175cfb93605f56251385351fb03762de2.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/ef/ef55c368a2207e8e97c43367f1563d50bdb7d6a3.jpg

Milky_Sauce posted:

Yeah that's full screen video on BOTH displays. The feature I am referring to allowed the computer to simply have the video open (leaving you free to do whatever else) while it would be full screen on the TV.
˅˅˅˅ You said "full screen video in clone mode" and that is clone mode, either way it works. https://wi.somethingawful.com/15/157d558ed023813260cd3eaa5ca6f4d797761231.jpg
What player are you using, what driver version do you have?

The Pro fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 25, 2009

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah that's full screen video on BOTH displays. The feature I am referring to allowed the computer to simply have the video open (leaving you free to do whatever else) while it would be full screen on the TV.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 24, 2009

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Straker posted:

Was the Pioneer drive at, say, the top of the case? Only thing I can think of. SATA connections are flaky as gently caress compared to something like IDE. If the cable was forced to loop around and push up or down on the connector in the process...

Yes it was. I tried to keep my cable routing pretty clean though, so the cable should have been going straight in. Oh well, I've got a setup that works, that's what matters.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
Well I got two Radeon 1650's today from Newegg. They were open box, so at only $22 each I bought two. They are both exhibiting the same exact problem. My monitor freaks out. Sometimes it will display the Windows XP loading bar, sometimes it never gets that far. My 24" Dell keeps saying "Input out of range, please set to 60hz" or something, even though I plugged in a different ATI Radeon and I know for a fact it's set to that. BOTH cards are doing the exact same thing. What are the odds two cards are giving me identical problems?

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Milky_Sauce posted:

Well I got two Radeon 1650's today from Newegg. They were open box, so at only $22 each I bought two. They are both exhibiting the same exact problem. My monitor freaks out. Sometimes it will display the Windows XP loading bar, sometimes it never gets that far. My 24" Dell keeps saying "Input out of range, please set to 60hz" or something, even though I plugged in a different ATI Radeon and I know for a fact it's set to that. BOTH cards are doing the exact same thing. What are the odds two cards are giving me identical problems?

You shouldn't have bought those. Open box means they were sent back for some reason, not to mention that you bought cards that are 3 or 4 generations old. Did you install them properly in the first place? (Uninstall old drivers from whatever video card you had in there before, clean drivers out with DriverCleaner Pro or similar program and then install fresh drivers?)

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Sir Nigel posted:

You shouldn't have bought those. Open box means they were sent back for some reason, not to mention that you bought cards that are 3 or 4 generations old. Did you install them properly in the first place? (Uninstall old drivers from whatever video card you had in there before, clean drivers out with DriverCleaner Pro or similar program and then install fresh drivers?)

Well, when I throw in an old video card (ATI Radeon) it displays just fine, meaning there shouldn't be driver issues. I know I shouldn't buy a card a few generations old but I need DirectX 9 only and two DVI ports. Also, I play absolutely no games on my PC. My options were slim, and Newegg promised they checked this crap was functional before shipping.

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 26, 2009

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
edit != quote

jenny jones fan fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 26, 2009

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Milky_Sauce posted:

Well, when I throw in an old video card (ATI Radeon) it displays just fine, meaning there shouldn't be driver issues.
That may not indicate that the drivers are fine, the old card may use different drivers than the 1650. First try updating to the latest drivers for that card.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
edit woops there's a better thread for this question.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
I've got an amd 64 3000+ with a Geforce 4 in my office. I only use this for internet browsing and it was making too much noise so I just disconnected the geforce's fan. How likely is it that it's going to fail and take other components with it? I don't really care if the geforce dies because I could get another card.

EDIT : It's actually a Geforce 6800XT, I don't remember buying this at all! Still, it's probably worth next to nothing now.

LastCaress fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 27, 2009

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

LastCaress posted:

I've got an amd 64 3000+ with a Geforce 4 in my office. I only use this for internet browsing and it was making too much noise so I just disconnected the geforce's fan. How likely is it that it's going to fail and take other components with it? I don't really care if the geforce dies because I could get another card.

EDIT : It's actually a Geforce 6800XT, I don't remember buying this at all! Still, it's probably worth next to nothing now.

Couldn't you just buy an aftermarket GPU cooling fan? I had a Zalman one for my old card that was cool and quiet. Just the job :)

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

LastCaress posted:

I've got an amd 64 3000+...
At that point in time, ATI's high-end cards carried the XT suffix (i.e. X800XT), but nVidia cards ending in XT were their crippled budget models. So, that's still a decent card, but yeah, you could replace it with an equal or better card for like $30 now if it died, provided your 6800XT is PCIe, not AGP.

