Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Kynetx, I forgot you're in western WA. There are some decent deals on CL right now.

This looks like a shorter version of this one sold at costco.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/tls/1048624699.html

Sweet old timey snap-on. :wal:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/1055984467.html

Better upper than the HF one, about the same quality lower.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/tls/1056760961.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tls/1054914859.html

Korwen posted:

I've used Craftsman tools all my life, but is there something else I should try? I'm not going to spend Snap-On kind of money here, I just need some basic tools, but I'd like to get a good deal. What is your favorite brands as far as hitting the quality/price sweet spot?

If you've got the time, far and above the best way of building up a tool box is garage sales. I've seen people sell a rolling box, with tools, for a couple hundred bucks.

Harbor Freight is pretty good for cheap tools that don't get used much. Their tools generally feel junky, but get the job done 99% of the time. I stay away from their box wrenches, pliers, taps/dies, blades, drill bits, and grinding stones. Their ratches are very good for the price, and simple stuff like hammers and screw drivers are always good. I've gotten some great sockets from them, and some lovely sockets that don't fit.

I've got 1/2" and 1/4" socket sets and ratchets from Shucks that are surprisingly good. Several years of (hard)use and I've broken the 1/4" ratchet and one 1/4" socket. They're over twice the price of HF, but they come with a lifetime warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Korwen posted:

I'm thinking about slowly aquiring all of this stuff as I find good deals

This is the best thing to do. With sets of sockets, wrenches, and screwdrivers, you can do most simple things. A hammer, breaker bar, and torque wrench will really get you set to work on a lot of stuff.

Make sure you don't skimp on jackstands, quality is a must on those.

I only buy my stuff on a need/great deal basis.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Suniikaa posted:

A big loving hammer.

To back this up. This is not a joke.

Harbor freight's pittsburgh series of hand tools are good. I wait for sales and buy sets of combination wrenches for $10. They're better than the craftsman bits I have.

Harbor freight is hit and miss. The good stuff they have is GOOD. There are items that are right next to each other, with similar prices, that are complete trash. You need to use careful judgement there.

Dont' forget to goto home depot, or lowes. Home depot has craftmsan seconds in orange bags there. And screwdrivers that look like craftsman.. are craftsman, just dont have the warrenty.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Korwen posted:

Tool :words:

Seconding the big loving hammer... actually a couple of them. It's surprising how 3lb slegde, 5 lb sledge and a 3lb dead-blow are used in entirely different situations, but get them in addition to a regular claw hammer. And a 20lb sledge for the times when you really need a hammer.

I'd say 1/2" sockets, but it'd be better to just get a 1/2" deep socket air set of standard and metric and be done with it.

Cheap screwdrivers -- Harbor freight has several types of sets, get a couple of each. It never hurts to have random screwdrivers laying around. And I've had just as good luck with cheap screwdrivers as I have with my Craftsman (most of the craftsman are trashed, just waiting for me to take them back to the store fore replacements).

One thing to splurge on is a good set of box-end ratcheting wrenches. These things are from god.

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?
Never underestimate the value of a BFH. I got a 4lb "mining hammer", which is basically a short handle sledge that was immensely useful when doing the front end on my vehicle.

The general theme with HF is to think of the consequences if it breaks (because it will)

If you risk life, limb, or damage to systems by its failure, you probably want to get it somewhere else. (eg. spring compressor, torque wrench)

If it's merely a pain in the rear end, HF tools are usually worthwhile. (eg. BFH, impact screwdriver)

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Korwen posted:

So I checked the resource thread, and I couldn't find my answers, so I've come here asking for advice.

I've worked on cars all of my car owning life. The problem is, I've always worked on cars at my family home, or in a friend's garage. I don't have my own tools. I'm at a point now where I have a place to keep them, a garage to work on cars in, and sort of have the means to afford some tools. Great, I want to get baby's first toolest, but where to start? I have some questions I'd like to ask and if you feel like answering them or writing some "Idiots guide to spending lots of money on tools" I would appreciate it.

To the questions though,

I'm starting out with nothing. Zero. I have a pretty basic idea of what I'll need, at least initially, (1/4 3/8 sockets, wrenches, hand wrenches, car jack, jackstands, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, and go from there) anything else I'm forgetting?

I've used Craftsman tools all my life, but is there something else I should try? I'm not going to spend Snap-On kind of money here, I just need some basic tools, but I'd like to get a good deal. What is your favorite brands as far as hitting the quality/price sweet spot?

Retail/Ebay/Craigslist, where do I get em? I've got time to be patient and I can try to get them through other means, but if I try to get it online, is there any problem buying used? What should I watch for? Is there such a thing as counterfeit brand tools?

I'm sure there's more questions I'm not asking, but I just figured I'd ask you guys some stuff and see what advice I get back. As I said I've got time, I'm thinking about slowly aquiring all of this stuff as I find good deals and hopefully around early summer when I have my garage cleaned and prepared for the man cave it will be, I can have a decent starting tool set to work with.

What's your budget?
What do you plan to work on?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

daslog posted:

I was going to ask this. I have a German car and a Japanese bike. I never touch my SAE stuff, just the metric stuff. Also, having a VW, I will eventually need some triple-square bits to get at the suspension.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

Suniikaa posted:

A big loving hammer.

so true. I needed a 5 pound mini sledge and a punch set to remove the rusted-in steel bolts on my caliped. No, before you ask. The calipers float and bolt into a bracket behind the hub, so there are no threads on the hub itself. It was just rusted on that it wouldn't come out.

Out came the punch, and the mini sledge. 10 minutes of pounding and it popped out.

Get a big hammer.

now.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

oxbrain posted:

Get this and T it into your air line. It's only 125psi, but it runs at regulator pressure and most tools don't use more than that. It will give you a lot more air before the psi starts to drop, which can make a huge difference for burst use like an impact gun. Use a quick disconnect and shutoff valve and you've got a portable air tank for filling tires.

I was a student. My setup was cheap. I'll look into that though, looks like a good idea. Keep it in the trunk and air up the tire before leaving the track :unsmith:

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Korwen: Here's a guide for what you should do when starting out with some basic auto tools. Start with the essentials and see what you need from there. Buy used when you can, the depreciation on tools is pretty significant. Do not get hung up on ooh new shiny tools.

Essentials:
Jack/JackStands - Get an aluminum HF one and get the HF 6ton slide able ones.
Screwdrivers - Get some cheapies to break and gently caress around with, but get some snap-on, Mac, SK, etc. for actually using to screw things in. Especially if what you're screwing in and out is likely using cheap fasteners. This can save yourself a lot of hassle and is worth paying the $10 or so per screwdriver versus 50 cents at the dollar store/HF.
Sockets/Box End Wrenches - SOMEONE in your area (if you live in a city at least) is having a garage/moving sale and selling their craftsman socket set and wrenches this weekend. Even if its not out, ask. I PROMISE you will find some there and for a lot cheaper than a full mechanics set. Any rusty ones just take them back.
Ratchets - Get craftsman either used or on eBay, soak in ATF. They are easy to rebuild and cheap.
Multimeter and Testlight - Get these form HF for like $8 total on sale. Very useful.

After the essentials you'll start needing to cut and fab poo poo and we can talk about air compressors, air tools, saws, etc.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 4, 2009

kaniff
Feb 27, 2004

oh word?
craigslist craigslist craigslist

I've found tons of great equipment from people who are clearing out their stuff to pay their underwater mortgage. Especially compressors and air tools.

Set up RSS searches into your favorite aggregator (does anyone use anything but Google Reader anymore)

see: http://www.lifeclever.com/the-lazy-way-to-search-craigslist/

Being the first on a craiglist posting is often the difference. The RSS really helps.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

kaniff posted:

Being the first on a craiglist posting is often the difference. The RSS really helps.

This x 999999

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I've been using Craftsman for over a decade and until Sears goes out of business they're a really convenient option. I had a Craftsman 3-ton (I think) floor jack for almost a decade and it finally got stolen last year. I never oiled that thing once and it performed like a champ. I'll probably grab that HF one now that ya'll suggested it, but that Craftsman one was great.

Definitely need to get another compressor, got the impact already, but my last one got stolen and I need a bigger chain first. Got to leave the stuff in the carport since there isn't room inside. Are there any compressors that you'd suggest? I'd just use it for work on the cars, which is mostly exhaust and engine work.

kaniff posted:

see: http://www.lifeclever.com/the-lazy-way-to-search-craigslist/

Sweet now I can finally get to all the casual encounters postings as soon as their posted.

Seriously though, this is a lifesaver when it comes to the free listings.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

Sir Tonk posted:

I've been using Craftsman for over a decade and until Sears goes out of business they're a really convenient option. I had a Craftsman 3-ton (I think) floor jack for almost a decade and it finally got stolen last year. I never oiled that thing once and it performed like a champ. I'll probably grab that HF one now that ya'll suggested it, but that Craftsman one was great.

Definitely need to get another compressor, got the impact already, but my last one got stolen and I need a bigger chain first. Got to leave the stuff in the carport since there isn't room inside. Are there any compressors that you'd suggest? I'd just use it for work on the cars, which is mostly exhaust and engine work.

Sweet now I can finally get to all the casual encounters postings as soon as their posted.

Seriously though, this is a lifesaver when it comes to the free listings.
If your carport has a concrete floor get a stand up compressor with feet and bolt that thing down.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Does it make sense to put some rubber down between the feet and the concrete?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

daslog posted:

Does it make sense to put some rubber down between the feet and the concrete?

Not really, the mass of the compressor and tank should be more than enough to damp out any vibration by the time it gets to the ground.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I was browsing HF's new items and they apparently have a pushlock fitting kit.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=66747

These box end wrench ratching adapters look pretty neat as well:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=99618

Lastly anyone tried out or see these types of sanding discs?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=65287

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 4, 2009

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

RealKyleH posted:

If your carport has a concrete floor get a stand up compressor with feet and bolt that thing down.
That's a great idea, thanks. It's concrete, but being in Houston it's all cracked. Got enough flat surface area in the back for one though. I just ran electricity out there again so I could hook one up, so this'll work quite well.

(the cracks are mostly just annoying when I'm trying to get the jack stands level)

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

RealKyleH posted:

Lastly anyone tried out or see these types of sanding discs?
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=65287

I've yet to be satisfied with any kind of wear item bought from HF. Drill bits, sanding discs, blades, grind stones, etc. all seem to wear out or break far too soon to be worth while.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Can anyone tell me about Mac Tools brand cordless impact gun, 1/2inch. Model number the guy gave me is: cl12192 but its not coming up on MAC website or in google. He sent me a picture of said impact gun. Its cordless, 2 batteries, charger, 19.2volt. Is this a deal for $100?? What kind of warranty does mac have??

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

RealKyleH posted:

Ratchets - Get craftsman either used or on eBay, soak in ATF. They are easy to rebuild and cheap.

I don't have anything to add except to disagree with this single statement. Craftsman ratchets used to be decent, but the new ones use plastic selector levers, and honestly, the 3/8" ratchet will be the tool you use in 90% of jobs. Buy an S-K, Matco, Mac, or Cornwell. Check eBay for those. Even used, they are pro-level tools that will hold up WAY better than any crappy cheap Craftsman. Cornwell still only, to my knowledge, makes a 36-tooth ratchet. Thats pretty rough, and means a large swing arc. If you look for an S-K thats modern, they are 72-tooth heads, and offer a very small swing arc. I'd suggest a model#:45175. Its a round-head, 72-tooth, and strong as hell. I've beaten mine with a 5# sledge before, and when I disassembled it recently, it was 100% fine. You can also put some Lucas Oil Stabilizer in a cheap ratchet (you have to add it with a Q-tip, soaking won't get it in there), and it will quiet it down, and make it very very slick.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

sharkytm posted:

I don't have anything to add except to disagree with this single statement. Craftsman ratchets used to be decent, but the new ones use plastic selector levers, and honestly, the 3/8" ratchet will be the tool you use in 90% of jobs. Buy an S-K, Matco, Mac, or Cornwell. Check eBay for those. Even used, they are pro-level tools that will hold up WAY better than any crappy cheap Craftsman. Cornwell still only, to my knowledge, makes a 36-tooth ratchet. Thats pretty rough, and means a large swing arc. If you look for an S-K thats modern, they are 72-tooth heads, and offer a very small swing arc. I'd suggest a model#:45175. Its a round-head, 72-tooth, and strong as hell. I've beaten mine with a 5# sledge before, and when I disassembled it recently, it was 100% fine. You can also put some Lucas Oil Stabilizer in a cheap ratchet (you have to add it with a Q-tip, soaking won't get it in there), and it will quiet it down, and make it very very slick.

Man now I really want one. All frivolous purchases are on hold for the next few months. I'll fully concede that I have worn out craftsman ratchets in the past and that buying a better one, at least one of them, may be a much better idea.

Also, combining this:

with this:

Makes for a pretty sweet looking knife.

AnomalousBoners fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 5, 2009

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Any good, pro-quality ratchet it worth owning. I own 4 S-K's, all 3/8" and between 8 and 10 inches. I own a single 36T 3/8" Cornwell thats 14" long. That covers 95% of my work on cars. My OLD Craftsmen with the metal levers handle the 1/4 and 1/2 duties.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

RealKyleH posted:

with this:

Makes for a pretty sweet looking knife.

What's so special about those blades?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
They're Titanium-Nitride coated, not that it really matters not a cutting edge of that type. They just look cool mostly. Also they shouldn't ever get surface rust not that I haven't seen cheap TiN coated tools rust.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

daslog posted:

What's your budget?

Budget is very little. I can spend 3-400, but over time. I'd rather put it together a set of sockets here, a wrench there. Obviously jackstands and a jack are something I would like to have high quality parts of. I can't believe I forgot the big loving hammer. I recently changed the timing belt/water pump on my 928 and the 4lb dead blow hammer the shop I was doing the work at had was loving invaluable.

And yeah, I'll mostly be working on my Porsche 928 and a 95 Saturn SL2 - I've been able to get away with just metrics and barely needed SAE's my whole life.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

Lando posted:

Can anyone tell me about Mac Tools brand cordless impact gun, 1/2inch. Model number the guy gave me is: cl12192 but its not coming up on MAC website or in google. He sent me a picture of said impact gun. Its cordless, 2 batteries, charger, 19.2volt. Is this a deal for $100?? What kind of warranty does mac have??

Can I get a little help/some recommendations? :)

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Lando posted:

Can I get a little help/some recommendations? :)

I've only heard good things about MAC tools. As far as the warranty goes, they're probably like everyone else. Lifetime on hand tools, a year or two on power tools.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Can anyone comment on a random orbit wax/polish tool like this Harbor Freight one? Can they damage the finish if you're not careful or are they less powerful than more professional buffing tools? This weekend I want to clay bar, polish, and put a couple coats of wax on my car. I'd love if a power tool can save me some pain with the polish and wax.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I always heard that the porter cable RO is the best you can get at a reasonable price. I bought mine and really like it. If you don't know what you're doing an RO can really ruin your day but with a little research theyre great tools.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Can anyone comment on a random orbit wax/polish tool like this Harbor Freight one? Can they damage the finish if you're not careful or are they less powerful than more professional buffing tools? This weekend I want to clay bar, polish, and put a couple coats of wax on my car. I'd love if a power tool can save me some pain with the polish and wax.

I have a Simioniz version of the same thing, and it will not damage your paint. It doesn't spin like a real buffer, and is really only good for rubbing off wax. It would take an awful long time for you to do any damage to your paint. If you want to just use it so you don't have to rub so much when taking the wax off, it will work.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

sharkytm posted:

I'd suggest a model#:45175. Its a round-head, 72-tooth, and strong as hell. I've beaten mine with a 5# sledge before, and when I disassembled it recently, it was 100% fine.

Hey! That's what sits in my tool box in whatever car I'm driving. I love that ratchet.

Just yesterday I went to a yard sale (and it's 30 degrees, I have no idea why he decided to have a yard sale) and got just under 200 sockets in various sizes for $20.
Mostly craftsman, mostly in decent shape. There are a couple SnapOn, MAC and SK as well. I'm going to go to sears and replace the really whooped sockets.
I was loving ecstatic to get such an awesome deal. Most of them are 3/8, but there's at least one full set's worth of 1/4 SAE and 1/2 metric.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

blindjoe posted:

I have a Simioniz version of the same thing, and it will not damage your paint. It doesn't spin like a real buffer, and is really only good for rubbing off wax. It would take an awful long time for you to do any damage to your paint. If you want to just use it so you don't have to rub so much when taking the wax off, it will work.

Thanks for the advice. Does it work well to apply liquid wax or polish too?

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Korwen posted:

Budget is very little. I can spend 3-400, but over time. I'd rather put it together a set of sockets here, a wrench there. Obviously jackstands and a jack are something I would like to have high quality parts of. I can't believe I forgot the big loving hammer. I recently changed the timing belt/water pump on my 928 and the 4lb dead blow hammer the shop I was doing the work at had was loving invaluable.

And yeah, I'll mostly be working on my Porsche 928 and a 95 Saturn SL2 - I've been able to get away with just metrics and barely needed SAE's my whole life.

It's craigslist for you! Setup the RSS feed.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

daslog posted:

It's craigslist for you! Setup the RSS feed.

Done and Done - any recommended searches? Right now I have "Socket" "Ratchet" and "S-K" set up to search, should I modify these or add some extras?

Another quick question regarding the 3klb aluminum racing jack at HF, it says rated at 3000lb, I mean, it'll be fine for my two cars, both of 3200lb or so, right? that plus the smaller 3 ton jack stands, no need for the bigger ones, right? Might have to go buy those this weekend, or should I wait for a sale?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Korwen posted:

Done and Done - any recommended searches? Right now I have "Socket" "Ratchet" and "S-K" set up to search, should I modify these or add some extras?

Another quick question regarding the 3klb aluminum racing jack at HF, it says rated at 3000lb, I mean, it'll be fine for my two cars, both of 3200lb or so, right? that plus the smaller 3 ton jack stands, no need for the bigger ones, right? Might have to go buy those this weekend, or should I wait for a sale?

You're never lifting the entire weight of the car.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Kynetx posted:

You're never lifting the entire weight of the car.

Also 3 tons = ~6000 lbs. so those jack stands can hold more than you might think.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Seconding what RealKyleH said - the general consensus on the detailing forums is don't bother buying anything less than the porter cable. All the $30 units don't seem to do poo poo apparently, unfortunately a porter cable is significantly more money (and that's before you throw in the pads and backing plates and all that).

It depends on the car, but I had a 1999 Acura where polishing by hand seemed to help at least (I would use some touch up paint, sand it level, use rubbing compound, then polish by hand). I currently have a 2003 Nissan and the clear coat is hard as poo poo. I'm guessing this is good for paint protection, but there seems to be no point in even trying to polish by hand.

I bought this porter cable kit:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-udmsfx-kit.html

which comes with 6" polishing pads, and had to go down to 4" pads to get enough cutting power. I'd also recommend the XMT polish over the Sonus. Your needs might be different, but I bought a used black car and it looks like the previous owner took it an automatic car wash weekly - swirl marks everywhere. The porter cable with 4" pad and the XMT intermediate swirl remover helps, but it still takes multiple applications of polish to get an area looking better.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

devnull420 posted:

I bought this porter cable kit:
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-udmsfx-kit.html

which comes with 6" polishing pads, and had to go down to 4" pads to get enough cutting power. I'd also recommend the XMT polish over the Sonus. Your needs might be different, but I bought a used black car and it looks like the previous owner took it an automatic car wash weekly - swirl marks everywhere. The porter cable with 4" pad and the XMT intermediate swirl remover helps, but it still takes multiple applications of polish to get an area looking better.

drat, I'm in the same boat with a black car that is loaded with swirl marks from what looks like a carwash. I think the PC one is out of my budget and experience right now. I'm going to grab a Craftsman 7" random orbit polisher and give it a shot this weekend, worst case I'm only out $30. I'm hoping clay bar, scratch remover, polish, and wax will at least knock down the swirl marks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Ok, so here's what I ended up with.

I went in with every intention of just buying this.

It goes for $499.00 usually, but they had an open box unit sitting out on the floor for $299.99. I had my trusty 20% off coupon with me which brought the before-tax price down to $239.99. Holy poo poo. Even more surprising was that it fit into my MS3 without removing the casters. It took three guys to load it up. I think it must weight 150 lbs empty.

Build quality is pretty good. The drawers are heavy and smooth. There is a slight lateral gap that allows some slight side to side slop but it's not nearly as bad as any Craftsman for twice the price.
Now I gotta go buy a bunch of rails. My socket collection is a mess.