Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I noticed (and ignored) the lulu warning a few weeks ago. It'd be nice if they'd give some details.

edit: vv yes, exactly. I don't think it's too ridiculous to expect that. What vulnerability is exploited or what other means of delivery are used? I don't think this site check is actually comparing against my specific version of opera and security settings to verify that I, personally, would be infected.

WoG fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

WoG posted:

I noticed (and ignored) the lulu warning a few weeks ago. It'd be nice if they'd give some details.

Saying that it found malware on it at recently as the 22nd and it not linked to a network of known bad sites isn't enough details? which details do you want, exactly, which virus it has specifically?

Not trying to white knight or some poo poo, but I'm really curious what more you need to know than "It has malware."

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 25, 2009

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

Casao posted:

Saying that it found malware on it at recently as the 22nd and it not linked to a network of known bad sites isn't enough details? which details do you want, exactly, which virus it has specifically?

Not trying to white knight or some poo poo, but I'm really curious what more you need to know than "It has malware."
With people like sm8000 not receiving a warning, it'd be nice if they did more to prove themselves right.

Who's not to say that it's a false positive.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Zuffox posted:

With people like sm8000 not receiving a warning, it'd be nice if they did more to prove themselves right.

Who's not to say that it's a false positive.

Well, it's server based, so if sm8000 isn't receiving the warning, it's because he disabled security checks. Or that once you click through once, it lets you throw every time after that without the warning.

It's also outsourced so HauteSecure, who I've never heard of but a quick google reveals some results. Maybe it is a false positive, but that's probably easier to find out for sure from the official forums or something. It's not popping up in IE or Chrome with a warning, so I'm more inclined to think it might be a false positive, but it's not like your browser is doing anything beside comparing against a database.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How would I have disabled security checks? Where do you go to do that?

EDIT: Know what?

http://www.lulu.com gives me no warning

http://lulu.com does give me a warning.

(I simply type lulu in the address bar, then Ctrl+Enter)

And when I click Ignore This Warning, I get taken to the 'www' URL.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 25, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

sm8000 posted:

How would I have disabled security checks? Where do you go to do that?

EDIT: Know what?

http://www.lulu.com gives me no warning

http://lulu.com does give me a warning.

(I simply type lulu in the address bar, then Ctrl+Enter)

And when I click Ignore This Warning, I get taken to the 'www' URL.

Security function of Advanced Preferences, the Fraud Protection checkbox.

Lulu.com brings up fraud while https://www.lulu.com doesn't, but if you check the Ignore this Warning link, it's pointing to just lulu.com.

Not sure why it's like this. But it seems to be working to me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well I do have Fraud Protection enabled, but it turns out I wasn't getting the warning as I was going to a slightly different URL :ms:

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
As lame and stupid as I know it is to feel defensive over computer software, with the upcoming release of Safari 4, I feel bad for Opera. Safari 4 has a number of new features that came directly from Opera, namely a Speed Dial knockoff and the searching-history-and-page-text-when-typing-in-the-URL-bar thing. The same is true for a lot of Firefox's and Chrome's new features, too.

Not that I have anything against copying features, because that's what people do when someone creates a cool, new feature. But the big thing I feel bad about is that rarely does anyone acknowledge Opera. Opera was the originator of almost every single major feature put in a web browser, including tabs, pop-up blocking, speed dial, search engine fields, in-page text searches, mouse gestures, and probably oodles more I'm forgetting. But do they ever get credit? Almost never.

Hell, other than Chrome's every-tab-is-a-process thing, can anyone name a single major feature in any of the other browsers that didn't originally come from Opera? (Excluding of course features that are necessary for something to be a browser at all, like HTML rendering.)

And I'm done. Sorry for being a stupid internet nerd. :shobon:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
There's a new post today regarding TLS 1.2 support on the Opera Core blog. There's also links for testing it yourself, if you're interested.

quote:

One of the new, but less obvious, features in Opera Presto 2.2 and Opera 10 is support for version 1.2 of the Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocol, the protocol formerly known as SSL.

TLS 1.2 was released as RFC 5246 last August, replacing TLS 1.1 (RFC 4346).

http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/02/25/new-in-opera-presto-2-2-tls-1-2-support

quote:

Not that I have anything against copying features, because that's what people do when someone creates a cool, new feature. But the big thing I feel bad about is that rarely does anyone acknowledge Opera.

A long time ago, when the Firefox Speed Dial add-ons were just coming out, I saw one that basically made it seem as if this was a brand-new idea. The description of it didn't say anything to that idea but there was no recognition of where he got the idea from. To the add-on author's credit, he did change this, after a few people commented and said such. Seriously, give credit where credit is due.

