Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
So despite the huge fuckoff size of this series I'm thinking about picking it up, but does the OP still hold true as far as distribution? Like, are all the episodes poor rips from VHS tapes, or did someone get their hands on better quality? Recent shows have really spoiled me in regards to crystal clear video quality. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

So despite the huge fuckoff size of this series I'm thinking about picking it up, but does the OP still hold true as far as distribution? Like, are all the episodes poor rips from VHS tapes, or did someone get their hands on better quality? Recent shows have really spoiled me in regards to crystal clear video quality. :(

Just loving watch them. It's not VHS quality, but it's not blu-ray. The series in general is "hand drawn 80s as gently caress" so a lot of it doesn't make for very good high resolution stuff anyway!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

CA is slowly making DVD rips* which do look slightly better, but the originals are fine, especially considering the source.

*In glorious 29.97 fps :(

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

Zorak posted:

Just loving watch them. It's not VHS quality, but it's not blu-ray. The series in general is "hand drawn 80s as gently caress" so a lot of it doesn't make for very good high resolution stuff anyway!

Goddammit, fine then. I still reserve my right to bitch about poor quality (and long download times, Jesus Christ it is going to take forever).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

The OP is considerably out of date (its from 04 for fucks sake). The VHS rips refer to waaaay older stuff. CA began subbing the show using laserdiscs as the source 5+ years ago. It has since been fully subbed from the LD, and they are now going back to do the series using a DVD source.

It's an old show so the animation is dated, but it's not like the series relies heavily on visual details. Get the LD sourced CA subs, they're fine. I didn't notice an improvement worth re-DLing the entire series.

EDIT: Also hollah if you need a seeder.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Goddammit, fine then. I still reserve my right to bitch about poor quality (and long download times, Jesus Christ it is going to take forever).

The biggest mistake I made was putting off this show because of the visual quality. Once you get into it you start to appreciate it.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I'm getting into to the OVAs now that I'm past the 110 episodes and it's weird getting used to earlier versions of everyone, even Musel and Cazelnu show up. Not sure what makes up spoilers here since the OVAs are prequels.

I've turned two other people onto the show. One guy likes it for the combat and military tactics, another likes the politics and suits. Everyone wins from LoGH. I have seeded this for a few week and I'm calling it quits. Just shout if you need though and I'll come running with aparmenideanmonad. This series is worth sharing.

"Tlahuixcalpantecuhtli" doesn't sound right in either language though.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 25, 2009

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

"Tlahuixcalpantecuhtli" doesn't sound right in either language though.

That's because it's ancient Mexican.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

Just finished downloading and started watching the first episode...Good God, the amount of people in the OP alone (who I assume are major characters?) is larger than the some shows I've seen.:psyduck:

e: haha, this Rheinhard guy is a badass "Outnumbered two to one and surrounded? Ain't no thang :smug:"

e2: Up to ep 4 now and really enjoying it, but I've gotta question the ease with which people can waltz up to VIP's on both sides of the war.

Miles Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 27, 2009

Gary Mitchell
Apr 3, 2007

Morals are for men, not gods.
Konichiwa ADTRW,

I never come in here, and that's why I'm here!

You are all invited to join me and several other distinguished posters in our all new TV:IV exclusive Legend of the Galactic Heroes newbie thread! We will be watching through the show at a predetermined rate, and open discussion will be allowed on anything that has occurred up to that point. Spoiler tags are allowed, but obviously only people who have seen the show already would want to read them, and that discussion is probably better left here.

This thread will follow hot on the heals of the Babylon 5 Newbie appreciation thread. This came about when after a bunch of Babylon 5 fans like myself kept raving about how good the show was, insisting that more people should watch it. Well, noticing the title of this thread, It seems you all might be familiar with the sentiment.

We need you in our thread to keep everything running smoothly. As it is in the B5 thread, people who know the show will probably help make informed decisions on stuff like viewing order, clarifications/corrections in the OP and throughout, provide interesting background or behind-the-scenes info. And let me tell you: the only nearly thing as fun as watching Babylon 5 for the first time has been watching everyone else do it, so I'm sure that you'll have lots of fun living vicariously through our viewing experience!

Please just make sure you read over the short rules section of the OP, and always bear in mind the reason this thread is in TV:IV, and not ADTRW: We are trying to attract an audience consisting mostly of people who "don't like anime." And it is not the thread's purpose to reverse that view. It will probably be a beneficial side effect, though.

I'd just like to invite you post any non-spoilerific quotes I can use in my "What other's are saying" section in the OP that you think may attract viewership! Remember I haven't seen LOGH yet and am avoiding spoilers so please post them in the TVIV thread!