Anyway, it should be fine with the fan off for 2D stuff, just check the temperature every now and then, and avoid watching movies or using Google Earth or anything else that can use hardware acceleration.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I have a dead hard drive. It is a Fujitsu MHT2080AT-PL 80gb 8mb cache 4200rpm drive. The drive will not spin up with its current logic board. I substituted the logic board for another from a different model Fujitsu, and the drive spins up but is not detected. Therefore, the logicboard is bad and must be replaced with an exact model.

Where can I go to get an exact replacement? I need it ASAP.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.

Otacon posted:

Where can I go to get an exact replacement? I need it ASAP.
I would first try eBay, but at least this company seems to sell them.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Sir Nigel posted:

You shouldn't have bought those. Open box means they were sent back for some reason, not to mention that you bought cards that are 3 or 4 generations old.

I would just like to comment that not everybody thinks this. I've had no problems with open box items. Hell, the only things that usually give me trouble are the ones that are brand new and shrinkwrapped. I guess it's still a gamble, but the odds still greatly favor the buyer.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Saukkis posted:

I would first try eBay, but at least this company seems to sell them.

$30 for a PCB with $25 shipping. Obscene.

I found an exact match on eBay and just purchased it. Thanks for the idea.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Otacon posted:

$30 for a PCB with $25 shipping. Obscene.
Yeah. The people selling PCBs know that their customers are usually willing to pay what ever they ask.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Edit; oops, wrong thread.

Disregard, Sorry.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

What's the cheapest/easiest way to share a wireless USB keyboard between two devices?

I know I could use a KVM but that requires me to get to the switch and physically press a button OR buy an expensive (?) KVM that supports special keyboard presses to switch between devices.

Does anybody cheaper/easier exist? I only need to use one wireless USB keyboard and share it with two devices... (HTPC and Satellite receiver)

Kaso
Apr 17, 2006
How come the abyss doesn't gaze also into me ?
I presume with Sat receiver this isnt viable, but if both devices are running any of linux/windows/mac and are networked together you could use Synergy to do virtual KVM over the network.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Can you guys recommend a good USB 2.0 IDE hard drive enclosure? I have an old 120 gig Seagate sitting unused I'd like to use to backup a lot of MP3's that are scattered among a few different computers. Huge plus if I can buy it on Amazon, but not required. Thanks.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Vinlaen posted:

What's the cheapest/easiest way to share a wireless USB keyboard between two devices?

I know I could use a KVM but that requires me to get to the switch and physically press a button OR buy an expensive (?) KVM that supports special keyboard presses to switch between devices.

Does anybody cheaper/easier exist? I only need to use one wireless USB keyboard and share it with two devices... (HTPC and Satellite receiver)

If your Satellite receiver can't use Synergy,

This $20 Trendnet KVM lets you switch by hitting the scroll lock key twice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817403047

Sir Nigel
Jun 29, 2006

Zorilla posted:

I would just like to comment that not everybody thinks this. I've had no problems with open box items. Hell, the only things that usually give me trouble are the ones that are brand new and shrinkwrapped. I guess it's still a gamble, but the odds still greatly favor the buyer.

Sorry if I didn't emphasize why I thought that it was a bad idea. You may get problems with it being open box, you never know, but the real reason I consider it as a bad idea was because those cards are like 3 or 4 generations old and you could have gotten a much better card for almost the same price. At the very least you could have gotten an ATI 2400 for 29.99 that comes with a warranty and can do full HD decoding on the GPU. The X1550 can help, but it doesn't have the full unified decoding of blu-ray or h.264 etc.. HD formats.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Thanks for the help guys. That TRENDnet KVM should work great.

However, do you typically need a VGA cable plugged in for the keyboard/mouse to switch? In my case I don't have any VGA (eg. I only want to switch the keyboard/mouse)

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

I boot from a WD 250GB drive. I have an empty identical drive sitting around. How would I go about making an exact copy of the boot drive? Ideally including all the boot stuff, so if the first drive fails, I can pop the new one in and have it work right away.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Kreez posted:

I boot from a WD 250GB drive. I have an empty identical drive sitting around. How would I go about making an exact copy of the boot drive? Ideally including all the boot stuff, so if the first drive fails, I can pop the new one in and have it work right away.

Any imaging software, such as Acronis ($$) or Norton Ghost ($$$) or even CloneMaxx (free!) will do the trick - you're looking to clone your drive. There are many other options available, but I've only ever used Acronis and Ghost. Note: you will need another computer to do this, as you shouldn't attempt to clone a drive that's currently in use by Windows (but it is possible, just risky)

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Awesome, thanks.

less_than_one
Aug 29, 2004

Kreez posted:

Awesome, thanks.

Alternatively you could use a Linux live CD (such as Knoppix) to do this without having to tear out any drives...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Is there a safe way to share an external hard drive for two computers? I got a new one a few months ago, but the other one is still working fine. I was thinking about using one for gaming and the other for music/videos, but that'd have no use if there's not much on it.

• Locked thread