Then again, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

GuyGizmo posted:

As lame and stupid as I know it is to feel defensive over computer software, with the upcoming release of Safari 4, I feel bad for Opera. Safari 4 has a number of new features that came directly from Opera, namely a Speed Dial knockoff and the searching-history-and-page-text-when-typing-in-the-URL-bar thing. The same is true for a lot of Firefox's and Chrome's new features, too.

Not that I have anything against copying features, because that's what people do when someone creates a cool, new feature. But the big thing I feel bad about is that rarely does anyone acknowledge Opera. Opera was the originator of almost every single major feature put in a web browser, including tabs, pop-up blocking, speed dial, search engine fields, in-page text searches, mouse gestures, and probably oodles more I'm forgetting. But do they ever get credit? Almost never.

Hell, other than Chrome's every-tab-is-a-process thing, can anyone name a single major feature in any of the other browsers that didn't originally come from Opera? (Excluding of course features that are necessary for something to be a browser at all, like HTML rendering.)

They chose a business model (pay or ad-supported) at a bad time.

And they still have compatibility problems.

I use it and love it. But I could never in good conscience recommend Opera to someone. (Same with Macs, as well). Compatibility trumps all for people who do not want to think about the tool itself.

For the nerd, it's not nerdy enough. It does not have extensions, and it is not Open Source.

For the don't want to think about it person, it requires too much fiddling. (Example: my transient and ongoing eBay and PayPal problems.)

I think OGG Vorbis is something much better to feel bad about not being known.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Are YouTube videos acting kind of bizarre for anyone else or do I have to reinstall Flash or something?

EDIT: For clarification, the problem seems to be when you play a video and then scroll down that page. The video goes all wonky until the scrolling is finished.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 27, 2009

er0k
Nov 21, 2002

i like ham.

GuyGizmo posted:

haha I feel the same way...

there's a pretty good thread on the opera forums about it: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=267815

Someone there made the good point that pretty much every company (including Opera... fastest browser on earth?) does this, hyping up their product and claiming to be the best/fastest/coolest/most innovative/etc.

So yea, it sucks that everyone copies Opera and doesn't give them credit, but how else would stupid internet nerds like us fan our inflated sense of superiority? :smug:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

er0k posted:

So yea, it sucks that everyone copies Opera and doesn't give them credit, but how else would stupid internet nerds like us fan our inflated sense of superiority? :smug:

That and you got to figure that if people aren't ripping off Opera, something's wrong. :smug:

permabanned Arf
May 29, 2001

by Ozma
After years of trying to find an IRC client that would just not be a retard and had a nice simple interface and let me talk to people, I discovered the browser I'd been using for years had one built in. And its great.

I think from now on before I try to find software I'm just gonna look to see if Opera has it first because it has everything goddamn else.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Arf posted:

After years of trying to find an IRC client that would just not be a retard and had a nice simple interface and let me talk to people, I discovered the browser I'd been using for years had one built in. And its great.

I think from now on before I try to find software I'm just gonna look to see if Opera has it first because it has everything goddamn else.

Opera will end up as its own OS long before Google.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Here's something I've noticed lately:

I'm considering moving and I've been browsing apartment ads on Craigslist. Many of them have a link to the location on Google Maps. When I click this link, a new tab opens and begins to load the page, but after a few seconds I get "Still loading? Try basic HTML." I don't get this if I search for a location by hand. Actually, I do get this no matter how I use Google Maps. I think it might have something to do with it being stuck in satellite view? But the buttons to click and change it never get rendered.

EDIT: I went to Google Maps in IE and was able to change my view just fine there, now in Opera it also shows a Map view, but still times out before it's finished loading all the map stuff.

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 2, 2009

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Opera 9.64 is out, lots of security fixes.

Captain Tagon
Jun 15, 2005
Back and to the left.
I installed it, and my middleclick died :( Cant middleclick to open links in new tabs or close tabs, and google turns up blank for me. Shift-Click still works for both actions, the middleclick option in settings is still set for open in background tab, i changed nothing inbetween crashing opera* and installing the upgrade. Any ideas?

* I was reading the changelog
- Fixed a problem with inline find when no content was entered and the Enter key was pressed
I had to test it out. It crashed :v:

Edit: Actually, none of the mouse buttons are working, not my back\forth buttons or zoom in\out (Logitech MX 600). I changed nothing inbetween the crash and installing the new version and it was working before that - 3 mins earlier. Logitech Setpoint is installed but i changed nothing from one install to another so its got to be Opera - right?

Second edit: Closing and starting Opera again fixed it, whatever it was that did it. Yaaay

Captain Tagon fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 3, 2009

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

GuyGizmo posted:

As goonsay as this wall of text may seem, I'm kinda happy with where Opera is at the moment. They're making money, they're making progress, making cool changes with thier core product and still getting ripped off left and right. Perfect.

Here's where I come from: Everything about this browser still god drat amazes me. It does not seem possible to cram so much poo poo into this tiny little package and have it work on more platforms than people actually care about. The fact that it's small means it's coded tightly, the fact that it's not extensible to FF extremes means that it's not prone to potential bloat from careless 3rd parties, and the fact that it's the pinnacle of idea generation means that it has a promise of long life.

Opera's always been less than perfect in any one category... be it's polish, it's "compatibility", it's JS execution speed, marketing (heh), and many other places. It's this quirkyness that I believe keeps it the best. It's arcane to new users, too "last year" for bleeding edge 2.0 junkies, and too unsupported for businesses. All these lists add up to one conclusion in my eyes, that it will NEVER be top dog. The core dev team will never get too huge to be contained under one cold Oslo roof, the QA team will never fall asleep at meeting after countless meeting, the security team will still be trawling the internet for exploits and fixes, and the marketing team will never come up with a good idea ever, ever, ever. This means the browser will remain the LOVE of these people's work, not their stale dying horse, and all the efforts will be put into making it the best browser for years to come. New features will always be up for grabs.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Mar 4, 2009

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I recently moved to firefox and can't help but get strange feeling reminiscent of that era when IE was overtaking Nescape.
Firefox extensions make it so featureless (without them), long to configure and impossible to backup, inconsistent in behaviour because each extension developing neckbeard has his own retarded ideas about ergonomy...
If only Opera didn't slow down so much on my eee...

CT2049
Jul 24, 2007
I'm using the user script ospell.js in Opera 9.63 and it was working fine until about two weeks ago. Now whenever I try to spell check something it will go into a infinite loop of checking and never display back the results. Does anyone know what is going on?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

CT2049 posted:

I'm using the user script ospell.js in Opera 9.63 and it was working fine until about two weeks ago. Now whenever I try to spell check something it will go into a infinite loop of checking and never display back the results. Does anyone know what is going on?

It's telling you to upgrade to Opera 10 Alpha with built in spell checking.

CT2049
Jul 24, 2007
I'm a little weary of using an alpha release for my main browser, can I run it side by side with 9.x?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

CT2049 posted:

I'm a little weary of using an alpha release for my main browser, can I run it side by side with 9.x?

You should be using it, most of us are doing it.

But yes, it defaults to installing side by side.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Does Opera 10 Alpha have a usage checker? I can't tell if he's tired (weary) or cautious (wary).

CT2049
Jul 24, 2007

Casao posted:

You should be using it, most of us are doing it.

But yes, it defaults to installing side by side.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

I apparently suck at the english language in addition to opera knowledge.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

sm8000 posted:

Does Opera 10 Alpha have a usage checker? I can't tell if he's tired (weary) or cautious (wary).

Maybe he's tired of getting burned.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
On the subject of switching to Opera 10 Alpha, is there a way to upgrade to it or make this an easier process for me? I can only figure out how to install it side by side, and it doesn't apply all the UI mods (well, just rearranging) and keybinds I've set for Opera 9. I'd really like to be able to use Facebook without all of my Opera windows stuttering when something in that window changes.

Sorry if this was mentioned before. I assume it has been, but the previous few posts lead me to believe that upgrading directly was possible, which I thought it wasn't.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
God damned, I thought they had fixed this, but ever since the latest alpha Opera has been mixing up images again. Like in Facebook, it will mix up the icon for a photo with the icon for a status update, or try to use the photo icon as the border of a box or something stupid like that.

I had this same problem with 9.x, but the first two 10.0 alphas fixed it. Now, it's back. I thought it was maybe because in the latest alpha they hosed up the side-by-side install process*, but even uninstalling all versions of Opera, wiping out all of its data, and reinstalling leaves the problem. The only thing I carried over from the old install my my cookies4.dat and whatever Opera Link brought over.

This is annoying. I never know if an image on the page is the right image or what. Like, sometimes it switches around user pictures on Facebook, so Bob may get Sarah's picture; I can't trust what's on the page. It's just about converted me back to Firefox.

*The side-by-side install problem in the latest alpha is this: In the first 10.0 alpha opera not only created a new program files folder, but a new folder for your personal data in your user folder called "Opera 10" (as opposed to just "Opera".) The latest alpha ignored this new folder and somehow started using both the old folder and new one together, picking and choosing data from each data store in whatever random way it wanted. Really weird.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Check the paths in opera:about to ensure that a) you did remove everything b) it's not looking somewhere else for the cache?

Otherwise, you've got me. I've never seen that since the early 9 alphas.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Lakitu7 posted:

Check the paths in opera:about to ensure that a) you did remove everything b) it's not looking somewhere else for the cache?

Otherwise, you've got me. I've never seen that since the early 9 alphas.
Nope, I cleared out both C:\Users\[myname]\Appdata\Local\Opera and C:\Users\[myname]\Appdata\Roaming\Opera. opera:about also shows it's not looking anywhere wacky for the path.

Magicmat fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 6, 2009

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Meroin posted:

On the subject of switching to Opera 10 Alpha, is there a way to upgrade to it or make this an easier process for me? I can only figure out how to install it side by side, and it doesn't apply all the UI mods (well, just rearranging) and keybinds I've set for Opera 9. I'd really like to be able to use Facebook without all of my Opera windows stuttering when something in that window changes.

Sorry if this was mentioned before. I assume it has been, but the previous few posts lead me to believe that upgrading directly was possible, which I thought it wasn't.

Copy your profile from the Opera directory to the Opera 10 directory.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Magicmat posted:

God damned, I thought they had fixed this, but ever since the latest alpha Opera has been mixing up images again. Like in Facebook, it will mix up the icon for a photo with the icon for a status update, or try to use the photo icon as the border of a box or something stupid like that.

I had this same problem with 9.x, but the first two 10.0 alphas fixed it. Now, it's back. I thought it was maybe because in the latest alpha they hosed up the side-by-side install process*, but even uninstalling all versions of Opera, wiping out all of its data, and reinstalling leaves the problem. The only thing I carried over from the old install my my cookies4.dat and whatever Opera Link brought over.

This is annoying. I never know if an image on the page is the right image or what. Like, sometimes it switches around user pictures on Facebook, so Bob may get Sarah's picture; I can't trust what's on the page. It's just about converted me back to Firefox.

*The side-by-side install problem in the latest alpha is this: In the first 10.0 alpha opera not only created a new program files folder, but a new folder for your personal data in your user folder called "Opera 10" (as opposed to just "Opera".) The latest alpha ignored this new folder and somehow started using both the old folder and new one together, picking and choosing data from each data store in whatever random way it wanted. Really weird.
Clean out your settings. There's an option somewhere of how often it should look for updates on images set to a default value of 5 hours. Set this to "Always".

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

Zom Aur posted:

Clean out your settings. There's an option somewhere of how often it should look for updates on images set to a default value of 5 hours. Set this to "Always".
Nope, doesn't work. Changing the default value of when to check for new images to "always" just makes pages load really slow, but images are still mixed up on some pages.

The problem wasn't that there were old images, it's that there were the wrong image. Like Susy has Bob's avatar as hers on Facebook.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006
Anyone else running 9.64 and having pages not open period?

Our schools courses site just keeps spinning but doesn't actually load. A testable example is: http://www.tartanmaker.com/

It will never load, but works fine in FireFox. These sites worked in 9.63. I just want to check and see if this is a bug or just my machine.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

That page loads fine here.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Same here, 9.64 loaded it and ran the little tartan maker smoothly.

antimatter
Feb 14, 2005
I have been using opera for a few days and its quite nice, its bloody fast too! However I've been suffering an annoying bug/glitch, in that once in a while I will lose focus on the opera window, in that I can still do things with my mouse, but it just does not respond to key press at all.

To fix it, I just wait for a while, or alt/tab to several other programs and back, or switch to a different desktop and back then it start to work.

Opera/9.63 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.1.1

On Fedora 10.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Anybody else getting problems with subscribing to feeds in Opera 10 Alpha? It seems to have trouble generating the preview page sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005

Anunnaki posted:

Anybody else getting problems with subscribing to feeds in Opera 10 Alpha? It seems to have trouble generating the preview page sometimes.
I just submitted a bug report on that. For me, refreshing the preview page fixed it.

Anyone having trouble loading pages from feeds? I'm subscribed to some of the SA RSS feeds, and sometimes when I click links from the feed reader, the new tab opens but the page itself doesn't load until after I hit enter in the address bar.