Without further adieu, may I present:

Starting Soon!

Purefish
Jun 12, 2008
Is all the footage contained in the first two episodes also in the Overture movie? I have never seen LOGH, and would like not to watch the same thing twice. Also, should I watch the OVAs first or after the main series?

Purefish fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 4, 2009

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Purefish posted:

Is all the footage contained in the first two episodes also in the Overture movie? I have never seen LOGH, and would like not to watch the same thing twice. Also, should I watch the OVAs first or after the main series?

Well it's all OVAs technically. But the main 110-episode series is what you should watch first, the others are prequels but they assume you already know a lot of things about the main series, especially Reinhard and Siegfried.

I haven't seen Overture so I can't answer that one.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005
Overture is a prequel movie, and I'd recommend watching it after you've watched the main series.

Edit: Actually you should watch the main series first, then any of the movies or gaidens.

abbad0n fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 5, 2009

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

abbad0n posted:

Overture is a prequel movie, and I'd recommend watching it after you've watched the main series.

Edit: Actually you should watch the main series first, then any of the movies or gaidens.

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is a prequel, but it's also the pilot; it was released first, and it's worth watching first. Overture is a retake of the first two episodes with completely new footage and stuff.

abbad0n
Jan 25, 2005

Zorak posted:

My Conquest is the Sea of Stars is a prequel, but it's also the pilot; it was released first, and it's worth watching first. Overture is a retake of the first two episodes with completely new footage and stuff.

Gah. Got them confused. It's been a while since I've seen the movies. However I'd still see the series first, and then the movies.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm really enjoying this series, but all their technology and weaponry looks so bland, and even anachronistic, when compared to their ships, on the other hand they got space-axes.

Purefish
Jun 12, 2008

Zorak posted:

But does it contain all the old footage as well?

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
So the only time in the entire series I was caught off guard by randomness was this part. Thought I would share.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Oh sweet Jesus space pirates now I need to download all the episodes and skip ahead of the TVIV thread.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

GruntyThrst posted:

Oh sweet Jesus space pirates now I need to download all the episodes and skip ahead of the TVIV thread.

:ssh: It's a one time thing Attenborough does as a joke

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Oh, gently caress episode 53, argh freaking copout, just argh...

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Honest Thief posted:

Oh, gently caress episode 53, argh freaking copout, just argh...
That was such a weird moment for me, personally. Caught perfectly between "WOO gently caress YEAH YANG" and "Wait wait wait NOOOO REINHARD!"

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
episode 82+ I feel absolutely gutted about the death of Yang Wen-li... I didn't even think he was my favourite character -- that'd probably be either Reuental or Oberstein, but I could easily imagine the show going on without either of them. Without Yang things feel.. hollow.. the Kaiser has interesting people in his camp, but democracy has to win in the end, and how can that ever happen now?.. I'll keep watching, but I feel unexpectedly miserable. Yang wasn't just the commander, he was the reason they were all fighting. He represented all the good things democracy stands for. And I.. don't know if I can go on living without him...

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

sensual benny posted:

episode 82+ but democracy has to win in the end, and how can that ever happen now?

Why exactly is that now?

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

Zorak posted:

Why exactly is that now?

Why does democracy have to win, or why can't it happen now?
I'm rooting for democracy in the long run because it's the only just system of human government. I like the Kaiser but autocracy doesn't work.
As for why can't it happen anymore, well, I just don't see it as much. Yang's absence leaves a big hole. And he had to be the leader, because nobody else quite has his ideals. I don't know. Their victory would seem hollow without democracys biggest fan to share it with. I know we're supposed to be fighting for the ideology and not for the man, but I'll miss Yang. Feel like we can't win without him.

edit- yeah Nobody else had his morals. Yang would never have gone into a rage and slaughtered those soldiers. He wouldn't be capable of that. I'm not saying Julian is despicable for being able to do that, but Yang could never. He's genuinely somewhat of a pacifist. He's just. The right man for the job.

sensual benny fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 26, 2009

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That's basically the whole point. Yang's absence is so big that all of the characters reach the same conclusion you do, and therein lies much of the drama of the final season. Also keep in mind who the Ending credits have been featuring more and more heavily throughout the series.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

That's basically the whole point. Yang's absence is so big that all of the characters reach the same conclusion you do, and therein lies much of the drama of the final season. Also keep in mind who the Ending credits have been featuring more and more heavily throughout the series.

Oh yeah. I mean I understand all this. I'm just sad about it, because I was hoping for democracy to win.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

sensual benny posted:

Why does democracy have to win, or why can't it happen now?
I'm rooting for democracy in the long run because it's the only just system of human government. I like the Kaiser but autocracy doesn't work.

