Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

My son's first car...he's 15, and will have a lot of work to do on it.

He doesn't know about it yet :shh:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
I currently drive a 2001 Audi S4 which sports a few modifications.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Grimster posted:

I'm going to have to just get a Grand National since I'll never find a Typhoon for a reasonable price. They're such badass cars. Well, I guess a turbo Trans Am would suffice, but those are stupidly expensive as well.

PainterofCrap posted:

My son's first car...he's 15, and will have a lot of work to do on it.

He doesn't know about it yet :shh:
That's really cool of you. I tried to give my brother the Mustang I've got, but her decided to get a '96 Ram with a hosed up transmission. Don't ask me why, but I'm guessing he's gay since the truck is black with a horrible magenta trim on the lower section all the way around. And it's got those stick-on vents on the front fenders.

Clamwacker
Feb 12, 2007

It is now time to rock out with your cock out. BEGIN!

azerdude32 posted:

I'd like to know how much it costs to modify an Audi so that you get 4 boats. Anyway, nice looking car and a pretty slick photo.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

BillyBlitzkreig posted:

Its time for an All-American, Detroit iron circle jerk.

The black looks interesting against the ever-gray suicide inducing skies of that area, doesn't it? Kind of like the dead light coming from the spider in that Stephen King book. (can you tell I hated that place?)

BillyBlitzkreig
Jan 6, 2005
10 kilos of croutons

Das Volk posted:

The black looks interesting against the ever-gray suicide inducing skies of that area, doesn't it? Kind of like the dead light coming from the spider in that Stephen King book. (can you tell I hated that place?)

Over the years, (I've lived in the PNW since I was a wee lad of three), its grown on me. And by "grown on me," I mean of course, that my pale skin has made me even more ginger than most medical professionals would think possible.

Seriously though, a good black on an overcast day is rather hot.

A.C.A.M.
Dec 25, 2004

may our nation state be always second rate

azerdude32 posted:

SEPIAAAAAAA

Lets see it in colour!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Grimster posted:

Man, I love Grand Nationals. My neighbor has one and whenever he's outside working on it I always yell out the window when I can hear the turbo spooling or if he's revving the car, "HELL YEAH!" I don't think he knows where I'm yelling from though.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Clamwacker posted:

I'd like to know how much it costs to modify an Audi so that you get 4 boats. Anyway, nice looking car and a pretty slick photo.

Thanks man, but none of the boats are mine :(
As far as mod price, it really depends on the mods your doing. I'm at stage 2+, which is an ECU reflash, down pipes, and a full catback. Estimated power with these mods is roughly 340 HP and 400 ft/lb of torque.

A.C.A.M. posted:

SEPIAAAAAAA

Lets see it in colour!

Haha, ok!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

azerdude32 posted:

Gorgeous car. I love the B5 S4 in silver.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

azerdude32 posted:

S4 stuff

How do you find the ownership experience? I've got a 1.8T Jetta and for my next car have been heavily considering adding two cylinders and a turbo. Nightmarish? Expensive? Etc?

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DoesNotCompute posted:

How do you find the ownership experience? I've got a 1.8T Jetta and for my next car have been heavily considering adding two cylinders and a turbo. Nightmarish? Expensive? Etc?

The 2.7T is pretty reliable and stout. The stock k03 turbos are a bit iffy and will fail somewhere between 100-150k miles, but that's just an excuse to go k04. The timing belt also needs to be done before 80k miles.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

metalhead posted:

The 2.7T is pretty reliable and stout. The stock k03 turbos are a bit iffy and will fail somewhere between 100-150k miles, but that's just an excuse to go k04. The timing belt also needs to be done before 80k miles.

So just like the 1.8T basically. I'm assuming the timing belt is also a loving nightmare since VAG had something to do with it. (Just did mine for a tidy $700 sum, which sadly was a good deal with all the stuff you do at the same time as the belt.)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DoesNotCompute posted:

Personally, I'm absolutely IN LOVE with this car. I plan on driving it till it can't be driven anymore.

However, maintenance can be a pain in the rear end. The stock K03's aren't reliable at all and can go at any moment. Some keep truckin', and others just die. On my audi forum there is a B5 S4 owner with over 210,000 miles on stock K03's. I'm very close to NYC so I have access to a tuner who has very reasonable labor rates. To do a full stage 3 (pull motor and switch out turbos and clutch) install he wants around $1,500. If you do get this car, you might want to have some money set aside just in case something brakes. But, if you keep on top of maintenance and do all the small things when needed you shouldn't have a problem.

That being said, I still love my car.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
is it a tip or 6spd?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

azerdude32 posted:

Personally, I'm absolutely IN LOVE with this car. I plan on driving it till it can't be driven anymore.

However, maintenance can be a pain in the rear end. The stock K03's aren't reliable at all and can go at any moment. Some keep truckin', and others just die. On my audi forum there is a B5 S4 owner with over 210,000 miles on stock K03's. I'm very close to NYC so I have access to a tuner who has very reasonable labor rates. To do a full stage 3 (pull motor and switch out turbos and clutch) install he wants around $1,500. If you do get this car, you might want to have some money set aside just in case something brakes. But, if you keep on top of maintenance and do all the small things when needed you shouldn't have a problem.

That being said, I still love my car.

Well consider my arm twisted, I'm now on the longterm hunt for a clean B5. I took a 4.2 S4 (B6? I don't know audi stuff besides B5) out and loved the poo poo out of it. I also love turbo lag (seriously) so that's got the older ones in higher priority for me, the V8 did make a lovely sound though.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DoesNotCompute posted:

Well consider my arm twisted, I'm now on the longterm hunt for a clean B5. I took a 4.2 S4 (B6? I don't know audi stuff besides B5) out and loved the poo poo out of it. I also love turbo lag (seriously) so that's got the older ones in higher priority for me, the V8 did make a lovely sound though.

The 2.7s hardly have any lag (k03s are small!) and they are torquey as gently caress.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
And just to note, a buddy of mine got his K04s in and it pulls like a motherfucker, hasn't been tuned yet but I think the estimate now is about ~420-450 at the crank.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

azerdude32 posted:

I'm at stage 2+

I hear the boss on stage 4 is a bitch but if you punch when he opens his mouth you can keep punching him when he drops his pants and you can knock him out every time in under a minute.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

frozenphil posted:

I hear the boss on stage 4 is a bitch but if you punch when he opens his mouth you can keep punching him when he drops his pants and you can knock him out every time in under a minute.

That's why they call it a KO4.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

metalhead posted:

is it a tip or 6spd?

Its the only way a real S4 would be, 6 speed.

DoesNotCompute posted:

If you need any help searching I'd be glad to give you a hand. The 4.2 is found in the B6 and B7. The B5 has the V6 Bi-Turbo. If you can, test drive a 2000-2002 S4 (that's the B5 S4 year range for the US market). You get lots of torque down low and with just a chip the power is bumped to 318 hp with 380 ft/lb of torque. Just for $500.

You won't regret buying this car. Just be aware that maintenance is important and can be costly.

Oh yea, Stage 3 pulls like a freight train! :D

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
This was some good stuff to hear, I was looking at Audi's with the 2.7T for when I move to Seattle (will be selling my truck before I go). I was really torn between a A6, S4, and an Allroad. The Allroad would be most practical, the S4 least practical, but most fun, and the A6 a good compromise between the two.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Flyboy925 posted:

This was some good stuff to hear, I was looking at Audi's with the 2.7T for when I move to Seattle (will be selling my truck before I go). I was really torn between a A6, S4, and an Allroad. The Allroad would be most practical, the S4 least practical, but most fun, and the A6 a good compromise between the two.

I had a 2001 allroad 2.7T manual and my dad had a 2001 S4, both APR chipped. My preference is the allroad. That motor is so strong that it really doesn't show the extra weight of the bigger car... and a car as big as the allroad shouldn't move like that!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

azerdude32 posted:

If you need any help searching I'd be glad to give you a hand. The 4.2 is found in the B6 and B7. The B5 has the V6 Bi-Turbo. If you can, test drive a 2000-2002 S4 (that's the B5 S4 year range for the US market). You get lots of torque down low and with just a chip the power is bumped to 318 hp with 380 ft/lb of torque. Just for $500.

You won't regret buying this car. Just be aware that maintenance is important and can be costly.

Oh yea, Stage 3 pulls like a freight train! :D

I need to find one locally to get the girlfriend to give it a test drive, I'm about 16 months away from my next purchase if I'm responsible about it but she's shopping right now and found the Viggen we drove last week "too slow" and didn't like the clutch. Her budget is around 16K if she finds something she actually really likes and that seems to be the going rate for a clean S4 with normal mileage and the timing belt done. To get her enthusiastic about it I have to find her one to drive so she can see how she likes it though.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

2 very fun toys I own.

I wish the z4 had a little more zip, but I guess that's what the CBR is for amirite?

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Flyboy925 posted:

My parents have an APR chipped A6 (318hp on 93) and it pulls like a goddamn freight train. I've never seen a 4000lb car move so fast. It doesn't handle like a S4, though (though a stiffer suspension will help)

azerdude32 posted:

Good poo poo. Too many tips on the market :(

My next car will likely be something 2.7t powered/6spd.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

metalhead posted:

My parents have an APR chipped A6 (318hp on 93) and it pulls like a goddamn freight train. I've never seen a 4000lb car move so fast. It doesn't handle like a S4, though (though a stiffer suspension will help)

meatpimp posted:

I had a 2001 allroad 2.7T manual and my dad had a 2001 S4, both APR chipped. My preference is the allroad. That motor is so strong that it really doesn't show the extra weight of the bigger car... and a car as big as the allroad shouldn't move like that!

And I really don;t need a sporty handle like its on rails sports car. I would much prefer some more room, and a more subdued look of an A6 or Allroad. I am really leaning towards the Allroad, as it would be vastly more practical for camping trips, or anything that would require hauling more than a backpack.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Grimster posted:

HHR SS' are hilarious cars. I really want to drive one. Whats it like driving a performance box with a tiny tach?

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Ziploc posted:

HHR SS' are hilarious cars. I really want to drive one. Whats it like driving a performance box with a tiny tach?

Tiny tach? The HHR is indeed hilarious to drive, on one hand it's an ugly as gently caress HHR on the other, it has one of the coolest drivetrains in the GM lineup and lots of power (if you give it a little twist). The power band differences between it and the GTO is hilarious, the HHR isn't making poo poo till it hits 3K rpm, the GTO starts eating tires and making GBS threads smoke at under 2K if you're not careful.

The Buick is in between, until 2500 it's not really kicking rear end, but once the boost gets going it's just pull pull pull until you chicken out and let off (remembering you're relying on mid 80's era brakes and suspension to keep you between the ditches).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Grimster posted:

Tiny tach?

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/x/w/gm_08hhrss_dash.jpg

It barely has room for the needle and the numbers!

That Faggot Hammond
Mar 5, 2009
i'll have to find a better picture of this, somewhere on my hard drive.

2002 chevy 1500 silverado
1978 chevy luv

here we go

That Faggot Hammond fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 5, 2009

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

Ziploc posted:

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/x/w/gm_08hhrss_dash.jpg

It barely has room for the needle and the numbers!

Oh yeah it does look small there, it's not really that bad since you're right on top of it so it's pretty visible from the driver's seat.

Juztin
Apr 2, 2008
I'll get more pics after I cut off the grill (ricer mod I know hah) 'n some other mods.

My weekend car is the blue 2003 Nissan 350z

Got a few mods on it, aps tt kit & went with a 3" custom exhaust. Currently at 430 hp / 410 tq @ 8.5psi on a conservative tune. Back in the shop for a fuel system upgrade to RETURN system (thanks for catching that frozenphil, was having a blonde moment) w/ big injectors for an eventual E85 tune. Will up the boost to 10-11psi as that's about as much as I can get out of the stock actuators as the stock springs suck. Now that I'll have enough fuel I'm looking forward to some more power :)

Can't wait to tear up the mountain roads here in CO after the upgrades :)

EDIT deuce: thanks Belldandy! Will do once I get the chance.

Juztin fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 6, 2009

Grimster
May 15, 2004

you suck

That human being Hammond posted:

i'll have to find a better picture of this, somewhere on my hard drive.

2002 chevy 1500 silverado
1978 chevy luv

here we go

What's under the hood that makes it need such meaty tires? Don't tease then don't follow up with some engine pics.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

01 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition. APR 93, lightweight flywheel, slotted rotors, TurboXS Diverter Valve.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Juztin posted:

Can't wait to tear up the mountain roads here in CO after the upgrades :)

Beautiful car. Post some engine bay shots please!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Juztin posted:

Back in the shop for a fuel system upgrade to returnless w/ big injectors for an eventual E85 tune.

You import guys convert to returnless systems to get more fuel? Weird.

munchies
Feb 2, 2003

e85 is a higher octane thus more boost thus more fuel needed to sustain added boost.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

munchies posted:

e85 is a higher octane thus more boost thus more fuel needed to sustain added boost.

Yeah but conventionally returned fuel systems allow better fuel pressure and rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

frozenphil posted:

You import guys convert to returnless systems to get more fuel? Weird.

I've never even seen a returnless system except on the Grand Prix and I think the Focus. Returnless is s waste of time and overcomplicated needlessly. There are no drawbacks of a standard return-system, its pump requirements aren't crazy and all the mechanicals have 40 years of performance in tens of millions of cars and nearly every race vehicle running EFI. Hell, I've seen return based carb setups, now thats wacky but has its advantages.

edit: oh okay I guess the 350Z is returnless stock, changing to a return system is much better.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 6, 2009