SOMEONE DIDN'T LISTEN TO YANG VERY WELLLLLLL Dictatorships can be bad, but ultimately it comes down to the quality of leader in charge of it. Yang has no issue with Reinhard's leadership, for instance, but things in the long-term, it's better to give the power to help/ drat itself to the people. But that doesn't mean in the scope of the anime that it HAS to win. SURPRISE EVERYONE IS DEMOCRACY doesn't make any sense, if look at the tone of the entire series. It is democratic to consider opposing view points, much as Yang has said.

quote:

As for why can't it happen anymore, well, I just don't see it as much. Yang's absence leaves a big hole. And he had to be the leader, because nobody else quite has his ideals. I don't know. Their victory would seem hollow without democracys biggest fan to share it with. I know we're supposed to be fighting for the ideology and not for the man, but I'll miss Yang. Feel like we can't win without him.

Yang was great at talking about democracy, but you might notice he was pretty bad at working his philosophy in such a way that it worked out well for everyone. Fortunately, there are people left who are quite good at making things happen in general, so I wouldn't give up hope yet!

quote:

edit- yeah Nobody else had his morals. Yang would never have gone into a rage and slaughtered those soldiers. He wouldn't be capable of that. I'm not saying Julian is despicable for being able to do that, but Yang could never. He's genuinely somewhat of a pacifist. He's just. The right man for the job.

And yet on the other hand, Yang has killed tons of people himself via his actions, so he's far from being bloodless. He's slaughtered far more men with his actions then Julian ever has.

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
I understand all that. I'm not complaining, I'm just lamenting. Mourning, if I may.

Don't pretend you don't understand me... You've been there, we share this experience. Having fought hard and loyally under Yang and then he just goes and.. isn't there anymore. I feel low and empty and alone, and you know the pain. That's all I meant.. just wanted to let everyone else bearing this awful scar know that hey, i'm here too. i've been to hell. i know what it's like.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Indeed. Episode 82 of LOGH is probably the most tragic episode of a series I've seen, anime, live action, or otherwise.. It's not even depressing. It's just...sad.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Episode 82 was pretty good, and I almost felt like leaving afterwards like so many other Republic soldiers. If only Yang had a bit more initiative he could have avoided his death.

Seriously, about Reinhard and Emil, am I the only one who thinks that's kind of creepy? Especially since there's even a precedent, amazingly only one, for homosexuality being portrayed on the show.
I also only realised the other day that Reinhard is voiced by Vegeta.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Honest Thief posted:

Seriously, about Reinhard and Emil, am I the only one who thinks that's kind of creepy? Especially since there's even a precedent, amazingly only one, for homosexuality being portrayed on the show.

He's just being a big bro like his sister was to him okay?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Considering his obsessive relationship with her that really doesn't ease my mind.

What ever happened to those two imperial troopers from the movie, a big fella and one old timer with a cyber arm?

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
edit: nevermind. sorry for this post. cheers!

sensual benny fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 29, 2009

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I just finished the whole series. The best animation I've ever seen. Hell one of the best space-related stories in general. Simply amazing.

Click here for the full 2048x1150 image.

Found this thought I'd share.

Also I love the tv/iv thread, hopefully it attracts others to this amazing story.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

I thought Emil reminded him vaguely of Sigfried mostly because of the red hair, and from then he just went on to be (later spoilers) his doctor pal. Reinhard was pretty disgusted by all of the lavishness of previous kaisers, as seen when he immediately proposed to Mariendolf.

Also, sweet wallpaper!

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
So so far there's just 10 episodes of Spiral Labyrinth subbed by CA right? And they haven't done Ouverture to a New War yet.

Oh well.. Something to look forward to.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Tzen posted:

I just finished the whole series. The best animation I've ever seen. Hell one of the best space-related stories in general. Simply amazing.

Click here for the full 2048x1150 image.

Found this thought I'd share.

Also I love the tv/iv thread, hopefully it attracts others to this amazing story.

I just finished it too. Thanks for the new wall paper, now the series will live on forever in my heart :unsmith:

sensual benny
Aug 18, 2008
Episodes 11 and 12 of Spiral Labyrinth now available.

11: http://a.scarywater.net/ca/LOGH%20Gaiden%20Spiral%20Labyrinth%20Ep%2011%20-%20Central%20Anime(f2c50c7b).avi.torrent

12: http://a.scarywater.net/ca/LOGH%20Gaiden%20Spiral%20Labyrinth%20Ep%2012%20-%20Central%20Anime(19e4ad9a).avi.torrent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yay, new episodes! :dance: